• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
I'm specifically talking about where the manga is right now, which is essentially an endless chain of no developments. I'm just saying it genre shifting would make it more interesting, just as it having actual drama or progression would make it more interesting.

As a non-manga reader Im not too affected by this.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters-14

I'm getting kinda sick of the bullshit interference. Just let the stuff play out naturally.

Also both the OP and ED's are serious step downs.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 7

Who wants to grab some old man's ball?

Here we go, Killua's darkside!
aka his Achilles Heel for this exam

Not sure if it's appropriate to ask here since it's an older anime, but anyone seen Le Chevalier d'Eon? Is it a good series? Is it similar at all to Versailles no Bara?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, formally dropping Nobunaga the Fool and Norigami because I have enough as it to watch on Sundays and these series just were not cutting the muster.

Yamada's First Time 1

Well the consensus is the same with Yamada, it'll get another chance. I mean, it doesn't really help where if we switched genders, this would have a different tone, which basically bothered something. Debatebly this probably would've hit my head too, but chances are, I'd probably would suspend my mind on that.

But man, two virgins interacting was like... one of the most awkward things I've ever witnessed, and the main female is giving me tsundere vibes. And she uses violence, so she's pretty much shit-tier to me already.

And the dude... *wants to beat my head in, too painful to witness* Gah, I'm sure it'll be hilarious when we try again later, but this didn't really go off for a good start overall.
This show (B Gata H Kei in Japanese) is a good show, but the manga probably is better, and the anime doesn't get anywhere near the end of the manga, either. Yes, the manga finished, but they didn't make any more anime, it must not have done that well. Too bad.
Eventually the "Yamada's First Time" title actually does come true, right near the end.
One weird thing about this series -- the main character never has her first name mentioned! She's just "Yamada", her family name. Why not give her a name? Very weird move.

Saki : Side-A - 04

Man, Kuro is awesome.. might be my favorite character in entire series. That Dora collecting power is hype as hell.. easily the most droolworthy superpower for playing Mahjong.

EDIT : Bah of course
Kuro got wrecked in the very next episode
Teru v. anyone was never going to end well, unfortunately I only hope that she can manage to do better somehow in the finals... Kuro's great and might be my favorite Achiga team member, but she sure got crushed badly there. :(

Saki : Side-A - 11

Goddamn the Toki gal is so badass, she playing Mahjong like this is some serious shit to save the world.

Kuro need to realize already she wasting her super hax skillz.. wake up dumbass, you're the biggest hax on there.
I'd say that they should make a Senriyama-hen sometime, but they kind of did in Achiga-hen, didn't they... :p There's a reason why people started to joke about the series being "Senriyama-hen" around eps 11 and 12. Of course, that changed back later on, as Achiga made a late comeback...

Saki : Side-A - 14

Unlike her coach, Arata is a clutch. This 4th round is rather awesome because all player is cold-headed and not too reliant to superpower or crazy specific tile pattern.
Achiga-hen started slow, but gets better and better as it goes along, for sure. It really comes together once it reaches the national tournament. That first round, with Teru and poor Kuro, was pretty good, and it just got better after that. The last match is by far the best, but yeah, Arata's is pretty good too. It's too bad that she gets so little screen time, though. For a character who looks a lot like some drawings of Ritz, Arata sure doesn't appear much... she's the Mako of Achiga. Too bad.

Saki : Side-A - 15

Just after I'm talking the last episode was rather grounded, we back to Supapowa galore! The moe Riddick is back too in chibi form this time!

Man the climax gonna so awesome.
Awesome it indeed is. Oh yeah, and in the last episode we FINALLY are told what the main character's power is, too. Took long enough. Mahjong with superpowers sure is fun... for the girls who have strong enough powers to win, that is. For the losers... not so much.

Saki : Side-A - 16

Pretty good warping up round, the last hand kinda underwhelming because its just some
altering winning hand thing
, I expect something that more badass..
Well, it won her the round against some pretty good competition, so it's a decently good power at least. It's got to be the strongest one on her not-really-superpowered team.

On the other hand, poor Ryuuka... Toki just couldn't put enough power into her thighs to get her through. Too bad, but Achiga and Shiraitodai had to win, so she really had no chance.

Overall this east semi-final is easily my favorite match in Saki, The Teru round is frigging awesome and very un-orthodox depiction of Mahjong match that masterfully executed using the superpower nature of the series, but Teru teammate is very underwhelming though, [
B]they blow 100k point lead.. what a bunch of scrubs.[/B]
Really? I think some of the matches from the first season were great too... but that WAS a pretty great match, I admit. Be prepared though, the upcoming matches in Saki S2 should be just as great! No Toki, unfortunately, but great otherwise.

Btw I don't see anything that deny Achiga being a best team, sure Toki from Senriyama is unarguably the best character with her effort for the crew successful attempt from Planet Number Two of the M-344/G system, but I don't like the rest of her team. I like Shindouji more with Subara and the superior yuri couple.. forget Shiraitoudai, like I said aside from Teru they're bunch of scrub. For me Achiga team playing the most interesting brand of Mahjong to watch from 4 team with Kuro super nasty power, Arata's tactically sound Mahjong and Shizuno's disabling power.
You like Achiga above Toki/Ryuuka, really? Eh, I like the Achiga team too, but Toki and co. really stole the show in Achiga-hen...

Now off to the other side with The Nationals!
"The first couple of rounds of side-B Nationals because the manga's only 40% of the way through the third round of the nationals", that is, most likely... but the second round was quite long and exciting. That should make for a great match in the anime.

Sakura Trick - 01

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely wonderful first episode and definitely a contender for my anime of the season. Loved the chemistry between Yuu and Haruka and how their first kiss came to be... their awkward pauses, shuffling back and forth before taking the plunge... adorable!!! Haruka using her playful nature to get what she wanted from Yuu had me fist pumping so hard over here! I definitely got some HidaSketch vibes as someone else mentioned before, which again is a great thing (watch HidaSketch if you haven't already, seriously) and I'm so jazzed to see that there appears to be two more pairings for us to gush over. HELL YES TO MORE SHIPS!

http://i.imgur.com/GAUgzMP.gif

Working for what felt like an eternity to come home and watch this was so worth it. Sooooooooo worth it. Winter Anime status: SAVED.
Is Hidamari Sketch yuri?

It's time to bring back Nichijou.

The best KyoAni show in the past 5 years.

Please KyoAni :(
There's nothing as good as Nichijou because apparently great comedy in the classic cartoon vein isn't nearly as popular as otaku humor. I like that too, but it's not even close to as good. And yet there's lots of that, but only one Nichijou. Such a shame... because Nichijou is one of the best comedy animes ever.

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales

Bolded are new ranks from the last update.

Also included are updated numbers of other previous shows.

Source
It's good to see that IS S2 did well enough that a third season sometime is very likely.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Right, formally dropping Nobunaga the Fool and Norigami because I have enough as it to watch on Sundays and these series just were not cutting the muster.
Mustard. Leonardo da Vinci wears mustard yellow in Nobunaga the Fool.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 8

PSA: Tonpa is a jerkwado

And more reminders that the animals are rather bizarre.

A look back that it's rather interesting that they hire prisoners to handle some of this shit, on top of giving them a potential benefit.

Danj

Just watched Buddy Complex ep2 this morning, thankfully "NICE COUPLING" didn't turn out as bad as I feared. I'm getting kind of a Gundam vibe from this show - new model giant robot, bad guys planning to steal it... it all seems rather familiar. Going to keep watching though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
SoniAni 1

This is the sadness-tinged tale of a girl who simultaneously juggles three jobs and degrades herself for lustful men with money just to be able to afford her dead-end marine biology course at the local community college and to keep her cats fed. Born with malformed ears that impair her hearing, she still aspires to be a guitarist and simultaneously navigates several social circles, but she can only open her heart and her home to animals, whose nonverbal communication makes her feel truly at ease.

Too young to cope with the ennui and stress of unending responsibility and toil, she spends what little free time she has eating rich desserts from chic patisseries, putting her at odds with a culture that fiercely rejects overindulgence and endangering the commoditization of her body that she relies on to support her lifestyle. How will she balance all of these conflicting considerations and achieve her dream of breaking onto the Japanese pop music scene with her all-girl band?

Especially when her manager is Japanese Sweet Tooth?

CaX4xlOl.jpg

Y'all just gonna let this one slide?

I'm rewatching Cowboy Bebop these days. I think I watched it 13 or 14 years ago! Man I forgot most episodes. Still, the vague impression I had (good, but a bit overrated by the anime fandom) is still maintained. There are some weak episodes...

Gazoinks

I'm rewatching Cowboy Bebop these days. I think I watched it 13 or 14 years ago! Man I forgot most episodes. Still, the vague impression I had (good, but a bit overrated by the anime fandom) is still maintained. There are some weak episodes...

I do agree that it's slightly overrated, but that's kind of natural given its stature. It's still great. I also felt like it basically consistently got better right up to the end. The last episode was so good.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 9

Would calling Kuripika's hate for spiders a phobia be considered an understatement?

And damn, apparently this phase lasts for quite some time. The Hunter exam certainly does take some time to get resolved just from looking at the CR listings.

Reknoc

Gundam Build Fighters - 14

Good ep. Some amazing moments from Rinko almost, almost, made up for her absence in the last episode. Ral was pretty awesome as well.

OP and ED are pretty awful, though the ED animation is neat.

Theonik

Humikane da gawd.

Valerian and Laureline 1-5

Similar to Cowboy Bebop and other western sci-fi, this show has fantastic leads and story telling. The world building has only started, but I also enjoy the creative alien designs. Just like with Space Dandy's aliens.
It's funny you mention Dandy, since Watanabe specifically brought some Satelight character designers on board to design them, some of which probably worked on Time Jam: Valerian and Laureline. (afaik)

Dresden

yamato - 21

Q18V5iC.jpg

I suppose this is where Okita and Co. must nobly decline the option of nuking Garmilas out of existence.

cnet128

Banned
So I was bored today and decided to revisit an anime I haven't watched since it first came out back in 06, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya!

I wanted to rewatch it to see why I liked it back in high school. I didn't remember much about the show except for the ED I guess. I do remember the only reason I wanted to watch it was because of the Phoenix Wright tribute/animation thing. I'm pretty sure I caught up to the show to that point and followed it weekly till it ended.

This show still holds up! I'm enjoying my time watching it and get more of the references in the show like the Day of Sagittarius box art and I guess most of that episode... something I would have never gotten watching it back in high school.

I see there's a second season, and I guess I'll watch it, but what was the opinion on those? I never really heard much about it, but I remember back when the show originally aired Haruhi stuff was everywhere.

You done fucked up. The second season episodes are best enjoyed mixed in with the first season episodes for proper chronological order (this is how they were originally aired) so if you were going to do a rewatch you should have done both at once.

The second season itself is still worth a watch, though. Just steel yourself for the Endless Eight arc if you aren't already aware of how deeply controversial that was. Even if you wind up hating the second season, it's worth it to get to the movie.

Kill La Kill 01-02

I like this show. Find it hard to believe people got off the hype wagon for this show, I guess people must not like the direction it goes because the first few episodes were quite enjoyable.

Eh, Kill la Kill is only bad if you were chronically overhyped and are comparing it to Gurren Lagann at every turn. By any other standards it's a super-enjoyable series.

...Hell, I was chronically overhyped and comparing it to Gurren Lagann a fair amount, and I'm still loving it for the most part.

Onodera is KanaHana. That was a big part of the decision. a very important one.

noooooooooooooo KanaHana's voice coming out of Onodera's mouth is wrooooooong

lol Cwa**ior had a meltdown in the AOTY thread and called duckroll a ring leader.

Obama breathes a sigh of relief as a new scapegoat emerges to shoulder the burden of everything wrong with the world. "Thanks duckroll" the masses cried. "Now we'll never be better than the Oscars."

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm sorry to report that all the celebrity guests I invited to announce the results for the rewards have pulled out after seeing the allegation of rigging.

Thanks duckroll!

Taruranto

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 5

You know, slapping x in the episode titles makes it kind of lewd. I mean, Hisoka x is so x Sneaky. Even kind of gave him a lewd presence despite his killer instincts (and future knowledge of things). Maybe... just maybe it was just right.

They whole show is just one big gay metaphor by Togashi. What do you think Hunter x Hunter stands for?
Gon x Killua

cnet128

Banned
lol Cwa**ior had a meltdown in the AOTY thread and called duckroll a ring leader.

Hah.

Oddly enough, I kind of dislike the movie/show split precisely because it sells Wolf Children short. Of course Wolf Children is going to win when it's up against a tiny selection of other candidates most of which can't really compare and barely anyone watched. It would feel more meaningful to have it achieve a high position among the multitude of shows that people actually watched and care about.

Plus if people are ranking everything together, it's easy enough to separate it out into movies and shows afterwards and see what the results would have been like for each category separately. Whereas if people are making separate rankings to begin with, combining them after the fact is basically impossible, so we'll never know what could have been.

...Not that any of this has much to do with duckroll either way =p

Hah.

Oddly enough, I kind of dislike the movie/show split precisely because it sells Wolf Children short. Of course Wolf Children is going to win when it's up against a tiny selection of other candidates most of which can't really compare and barely anyone watched. It would feel more meaningful to have it achieve a high position among the multitude of shows that people actually watched and care about.

Plus if people are ranking everything together, it's easy enough to separate it out into movies and shows afterwards and see what the results would have been like for each category separately. Whereas if people are making separate rankings to begin with, combining them after the fact is basically impossible, so we'll never know what could have been.

...Not that any of this has much to do with duckroll either way =p

I agree with you on this. I wanted to place Wolf Children high on my top 10. Putting it ahead of the other films this year feels like a lesser acknowledgement.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Will be funny if something else, like LWA, actually wins.

Also I don't see the beef. Films and TV already have separate rewards because they are consumed differently so it's not odd for us to do the same here. In fact some even said it should be broken down further so that films and the other one off shows like OVAs are separated from each other.

Also it would have been oh so much more useful if you actually said this stuff the months before when it was all discussed.

KnK bomba. There is some justice.

Will be funny if something else, like LWA, actually wins.

Also I don't see the beef. Films and TV already have separate rewards because they are consumed differently so it's not odd for us to do the same here. In fact some even said it should be broken down further so that films and the other one off shows like OVAs are separated from each other.
I think OVAs work ok with films, it's the ONAs that should probably get their own category.
Also it would have been oh so much more useful if you actually said this stuff the months before when it was all discussed
The format for this year is fine. I've grumbled about it, but it works well enough that there's no reason to get too worked up about it.

cnet128

Banned
Also it would have been oh so much more useful if you actually said this stuff the months before when it was all discussed.

Yeah, I kind of wish I had discussed this point earlier, but at the time I hadn't actually watched any movies so it didn't really occur to me xp

Heck, it was the AOTY awards that prompted me to finally get off my ass and watch Wolf Children. Who knows, I might not have even bothered if there hadn't been a whole separate category to fill out. So this method does have its advantages!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The format for this year is fine. I've grumbled about it, but it works well enough that there's no reason to get too worked up about it.

Just odd that everyone is grumbling about it after the threads creation and people have voted when all this was discussed months before the thread was made. The suggestion was put forward, lots of people liked the idea so I went ahead with it. Then suddenly all the counter arguments appeared. At least duckroll's big complaint (fanwank awards are not necessary) was voiced before the thread was made even if he did take it into his own hands to fix it.

Yeah, I kind of wish I had discussed this point earlier, but at the time I hadn't actually watched any movies so it didn't really occur to me xp

Heck, it was the AOTY awards that prompted me to finally get off my ass and watch Wolf Children. Who knows, I might not have even bothered if there hadn't been a whole separate category to fill out. So this method does have its advantages!
And that was the main reason for it. Not so much Wolf Children, but to highlight all the other one off shows that may have been forgotten amongst the stream of anime series.

Just odd that everyone is grumbling about it after the threads creation and people have voted when all this was discussed months before the thread was made. The suggestion was put forward, lots of people liked the idea so I went ahead with it. Then suddenly all the counter arguments appeared. At least duckroll's big complaint (fanwank awards are not necessary) was voiced before the thread was made even if he did take it into his own hands to fix it.

Eh, every discussion I have seen about the voting process has had multiple opinions about how it should be done. I'm not sure why you are acting like there was some overwhelming consensus that all of a sudden people are speaking out against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom