• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 episodes consisting of shitty filler.

Yay!
Nah, it'll probably be more like S2 -- 99% fanservicey filler, 1% plot. They always made sure to have at least a couple of seconds of plot in each episode in S2, after all! :S

Was the Last Exile good? It's not a show many talk about here.
The original series is really great, one of the better animes from the early '00s. The more recent second series is a pretty big disappointment that isn't really worth watching.

I will buy DVDs if I know the series did not have a Blu-ray release in Japan. Out of the 30+ anime titles I own only three were titles that lacked an initial BD release, but I bought the DVDs as the BDs may take years to come out. So far two of the three titles have had BD finally released (Heaven's Lost Property: Forte and MM!), but those Railgun BDs (and Index I suppose) still have yet to be announced as I assume Geneon's renaming to NBCUniversal may have something to do with this. There's also the chance that FUNimation may never get the BD rights to those two series, but I would hope not with them recently licensing Index II, the Index Movie, and hopefully Railgun S.

I'm trying to hold out on Index/Railgun, but I'll likely bite before too long. I'm sure whenever I do that a BD release will be announced the very next day :/.

cnet128

Banned
Yes they did air all of them back to back to back.

Yes it was torturous.

Yes some silly dudes have tried to retroactively paint it as "brilliant" and not one of the worst decisions ever made in the production of a television show.

Well, in retrospect you can kind of see why they did it. Clearly Kadokawa/KyoAni had plans to make a movie of Disappearance first, and then there was a conversation like this:

Executive A: Guys, we have a problem. The plot of Disappearance specifically references an earlier short story that we didn't cover in our original adaptation. We have to cover that somehow before releasing the movie.

Executive B: So make another series of the anime, I guess? Haven't the fans been asking for that forever? What's the issue?

Executive A: We don't have enough material to fill a whole new cour! There are only, like, three stories we haven't covered that take place before Disappearance, and none of them have enough impact to carry a season!

Executive B: Well, we did that weird non-chronological airing thing last time, right? Let's keep thinking out of the box. If the new stories aren't awesome enough on their own, maybe we could just slot the new stuff into the old season. Call it an upgrade.

Executive A: I…suppose that could work. We could surprise the fans by pretending it's just a rerun and then BOOM! New stuff. Yeah! We'd be the talk of the internet!

Executive B: Then let's go with that!

Executive A: There's still a problem, though. Even if we slot them into the old season, we're still gonna have to fill a whole second cour with these new episodes. Those three stories are never going to fill a whole cour - two of them are tiny one-chapter deals, and even the big one is five episodes at most.

Executive C: Oh, just shove in a few recap episodes, what's so hard about that?

Executive A: If you make a suggestion like that again, I'm sending you back to Shaft. We don't do recaps.

Executive B: Seriously, dude. That was low. Still, we do have to pad the material out somehow. How about expanding on one of the stories?

Executive A: Go on...

Executive B: Well…If I'm remembering correctly, one of the stories revolves around a time loop. You only get to see the final loop in the novel, but if we showed some of the others…

Executive A: What's that story called again?

Executive B: Endless Eight.

Executive A: …Endless…Eight…?

Executive B: …

Executive C: …

Executive A: Gentlemen, we are about to enact the most glorious troll in all of anime history.

Im so confused ;_;
I just want a consistent collection of durable blurays

Sorry, are you confused as to what I stated about my personal buying choices or about whether the anime licensor has the rights to sell a product on Blu-ray later on (Kadokawa and NBCUniversal titles) after a DVD-only release?

cajunator

Banned
Nah, it'll probably be more like S2 -- 99% fanservicey filler, 1% plot. They always made sure to have at least a couple of seconds of plot in each episode in S2, after all! :S

The original series is really great, one of the better animes from the early '00s. The more recent second series is a pretty big disappointment that isn't really worth watching.

Fam is pretty cute. Last Exile 2 doesnt compare to 1 because of how epic it was in comparison. Fam is a really fun crazy little air pirate though. Plus they
brought back Dio

I'm trying to hold out on Index/Railgun, but I'll likely bite before too long. I'm sure whenever I do that a BD release will be announced the very next day :/.

Ive got the DVDs already. I guess I should be happy with that.
Do yall think I should just go for the Future diary DVDs too? Whats the likelihood of bluray?

Apparently FUNimation is releasing Is This A Zombie (S1) on BD/DVD combo under the Anime Classics label.

http://twitpic.com/ds9oe3

Might buy.

inb4 death treats.

Its sad that I'm basically waiting for the news about this.

Seems about right.

Should add in that Rin has no screentime so it stays consistent.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Endless Eight isn't the most glorious troll in anime history. That undermines it as being just a joke. It is a stroke of genius and should be regarded only as such.

Ive got the DVDs already. I guess I should be happy with that.
Do yall think I should just go for the Future diary DVDs too? Whats the likelihood of bluray?

I would assume whenever Kadokawa allows FUNimation to do so, or perhaps FUNimation is waiting for the rights to the Future Diary OVA before releasing a Blu-ray package.

fertygo

If they remade City Hunter, Space Cobra, Bebop, and Utena, it'd probably save me a lot of time!

Bebop not looked outdated at all, its might be the prettiest TV anime of all time (CG aside) in fact no anime/cartoon outside the one from 60/70s with extremely cheap technique looked "outdated"

Do you see the penis here?

e0Er4hr.gif

cajunator

Banned
Sorry, are you confused as to what I stated about my personal buying choices or about whether the anime licensor has the rights to sell a product on Blu-ray later on (Kadokawa and NBCUniversal titles) after a DVD-only release?

No Im just confused as to the whole state of bluray and when to buy DVD only or not. I guess I could ask you guys when I see a DVD only title on rightstuf whether I should buy or wait it out. Yall seem to know better the likelihood of me getting screwed over or not.

I would assume whenever Kadokawa allows FUNimation to do so, or perhaps FUNimation is waiting for the rights to the Future Diary OVA before releasing a Blu-ray package.

Ill hold out a bit longer. Just dont want the DVD to be the only available and for it to sell out and go OOP thus fucking me over in the process. This has happened and I paid a quite stupid amount of money for OOP items before.

I wonder, How many dvdx/BDs did they get to sell of Endless Eight?

Pretty sure there were at least four DVD releases for Endless Eight. Marketing genius!

No Im just confused as to the whole state of bluray and when to buy DVD only or not. I guess I could ask you guys when I see a DVD only title on rightstuf whether I should buy or wait it out. Yall seem to know better the likelihood of me getting screwed over or not.

Ill hold out a bit longer. Just dont want the DVD to be the only available and for it to sell out and go OOP thus fucking me over in the process. This has happened and I paid a quite stupid amount of money for OOP items before.

Blu-ray rights really depend on the licensor. FUNimation's past Kadokawa releases have been DVD-only with a Blu-ray release a few months to over a year later. Sentai Filmworks used to only sell Blu-rays if it had an English dub, but now they are starting to do BD sub-only releases. Then there is Aniplex USA releasing DVD-only releases that may never get a Blu-ray, are limited time only Blu-rays, or are overpriced domestic/import releases.

Quasar

Heck, it was the AOTY awards that prompted me to finally get off my ass and watch Wolf Children. Who knows, I might not have even bothered if there hadn't been a whole separate category to fill out. So this method does have its advantages!

I'm glad simply because people don't talk about films much and so even with a shorter list it exposes me to more films.

cajunator

Banned
Pretty sure there were at least four DVD releases for Endless Eight. Marketing genius!

Blu-ray rights really depend on the licensor. FUNimation's past Kadokawa releases have been DVD-only with a Blu-ray release a few months to over a year later. Sentai Filmworks used to only sell Blu-rays if it had an English dub, but now they are starting to do BD sub-only releases. Then there is Aniplex USA releasing DVD-only releases that may never get a Blu-ray, are limited time only Blu-rays, or are overpriced domestic/import releases.

Ill try to keep these points in mind.

I'll at least hold off on any DVD-only Funimation releases from now on.

Yeah same.

Seems about right.

Should add in that Rin has no screentime so it stays consistent.
Oh, right. It was pretty impressive how they managed to make me feel bad for a character who I thought was the second worst member of the harem in S1... but, by ignoring her so completely, season 2 managed it. Poor Rin. I hope they do change this in S2; Rin's not a great character, particularly since S2 took away her one unique character trait by having all of the girls beat on him instead of just Rin like it was in S1, but she deserves a little more than S2 gave her, at least.

Fam is pretty cute. Last Exile 2 doesnt compare to 1 because of how epic it was in comparison. Fam is a really fun crazy little air pirate though. Plus they
brought back Dio

Fam is kind of annoying at times (she can be dumb...), but yeah, she's not the problem with the show; I like that they had a female lead, and also like that they ditched the harem aspect of S1 as well. My biggest problems with it were with the plot, the villains, and some of the other characters. The villains were generic and I didn't think that their plan never really made all that much logical sense.
"There aren't enough resources so we'll massacre new arrivals" or something? Oh come ON! That's stupid. I know there was more to it than that, but isn't that sort of what it came down to?
The older princess actually buying into it didn't make sense either. They kind of felt like Nazi-analogs, to me... it was a big step down from the Guild in S1, who were much more interesting and had some more complexity. And outside of the villains S1 had a better plot all-around, too. It's definitely more epic, too, you're right about that.

Endless Eight didn't become a problem to me until 5-6-7, where there was almost no change over the course of the three episodes. First episode, fine. Second episode, establishes that its a loop. Third episode is when they "discover" the loop. Fourth episode lets it sink in. Then 5, 6 and 7 its like, alright get on with it. Even 8 played out the same way just with the last five minutes Kyon "figuring it out."

It was an interesting concept that becomes less of an issue when you can watch the shows on-demand, but I can understand people who watched it as it was broadcast going batshit crazy.

That said, the earlier discussion prompted me to rewatch Disappearance again this morning. So good. So, so good.

So can I join in with the people who recommend Time Jam: Valerian and Laureline? The u wot m8 bri'ish voices take a couple of episodes to get used to, but if you're a fan of the more light hearted Doctor Who episodes, or light hearted sci fi episodes of anything, I highly recommend it. I'm 7 episodes in and loving it.

Conan-san

I'm pretty sure the sales for season two averaged around 16k per volume, including Endless Eight lol.
Pretty much why I have no sense of comrade with the Japanese fanbase, really. The companies spaz out going "Oh gotta stop reverse importation" but it's clear that their customers can and will take it right up the rear end pretty much on call.

Probably no surprise that it right about then things started really sucking until about '11 with Madoka, Titan, etc.

Phi Brain (S2) 41-43

So, Kaito never was taken over by the ring in season 1, so my question is... is it just the replicas that cause the psychosis? I'm not entirely sure about this, considering
Rook had a real one last season during the reveal he was a Phi Brain candidate

That being asked though, Herbert being completely overwritten by having two rings was interesting. I was wondering when both his eyes would glow. Only a few more eps to this season. I actually am enjoying it slightly (ever so slightly) than season 1 so far.

Phi Brain (S2) 41-43

So, Kaito never was taken over by the ring in season 1, so my question is... is it just the replicas that cause the psychosis? I'm not entirely sure about this, considering
Rook had a real one last season during the reveal he was a Phi Brain candidate

That being asked though, Herbert being completely overwritten by having two rings was interesting. I was wondering when both his eyes would glow. Only a few more eps to this season. I actually am enjoying it slightly (ever so slightly) than season 1 so far.

I think S2 is a bit more exciting than s1, the new cast is really good especially Free Cell and the puzzles too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom