• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuuroden

So gonna ask this question because it was sorta starting to be touched upon in the figure thread. What types of anime endings do you hate the most. The two I most despise are the cop-out ending and the "omg shit is getting so epic, what's going to happen next, WAIT WHAT!! THAT WAS THE LAST EPISODE!?!?WTF" ending.

The cop-out ending example I've used for a very long time is Mai-Hime. The following is the reason why:
The show starts out happy, girls get their powers, they duke it out a little. Then half way through/they find out shit there are repercussions for the power they have. They all have to fight and beat each other till there is 1 victor and if they lose, the one they love most dies. Anyways, the 2nd half is awesome, raw emotions, vengeance, lives destroyed, yet not depressing just real consequences for real actions. Then the last half of the last episode fucking reboot as if nothing happened, fuck that shit. I only loosely explained the plot as its been years since I watched it. The big thing that sticks with me is how much the ending just didn't jive with the entire last half of the show at all.  

The second type of ending is epitomized by 2 shows; Berserk and Tokko, and I totally do not think I need to explain my choice of Berserk.

CorvoSol

I'm not taking this lightly. Granted... there's a part of me that thinks that they won't care, because the group isn't made up of people who are anime aficienados. That's where the real problem comes in.

I'm fine with dubs in other situations though unless it can't be helped.

I don't mind dubs if they're well done. Utena's dub is not well done. At times I also prefer to hear something in Japanese because I think it's better or because I'm more used to it.

Like I first saw G Gundam dubbed and loved it based on that alone. I now prefer it subbed because I think the original cast did a better job (and I think this is in no small part simply because dubbing wasn't that great in the era when G got dubbed.)

On the other hand I can't watch Full Metal Panic! or Azumanga Daioh subbed because I'm too used to the dubs.

I first watched Utena dubbed and took a liking to it as a result. My first Gaf tag was because of that.

Some people go their whole time on GAF without ever getting a single tag. Cajun has lived the life of a hundred thousand juniors.

Sounds like something the Utena show would have come up on its own.

It was sposed to be a joke about how Sailor Moon changed its lesbians to cousins.

Seriously though, the dub isnt that bad. I think its fitting.

ly awful.

Orphen 4

So this episode has Orphen teach Magic and Cleo valuable lessons about appreciating nature and how the world itself is magical (or made magical by ancient civilizations.) The animators accordingly went wild during the beautiful golden blue eclipse flower sequence and did all kinds of magic with Cleo's hair and dress physics at that moment (God, when 90s anime animation was good it was STELLAR). And of course the episode begins with naked Cleo bathtime fan service and magical peeping tom hijinks.

No wonder I loved this show as a teen.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 11

I find it vaguely amusing somehow to watch Bunbee on the receiving end of one of those "if you don't provide me with results soon, you will disgrace me in front of the Big Bad" speeches from his superior, considering how around this point in the first season he was the one giving those speeches.

So yeah, Takehito Koyasu went and transformed into a giant scorpion which was too tough for the Cures to beat, but not for MILKY ROSE! She gets a transformation sequence and a finisher and everything now! And a name, too! (It looks like whatever crazy magic prevents people from recognising the Cures in civilian form is in full effect on her too, though, because the Cures had no clue who she was until she transformed. Except Nozomi, who recognised her scent. Her scent. GAIS SHE LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME.)

Oh, and Cure Mint's offensive attack doubles up as...a SHIELD. Because of course it does.

wonzo

Banned
i3EqhB3vAlB29.png

uka-sama hnnngh

Quasar

I don't know about that. Crunchryoll doesn't really seem to be pulling in the 'big bucks' and it's not like the anime market is growing exponentially or anything. It's not even like the Japanese side gets that much money out of having their shows streamed on Crunchyroll either. I actually imagine that the biggest upside for them is that the existence of Crunhyroll, and other legitimate streaming sites, has helped to severely neuter fansubbing.

I am kind of curious to know how many paying members they have. I guess it would be in the tens of thousands. I'm still kind of amazed they continue to give it all away free (albeit with ads) rather than use the netflix model.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well Netflix is gonna simulcast Knights of Sidonia in 2014 although their approach is different. The show airs in the spring and they gonna wait till summer to stream all the episodes subbed and dubbed. However I doubt The Atlantic is gonna write another article about how we can take anime seriously this time.
Oh, I had no idea they were planning that. I figure if they do it enough, someone will have to pay attention to it and at least write an article about the joys of watching Japanese shows on Netflix or something.

I don't know about that. Crunchryoll doesn't really seem to be pulling in the 'big bucks' and it's not like the anime market is growing exponentially or anything. It's not even like the Japanese side gets that much money out of having their shows streamed on Crunchyroll either. I actually imagine that the biggest upside for them is that the existence of Crunhyroll, and other legitimate streaming sites, has helped to severely neuter fansubbing.
Well, I figure that anime would be a start for them to just move into the realm of picking up Jdramas. Although I figure the big problem there would be how cheap most Jdrama look... I assume these French shows on Netflix at least have production values equivalent to American/British fair that people are used to anyway.

I suppose the weird part of Crunchyroll is that all they're really doing is paying fansubbers a small fee to do something they would have done for free anyway and then try to make a few bucks off of that.

You probably don't have a bank of translators you can use to help simulcast some German or Russian television show or something, unfortunately.

(There's a small part of me that really wants to watch the Russian versions of American television shows out of morbid :Chitanda. The fact that Married with Children and Everybody Loves Raymond are big hits there is really fascinating).

any good anime podcasts?
I assume AWO is still doing sporadic episodes, but that's about it. ANNCast is only good when they have a guest on and you skip the opening bits where they talk about what they've been watching.

I would say my podcast, Bravo Whiskey, but I know that'd be a lie. lol
Although, I do think it was interesting to hear about the Ghibli films from zeroshiki the day of release. Even better was when I got him to watch Ano Hana for the podcast!

Jex

Well, I figure that anime would be a start for them to just move into the realm of picking up Jdramas. Although I figure the big problem there would be how cheap most Jdrama look... I assume these French shows on Netflix at least have production values equivalent to American/British fair that people are used to anyway.

Right. The imports that the BBC brings over, at least, have pretty great production values thanks to all the talent working in those television industries. Jdrama on the other hand kind of looks around the level of an indie youtuber. I really don't know when or why Japan dropped the ball on live action but while everyone else is making TV shows that look as good as movies Japan is rocking 70's level production values.

Gazoinks

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack on Titan off the shoulder of Crunchyroll. I watched moe glitter in the dark near KyoAni. All those moments will be lost in time... like pantsu in the wind... Time to squee.

Jex

So gonna ask this question because it was sorta starting to be touched upon in the figure thread. What types of anime endings do you hate the most. The two I most despise are the cop-out ending and the "omg shit is getting so epic, what's going to happen next, WAIT WHAT!! THAT WAS THE LAST EPISODE!?!?WTF" ending.

The second type of ending is epitomized by 2 shows; Berserk and Tokko, and I totally do not think I need to explain my choice of Berserk.
The reason endings get a bad rap in anime is nearly all down to the fact that most anime are adaptations of manga which don't get to adapt the entire series. That's pretty much the long and the short of it, as you've noted. When you can't adapt the whole manga you either:

a) Cut off the story abruptly or
b) Make up you ending

both of these choices tend to lead towards underwhelming endings. Once you've move away from "anime adaptations of manga where they can't finish adapting the manga" I'd say anime endings are as good or bad as in any other field.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right. The imports that the BBC brings over, at least, have pretty great production values thanks to all the talent working in those television industries. Jdrama on the other hand kind of looks around the level of an indie youtuber. I really don't know when or why Japan dropped the ball on live action but while everyone else is making TV shows that look as good as movies Japan is rocking 70's level production values.
Well, hopefully this stuff sort of trickles outward and people consider the global market as a viable place to sell their work, so that everyone increases their production values/improves their skills to try to match shows from other countries. Hell, I know Japan already has to compete with dubbed American television, so there is already some competition there.

Of course, I would still want shows to be true to their own specific domestic concerns... if every show ended up being an American sitcom or an American cop show, the world would be a boring, boring place.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack on Titan off the shoulder of Crunchyroll. I watched moe glitter in the dark near KyoAni. All those moments will be lost in time... like pantsu in the wind... Time to squee.
You turn a tsundere sister on her back and watch it die in the sun. How do you feel?

---

Chuu2
GMmMviLl.png

You know, I just realized, this is probably the first KyoAni anime since their Key days to feature actual romance. I think the two characters here have gone further than any of the characters in any of their shows in the last five years.

Although, maybe there was romance in FMP? I don't really remember.

cajunator

Banned
That dub was a crime against humanity.

Lets not talk about CCS dub.

The cop-out ending example I've used for a very long time is Mai-Hime. The following is the reason why:
The show starts out happy, girls get their powers, they duke it out a little. Then half way through/they find out shit there are repercussions for the power they have. They all have to fight and beat each other till there is 1 victor and if they lose, the one they love most dies. Anyways, the 2nd half is awesome, raw emotions, vengeance, lives destroyed, yet not depressing just real consequences for real actions. Then the last half of the last episode fucking reboot as if nothing happened, fuck that shit. I only loosely explained the plot as its been years since I watched it. The big thing that sticks with me is how much the ending just didn't jive with the entire last half of the show at all.  

My least favorite is the
reboot
as you said, followed by deus ex machina. Both of them very unsatisfying. Also ambiguous endings are kinda bothersome in a way but are appropriate for some shows.

Real Drive 1

This looks pretty interesting. Also how many episodes does it take before Moretsu Pirates becomes worthwhile to watch? Episode 1-4 brings the zzz.

Give it another couple episodes or so then they go out in space and stuff happens. And yuri.

i3EqhB3vAlB29.png

uka-sama hnnngh

Oh my god. OH MY GOD.

Jex

Well, hopefully this stuff sort of trickles outward and people consider the global market as a viable place to sell their work, so that everyone increases their production values/improves their skills to try to match shows from other countries. Hell, I know Japan already has to compete with dubbed American television, so there is already some competition there.

Of course, I would still want shows to be true to their own specific domestic concerns... if every show ended up being an American sitcom or an American cop show, the world would be a boring, boring place.
The thing about American cultural dominance since WWII (what with European films being kind of down for the count during this time) is that it's so prevalent that it's already 'Amercanising' media around the world for decades but as we're still seeing a number of culturally distinct variations of standard genre works I don't think there's too much to worry about on that front.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The thing about American cultural dominance since WWII (what with European films being kind of down for the count during this time) is that it's so prevalent that it's already 'Amercanising' media around the world for decades but as we're still seeing a number of culturally distinct variations of standard genre works I don't think there's too much to worry about on that front.
True. Even with the Jamie Bamber version of Law and Order, they had to make their lawyers wear wigs! lol

Inari Konkon

This show is quite adorable and for some reason very calming. This is like Gingitsune but since I've read the manga its got more plot.

Definitely watching this till the end!

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 30

ktNxWHT.gif

So the Dinosaur Empire has gotten extremely desperate at this point in the series because they accidentally woke up the Demon Emperor, who is apparently scary even to Emperor Gore. In their desperation, though, they've become incredibly fierce. For several episodes now, Gore has had the Getter team on the ropes and this time he manages to destroy the Getter Robo and the Getter labs (mind you the Getter Robo has also begun to lose popular support since many of Emperor Gore's attempts to defeat it have harmed the populace to no small degree.).

Then Getter Robo goes Phoenix and beats the shit out of General Batto's newest Mechasaur. I don't think Emperor Gore is long for the world with this kind of success rate he has.

Quasar

Well better not even bother watching this. Don't think it could possibly catch up with the manga with 10 episodes. At least not reach the point I care about.

That kind of has been my attitude. Hell I feared given how short the series is that they might even just reduce (or even excise) Uka-Touka due to lack of episodes.

I am kind of curious to know how many paying members they have. I guess it would be in the tens of thousands. I'm still kind of amazed they continue to give it all away free (albeit with ads) rather than use the netflix model.

Don't quote me on this but there are easy to access streaming websites for anime all over the internet. And people who tend to watch anime are more computer savvy, seeing how they must've found the thing to begin with. While Netflix has western shows for the most part, and largely its audience is less technically savvy folk so they don't have to worry about other means. Take into account that Hulu used to do ads before they decided to fuck over freebie users. Hulu might be the better comparison as they used to be largely ad based, now it's subscription based.

That kind of has been my attitude. Hell I feared given how short the series is that they might even just reduce (or even excise) Uka-Touka due to lack of episodes.

If they reduce Uka-Touka what would be the point of it all? Friendship between a little girl and a goddess? The story of growing up? Little kid romance?

FUCK ALL DAT SHIT. I WANT GODDESS HIGH SCHOOL BOY ROMANCE, SON.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 12

Milky Rose - er, I mean Mimino Kurumi - transfers into the Cures' school! And immediately starts trying to be the biggest Mary Sue the world has ever seen. She's pretty good at it, to be honest - it's just a pity she can't remember the little things like
the difference between Venice and Tennis
, or
the difference between scoring in the opponent's basket and her own team's
=p

Still, I wonder how she could possibly know so much about the Cures when they've only just met?! I definitely can't think of anyone who might share a connection to Milky Rose, have a name that's an anagram of "Kurumi", or have been seen recently watering magical glowing blue roses. It's a total mystery!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel like saying why is this the first time I've heard about this podcast, but at the back of my mind there's a lingering thought that I have previously heard of it but just never really took notice.

Acosta

Finally watched the two final chapters of GTO.

It was nice but felt kinda rushed... did something happen?

Anyway, I'm really glad of having watched this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom