• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wireless networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted before, but now that I've got hardware I'm having trouble setting it up and can't tell if it's just the way I'm setting it up, or if I just don't have the right hardware. Here's the scenario

I'm trying to connect an office and the living room wirelessly.

The office has two desktops, hooked up with a Linksys BEFW11S4 4 port, 802.11b wireless router. Both desktops are connected by cat5 cable into the router. We also have a laptop that has wireless built in.

Now I also have a living room that has a Netgear 5 port switch. Hooked up to it is a PS2, GC, Xbox, and Tivo.

I just bought a Linksys WAP54G 802.11g access point to connect to the switch in the living room in hopes of connecting all the devices in our living room to the network wirelessly.

The Linksys access point has four modes it can be set in: Access Point, Access Point Client, Wireless Repeater, and Wireless Bridge.

So as of now, I can't seem to connect the access point to my wireless router. I've tried setting things up in the setup screen, but have had no luck. Does anyone have any idea what my problem may be? Will it simply not work with the hardware I have? If so, what hardware do I need to replace? The access point or the router? If it's not my hardware, what mode am I supposed to be in on the access point?

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks. Trying to find out ASAP what I need to do so I can return this access point to Fry's if I need to.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sounds like you want to use wireless bridge mode, to bring the Tivo etc across to the wireless access point in your router. I've never tried it with a switch on the end, but it should be OK.

You'll also need to make sure its in 'b' mode to connect to your access point.

I guess you'd need to connect to your new device via ethernet on your laptop to access its settings (probaby web server?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom