• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Saint☆Young Men:The Movie
ibi62RNhLKPF8D.png
This was even better than the OVA. I was rolling at some parts.
A very nice surprise. Iesus is the most moe.

jman2050

Eh, Kill la Kill is only bad if you were chronically overhyped and are comparing it to Gurren Lagann at every turn. By any other standards it's a super-enjoyable series.

...Hell, I was chronically overhyped and comparing it to Gurren Lagann a fair amount, and I'm still loving it for the most part.

Eh this logic never stuck with me cause I wasn't a huge fan of GL to begin with and I thought KLK was the superior show from day 1.

Pooya

kill la kill - 13

So couldn't they just end episode 12 like how this episode ended? This break between them seems really pointless right now, it's like they said we need one more episode, so let's have this one where Ryuko is all emo and let's have cuts of several locations and characters say stuff which don't really mean anything, they don't advance the plot either.

Actually this thing happening at the end of episode 12 would have made for a more exciting ending, now they could have focused on Satsuki's plans etc or what Ryuko is going to do now after what happened instead they came up with a little lame mini plot to do what almost was going to happen anyway in last episode, now everything that actually happened in the end of ep12 feels redundant.

Not really, it just lacks pacing, interesting characters, and in some cases, animation.

I remember when it was first announced and we saw art, it was described as a fighting anime. I questioned if girls wearing short skirts would make a good fighting anime considering gainax's history of needless fanservice. Then that costume was revealed and I saw the first 2 episodes and all my hype turned into disappointment. Not to mention that the series was about fighting and yet the fights were not even that good.

Theonik

KLK is a show about Imaishi telling us about the Vice of being enslaved to clothing.
Not sure where the fighting fits in!

KLK is a show about Imaishi telling us about the Vice of being enslaved to clothing.
Not sure where the fighting fits in!

Can't hate a show that has some of the nicest butts of 2013.

But yeah, I enjoy the show alot more than I did GL, but there are definitely moments where I feel like it really slacks. I was also never into the pre-hype so that might have a little to do with it.

Acosta

GTO 33

This arc is so great, and to think I was unconvinced of GTO the two first episodes... lol.

Just started to watch this episode but I had to share this pic:

Dat smug, so scary, who would want to mess with this girl? Really my favorite student.

Edit: This chapter was soooo great hahaha

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gurren Lagann is the only Imaishi-directed show I've ever found tolerable.

I'm with you about Imaishi
t

But for me KLK is the first show of his I've really liked. TTGL was okay. Panty and Stocking was literally shit. It winning GAF AOTY over Tatami Galaxy is still one of the biggest disgraces that this forum has ever experienced.

TTGL >>>>> Panty and Stocking >>>>>>>>>> KLK

TTGL had great characters, plot and fights.

Panty and Stocking reminded me of the old cartoon network cartoons like powerpuff girls, Dexter's lab and was quite funny. Of course its very lewd, but that wasn't the main attraction.

CorvoSol

TTGL >>>>> Panty and Stocking >>>>>>>>>> KLK

TTGL had great characters, plot and fights.

Panty and Stocking reminded me of the old cartoon network cartoons like powerpuff girls, Dexter's lab and was quite funny. Of course its very lewd, but that wasn't the main attraction.

It's amazing how I can agree and disagree with you so much at the same time. P&S is inarguably the worst of the three, but it also reminds me of old school Cartoon Network shoes, which did endear it to me.

Still the worst of the three by a long shot.

fertygo

Tamako sold even less, and we're getting a theatrical movie. You really think KyoAni will stop when they own the IPs?

Maybe the Tamako movie already planned when the project started, so the plan still continue even after the sales bombed *finger crossed*

Like other LN publisher they will chose gone through another bomba and bomba till they found another hit than continuing milking disappointing performer.

JoeFu

Banned
You done fucked up. The second season episodes are best enjoyed mixed in with the first season episodes for proper chronological order (this is how they were originally aired) so if you were going to do a rewatch you should have done both at once.

The second season itself is still worth a watch, though. Just steel yourself for the Endless Eight arc if you aren't already aware of how deeply controversial that was. Even if you wind up hating the second season, it's worth it to get to the movie.

I had no idea they redid the airing and thought the second season was a thing on it's own. I remember the original show aired in a weird order, but I really liked how they did it back then. Not sure I really need to watch the show in chronological order.

Should I just skip the endless eight or is it worth watching them just to see whats different. I'm currently on the second episode of the endless eight.

edit: well the second episode is certainly different from the first one. how are they going to do this 6 more times

It doesn't work in the same way, but Niconico gets the most series every season. Sometimes more than CR. With Nico each new episode is free the first week it's up, and after that you have to pay per episode to watch backlogs.

is it at least itunes/amazon/etc tv show pricing? a dollar per eps or what not?

oh wait this is japan.

Serious

It doesn't work in the same way, but Niconico gets the most series every season. Sometimes more than CR. With Nico each new episode is free the first week it's up, and after that you have to pay per episode to watch backlogs.

Plus let's not forget that they can, you know, actually watch it on TV. Or DVR it.

zeroshiki

I'm not personally familiar with the Nico prices but PSN has shows for rent for, like, 400 yen an episode. (Yamato is 650 from ep2 on, wtf)

Or you know you could, you know, just watch the anime on TV.

cnet128

Banned
It's amazing how I can agree and disagree with you so much at the same time. P&S is inarguably the worst of the three, but it also reminds me of old school Cartoon Network shoes, which did endear it to me.

Still the worst of the three by a long shot.

I wholeheartedly endorse this opinion.

I had no idea they redid the airing and thought the second season was a thing on it's own. I remember the original show aired in a weird order, but I really liked how they did it back then. Not sure I really need to watch the show in chronological order.

Should I just skip the endless eight or is it worth watching them just to see whats different. I'm currently on the second episode of the endless eight.

The only Endless Eight episodes that are really necessary are the first, second and final, but I personally watched the whole lot (some of them more than once >.> I'm not a masochist I swear) and there are some interesting little touches in some of them if you're willing to slog through. (As I recall, there was an episode in there where they went pretty heavy on the "deja vu" effects, which was kind of cool, and one where all the VAs seemed to be overacting quite a bit...)

Plus let's not forget that they can, you know, actually watch it on TV. Or DVR it.

Assuming it's actually airing in their region, of course. And even if it is, the airing schedule is usually staggered a fair bit such that Tokyo generally gets the episodes before anywhere else does.

zeroshiki

Assuming it's actually airing in their region, of course. And even if it is, the airing schedule is usually staggered a fair bit such that Tokyo generally gets the episodes before anywhere else does.

If you live in the correct part of Tokyo, you're only screwed out of the MBS stuff from Osaka for a day. But if you're unlucky enough to not get reception to Chiba TV or TV Kanagawa, there are a bunch of shows that air much later in Tokyo MX (for example, Hyouka first showed on Chiba TV, AKB0048 on TVK).

cajunator

Banned
You done fucked up. The second season episodes are best enjoyed mixed in with the first season episodes for proper chronological order (this is how they were originally aired) so if you were going to do a rewatch you should have done both at once.

The second season itself is still worth a watch, though. Just steel yourself for the Endless Eight arc if you aren't already aware of how deeply controversial that was. Even if you wind up hating the second season, it's worth it to get to the movie.

Eh, Kill la Kill is only bad if you were chronically overhyped and are comparing it to Gurren Lagann at every turn. By any other standards it's a super-enjoyable series.

...Hell, I was chronically overhyped and comparing it to Gurren Lagann a fair amount, and I'm still loving it for the most part.

noooooooooooooo KanaHana's voice coming out of Onodera's mouth is wrooooooong

I disagree. Think shes perfect for Onadera, but Ive only seen one episode of this show so I dont have much of a sample.

the little penis monster pet in Compile Heart's new game here (Extremely NSFW) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740629

is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, lololololol

Penis monster pet? I dont see anything like that?

Low sales for Kill La Kill. disappointing.

Was the Last Exile good? It's not a show many talk about here.

Yes It was quite good except for

The first 3/4 were good.

the ending..

Firemind

GTO 33

This arc is so great, and to think I was unconvinced of GTO the two first episodes... lol.

Dat smug, so scary, who would want to mess with this girl? Really my favorite student.

Urumi mai waifu

Nafe

Not 100% because I have a cold... :(

Happy Birthday madp. (formally known as mad pierrot)
Formally known as ulysses
. Have a good day. :)

Aside from the threads slanting towards the topic of anime, this looks a lot like NeoGaf's OT to me. Taking a look at the topics of OT lately reminded me of why I pretty much never look at it and it was kind of luck that I found the Anime thread at all.

Branduil said:

Haha, "I understood that reference".

I forgot about that line in the show. Aside from some things like some iffy CG in spots, I found Girls und Panzer to just be a well made and really fun show. One of my personal favorites anyway.

fertygo

Gundam Build Fighters 14

Aw yiss, Ramba Ral!
BTW Reiji x Aila >>> Kamille x Four #truthfact

And I blame Haly for they actually playing gunpla kart in this eps. The Preview looked awesome.

cajunator

Banned
Happy Birthday MadP!

So AnimeLimited detailed the contents of the TTGL Ultimate set they are releasing.
Specifically it will contain:

I do wonder what the extra materials will entail and whether they can secure the DS Ovas at least.
Here is the link

Lucky UK :(

Here's what the anime DVD/BD industry looks like in Japan:

<1k to 2k per volume - Niche shows which you might hear recommended a lot on certain anime blogs or on forums because they're unique, but no one else ever talks about.

3k to 6k per volume - These are most shows you'll probably hear about while they're airing because people do watch them, but they're disposable entertainment which won't have much traction. Might also include more "successful" stuff from the previous category.

7k to 10k+ per volume - These are the more popular shows which have decent franchising and staying power. Shows which can be considered popular enough to retain a decent fanbase which encourages sequels or more seasons/spinoffs.

15k to 20k+ per volume - These shows are generally considered very popular stuff with some mainstream penetration. Stuff like Gundam, Code Geass, Jojo, Kuroba, and so on.

40k to 60k per volume - The cream of the crop in terms of success for TV anime. These are the shows which are so popular they are a real cultural phenomenon in Japan.

That's TV anime. Because the pricing is so insane, the barrier to entry is totally not viable for normal people to buy. A volume containing 2-3 episodes generally costs 70-90 bucks. Collecting a complete series, even a 12 episode one, costs hundreds. If we look at OVAs and movies, which are more affordable because you can get a complete film or all OVAs for a fraction of the cost of a series, they sell a lot more. Even a commercial failure of a film can expect to sell over 10k. Stuff which is remotely popular should be able to do 30-50k. Hits generally do 100k to 200k. Then beyond that there's a huge gap towards stuff which is totally something else - Ghibli stuff have insane legs and Miyazaki stuff can sell a million or more. Eva can sell over 500k.

This is always useful information. Thanks Ducky!

Here is bunch of data if you want to search more.

So is this. Was looking for this data again actually.

GTO 33

ExzWCyN.jpg

Urumi mai waifu

SO freaking true .. my first "don't mess with this girl" in manga / anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom