• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WinXP help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiZ III

Im using WinXP professional.

Im having a really random error. Whenever I click on certain avi files, everything crashes. Restores window after a few seconds. The files play fine on my friends computer. Hes using winxp as well. Whats wrong? Ne idea?

Ecrofirt

honestly, try a different media player and see if you're getting the same error.

WMP is fucked up the ass on my PC, and I'm unable to get it fixed. It gives me errors whenever I try to open mp3s, wmvs, and the like. I've tried looking for the Sasser worm, like many have suggested, but I'm NOT infected. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP, to no avail.

Arrgh.

RiZ III

its all the media players. It crashes even before I get to open it. As soon as I select it in explorer, it crashes. The only way i can select it/open it without it crashing is open whatever media player and then do open file. But then it crashes after it opens the file.

Ecrofirt

hmm, now that's an odd one.

It's a stretch, but maybe try getting G-Spot and see what the codec is, then download a codec pack with that codec.

The last time I had issues similar to this, it was because of the codec pack I installed on my pc. Specifically, the Matroska pack. Uninstalling it fixed the issue, but without it installed I couldn't play mkv files. If he's not that codec pack installed, that's likely the issue but otherwise the only sure fire way I know of to fix issues like that is to blow away and reinstall windows and watch very carefully what you install so you can find out what caused it.

Ecrofirt

I just installed that pack last night.

I'll test my PC now to see if i'm getting the same errors, and I'll be back in a minute with answers.

Ecrofirt

Well, I'm getting the same error now.

It seems to happen on files that say 'DIVXMPG4 V3' in the video compression section of properties.

I'm uninstallnig the pack, and we'll see if it still happens.

Thanks Discharger!

Ecrofirt

RiZ, if you've got the Matroska pack, get rid of it. My files are working again. I've got XBMC to play mkv files, so I'm not hurting.

RiZ III

Well I dont think i have the Matroska pack cause I just did a search for it and it didn't come up. Must be some other pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom