• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Nichibros is genuinely funny unlike Nichijou. Nichijou relied way too much on visual gags and the KyoAni animation to carry it. Nichibros is all about the writing and characterization.

I'm glad Ultimadrago isn't here to see this heresy. ;_;

1hBhQU5.gif
To be fair , leorio will have his shining moment later in a very very late arc.
And the winner for Worst CG of Winter 2014 goes to...

Z/X IGNITION

zxughh-1o9fqr.gif
yep this is slightly worse than tokyo ravens.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 18

7APG

The Dresler assasination plot thread seemed like a waste of everyone's goddamn time though :/

Norio wakamoto was there so i can't dislike this part.

saki side A 3-11

I don't get this show at all. It really is just a grab bag of ideas and what not that feels like stuff the author just jotted down randomly that somehow got its own manga and anime. The main characters don't feel like main characters, or really much characters at all, and about halfway apparently he stopped caring about them and the show pretty much makes toki the protag?

also stop sucking Kuro.

And stop flashbacking every 5 min would do wonders for the pacing!

saki side A 3-11

I don't get this show at all. It really is just a grab bag of ideas and what not that feels like stuff the author just jotted down randomly that somehow got its own manga and anime. The main characters don't feel like main characters, or really much characters at all, and about halfway apparently he stopped caring about them and the show pretty much makes toki the protag?

also stop sucking Kuro.

And stop flashbacking every 5 min would do wonders for the pacing!

Side A is a mess of half-baked ideas and awful pacing, and yes, the Achiga characters are terrible.

fertygo

Side-A is great yo, and its have benefit the author writing with more experience writing superpower mahjong game on his/her belt.

Stuff like Kuro hogging all the doras and make Teru power work in turnaround way is great touch i Its certainly take a step from many first few match from the mechanic flow.

Nordicus

I know the joke is that she is a 13 year old acting like a 30+ year old has been, but I almost think it would be better if she really was 30+yo still desperately trying to come off as a 13 year old.
Whoa whoa wait, that wasn't the case in the first place?

Goddamnit >:[

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So Kyoto Animation is animating Rollercoaster Tycoon the anime?

GiImeLR.gif

I suppose if I was bothered you could label the rollercoaster rails Haruhi S3 or FMPFumoffu S3 with the carriage being labelled Chuunibyou S2. Like a terrible political cartoon.

Aizo

Banned
MangaGAF knows Kurita's real form, but I think AnimeGAF needs to know, too.
This picture was stiched together from pictures of his body parts found throughout the internet.

This probably explains why Kurita doesn't watch anime... somehow.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Episode 9: A Clockwork Prisoner

This episode done it for me. not that I wasn't enjoying the previous episodes, but they weren't grabbing me as much as I was led to believe the show would, but that all changed with this one.
The sudden beginning and end of Alter and Analyzers friendship was great and worked really well with the #9 story being told throughout the episode
I am 100% in and raring to finish this series.

My only dislike so far is the soundtrack, I really don't like it and it feels out of place at times.

CorvoSol

Say what you like about him, but at least he's not this guy.

651336-cod4.jpg

Kyubey deceives girls to make his contracts. Lelouch mind-rapes people to do his bidding. Hell, I bet Lelouch could mind-rape Satan if he wanted to. So who's worse in that regard?

Eh, still Satan. I mean, Lelouch
mindrapes his sister into slaughtering people she was trying to help, sure
but the people he Geasses will at least be able to defend themselves saying "I was under Geass". Satan's worse cuz he convinces you to willingly do things.

Ambitious

I'm almost done with watching all the Miyazaki movies. Yesterday I watched Tales from Earthsea (I know it's not from Hayao). There's this one scene with Sparrowhawk and Arren at the campfire when Arren suddenly senses something and turns around, frightened. Just a second before this moment, the empty battery notification of my laptop popped up in the top right corner of the screen, so it appeared as if Arren was scared by it; he looked right in its direction.
Having been really tired, I thought this was kinda funny.

Anyway, I was a bit disappointed by the movie, and I think I've read in another thread before that it's generally regarded as not that good anyway.

Now the only remaining movies are The Castle of Cagliostro, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away and The Wind Rises.

Theonik

Yeah, the shows soundtrack is fucking amazing. First time I've heard complaints about it.
I couldn't even link some of the later tracks to avoid spoiling things for him.
I'll admit however than leaving it mostly untouched from its 70s counterpart may have been a hit or miss decision.

cajunator

Banned

I loved Lucky channel though. Best part of Lucky Star. Like a psycho cute version of the series withing Cowboy Bebop without the whole bounty thing.

This picture was stiched together from pictures of his body parts found throughout the internet.

Well this thread just got a bit odd.

Reknoc

the basketball should be a volleyball

Nafe

Anyways, my birthday is on the 15th next week...

Happy Birthday Azula.

Girls und Panzer 2

Do they ever explain the massive ship? LOL.

This show is pretty well-directed. None of the scenes drag on and they do a good job of establishing the large cast of characters.

It's funny how the cars and plane in this are traditionally animated.

I still don't know how that tank got way up that cliff,haha. Just some of the silliness of GuP.

The ship thing is briefly commented on in a later episode and then I think it was the third DVD/BD special goes into more detail on it.

Let's face it, no one but me is ever going to watch it because of the time investment and super oppressive early material.

I'd like to take a look at Urusei Yatsura sometime. :)

Girls und Panzer 3
I liked how they just glossed over the chances of death or maiming occurring in the last episode. Not quite sure how the rules work either, the other tanks were all "immobilized" on the first hit but I'm sure the panzer got hit at least once with a direct hit and nothing happened.

If you're not aware there's a couple of episodes referred to as 5.5 and 10.5 and one of them goes into more details about the rules.

It's mentioned there are sensors in the shells and/or tanks as far as immobilization. Other things are mentioned such as even if a tank wasn't actually built during the WW2 time frame but as long as blueprints existed then a school could request permission to use it.

I LOVED Polar Bear Cafe. But I wouldn't suggest it unless he's specifically looking for a very relaxing anime. It has its very funny moments but it mostly relies on the SOL charm. With animals.

Jesus fuck. Survival instincts overpowering eh?

Yeah if you like callbacks to pop culture and such, and have already seen Gintama, then Daily Life of High School Boys (aka Nichibros) is your best bet there. Unless you haven't seen the dubbed version of Crayon Shin Chan, which the humor is specifically tailored for western audiences. Which now reminds me I gotta find that to watch.

First season is fantastic. Second season is WAY too meta and abstract, so if you have to find a stopping point, do it after watching post season 2 stuff.

Nichibros definitely seems like my kind of show. Thanks!

And aww, is the second season of Zetsubou sensei disappointing? I've really been loving this show. Especially the callbacks.
Believe in the me that believes in you being randomly written on a wall was amazing.

And aww, is the second season of Zetsubou sensei disappointing? I've really been loving this show. Especially the callbacks.
Believe in the me that believes in you being randomly written on a wall was amazing.

I personally think the second season and its accompanying OVAs are the height of the series. The real disappointment is the third season. It has some great moments, but it felt really phoned in at that point, and they were working on a lower budget.

I'm not really sure if I'm alone in this opinion. But based on the stuff you said earlier about what you really like in a comedy, I think you'll find it very much up your alley.

yami4ct

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1-13

Holy crap, why didn't I watch this sooner? This is exactly the type of anime I really, really love. It's got a really classic anime Space Opera feel, which is something I really miss from most modern shows. The characters are pretty much all fascinating and I love how unique each crew member feels. The emotional moments also all hit really well.

If I had some criticism so far, it's that it definitely falls into some sci-fi tropes that I don't really enjoy. The main one being the fact that all the aliens just happen to look like humans. That seems like it's going to be explained later, given the show has dropped a couple hints that there's a reason for it, but right now it definitely kind of bugs me. There's also been some moments where characters deliberately do stupid stuff to create drama, but luckily those moments are few and far between. I think the biggest problem with the show is the CG. Most of the time, it works just fine. Sometimes, especially in really large scale major battles, it's just super off putting and distracting. Luckily, the action is choreographed well enough and the situations are inventive enough that the bad CG doesn't really ruin it.

Overall, I absolutely am adoring the show so far. Cannot wait to see where it goes. I love the way they're developing the enemy troops in particular. General Domel is one of my favorite characters they've introduced so far. He adds a really interesting dimension to a group that would just been your basic, super evil, sci-fi empire. I also like the recent twist that
the humans shot first
. It's really doing some brave things that you don't see many modern sci-fi shows attempt, and that's something that really sells the show for me.

Going forward, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with the Iscandarans. Honestly, something doesn't seem right about them. They're mysterious to the point of suspicious and I suspect there's going to be a twist in regards to their origin or motives.

Love Lab 13

Both some tearing up again and comedy.

Overall a good show. They tried to evoke some sad feelings a bit early before I could buy it, but later on it were more effective. Comedy was mostly good. Story was a bit meh.

I'll give it 3.5/5 Huggys:
0SUdMJj.png
0SUdMJj.png
0SUdMJj.png
ZBe7mxb.png
i8he3db.png

Since you've seen Gintama, you get the added bonus of one of the two leads (if you watch you'll know why I say two leads and not three haha) is voiced by the same guy that does Gintoki. And he's hilarious.

As to Zetsubou Sensei, second season is still hilarious just WAY more abstract. While the other seasons follow the standard manga setting, the second season was more of an experimentation by SHAFT (as far as I know) and, while highly regarded, turned off many fans because it seems random and out of focus at bits.

on a different note, I notice 2nibyou is in Crunchyroll. But I won't watch it on the big screen. Any other anime in my Quee I wouldn't mind if the volume escapes the room. But this is a show with too many high pitched voices and silly songs, don't need roomie to hear this and call for an moexorcist.

Gintama - 50

An entire episode on how to save Gintama from bad ratings, this show is too good.

bcYss3h.gif

GINTAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAAAAAAHN
GINTAMAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAN!
GIN GIN! GIN GIN! GINTAMAN!

Tonari No Seki-kun OVA 1

Bahahaha the two leads continue to have some of the most enjoyable scenes ever. On the first half we have the topple the flag game, while on the second we have the kitties. I enjoyed the first more solely on the ending haha. She finally stood up for herself.

Jex

So I just listened to a podcast that pimped a random French cop drama called Spiral or Engrenages and found this article about it and other French shows on Netflix.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/a...ther-french-shows-worth-seeking-out.html?_r=0

Despite what some random writers might say, Engranges isn't really like Law and Order in the slightest and after four seasons it's pretty clearly it's own thing. What a terrible comparison.

Anyway, us Brits are lucky enough to have random European shows air over here with subtitles, which is pretty cool.

2nnibyou 02 Electric Boogaloo

What a boring episode. You know the only use of this episode? To emphasize how the source material is so boring that even when they do something out of the norm and continue the story post-confession, they want to keep the status quo relatively the same. So now basically we have everybody still saying "oh we'll just let her be since she's so fucked in the head who cares if we're only going out by name"

Jesus Japan. Maybe the reason that article about lowered birth rates in Japan started to gain momentum was because the Japanese don't know what to do post-confession.

Say what you want about Golden Time, but at least they can give us a couple struggling. Sure with cheesy melodrama, but together nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom