• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wish there was a modern, offline PTCG video game

Went back and played the old PTCG GBC games, and they still hold up really well. They were super fucking challenging too, more so than any other Pokémon games I've played. I lost quite a bit and had to experiment with different deck builds.

It just got me thinking, I wish Nintendo would take the chance on a modern PTCG video game, and not just the live service, online only one that's currently out, but an offline one in the vein of their mainline titles (going gym to gym in a region, or set of regions).

IAmRei

I forgot about PKM TCG, well, i recall there is also Digimon, and somehow SNKvCapcom card games 20 years ago. I think Online Capabilities kill the genre 10 years ago. Too bad, i might not fan, but sometimes i want to play this genre in offline tho

Isn't there a mobile game that is pretty good
The mobile game's the online live service one, which is just an extension of the offline PTCG. It's pay to win, of course.

I gave it a try, but it's mostly people using the same insane meta decks, or people quitting at the start of a match if they don't get the draws they wanted, or people who draw out the timer to get you to forfeit. It's really not very good or fun at all.

I forgot about PKM TCG, well, i recall there is also Digimon, and somehow SNKvCapcom card games 20 years ago. I think Online Capabilities kill the genre 10 years ago. Too bad, i might not fan, but sometimes i want to play this genre in offline tho
I think an offline PTCG video game that's story driven like their main titles, could still have a place in today's landscape. Not everyone who's interested in the PTCG wants to play a highly competitive, P2W, toxic online environment version of it.

The two GBC games were a lot of fun, even now. They didn't have any of that baggage.

El Muerto

Gold Member
You could always play the romhack with updated cards.
I used to play the shit out of that game growing up. That and yugioh on my gameboy. Havent played another card game the lived up to those two. They were simple and fun.

You could always play the romhack with updated cards.
I used to play the shit out of that game growing up. That and yugioh on my gameboy. Havent played another card game the lived up to those two. They were simple and fun.
Thanks for the rec! I'll check it out. Yeah the Yugioh one was great. I played the PS1 version. If there's a GB version, I'll have to check that one out, too.

The current PTCG rules are the same but the cards and power scaling and way different from what you remember.
Yeah, I got a feel for how the current PTCG plays from having played the live service one for a couple weeks.

I don't hate it, even though the cards and power scaling are drastically different from how the TCG started. It's still a lot of fun, I just hate the reliance on meta decks and underhanded tactics online players use.

An offline variant could solve all that. If every trainer or gym leader came equipped with meta busting decks, it'd force people to experiment and create builds specific for each fight. Also, locking powerful cards behind side quests or bosses would prevent the issue of pack pulling something too OP that would throw off the balance, at least until endgame.

Top Bottom