• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mirai Nikki 1-26 + OVA

That was a pretty fun series. Enjoyed it very much. Yuno was what made the whole series interesting. If not for her character it'd be pretty average, I would think. The main character is pretty unappealing throughout most of it.

A quick question:
When did the Yuno from world 1 kill the Yuno from World 2? It had to have been before she abducted him into the mountains right?

I'm pretty sure Yuno 2 was killed before even episode 1. I think not too long after Yuki and Yuno's first meeting.

Phi Brain (S2) 44-50

I think I prefer the final puzzle battle in this more than I did in season 1. Regardless, I am curious about one thing. How did Whist end up? Freecell ordered him away, and we see him after he lost to Kaito in that tag maze, so... who exactly was he?
I'm almost convinced he's Freecell's father, but...

Phi Brain (S3) 51

Yay! We're back to the Jin plotline! ... And apparently Raetsel has the same puzzle ability that Kaito, Rook and Freecell have. That'll make it interesting. Although honestly? I already figured out the answer to her door riddle before the episode. It's kind of obvious. The trick is to stop her from rotating the platform.

Still, changing the rules to a puzzle in the middle of a game is terrible. I think only Herbert and a few POG givers did that because they were sore losers. (Speaking of Herbert, I saw him in the OP. I hope he's less... off this time).

cajunator

Banned
Happy Birthday Azula.

I still don't know how that tank got way up that cliff,haha. Just some of the silliness of GuP.

The ship thing is briefly commented on in a later episode and then I think it was the third DVD/BD special goes into more detail on it.

I'd like to take a look at Urusei Yatsura sometime. :)

If you're not aware there's a couple of episodes referred to as 5.5 and 10.5 and one of them goes into more details about the rules.

It's mentioned there are sensors in the shells and/or tanks as far as immobilization. Other things are mentioned such as even if a tank wasn't actually built during the WW2 time frame but as long as blueprints existed then a school could request permission to use it.

Happy birthday Azula!

This looks like something out of Turbo Teen, which is a good thing.

I can't wait to see this scene with Hyouka level artistic value:
0leFUXx.jpg

I'm dead serious.

Hmm that will be something indeed.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
*runs to preorder

Tenumi

Banned
Date A Live: 01

I tossed it in the backlog back when it was airing, and with a second season coming up, I thought it'd be time to give it a watch.

Granted, I've already seen the first three episodes... but still, it's weird, and yet oddly interesting. Harems... can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

CorvoSol

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sword Art Online's great."

"How far are you?"

"Episode 9."

"Exactly."

This thread has shown me I'm that horrible snob who tells people to not have fun.

fertygo

Is Carnival Phantasm worth watching if the only Type-moon stuff I've seen is Fate/Zero and part of Kara no Kyoukai?

I watch all fate and Rakyou and yet don't understand many episode :(
Episode that I do get the jokes is really funny though. F/SN knowledge is a minimum requirement.

Is Carnival Phantasm worth watching if the only Type-moon stuff I've seen is Fate/Zero and part of Kara no Kyoukai?

You're out of luck. This was done prior to Fate Zero (as far as I remember) so nothing from that show appears. And Kara No Kyoukai is basically one of the earlier works of Type Moon and the large inspiration for other works, or something. All I know is that none of the characters really appeared. Maybe once in the later episodes but don't count on them.

So outside of Saber, Gilgamesh and Rin you wouldn't recognize any characters. I'd recommend playing FSN but only if you have the time to put forward to reach the third route. Which they force you to play the first two.

And by the time Ufotable does the new FSN anime, you might've lost interest by then.

cajunator

Banned
Chuunibyou Ren - 2

OLD NIBUTANI IS BACK!!!!!!!!!! YES! YES! YES!
No more bib skirt, no more black hair, hairpin is in the place it was meant to be. all is right with the world.

Loved Nibutani's reaction, Dekomori unable to fake her worries, and cute Rikka being cute.

Chuu2 has regained my approval.

Wow even Nyaruko got liscenced yet poor Mitsudomoe is left forgotten. I say shame on all these company. Shame on them.

Mitsudomoe is kinda odd. But also stuffl ike Mahoraba, Hanamaru Kindergarted and Joshiraku has been left out to dry so it has company. Really fun company that Id like to own :(

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 1

ALL THE KANSAI-BENS. I don't think I've actually seen an anime before in which every single character speaks Kansai-ben! It always seems to be just the one or two token dialect characters, because y'know, whoever heard of dialect speakers being concentrated in a specific locality? That would just be silly.

Also, I think this show may be attempting to grant my wish of Kon from Tokyo Ravens appearing in ALL THE SHOWS, because this show's MC *also* has an ordinarily-invisible adorable familiar with furry ears and tail named Kon. They even seem to have similar styles of speech and mannerisms. Admittedly this one can't match the One True Kon on the cuteness scale (it's a scientifically proven fact that nobody in the world can do that), but it's giving it a pretty good try.

Anyway, this show definitely feels like the rightful successor to last season's Gingitsune. It has a similarly adorable main character, a similar connection to shrines inhabited by fox deities that only she can see, and a similar emphasis on school antics and social troubles. I don't think I like this MC's two best friends as much as I liked Makoto's, but this show seems to be outdoing its predecessor in most other ways. Uka-sama is more entertaining already than Gintarou ever was (lol at
Inari walking in on her surreptitiously playing videogames
, that was cute and vaguely hilarious), Kon is of course cuter than Haru (and has the added advantage of not coming with a Satoru attached), and Makoto wishes she had an awesome transformation ability like Inari does. Antics potential: over 99,000.

Plus Inari has a crush, and that's adorable. She's not the greatest wish-maker in the world, though.

Verdict: APPROVE GREATLY. Why is it not next MOEnesday already.

2 Kons in a season? SEASON OF THE FOREVER EVER

Gunslinger Girl - 01

Fratello means siblings... and gelato means ice cream.

By all means enjoy the hell out of season one and run the fuck away from season two.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha released today. Now to not watch the show until Uka and Touka start getting into the groove of their romance story as I really don't give a crap about the little sister. Anybody know how many episodes it's scheduled for?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tonari no Seki-kun OVA:

Two more of Saki's adventures in wasting time, it looks pretty much like the shorts but lacking in the excellent OP and ED. Yea, these were well worth checking out.

"Hey guys do you want to hear a bunch of drunk men on helium pretending to be teenage girls? Put theses knives in your ear drums first, it'll work better that way."

The Utena dub isn't an amusing bad. It's just flat and dry, and sucks all the life out of a vibrant cast.

I'm not taking this lightly. Granted... there's a part of me that thinks that they won't care, because the group isn't made up of people who are anime aficienados. That's where the real problem comes in.

I'm fine with dubs in other situations though unless it can't be helped.

cajunator

Banned
definitely going to keep watching. Will see

hoping I enjoy, doesn't have to be as funny as the first.
already saw the Saber Lion thing from one episode.

Saber Lion is a miracle and the only reason to watch that.

Inari Konkon - 1
That was really nice. Moe now palm-sized for your convenience.

Now thats what Im talking about!

Date A Live: 01

I tossed it in the backlog back when it was airing, and with a second season coming up, I thought it'd be time to give it a watch.

Granted, I've already seen the first three episodes... but still, it's weird, and yet oddly interesting. Harems... can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

This show is a lot of fun. Really really stupid fun but fun nonetheless. FIlled with waifus too. Gonna need to hear your ranking when its done.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Sword Art Online's great."

"How far are you?"

"Episode 9."

"Exactly."

This thread has shown me I'm that horrible snob who tells people to not have fun.

I even made it that far. Unaware of the horrors that lay just ahead. He will soon realize.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm not taking this lightly. Granted... there's a part of me that thinks that they won't care, because the group isn't made up of people who are anime aficienados. That's where the real problem comes in.

I'm fine with dubs in other situations though unless it can't be helped.

Don't insult your friends like that. Nobody deserves the Utena dub.

Don't insult your friends like that. Nobody deserves the Utena dub.

Frankly, I'm not fond of Mega Man X arguments over X and Zero when it's the same damn thing, and I'm forced to sit through most of it.

On top of Smash Bros lists which are also the same damn thing.

And apparently, I lost one of my cards on the subs, so I need to sell it even better.

EDIT: Just said fuck it. Subs we go.

cajunator

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 04

This episode started pretty weak but constantly improved till the end into something very enjoyable. I'd like this a lot more if it weren't so :shaft.
Nevertheless... I think I'm getting the hang of this show now.
Also that was lewd.

More subtle adorable lewd awaits you.

I would almost go so far as to say that the Utena dub is a greater sin than Sword Art Online. Almost.

I first watched Utena dubbed and took a liking to it as a result. My first Gaf tag was because of that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Despite what some random writers might say, Engranges isn't really like Law and Order in the slightest and after four seasons it's pretty clearly it's own thing. What a terrible comparison.

Anyway, us Brits are lucky enough to have random European shows air over here with subtitles, which is pretty cool.

It's probably short hand for cop show, since it's not like there are any detective shows that don't follow the L&O format these days that aren't already imports. lol

It must be interesting to live in a country where people can just air foreign shit subtitled and that's considered entertainment. I don't know if Americans could even handle Spanish language programming in prime time, let alone French or Danish. And despite the fact that Canada is officially bilingual, there is no French TV on any national television network.

I will say, I wonder what would happen if Netflix not only got into the simulcast game, but if they decided it was worth it to go after the Japanese nerd market. Presumably they're the ones with the bucks and the name recognition to get some bigger acquisitions, and there must be a lot of Asian customers in America that are underserved by cable companies charging 50 bucks a month for random Asian channels.

(What if Netflix just outright bought Crunchyroll and integrated that whole stream into their pipeline? Would simulcast anime suddenly be mainstream? Will Slate start covering it since it's suddenly hipster to do so?!)

I can't do the proper emoticon at the moment since I'm on my phone, but just know that I'm glaring at you. :lol
Sorry, I want my yuri anime to be good! :p

You just have to exercise some self-control. It's not that hard.
Well, I suppose not watching it at all is the extreme of that self-control. lol

You can feel moe for anything. i.e. AnimeGAF is moe for kayos90's questions.
Is that moe, or tsundere?

cajunator

Banned
It tried. Originally they attempted to license it as Ursala's Kiss or something like that. I shudder to think of how the show would have been butchered.

The only problem I have with some english dubs is cutting/editing parts out. Then its not the original anymore. an audio translation is still not a bad thing.

The Utena dub isn't an amusing bad. It's just flat and dry, and sucks all the life out of a vibrant cast.

Season 1 was pretty bad, which was understandable given how cheap it was and how they didn't seem to care much about the release. It improved somewhat for the other two seasons, when they realized they were dealing with a cult classic.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Season 1 was pretty bad, which was understandable given how cheap it was and how they didn't seem to care much about the release. It improved somewhat for the other two seasons, when they realized they were dealing with a cult classic.

Ikuhara still had to come to America just to make sure they didn't fuck up the movie like they did the TV show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

They tried to market it as the next Sailor Moon, yea that got dropped quickly.

Theonik

Tonari no Seki-kun OAD
ivRriU1bXMVdH.png
ibcJm6vvp7lpEh.png

Never have I felt more in sync with an anime character
So I get 3 episodes of Seki-kun this week. It's a miracle. First part was pretty innuendo filled. Second part was sureal, mostly because I felt like my thoughts were being read before me by Kanahana. And it was amazing.

It's also based on the old sound mix that is all out inferior!

Next episode is my favorite of the first season, though it's painfully :shaft so YMMV.
RIP me.

survivor

Banned
It's probably short hand for cop show, since it's not like there are any detective shows that don't follow the L&O format these days that aren't already imports. lol

It must be interesting to live in a country where people can just air foreign shit subtitled and that's considered entertainment. I don't know if Americans could even handle Spanish language programming in prime time, let alone French or Danish. And despite the fact that Canada is officially bilingual, there is no French TV on any national television network.

I will say, I wonder what would happen if Netflix not only got into the simulcast game, but if they decided it was worth it to go after the Japanese nerd market. Presumably they're the ones with the bucks and the name recognition to get some bigger acquisitions, and there must be a lot of Asian customers in America that are underserved by cable companies charging 50 bucks a month for random Asian channels.

(What if Netflix just outright bought Crunchyroll and integrated that whole stream into their pipeline? Would simulcast anime suddenly be mainstream? Will Slate start covering it since it's suddenly hipster to do so?!)
Well Netflix is gonna simulcast Knights of Sidonia in 2014 although their approach is different. The show airs in the spring and they gonna wait till summer to stream all the episodes subbed and dubbed. However I doubt The Atlantic is gonna write another article about how we can take anime seriously this time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Still had the Sailor Moon connection that got dropped once they realized what they actually got here.
I really don't think comparing Utena to Sailor Moon S is inappropriate(pretty sure they had this specifically on the DVD cover, actually), especially since many moments in both feel similar.

Which is understandable, sharing the same director. :p

Jex

(What if Netflix just outright bought Crunchyroll and integrated that whole stream into their pipeline? Would simulcast anime suddenly be mainstream? Will Slate start covering it since it's suddenly hipster to do so?!)?

I don't know about that. Crunchryoll doesn't really seem to be pulling in the 'big bucks' and it's not like the anime market is growing exponentially or anything. It's not even like the Japanese side gets that much money out of having their shows streamed on Crunchyroll either. I actually imagine that the biggest upside for them is that the existence of Crunhyroll, and other legitimate streaming sites, has helped to severely neuter fansubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom