• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Anime World Order is the best anime podcast around, although they're very infrequent.

I enjoy Dynaimte in the Brain as well.

And of course firehawk12 may also have some podcast thingymabbob.
Sometimes AWO's in depth reviews are neat, but their opinions are super narrow minded and kind of just come across as the sort of thing you'd never want to listen to anyways. They are sort of just detestable people.

Dynamite in the Brain is one that I really want to like but the opinions are just so rotten, and the discussions are really lacking in merit that I'm mostly just put off by the whole thing. Their end of year wrap up had this really creepy guy on it who was getting worked up over anime girls. I thought about taking audio clips from it but I didn't really see the point when they're so unknown.

cnet128

Banned
Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 13

Eternal send some old woman with a book to taunt Syrup about how he's an amnesiac who doesn't belong anywhere or something. Oh, and steal the Rose Pact. Which she does. And then refuses to run away until Milky Rose steals it back. Great plan, creepy woman.

Kurumi is so adorable when she's trying too hard to show off. Somehow it reminds me of someone... (And it looks like it reminds Nuts of someone, too!)

Phi Brain (S2) 44-50

I think I prefer the final puzzle battle in this more than I did in season 1. Regardless, I am curious about one thing. How did Whist end up? Freecell ordered him away, and we see him after he lost to Kaito in that tag maze, so... who exactly was he?
I'm almost convinced he's Freecell's father, but...

Yeah S2 final puzzle ws much better than S1
Whist is MIA

Phi Brain (S3) 51

Yay! We're back to the Jin plotline! ... And apparently Raetsel has the same puzzle ability that Kaito, Rook and Freecell have. That'll make it interesting. Although honestly? I already figured out the answer to her door riddle before the episode. It's kind of obvious. The trick is to stop her from rotating the platform.

Still, changing the rules to a puzzle in the middle of a game is terrible. I think only Herbert and a few POG givers did that because they were sore losers. (Speaking of Herbert, I saw him in the OP. I hope he's less... off this time).
She didn't change the rules.. you'll see in ep 52 that
it was a double set of rules from the start
Real Drive 1

This looks pretty interesting. Also how many episodes does it take before Moretsu Pirates becomes worthwhile to watch? Episode 1-4 brings the zzz.
Moretsu pirates should get much better for ep 5 , 1-4 was a prologue to set events.

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 12

Milky Rose - er, I mean Mimino Kurumi - transfers into the Cures' school! And immediately starts trying to be the biggest Mary Sue the world has ever seen. She's pretty good at it, to be honest - it's just a pity she can't remember the little things like
the difference between Venice and Tennis
, or
the difference between scoring in the opponent's basket and her own team's
=p

Still, I wonder how she could possibly know so much about the Cures when they've only just met?! I definitely can't think of anyone who might share a connection to Milky Rose, have a name that's an anagram of "Kurumi", or have been seen recently watering magical glowing blue roses. It's a total mystery!
I wonder if we'll ever know who she trully is.

Finally watched the two final chapters of GTO.

It was nice but felt kinda rushed... did something happen?

Anyway, I'm really glad of having watched this.

Anime got a rushed filler ending because at the time it had caught up with the manga manga got the best ending possible . you should read it it's garanteed awesome.

Quasar

Dynamite in the Brain is one that I really want to like but the opinions are just so rotten, and the discussions are really lacking in merit that I'm mostly just put off by the whole thing. Their end of year wrap up had this really creepy guy on it who was getting worked up over anime girls. I thought about taking audio clips from it but I didn't really see the point when they're so unknown.

I listened to that and don't remember that at all. Just the Arpeggio rage.

Mature

Sometimes AWO's in depth reviews are neat, but their opinions are super narrow minded and kind of just come across as the sort of thing you'd never want to listen to anyways. They are sort of just detestable people.

While I've found myself on the other side of the fence regarding their opinions multiple times, I think they make up for it in their form. Brian and Anthony have a good synergy (in-part by their distinctly different tastes) and have the most important quality that most podcasts lack: they're listenable. Not to mention they have a good structure. I always get a good laugh from the retro recaps and the inane games Brian constructs.

Regarding the creepy guy, I think you may be referring to Bradley (the American)? I'm sort of on the same page there... but generally the guests are good to great.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 31

Were those supermodel braces real? They look like straitjackets except for every part of your body. I feel like use of those is probably banned now.

Wonder when Ichigo and the others are going to find out about Ichigo's mom. Kinda surprised Aoi hasn't figured it out already.

Buddy Complex 2
This coupling thing sounds so weird lol. Also, Dio mech is called Bradyon and I can't think of other thing than Brando, making me think: "man, that new Stardust Crusaders will be the best thing ever". If this was Valvrave then Dio should be a pilot. Which he is. But he is not a vampire :(

So, yeah, space regular nazis of ZvesdaZogilia attacking good old Japan that's allied (not neutral this time!) with the mighty and good America. Yep, another mecha anime from Sunrise. Which is not a bad thing for me.

The Eccentric Family 01

rOjAGHF.jpg

So. A show about tanuki, tengu and humans in Kyoto. Interesting. I like the dirty and run down look of the various places.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yu-Gi-Oh S0 17

hNXSo70.jpg

Yugi continues his quest to troll the world, but today's game is E-Card. Too bad tigers can't slip through two foot openings in doors or Anzu would have gotten it!

NeonZ

So gonna ask this question because it was sorta starting to be touched upon in the figure thread. What types of anime endings do you hate the most. The two I most despise are the cop-out ending and the "omg shit is getting so epic, what's going to happen next, WAIT WHAT!! THAT WAS THE LAST EPISODE!?!?WTF" ending.

The cop-out ending example I've used for a very long time is Mai-Hime. The following is the reason why:
The show starts out happy, girls get their powers, they duke it out a little. Then half way through/they find out shit there are repercussions for the power they have. They all have to fight and beat each other till there is 1 victor and if they lose, the one they love most dies. Anyways, the 2nd half is awesome, raw emotions, vengeance, lives destroyed, yet not depressing just real consequences for real actions. Then the last half of the last episode fucking reboot as if nothing happened, fuck that shit. I only loosely explained the plot as its been years since I watched it. The big thing that sticks with me is how much the ending just didn't jive with the entire last half of the show at all.  

My HiME's ending wasn't really a reboot, just a very badly executed ending.

Everyone still theoretically remembered everything and everything still happened, it's just that the ending basically completely ignored any consequences of all that, followed by an extremely underwhelming final battle.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 28

Oh right, no more money for people above floor 200. Frankly, it seems like this place would crash the economy as it is.

The Eccentric Family 01

So. A show about tanuki, tengu and humans in Kyoto. Interesting. I like the dirty and run down look of the various places.

Not sure why, I did like 10 minutes of this and shut it off. Its rare that I dismiss a show so quickly, but it was like as soon as girl talked with guy voice I just said "nop!" and started something else.

Not sure why, I did like 10 minutes of this and shut it off. Its rare that I dismiss a show so quickly, but it was like as soon as girl talked with guy voice I just said "nop!" and started something else.

You're REALLY missing out as the whole transforming into a girl thing only lasts a couple of episodes and never turns up again. It's easily one of the better animes of 2013. It gets weird later on but not with major crossdressing.

cnet128

Banned

How does it feel to be a terrible person?

(No seriously, it's a great show and you're missing out.)

I haven't completely removed it from my CR queue, but I also have like 20 shows queued up so if something turns me off right away its easy for me to justify putting it aside and switching to something else. Only other show to do that was My Mental Choices.

Saint Seiya Omega 86
BeD4QpeCYAAU6XJ.png

Wow this is truly the best episode yet, epic Subaru, epic themes that I enjoy in these type of anime
insert song even for the explosive new OMEGA powers given to everyone, and just plain slaughter overkill and destruction of the enemy in regards to the back to back to back attacks from all. HI ougis everywhere even!
. Easily, the best one!

cnet128

Banned
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 29

Suddenly we're having a Beyblade match. What's next? Super YoYo matches?
lol

And how! =D

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 14

Well, the secret is out. Guys, you're never gonna believe this, but Milky Rose turned out to be
Syrup! ...Okay, I lied, it was Milk.

This episode also featured Bunbee being surprisingly competent. Not that "surprisingly competent" is good enough when you're up against five Cures, Milky Rose and the King of Delicious Donuts (they must be delicious, they were enough to convince Syrup to do actual work).

Quasar

I think I need the Jeff Cannata of anime podcasters. Someone who loves loving things but who is thoughtful and articulate about it. Nerdrage doesn't do it for me.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 30

In a journey to discover how to use Nen
tendo
, Gon and Killua are unaware that the exam isn't over yet. And we must develop everyone in the main cast!
Fuck I don't remember if Leorio gets demonstrated on screen.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 30

So several important things in this episode, I think.

1.) First time we get a really good look at GMs (they're cooler than Zakus, dammit.)
2.) First time Char Aznable deploys Bearguys to do his bidding.
3.) Char and Sayla meet and Sayla does a REALLY bad job of hiding this, causing Mirai to be suspicious of her.
4.) Amuro kills all four Bearguys in less than a minute, demonstrating the sheer amount he's grown since the series began in terms of combat prowess.
5.) Multiple opportunities arise to kill or abandon Katz and not a one is taken. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My HiME's ending wasn't really a reboot, just a very badly executed ending.

Everyone still theoretically remembered everything and everything still happened, it's just that the ending basically completely ignored any consequences of all that, followed by an extremely underwhelming final battle.

I still have nightmares about that ending, so very horrible.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 31

Nen-Nen-Ninja!
Happiness continues to charge

Continuing on with more showings of just how diverse Nen really is. No matter what, it seems like you're always Armed.

What could possibly go wrong in this match up?

survivor

Banned
Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta 13

Finally had time to finish watching this series. Very good action anime with lots of lively battle animations. Not to mention the sounds used for tuning or striking and for the fights can get you very hyped. Most of the downtime episodes were very boring and the tragic shounen backstories aren't very well written, but at least the characters were tolerable enough to carry the show through the bad parts. I am a bit disappointed by Enjin's goals, I seriously hope there is more to him than just
wanting to conquer the world

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chuu2-2-2:

Best girl...
QL61lvn.jpg

...being best girl.
JGLVJ0T.jpg

Otherwise this was a cute little episode. I like the addition of
yuri
girl, and the bit where Rikka finally decided to
hold hands
was super cute. :3

Though of course all of that changes next week.

Branduil

If you're not aware there's a couple of episodes referred to as 5.5 and 10.5 and one of them goes into more details about the rules.

It's mentioned there are sensors in the shells and/or tanks as far as immobilization. Other things are mentioned such as even if a tank wasn't actually built during the WW2 time frame but as long as blueprints existed then a school could request permission to use it.

So I have to actually watch the recaps? Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom