• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter 20

Seriously this show doesn't need romance. I've said it once and I'll say it again, the immense bromance between Gon and Killua is off the charts. I'm sure an introduction of a female love interest at this point would crash the anime industry and yaoi lovers would kill themselves by the masses.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And the winner for Worst CG of Winter 2014 goes to...

Z/X IGNITION

zxughh-1o9fqr.gif

Hunter x Hunter 20

Seriously this show doesn't need romance. I've said it once and I'll say it again, the immense bromance between Gon and Killua is off the charts. I'm sure an introduction of a female love interest at this point would crash the anime industry and yaoi lovers would kill themselves by the masses.

They would've done it years ago then.

I gotta be honest, while the show definetly has it's depressing moments, it didn't have as much as I thought it would have originally.

The
Chimera Ant
arc is where the depressing moments in this show start to pick up a bit. Everything else before that was just, dark. Not dark as in, the DESPAIR kind of dark. Moreso the kind of tense, exciting kind of dark, that makes you more excited than scared to find out what happens next.

That's what makes this show great. While it certainly can do happiness, it can do dark just as well, creating a good balance that makes it unpredictable and fun.

I find it depressing because Togashi keeps killing characters I like!

Branduil

Girls und Panzer 2

iYJSwpTKEK0gN.jpg
iS3y8QLVC89vu.jpg

The CGI got even worse in this episode!

Do they ever explain the massive ship? LOL.

This show is pretty well-directed. None of the scenes drag on and they do a good job of establishing the large cast of characters.

It's funny how the cars and plane in this are traditionally animated.

Anime-GAF, once you guys get past the joke answers you are pretty great for recommendations. You recommended Tsuritama, and I said no way, I can not get into an anime about fishing.

Then I did. And it was great.

Then I watched Tatami Galaxy and loved it, another recommendation. But that's not really what I'm here to talk about.

I think the first time I asked for recommendations a lot of you said Joshiraku, and Ive been pretty damn hesitant about watching it, up until now. On its surface, it just seemed like another show built on cute girls doing cute things, a genre which I'm fine with but not crazy about.

After watching the first episode and being humiliated (I say humiliated but I was pretty much beaming from how great it was) by its lampshading of my expectations, I let myself fall in love with the show.

In terms of shows, the closest analogy I can come to is if you took Community's meta humor and its character interactions when centered around the study room table, you'd basically have Joshiraku, but Joshiraku's so much funnier.

But I've finished it, its gone, and the one thing its left with me is the feeling that I have not watched nearly enough genuinely funny anime. So I've started Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which is great, but I was wondering if you guys could recommend more to me, so I have something to watch after that?

Mature

Anime-GAF, once you guys get past the joke answers you are pretty great for recommendations. You recommended Tsuritama, and I said no way, I can not get into an anime about fishing.

Then I did. And it was great.

Then I watched Tatami Galaxy and loved it, another recommendation. But that's not really what I'm here to talk about.

I think the first time I asked for recommendations a lot of you said Joshiraku, and Ive been pretty damn hesitant about watching it, up until now. On its surface, it just seemed like another show built on cute girls doing cute things, a genre which I'm fine with but not crazy about.

After watching the first episode and being humiliated (I say humiliated but I was pretty much beaming from how great it was) by its lampshading of my expectations, I let myself fall in love with the show.

In terms of shows, the closest analogy I can come to is if you took Community's meta humor and its character interactions when centered around the study room table, you'd basically have Joshiraku, but Joshiraku's so much funnier.

But I've finished it, its gone, and the one thing its left with me is the feeling that I have not watched nearly enough genuinely funny anime. So I've started Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, which is great, but I was wondering if you guys could recommend more to me, so I have something to watch after that?
And Yet the Town Moves.

Edit: Damnit Branduil

wonzo

Banned
Gintama
Detroit Metal City
Cromartie High School
Azumanga Daioh
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Garzey's Wing Dub

Gintama is the best anime comedy, so you should watch that.

Gazoinks

Well it's kind of redundant at this point, but watch And Yet The Town Moves (aka Soredemo)!.

mmm that ED. So good.

Yeah that too. I'm not up to the part where it apparently really hits its stride, but its already good from what I've watched. And loooooong.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gintama
Detroit Metal City
Cromartie High School
Azumanga Daioh
Garzey's Wing Dub

Add Excel Saga & Love Lab and this is basically the definitive list of Actually Funny Comedy Anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama
Detroit Metal City
Cromartie High School
Azumanga Daioh
Garzey's Wing Dub
Nichijou where?
:p

I hope my heart will be ready.
Fuck yes this sounds like my kinda show
I just want a good yuri anime. :(

Then just make yourself wait a week before watching each episode. That's what I sometimes do.
It's not really the same, because it's all available to watch right there...

Genuinely funny anime? All right here it goes

Gintama- by far one of the funniest. It's a bit overwhelming because it has 200+ episodes and it's a slow start but it will not disappoint you.

Nichijou- This one is more random skits centered around a group of high school girls, but its animation is fantastic and the humor is damn good too. Though some of the skits involve moe-like humor, so if you can't handle that don't do it. One of the funniest I've seen as well.

Detroit Metal City- short episodes but HILARIOUS. ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

And Yet the Town Moves- same studio as Zetsubou Sensei. Pretty damn good.

Daily Life of High School Boys- Similar to Nichijou, only it centers around high school boys so it might be more up your alley if you don't like moe. Again one of the funnier shows I've seen.

Cromartie High- short episodes. Dealing with a high school full of thugs. It's also full of laughs. Oldie but goodie.

Seitokai Yakuindomo- Perverted/sexual humor without ANY of the ecchi. It seems impossible but I genuinely don't recall any perverted stuff outside of what they were saying. Highly recommended as well.

Baka Test- This one is also damn funny but you must enjoy slice of life high school comedies.

School Rumble- an oldie compared to the rest but still holds up today.

You're already watching Zetsubou Sensei and that's another one of my recommendations. There are plenty of other high school comedies that are worth watching if you watch some of the ones I've listed and want more. There are also other comedies I can't think of right now, but the ones I've listed are probably among my favorite comedies in anime. Period.

Crocodile

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 17

oPzjPr8.jpg

Water blocks neutrons? Is that even real science? Can someone with a strong background in physics verify that?

And Yet the Town Moves.

Edit: Damnit Branduil

Gintama
Detroit Metal City
Cromartie High School
Azumanga Daioh
Garzey's Wing Dub

Well, there's an obvious winner in all of this. Can any one of you tell me why it's so great?

I am all about that Gintama life. I think I mentioned wanting something vaguely like it in terms of meta humor and people said Joshiraku.

Add Excel Saga & Love Lab and this is basically the definitive list of Actually Funny Comedy Anime.

I don't know, I'd definitely put the second half of Code Geass on that list as well.
I'm still convinced that it's just a brilliantly executed comedy

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 17

oPzjPr8.jpg

Water blocks neutrons? Is that even real science? Can someone with a strong background in physics verify that?
I don't remember the episode at all, but I know that (is this a spoiler?)
a gimmick used in scifi is water shielding to block radiation.

I'm actually curious as well why And Yet the Town Moves is as loved here as it is. I mean it's good, but I see it as the go to comedy for plenty of people here. And while I found it funny I didn't find it as hilarious as some of the other shows listed. Humor is subjective and all but the consistent recommendation makes it seem like I'm missing something from the consensus among people here.

Mature

Well, there's an obvious winner in all of this. Can any one of you tell me why it's so great?
Hard to say why or how something is funny, but in general it's a great adaptation of a great manga.

Let's face it, no one but me is ever going to watch it because of the time investment and super oppressive early material.
It's on my short list of things to watch after I've wrapped up Yamato.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Z/X Ignition 1

Strong drugs.

UoS2bhnl.jpg

Really, really strong drugs.

WxwxnP9l.jpg

Couldn't understand a single fukken thing because they drop you into the middle of some kind of factional war between LN cutout characters who fight each other using Yu-Gi-Oh! monster rejects (there is a loli riding a mecha tyrannosaurus) and there are lots of names to memorize and the military is involved somehow and I just don't know. It's full of snappy lines like "you're nineteen and your chest is still that flat?" and there's a character with mechanical cat ears. Hackanashi Yasuharu regurgitated one of his Precure scores once again and still hasn't been sued by Toei.

This is also how you know that it's directed by Yami's director:

zxshaky-1ohsel.gif

I really really just don't know.

zeroshiki

Grave of the Fireflies

If you'd like to feel good about what you have in life, this is a good wake-up call. Fantastic film, but not for the weak of heart.

I actually felt that Grave fills you with a sense of despair while watching it. Its a great movie but not something I'd like to watch again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess speaking of comedy anime, is Polar Bear Cafe a comedy? I thought about that as a suggestion, but I guess it's not "funny" in the traditional sense.

Genuinely funny anime? All right here it goes

Gintama- by far one of the funniest. It's a bit overwhelming because it has 200+ episodes and it's a slow start but it will not disappoint you.

Nichijou- This one is more random skits centered around a group of high school girls, but its animation is fantastic and the humor is damn good too. Though some of the skits involve moe-like humor, so if you can't handle that don't do it. One of the funniest I've seen as well.

Detroit Metal City- short episodes but HILARIOUS. ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.

And Yet the Town Moves- same studio as Zetsubou Sensei. Pretty damn good.

Daily Life of High School Boys- Similar to Nichijou, only it centers around high school boys so it might be more up your alley if you don't like moe. Again one of the funnier shows I've seen.

Cromartie High- short episodes. Dealing with a high school full of thugs. It's also full of laughs. Oldie but goodie.

Seitokai Yakuindomo- Perverted/sexual humor without ANY of the ecchi. It seems impossible but I genuinely don't recall any perverted stuff outside of what they were saying. Highly recommended as well.

Baka Test- This one is also damn funny but you must enjoy slice of life high school comedies.

School Rumble- an oldie compared to the rest but still holds up today.

You're already watching Zetsubou Sensei and that's another one of my recommendations. There are plenty of other high school comedies that are worth watching if you watch some of the ones I've listed and want more. There are also other comedies I can't think of right now, but the ones I've listed are probably among my favorite comedies in anime. Period.

Maybe I was unclear in my post, but I really don't have a problem with moe. I have watched a lot of trash anime and moe stuff is really not something I'd include in those numbers. I just meant that part of my hesitance to watch Joshiraku was that I just didn't expect a show with such moe trappings to have the exact kind of humor I love, namely absurd, self aware, and with plenty of callbacks to both pop culture, and itself.

Which is a bit presumptuous on my part. I far too often judge a book by its cover.

Gazoinks

I'm actually curious as well why And Yet the Town Moves is as loved here as it is. I mean it's good, but I see it as the go to comedy for plenty of people here. And while I found it funny I didn't find it as hilarious as some of the other shows listed. Humor is subjective and all but the consistent recommendation makes it seem like I'm missing something from the consensus among people here.

It's a charming slice of life comedy with a fun cast, a variety of situations, a great ending, and awesome OP and ED. Seems like a pretty solid recommendation. :p

I need to watch the rest of Zetsubou-sensei. I only finished the first season.

I guess speaking of comedy anime, is Polar Bear Cafe a comedy? I thought about that as a suggestion, but I guess it's not "funny" in the traditional sense.

Sort of. I mean, it has funny bits but I wouldn't really go in expecting a comedy. It's more an amusing, relaxing SOL.

zeroshiki

Nichibros is genuinely funny unlike Nichijou. Nichijou relied way too much on visual gags and the KyoAni animation to carry it. Nichibros is all about the writing and characterization.

Mature

I actually felt that Grave fills you with a sense of despair while watching it. Its a great movie but not something I'd like to watch again.
I hear you. I think my first thought when the credits came up was "Well, that was a real fucking pick-me-up."

It's brutal in a way few things are.

Branduil

It relies on a lot of character-based humor, rather than just references or LOUD NOISES=HUMOR. Every episode does something new, so it never gets too stale, and there's a surprising amount of pathos mixed in that enhances the affectionate comedy.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 24

Sinister ass people. Silva with dem intentions. Did I mention the fat kid that took the exam was also here because brotherly relationships, living out his S fantasies as long as he pleases.

Gazoinks

AnimeGAF loves their meido.

Sanjou, sanjou!

From the New World 21

And thus the grand plan is revealed.
FIRST JAPAN AND THEN THE WOOOOORLD. Not but seriously Yakomaru is a jerk and I've been saying this since he first betrayed them 14 years ago.

I liked also that this episode took a step back from focusing on the destruction itself, and focused more on Saki's reaction to it. Was sad.

I really don't know how this is going to conclude. Probably not happily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom