• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

Yamato 2199 ~Fin

Everything is dark. Nothing can fill this void

Couldn't have asked for anything more. It has been an honour.

LqoA0RR.jpg

"GHALE DESSLER!"

Standout moments:

Yukikaze death scene in episode 1

Kodai and Yuki floating in space in episode 23 or 24

Both battles between the Yamato and General Domel

CorvoSol

Ironically, the most outdated period of anime is the early '00s when they switched to digital and now all of those shows are locked at SD resolutions forever :(

And this is why CG mecha will forever be SHIT.

fucking finally

RPSY0nkl.jpg

Hmmmmm. I may have to bite for this.

Why, it's the Gundam Maxter, pride of Neo America!
And his pilot, Chibodee Crocket!! (in alt colors!)

Oh dude I didn't even realize that that was Chibodee and Soma the first time, hahaha.

Style > Substance.

I was told they were the same thing.
#TeamSubstance

Madp told me there was exposed midriff in Heartcatch and I watched it, that's how easy it is to sell Precure.

NEVER.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 2

Man, Doremi and Momoko are gonna age years having to deal with Hana-chan in sixth grade with them, not knowing rules and norms and shit. Her messing with Reika's pencil and eraser was funny though. If nothing else, that pair should be entertaining.

Still miss baby Hana-chan though.

Branduil

Yamato 14

Was this their take on Eva, with the confusing memories viewed by each other and just general wtf is going on here. I have no idea what this episode was about, and am even more puzzled on who Yuki really is and also the girl with a fringe and moe eyes.

More like RahXephon redux.

Theonik

Instead of simply giving up, I hoped to leverage this thread's bandwagon effect, and to a limited extent it worked.

It just took a long time.
I am simply saying that people who aren't sold on the above description are terrible people.
This is in jest. Naturally the more people who watch the show the better especially if you want to make it a thing though I think stuff like Doremi is an a great disadvantage.
Maybe if this was 2001...

Question for animeGAF:

Which anime would you say has your favorite over-arching cast? Aka recurring characters that appear almost in every episode outside the main cast (think Simpsons)

For me it'd have to be Gintama. I can't think of a single recurring character I didn't love.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I am simply saying that people who aren't sold on the above description are terrible people.
This is in jest. Naturally the more people who watch the show the better especially if you want to make it a thing though I think stuff like Doremi is an a great disadvantage.
Maybe if this was 2001...
It wasn't even fully in English until this year, so talk about this being 2001 or not is moot!

Question for animeGAF:

Which anime would you say has your favorite over-arching cast? Aka recurring characters that appear almost in every episode outside the main cast (think Simpsons)

For me it'd have to be Gintama. I can't think of a single recurring character I didn't love.
Hidamari Sketch is pretty much my default answer for everything. Also two characters voiced by Miyukichi, what a steal!

Kansoku

Hamatora - 2

Good episode. I'm really enjoying this show. And the plot is a little bit crazy.

Anyway, it's just me, or the new OP animation is so much better?

Theonik

It wasn't even fully in English until this year, so talk about this being 2001 or not is moot!
It's not about complete subs, it's more it being new! It's easier to get people to watch long stuff before it accumulates than to get them on board later when it's 170 episodes, dated and they are watching 10 shows already.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's not about complete subs, it's more it being new! It's easier to get people to watch long stuff before it accumulates than to get them on board later when it's 170 episodes, dated and they are watching 10 shows already.
Fair point, but a lot of people could stand to ease up on keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to watching current anime.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 19

Talking solves everything.

Also copious amount of child abuse. In a way, HxH existing as it is probably a miracle these days.

CorvoSol

Question for animeGAF:

Full Metal Panic. Though technically until after The Second Raid there are two casts: Sousuke's and Chidori's with some overlap. After The Second Raid, when the plot kicks in, there is only one cast.

Runners up would be Eureka Seven, G Gundam, ZZ Gundam and Slayers.

Star Build Strike needs to have a Burning Hand modification done to it.

Jacknicholsonyes.gif

Question for animeGAF:

Well besides the anime of Forever, Gintama, I would say SKET Dance as well.

Mature

Question for animeGAF:

At the risk of being predictable... I'd go with Detective Conan.
(This graphic is outdated too...)
There's so many interesting characters with their own motivations, backstories and quirks that seeing any single person makes me excited that they're there. Not sure if this fits the bill of your question since they all certainly don't appear in every episode, but even the immediate recurring cast is great.

Kansoku

Question for animeGAF:

Monogatari has the best cast IMO (Kaiki, Shinobu <3, Hanekawa <3, Senjou <3, Hachikuji <3), but I don't know if they should be considered main cast or not.
Same with Durarara! or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei gigantic cast.

So I don't know. If they don't count, Katanagatari is it then.

Branduil

Well, in the original series, when they got there they found that he was in fact still alive, and he opted to stay behind to make more space babies with the queen, so I think this is an improvement, as tidy as it is. Lol. I liked the bittersweet tone of how they got to reunite with Mamoru in spirit, but he still perished because of the war.

Oh LOL if they had done that in the remake.
"Sorry about making you cry little brother, Niimi. Yeah I've just been kicking it back here on paradise island while impregnating this alien princess, it's pretty sweet."

cnet128

Banned
Question for animeGAF:

Sket Dance has a great cast of secondary characters.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 10

Oh, hey, my wish was granted! It really is Milky Rose time!

She's...a pretty classy fighter, huh. Showing the Cures how it's done.

That smile when she was holding the other mascots, though. Dead identity giveaway.

Theonik

Fair point, but a lot of people could stand to ease up on keeping up with the Joneses when it comes to watching current anime.
Another point is about pacing btw. An issue with Doremi posts now is that they people who do pick it up will finish it very soon so the posts end up being buried eventually. If we were around the start of sharp you would have weekly impressions with several people being spread out over the times people actually watch them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Question for animeGAF:

Probably the cast of Ranma 1/2.

Branduil

They confirmed that they're doing another theatrical type release sometime this year. It's probably a second season, but it could also be an actual movie. We don't know yet.

Of course that means that most of us won't get to see if until the end of 2015 at the earliest.

fertygo

Oh LOL if they had done that in the remake.
"Sorry about making you cry little brother, Niimi. Yeah I've just been kicking it back here on paradise island while impregnating this alien princess, it's pretty sweet."

IIRC Niimi, the doctor assistant, and Yamamoto is all 2199 original character.

Hunter x Hunter - 112

Going back from work , wtaching HXH 112 and most of my worries about trivial stuff are gone.
Hunter%20X%20Hunter%20-%20112.jpg

he couldn't help but feel like he had lost all initiative !
WHAT AN EPISODE... the best 10 seconds ever
2 episodes ...and not even 30 secondes have passed story wise...
I'm so happy they choose like the best way to enhance the experience.. narrator work was flawless.

10/10

You guy heard me .. it's 10/10

Theonik

Well that's probably one reason they didn't do that.
As is, Mamoru still NTRs two different people from two different galaxies despite being dead.
Mamoru is just that much of a boss.
His 'death' on the original is such BS too. Makes you feel the idiot deserved to die.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 20

And there we go!
Here we have trolling at its deadliest... or IS IT!?

Looks like next episode is probably the real end of this arc.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kill la Kill 06

Can't believe she won with the oldest trick in the book. Of course that win turned into the usual
her getting her ass completely whooped
, KLK is totally a
ryona
in anime form.

Disappointing for an episode involving one of the
4 devas
. I expected more buildup with some better backstory and better action then what this episode provided. Probably the worst episode I've watched so far.

Kill la Kill 07

... and it was followed up with an awesome episode. MAKO DA GAWD.

KLK is a better comedy than Space Dandy. First half of the episode had me laughing hard at the ridiculousness of it all and then it suddenly turns pretty dark. Like a wise man once said
Moe Money, Moe Problems
. There really are were a ton of weak clubs at the school, which begs the question as to why Ryuuko hasn't been farming these bums for more power in the first place.

Ending to the episode was great, Mako fighting the power was the best. Such a badass.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God damn it.
Did you miss it too?!

True. I recognised that even then. Doesn't mean I found it entertaining :)
The fact that it's not entertaining means it is art!
lol

I was told they were the same thing.
#TeamSubstance
I'll say it again, Substylestance.

Question for animeGAF:

Gintama would have to be my default answer if only because it's the only show with that kind of scope that I have seen unfortunately.

On a smaller scale, I want to say Aria, of course. lol

Branduil

Yamato 2199 - 23
Full spoilers needed because WTF
I don't even know where to start , first the emperor ... i just don't understand... in his quests , he totally lost his way in the most basic way possible. I can understand his goal of unification , but i sure don't understand how sacrifying his own people would lead them the right way . you're on the throne for 103 years for god sake ! i'd expect that from some rookie , some newbie , not from somone experimented

Bodyguard lie was to be expected after mori saved him and he was like smelling his hand .. it was nice , a nice sacrifice

Mori thinking was pretty good , i guess you don't have much options when you're in this situation ..Screw the damnsel in distress. Viva women who act.

The witch girl ..Well too bad for her , she lost her sister , she lost her saviour , heck her savior just left her to die...Again i don't understand this move.
Desler had no serious opposition at this point, your trusted follower is there and you leave her to die ? for what ?heck , all the general left were extra loyal at this point. I DONT UNDERSTAND.

This show is awesome.. but seriously i don't get it .

Desler isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 21

And that's the end of that. Pretty good idea to set my pace for 10 episodes a day to plow through the Hunter exam arc.

Guess next up is "Rescue Killua" because you know, a shonen needs a rescue arc right?

Things will only get more gruesome from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom