• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it in 2ch
監督:武本康弘
シリーズ構成:米澤穂信
プロデューサー:伊藤敦
実写ドラマ版とのコラボもあり

Seems will be direct by Yasuhiro Takemoto,written/screenplay by Honobu Yonezawa

Holy cow, the author of Hyouka is writing this! (assuming this is correct)

Branduil

Saw it in 2ch
実写ドラマ版とのコラボもあり

Huh, what? So a reverse of Hyouka?

They should tell Yonezawa to work on more Hyouka instead.

Jarmel

Banned
Saw it in 2ch
実写ドラマ版とのコラボもあり

lolololololol

The tears would be amazing if it was true. Holy shit.

Too bad it's not.

Shergal

So when I saw the artwork of Wizard Barristers, it instantly screamed Kite and Mezzo. I went to look it up just to see how much gore I'd have to expose myself to and discovered that the same guy, "Umetsu Yasuomi", also did the character design for Galilei Donna. What an amazing departure of style but at the same time, the violence in the hospital scene makes more sense now.

Umetsu didn't do character design for Donna. That one was Shingo Adachi (the SAO anime guy!)

zeroshiki

If I remember well (and I'm pretty sure I do), they initially intended for it to be part of the new TV series, as a 7 episode arc. And while they didn't say anything about that, I'm thinking the decision to turn it into a movie instead is the reason we got 7 extra servings of Endless Eight.

They made a ton of money off that movie so it was probably worth pissing of the hardcore crowd. The franchise is all but dead anyways.

Hunter X Hunter - 112

You know, I bet Netero is somewhat disappointed that he has to fight something that can actually love a human as opposed to the demon that he thought he was going to fight minutes ago. I know I'd feel bad if I was prepared to absolutely brutally obliterate what's supposed to be a demonic evil monster only to walk in it's cave, to find said monster caring for its kin like a loving father.

Now he's probably thinking: "Aw dammit, victory ain't gonna be so sweet now."

Well I'm certainly not disappointed. Seeing as I caught up with the manga, I'm hyped as hell for seeing what's to come in animated form in this show.

Branduil

They made a ton of money off that movie so it was probably worth pissing of the hardcore crowd. The franchise is all but dead anyways.

I wonder what it feels like to write a super-popular franchise and then be like "meh.... I don't really want to finish this."

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Umetsu didn't do character design for Donna. That one was Shingo Adachi (the SAO anime guy!)

Oh crap... thanks for catching that, I miss-read. He was credited with original work... still his hands are visible... man loves his violence.

zeroshiki

Saw it in 2ch
実写ドラマ版とのコラボもあり

That can't possibly be true. It says it has a live action dorama tieup as well.

Dresden

People who want more Hyouka.

But most are resigned to the fact that

a. there's not enough material

b. it's difficult to produce anything of such caliber again

c. the studio doesn't seem too inclined to undertake such a venture

d. kaho >>> misaki

The awful LN designs threw me off, but whoever ends up handling it for the animation will likely change them for the better. Otherwise, Takemoto, Gatoh, blah blah blah, I can deal. Better than more Free or Chuu2.

Besides, the tears from FMP fans drowns out anything else.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 15

This Mother's Day episode was much easier to swallow in comparison to older episodes detailing this event, but it certainly is very interesting nonetheless.

dA8Z1Rl.jpg

This image isn't even relevant to the events of this episode, but it still poses a very interesting question. I know there were episodes where the dad got focus, but Father's Day? Different story. Think it also applies for Precure as well, I don't really recall many father's day episodes, if at all.

That being said, Hazuki actually grows a pair
Despite being Baaya to do some of her heart yelling
and it was like FUCK YEAH! FUCK YOUR MOTHER! Hazuki, Onpu, and Aiko (to a lesser extent) had the floor here. Doremi's mother had a place for this episode
mainly running away from home so lets stay at her place
. Momoko... why exactly was she there?

There's also some insight on why Onpu became a child idol, as well as her goal, and well...

Hoooooooooly shit! Nevermind the "Hey, I'm a big fan of yours!" And then followed up with that! What the fuuuuuck! I had to double take when I saw that.

Togashi actually started censoring HxH himself in the later portions of the manga since showing overt gore was riskier in modern Jump. As far as current stuff goes, it's most definitely the darkest WSJ series.

So yeah, totally not happy go lucky. It only gets bleaker and more depressing as it goes.

I gotta be honest, while the show definetly has it's depressing moments, it didn't have as much as I thought it would have originally.

The
Chimera Ant
arc is where the depressing moments in this show start to pick up a bit. Everything else before that was just, dark. Not dark as in, the DESPAIR kind of dark. Moreso the kind of tense, exciting kind of dark, that makes you more excited than scared to find out what happens next.

That's what makes this show great. While it certainly can do happiness, it can do dark just as well, creating a good balance that makes it unpredictable and fun.

Jarmel

Banned
But most are resigned to the fact that

a. there's not enough material

b. it's difficult to produce anything of such caliber again

c. the studio doesn't seem too inclined to undertake such a venture

d. kaho >>> misaki

The awful LN designs threw me off, but whoever ends up handling it for the animation will likely change them for the better. Otherwise, Takemoto, Gatoh, blah blah blah, I can deal. Better than more Free or Chuu2.

Besides, the tears from FMP fans drowns out anything else.

Well that doesn't preclude the possibility of Yonezawa actually doing the scripts himself for a 2nd season, which before this announcement (if true which I doubt), wasn't a real possibility.

Shergal

Is this legit? Apparently this is from the afterword of the first volume of the Gatoh LN:

>This is something that happened 5 years ago:
>Normally I have no interest in Amusement Parks. But once I went with other people to a famous mainstream Amusement park (probably Disney.).
>I I saw some kids playing with a theme-park Mascot, and suddenly thought "Wouldn't it be interesting, if that Donald Duck employee actually HATE kids?"
>Like, what if he doesn't like children, but still force a smile in order to get his paycheck. And then after work he goes to the local pub and complain to fellow co-workers?
>When I thought about it, I start to feel empathetic towards these mascots. And that when I see them on TV commercials, I would think about “wow, these guys must have a tough life”.
>As a macho kind of guy with unusual tastes, the mainstream themeparks are just boring to me. So that’s why I would end up with dark thoughts about the place. It’s like in class, but suddenly fantasising about “Suddenly Terrorists appeared and took over the school!”, and such thoughts to avoid reality.
>But it is these kinds of reality-avoidance that gets me interesting ideas sometimes.
>From that time onwards the “Mascot that hate kids” just wouldn’t leave my mind. Paradoxically, that kind of character had NOT actually appeared in this book. Regardless that was why the idea of a “bad theme park” came about all those years ago.
>Being an author for 18 years now, I am no stranger to struggles and pain while attempting to make a living trying to entertain people. But there had been happy memories too. I understand both the feeling of those, whose works failed to reach sales targets, and the hardships endured by others whose works became blockbuster hits. One could probably say this is the same with any industry. Those Mascots who force a smile and play with the kids every day, would have their own tears and joyful moments...
>And this is the central theme of the novel.

>I I saw some kids playing with a theme-park Mascot, and suddenly thought "Wouldn't it be interesting, if that Donald Duck employee actually HATE kids?"
Lol Gatoh

Probably about the same as Miura.

It doesn't make a lick of sense on multiple levels unless Gatoh is helping Yonezawa out with the scripts.
Actually i think it's hard to believe too

I guess i have to buy that mag to confirm that,if no one take a picture to prove that(staff) in short time

CorvoSol

THE GOLDEN LAWS

As Previously, Within are my thoughts during the course of the film, so you may read, laugh, or avoid them at your pleasure.

This movie was dumb. Seriously dumb. As someone who considers himself extremely hesitant to mock the religious beliefs of others, this was a dumb, dumb movie.

And you know what? It wasn't because it hilariously glossed over Jesus, made all kinds of Shin Mazinger Z claims about pre-Greek history, or because it had a guy basically flirting with his descendant for two hours. All of that was appalling, yes, let there be no mistake, but that wasn't really what makes The Golden Laws the worst Happy Science film I've seen.

The Laws of Eternity was boring, and the Rebirth of Buddha was a significant improvement over it. Unfortunately, it seems that what they took away from the focus groups there was "Less blah blah blah more alien invasions" meant "More blah blah blah but this time with TIME TRAVEL!"

Let's break it down, shall we?

There is no plot to this film. Not really. Satoru and his not-girlfriend-really-granddaughter hop in her hijacked time machine, accidentally cause HALF OF HISTORY, all the while avoiding all manner of historical things (no seriously did the Sphinx even exist in the days of Moses? That is some Aladdin level of nonsense.) but once the "plot" gets underway it's just . . . "Hey let's go to 21st Century Japan!" LOL NO HERE IS ANOTHER HISTORICAL MOMENT INSTEAD. And that's it. For 2 hours. That's it. Which leads us into the next complaint I have to make.

You can only have so many spiritually moving moments accompanied by majestic orchestral pieces in a movie before eventually they stop having effect. Watch a movie about the miracles of Jesus. You'll notice they give you some breathing room. They give you scenes of Christ teaching. It's not just miracle miracle miracle miracle. Significant amounts of time are spent building you up for the Crucifixion so you know it is a big deal and not just another in a long, long line of miracles.

I mean seriously, 2000ish years ago the guys writing the Gospels knew to fucking build you to that moment. That isn't the case in this movie. I was constantly bombarded with amazing miraculous moments and stirring speeches about the sugar-coated, non-denominational love of God. "See God part the Red Sea for Moses! See Buddha calm a rampaging Elephant without blinking! See Hermes beat the first level of God of War! See Hermes beat the last level of God of War 3! See God in the stream of time. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY." And that goddamn moving music blaring nonstop gets old after awhile. It's enough to make even the deepest of believers question why the all loving God won't shut the eternal cacophony of horrible, washed up English voice actors and most-generic moving spiritual music the Hell up.

There is no development to the cast this time around. I mean do we really expect two teenagers who are on a joyride to have much development? I suppose not, but some would be nice. The closest we get to it is that moron girl learns the definition of "awesome" (opening up a proverbial Pandora's Box of questions about how language works when she needs to use a translator to translate modern Japanese but not to speak to a kid from 500 years in her past, and how his notepad, in spite of being 500 years older than her time machine, is fully interfaceable with it.) And also that Ash Ketchum decides he wants to be a religious leader . . . which is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty obvious he wants to do anyway. I guess he overcomes his doubts, but they're never, ever elucidated, ever.

The nearest things we get to references to older works in this movie are the endless talk of King Hermes who was the physical incarnation of God (begging no end of questions as to what was meant by "Queen Aphrodite is a Goddess" and furthermore of all the Gods, why did they choose to further deify HERMES?" And is he with Aphrodite because of Cupid? What's the deal there? Cuz normally Haephestus does not take kindly to dudes sleeping with his amorous wife.

Anyway, what else was their to cover? The CGI sucked, the characters continued to have the same ghastly pallor to their skin they've had since the first movie, there were racist caricatures and Jesus gets gipped so massively I really don't know why they bothered to include him. I mean how do you do the Crucifixion and Resurrection in like, less than 10 minutes? What, did you have somewhere to be?

The most laughable part though was that if I take this movie literally (which I have NO idea if I am meant to) it means that roughly 1/3 of all spiritual phenomona throughout human history can be attributed to two teenagers on a joyride in a stolen time machine.

That is some really, really out there doctrine.

wonzo

Banned
The heart scene in HxH 2011 would've been the perfect point for the much needed tonal shift if it didn't look like it was in a doggie bag.

Jarmel

Banned

I guess i have to buy that mag to confirm that,if no one take a picture to prove that(staff) in short time

The only reason I could see something like that happening is if Gatoh is grooming Yonezawa for more productions. There was nothing in Hyouka that would suggest that Yonezawa would be a good fit for slaptstick comedy stuff, not to mention that Yonezawa hasn't done scripts for an anime production as far as I can see, and we know that Gatoh is perfectly capable and willing to do the scripts for his own TV shows.

Jarmel

Banned
Is this legit? Apparently this is from the afterword of the first volume of the Gatoh LN:

Lol Gatoh

If this involves kid abuse then I'm in. Honestly I think it depends on the tone they go for with this. It's not going to be super serious but if they do have a somewhat angry tone, then it could be a lot of fun.

But didn't he already use the theme park mascot idea in FMP?

Not to any serious extent.

First, it's really nice to see that AnimeGAF is finally acknowledging Hunter x Hunter.

Second,

Pani Poni Dash - 1

I'm not feeling this right now. I know the series isn't perfect by any metric, but I'm absolutely certain I'd like this a lot more if I weren't feeling like shit at the moment.

I'm gonna give it another episode and then see if it clicks then. If it doesn't, I'll wait until I'm in a better mood to watch it.

Gazoinks

I should be done with Jojo: Phantom Blood within a week or so. I'll post impressions on it then. I can't wait to start Battle Tendency.

Here I uguuu~! *splat*

Battle Tendency is so, so much better in every way.

EDIT: Will From the New World 20 match up to 19? Probably not, but it's time to find out!

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 9

There was...a lot to this episode, and I might end up missing some things or whatevs, but here goes.

The Author here was...an interesting fellow. I feel like I should have seen the reveal about the "book about everything" coming (I didn't). That, along with burning down the book collection in the castle, tie into his message that people need to write their own stories and create their "reality". The book about everything is empty because the person who writes in their knowledge and their stories will thus create what is, to them, the book about everything. He claimed to Kino that becoming an author was how one broke out of the meaninglessness of their lives and the suffering that comes with being a main character in a story that won't let them be one. And that's why he made that book; because by creating your own idea of reality, you can become the main character in your story, not "the" story.

The most interesting scene to me was when Kino was talking to the head lady of the book sorting and shit. Her claim as to the secondary reason they have their policy seemed to be a dig at the people, a lot of whom seem to be on NeoGAF, just drone on and on about how what they're reading sucks and how everything is wrong with it. But then she claimed that reading a book was a personal matter that should be kept in the heart. But her department specializes in keeping these books away from people outside the castle. Kino said that everything available for public exchange at the library were sterile, not able to make any connection with the reader. If this woman loves reading and connecting with her books so much, why does she consider them harmful and work to keep them away from people?

Episode also seemed to have a few other digs there, with "Critics are never wrong!", and "Yeah, but (people who pine for a character in a book) are crazy people".

Contrast between the newly arriving critics and the experienced critics seemed interesting to me. Coming in you have a group of readers who've been reading and spreading "harmful" books against the law. The people who've been there the longest were just a group of cynical, self-important people who, as mentioned before, were droning on and on about how everything they were reading sucked. Is the implication there that people who do nothing but consume and consume the worlds created by others just end up becoming numb to these books as they start to scrutinize and scrutinize them?

Keeping all this in mind, it would seem like the episode was just a criticism of those type of people, those who read and read and read to the point of becoming obsessed with them, and then becoming cynical and jaded about them. But I'm not sure it is, because 1. Does the fact that there are people like this mean that all people should be prevented from exposing themselves to these "harmful" things? and 2. If this is the path of the person who only consumes, why is writing books banned? Why is producing these works straight outlawed? I guess it's because often society tries to counter these types of people not by dealing with them but the works they consume, trying to censor things, or blame them when problems arise in the real world.

And in between these two extremes is the man Kino met outside the country in the beginning of the episode. The man who seemed tired of absorbing himself in the worlds created by others and decided he was going to go create one of his own, so that other people could absorb themselves in his. And the critics will cynically trash it to no end, and it will be deemed harmful and banned from the public library. A vicious cycle, but at least one man seemed to escape from it.

Shergal

Battle Tendency is so, so much better in every way.

EDIT: Will From the New World 20 match up to 19? Probably not, but it's time to find out!

Personally the show goes into a slump after 19, recovering only by the finale. But many people liked the whole thing so your mileage may vary.

zeroshiki

More than Yonezawa defying logic and writing the script, the live action drama kills it for me. That's super unlikely to happen especially with the plot.

Tonari no Seki-kun OAD

6PKYJ2Pl.jpg

Ten minute segments of Seki-kun works just as well as the 5 minute format. I guess they are just too worried of using up all the existing material.

Dresden

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-01-14/top-five-light-novels-ranked-by-title-length

Light novels have been ranked by plenty of criteria—the popularity of their anime adaptations, their sales figures—but Japanese media website DDNavi has recently updated their ranking for the top five... by title character count.

1. 男子高校生で売れっ子ライトノベル作家をしているけれど、年下のクラスメイトで声優の女の子に首を絞められている。 (1) ―Time to Play―

Coming in at 54 characters is the latest from Kino's Journey author Keiichi Sigsawa, the title of which roughly translates to, I'm a successful light novel author at a boy's high school, but I'm being strangled by a female classmate who's a voice actress and is younger than me (1) - Time to Play - The title is being published by ASCII Media Works' Dengeki Bunko, which is incidentally the same imprint that handles the works of the fictional protagonist mentioned in the title.

Fun fact, the eighth volume of Kino's Journey was the 1,000th novel published by Dengeki Bunko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom