• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

But that would violate my OTP of Hanano and Komano.

Besides, Team Taichi for life.

Heh. Whilst I enjoy the game playing (more than I do in Saki), I do have a strong desire for them to hurry up and just bring Arata back as a main cast member and for Chihaya/Arata.

Of course from manga talk I get the impression that aint happening.

Quasar

The movie was fine because it didn't really try to explain the world. It's just a place that existed and allowed for this "adventure" to happen. Learning about the world here doesn't really do many favours for it anyway.

Maybe. I'm curious enough though about the world at this point. I guess a better bet to deal with that desire is to just read the LN series its all based on. Assuming there's a translation.

I want YOU.
0YItsJL.jpg

To be my onii-chan

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You could put it in that thread and then link your post in here. Zel did that and I bought something off him.

That's what I'll do, I suppose. I have some games to sell so I'll gather those before producing a list.

Nisekoi 1

I've read the manga so my expectations were meh but this was done better than the manga! Love the videogame music. Good pacing. Like the character design and colors. Pleasantly surprised!

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 8

This episode took a different approach from past episodes. In prior episodes, the focus would be on Kino and her learning about the country she was in through her exploration and her conversations with various people there. In this one, however, we're told most of the prior information that usually we'd learn alongside Kino from Nimya, who tells about herself and the country she lives in prior to her meeting Kino. And the rest of the episode reflected the introduction, as this story was not about Nimya, not Kino and Hermes.

It was pretty entertaining how after Nimya landed from her flight, the chief, as well as the whole town, got down on all fours and begged for forgiveness from her for all of the trouble they had caused her and all the crap they gave her for what she was doing with her life. Not all that hard to understand though. It's a very conservative country whose sole focus was on crop production. To be performing experiments and building complex machines in a place like that, it's natural that she'd be a bit of an oddball among them. But when the fruits of her labor are there for everybody to see, and for them to see her flying through the air like that, all of those feelings they had toward her turned to wonder and respect for what a mind-boggling thing she just accomplished.

In that sort of environment though, a person like Kino coming along is exactly what Nimya needed. I don't think it was the ideas she gave her though; Nimya probably could have come up with those herself. It was just the support that Kino and Hermes gave her. They were the first people (well, person and motorcycle) she had ever met who didn't look on her with derision and think she was nuts. Rather, they were amazed and gave her the support to give this thing a go. And if they hadn't, the chief and the people would have destroyed her flying machine, and she would have been just like the old man whose journals she had read and who had been an outcast in that country because of his aspirations and ideas.

And I think that ultimately, that's why the episode began like it did. Because an intro like this show had in previous episodes would not adequately show just how massive the impact that Kino had on Nimya was. And in the end, that was the most important thing.

JoeFu

Banned
So I was bored today and decided to revisit an anime I haven't watched since it first came out back in 06, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya!

I wanted to rewatch it to see why I liked it back in high school. I didn't remember much about the show except for the ED I guess. I do remember the only reason I wanted to watch it was because of the Phoenix Wright tribute/animation thing. I'm pretty sure I caught up to the show to that point and followed it weekly till it ended.

This show still holds up! I'm enjoying my time watching it and get more of the references in the show like the Day of Sagittarius box art and I guess most of that episode... something I would have never gotten watching it back in high school.

I see there's a second season, and I guess I'll watch it, but what was the opinion on those? I never really heard much about it, but I remember back when the show originally aired Haruhi stuff was everywhere.

Heh. Whilst I enjoy the game playing (more than I do in Saki), I do have a strong desire for them to hurry up and just bring Arata back as a main cast member and for Chihaya/Arata.

Of course from manga talk I get the impression that aint happening.

I enjoy both the karuta and the romance, and I think they complement each other fairly well. Season 2 was fairly heavy on the karuta tournament, but I found it pretty thrilling on just about every level. I'd like to see a little more of the romance handled in the next season, but I'm also fine with more and more karuta because it's a lot of fun to watch, especially with all of the characters' thought processes.

No desire to ever see Chihaya/Arata, though, because Chihaya/Taichi is where it's at.

OceanBlue

I see there's a second season, and I guess I'll watch it, but what was the opinion on those? I never really heard much about it, but I remember back when the show originally aired Haruhi stuff was everywhere.

The movie is the high point of the entire series, in my opinion. Also go ahead and watch the second season. You might enjoy it. :D

Kino's Journey 8
*snip*

I liked that episode because it felt relatively heartwarming when compared to all the really deep and dark thought-provoking moments in that show. Not to say that that episode wasn't thought-provoking, I just liked the lighter tone it took.

But you're heading deeper into the show now. Next episode....oh man I can't even say anything about it. Brace yourself.

Valerian and Laureline 1-5

Similar to Cowboy Bebop and other western sci-fi, this show has fantastic leads and story telling. The world building has only started, but I also enjoy the creative alien designs. Just like with Space Dandy's aliens.

Buddy Complex Episode 2 Nice Coupling
tumblr_mzd8o4WHgg1qcd4zso2_500.gif

tumblr_mzd8o4WHgg1qcd4zso4_500.gif

Still offering the best mecha fix and best writing this season. Whoever is doing that this season is doing an excellent job and just continues to reinforce the idea that we are slowly but surely reaching the day when we'll have hardcore mecha anime with lots of BL elements for the human casts. The coupling, high compatibility, proposing, accepting, and more just really made this an all around episode, and then the high familiarity levels with Dio and his Buddy Aoba. Only thing this anime will disappoint with will be if it truly stays only 12 episodes and nothing more.

Syrinx

I liked that episode because it felt relatively heartwarming when compared to all the really deep and dark thought-provoking moments in that show. Not to say that that episode wasn't thought-provoking, I just liked the lighter tone it took.

But you're heading deeper into the show now. Next episode....oh man I can't even say anything about it. Brace yourself.

Seems like you've been hyping this episode for a while, lol. I guess I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Gazoinks

Remind me which episode the next one is?

Seems like you've been hyping this episode for a while, lol. I guess I'll have to check it out tomorrow.

Heh heh. I look forward to your impressions.

Remind me which episode the next one is?

SYRINX DON'T READ.

The one with the country of books, with the critics judging what's good or harmful, where this author person was really creepy and everything with all the talk about how they're all just characters in a story. That one.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, that was my bad. Was more excited at the prospect of yuri that I completely ignored the nsfw shot in the first pic. :lol

Gazoinks

SYRINX DON'T READ.

The one with the country of books, with the critics judging what's good or harmful, where this author person was really creepy and everything with all the talk about how they're all just characters in a story. That one.

Oooh, yes. That one was awesome.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 2

Everything feels rather adventurous and lighthearted to the point that I just have a shit-eating grin when shit gets real pretty soon.

zeroshiki

I enjoy both the karuta and the romance, and I think they complement each other fairly well. Season 2 was fairly heavy on the karuta tournament, but I found it pretty thrilling on just about every level. I'd like to see a little more of the romance handled in the next season, but I'm also fine with more and more karuta because it's a lot of fun to watch, especially with all of the characters' thought processes.

No desire to ever see Chihaya/Arata, though, because Chihaya/Taichi is where it's at.

*highfive*

Only terrorists like firehawk would root for a Chihaya/Arata pairing.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 2

Everything feels rather adventurous and lighthearted to the point that I just have a shit-eating grin when shit gets real pretty soon.

Have you seen the original 1999 version? I reread your impression of episode 1 and I can't help but wonder if you saw the original.

cajunator

Banned

Thats pretty awesome and very understandable. Who wouldnt want to protect these treasures?

Kino's Journey 8

This episode took a different approach from past episodes. In prior episodes, the focus would be on Kino and her learning about the country she was in through her exploration and her conversations with various people there. In this one, however, we're told most of the prior information that usually we'd learn alongside Kino from Nimya, who tells about herself and the country she lives in prior to her meeting Kino. And the rest of the episode reflected the introduction, as this story was not about Nimya, not Kino and Hermes.

It was pretty entertaining how after Nimya landed from her flight, the chief, as well as the whole town, got down on all fours and begged for forgiveness from her for all of the trouble they had caused her and all the crap they gave her for what she was doing with her life. Not all that hard to understand though. It's a very conservative country whose sole focus was on crop production. To be performing experiments and building complex machines in a place like that, it's natural that she'd be a bit of an oddball among them. But when the fruits of her labor are there for everybody to see, and for them to see her flying through the air like that, all of those feelings they had toward her turned to wonder and respect for what a mind-boggling thing she just accomplished.

In that sort of environment though, a person like Kino coming along is exactly what Nimya needed. I don't think it was the ideas she gave her though; Nimya probably could have come up with those herself. It was just the support that Kino and Hermes gave her. They were the first people (well, person and motorcycle) she had ever met who didn't look on her with derision and think she was nuts. Rather, they were amazed and gave her the support to give this thing a go. And if they hadn't, the chief and the people would have destroyed her flying machine, and she would have been just like the old man whose journals she had read and who had been an outcast in that country because of his aspirations and ideas.

And I think that ultimately, that's why the episode began like it did. Because an intro like this show had in previous episodes would not adequately show just how massive the impact that Kino had on Nimya was. And in the end, that was the most important thing.

This peisode as I stated before, is one of my top favorites in a series with few weak episodes. It was such an inspirational little story, NImya is so cute, and what she was doing though in the context of our modern world is no big deal, conjures up thoughts of what it would have been like for pioneers of lfight and the hardships and doubts they had to overcome and that people even to this day continue to overcome everytime the world insists that "it cant be done"
Damn what a fine episode. Theres even more greatness ahead. Kino doesnt let up..

Paranoia Agent 13

LOL.
You always have the absolute perfect reactions!
I await a more introspective approach shortly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
*highfive*

Only terrorists like firehawk would root for a Chihaya/Arata pairing.
The closest Taichi should get to Chihaya is Chihaya's sister.

But that would violate my OTP of Hanano and Komano.

Besides, Team Taichi for life.
I figure the other guy would hook up with kimono girl. Maybe Pork bun guy is the #secretbest choice for Chihaya.

But really, debating teams in Chihayafuru is pretty pointless, as we all know.

Maybe. I'm curious enough though about the world at this point. I guess a better bet to deal with that desire is to just read the LN series its all based on. Assuming there's a translation.
After Last Exile Fammy Fam Fam edition, I have no faith in pseudo futures govern by class and religious lines and "mysterious threats". The political machinations are almost never as interesting as the authors seem to think they are, because they exist in a vacuum that only purports to show that human beings are flawed. I can't imagine it'll be as nihilistically pointless as something like Game of Thrones, which is just a fancier version of East Enders, but the fact that they have a hollow rich guy be the villain simply because he's rich gives me pretty much no hope for any subtlety. That the main character is a prince just makes all this much more hollow, since once his identity is revealed, I'm sure the snivelling asshole will switch to jealous asshole or ass-kisser pretty quickly. I'd like to be proven wrong, but two episodes in I'm already scared. :p

Buddy Complex Episode 2 Nice Coupling
tumblr_mzd8o4WHgg1qcd4zso2_500.gif

tumblr_mzd8o4WHgg1qcd4zso4_500.gif

Still offering the best mecha fix and best writing this season. Whoever is doing that this season is doing an excellent job and just continues to reinforce the idea that we are slowly but surely reaching the day when we'll have hardcore mecha anime with lots of BL elements for the human casts. The coupling, high compatibility, proposing, accepting, and more just really made this an all around episode, and then the high familiarity levels with Dio and his Buddy Aoba. Only thing this anime will disappoint with will be if it truly stays only 12 episodes and nothing more.
I figured that you'd like it. lol

The closest Taichi should get to Chihaya is Chihaya's sister.

I figure the other guy would hook up with kimono girl. Maybe Pork bun guy is the #secretbest choice for Chihaya.

But really, debating teams in Chihayafuru is pretty pointless, as we all know.

That sounds like the sort of nonsense a filthy Chihaya/Arata heathen would try to spread in order to keep people from paying too much attention to how little sense that team makes.

Taichi is a loser and he'll always be a loser. No one can compete with Arata's dreamy Fukui ben.

Taichi's already achieved about as much as Arata without having a grandfather who taught him karuta or parents who actually supported his life choices. It just goes to show that even with all of his adversity, Taichi still comes out on top. That stuff is just to give Arata a puncher's chance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That sounds like the sort of nonsense a filthy Chihaya/Arata heathen would try to spread in order to keep people from paying too much attention to how little sense that team makes.
Admittedly, I haven't read the manga for months, but I think I can say that "ships" and relationships are the last thing that manga has in mind.

It's almost like debating which girl Luffy will end up with in One Piece. Hell, even though Gintoki x Tsukki is basically canon in Gintama, it's something that's just not an issue in the manga or the anime.

But, I mean, Taichi sucks anyway. The fact that they made him dump his girlfriend offscreen because the mangaka wanted to retcon that aspect of the love triangle out of the picture and just go for the 2 boys 1 girl thing basically shows how fickle he is anyway.

Besides, if you do read the manga, there IS a third option... a completely unexpected one. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Arata's accent is the worst hick accent you can find. Its like saying you like the Southern accent from Alabama or somewhere equally nowhere.
You say that as if you are saying that Southern accents aren't hot, which is just objectively wrong.

Mmmm, Raylan Givens.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 3

Ahh there's Hisoka and Killua. Fucking flower petals! I think I need to re-read to see if that was censorship because it just seemed rather absurd.

lol Tonpa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom