• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 02•17-19•17 - Americans say no to The Wall on Presidents' Day Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

NOTE: xaosslug caught a ban, so I am filling in this week

3IjkXhn.png

gLNrtYM.png

Fjxw1Tt.png

hhpxkNW.png

bawDQKR.png

‘Lego Batman' Flies High Over ‘Great Wall,' ‘Fist Fight'

”The Lego Batman Movie" is dominating the North American box office with an estimated $44 million this President's Day weekend — nearly matching the combined haul of ”Fifty Shades Darker" and ”The Great Wall."

Universal's second weekend of ”Fifty Shades" is heading for $24 million at 3,714 sites and its action-fantasy ”The Great Wall" was projected to wind up with $21 million at 3,325 locations for the Friday-Monday period. Lionsgate's second weekend of ”John Wick: Chapter 2" is finishing in a solid fourth place with $19.5 million at 3,113 venues as holdovers propped up the holiday weekend business.

New Line's opening of high school comedy ”Fist Fight" showed only a modest punch in fifth with around $14 million at 3,185 locations. And Fox's horror-thriller ”A Cure for Wellness" was scaring up a modest $4.9 million at 2,704 screens as it was projected to finish 11th.

”Lego Batman," Warner Bros.' spinoff of 2014's ”The Lego Movie," is playing at 4,088 sites and will wind up the weekend with more than $108 million in its first 11 days. It opened with $53 million on the Feb. 10-12 weekend, so it's declined by only 35 percent in the second Friday-Sunday period.

Will Arnett returns as the voice of Batman, along with Zach Galifianakis, Michael Cera, Rosario Dawson, and Ralph Fiennes. ”Lego Batman" scored strong critical support with a 91 percent ”fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

”Fifty Shades Darker" declined about 55 percent from its opening weekend and should finish the weekend with an 11-day total of $93 million.

Universal's ”The Great Wall" is performing above recent forecasts, which had pegged the film to finish in the $17 million range. Still, the number isn't particularly impressive, given the $150 million budget for the Legendary production — the most expensive movie ever shot in China.

4-DAY WEEKEND ESTIMATES

*click pic for full list/source*

3-DAY WEEKEND ESTIMATES

Saw LEGO Batman this morning, really enjoyed it. Might go see John Wick 2 over the course of the week.

That seems like a good hold for 50 Shades.

Finaj

Did Moana really only get $573 million world wide? I would think that would still be a success, but it's a Disney Princess movie. Zootopia and Big Hero 6 both did better than it.

John Wick finally came out over here on Friday, right as I started my run of weekend shifts, can't wait to see it tomorrow. Also, Damn at that metacritic score for it!

Penguin

I know opened soft, but that's a really good hold for LEGO Batman.

HAs to be one of the best holds for a comic property, no?

Also why was slug banned?

Rogue One has its first weekend under a million on its 10th week, after losing about 500 theaters.

It'll probably run another 5 or 6 weeks (mostly in the dollar theaters) and nose slightly over 530, but fall just short of The Dark Knight at #6 on the all-time list.

Star Wars all-time top 10 domestic (unadjusted, because adjusted numbers are horseshit):

1) The Force Awakens — 936mil (2015) (24 week run)
2) Rogue One — 530mil (2016) (est. 15 week run)
3) The Phantom Menace — 431mil (1999) (37 week run)
4) Revenge of the Sith — 380mil (2005) (22 week run)
5) Star Wars — 307mil (1977) (44 week run)
6) Attack of the Clones — 302mil (2002) (25 week run)
7) Return of the Jedi — 252mil (1983) (42 week run)
8) The Empire Strikes Back — 209mil (1980) (data incomplete)
9) Star Wars: Special Edition — 138mil (1997) (14 week run)
10) The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition — 67mil (1997) (12 week run)

Alrus

That's a surprisingly good hold for Fifty shades no? I expected it to drop super hard.

Cure for Wellness bombed hard.

Haha, that thread title made my fucking day!

Holy shit at that debut for A Cure for Making Good Movies, that's worse than Crimson Puke right?

Man I really wanted JWc2 to steal that third spot from The Great White Hope.

The countdown to Logan begins.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Haha, that thread title made my fucking day!

Holy shit at that debut for A Cure for Making Good Movies, that's worse than Crimson Stinks right?

Man I really wanted JWc2 to steal that third spot from The Great White Hope.

The countdown to Logan begins.

It's crazy how the foreign market are really thirsting for that Hope.

Lupercal

Banned
Rogue One has its first weekend under a million on its 10th week, after losing about 500 theaters.

It'll probably run another 5 or 6 weeks (mostly in the dollar theaters) and nose slightly over 530, but fall just short of The Dark Knight at #6 on the all-time list.

Star Wars all-time top 10 domestic (unadjusted, because adjusted numbers are horseshit):

1) The Force Awakens — 936mil (2015) (24 week run)
2) Rogue One — 530mil (2016) (est. 15 week run)
3) The Phantom Menace — 431mil (1999) (37 week run)
4) Revenge of the Sith — 380mil (2005) (22 week run)
5) Star Wars — 307mil (1977) (44 week run)
6) Attack of the Clones — 302mil (2002) (25 week run)
7) Return of the Jedi — 252mil (1983) (42 week run)
8) The Empire Strikes Back — 209mil (1980) (data incomplete)
9) Star Wars: Special Edition — 138mil (1997) (14 week run)
10) The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition — 67mil (1997) (12 week run)

Empire what a bomb.

Heh. For that year, it was the #1 movie domestically, doubling the money that #2 brought in (9 to 5, 103mil)

For its Special Edition release, it just barely missed that year's top 20, but it still beat out Dante's Peak, Anaconda, L.A. Confidential, and the Fifth Element

Slayven

Heh. For that year, it was the #1 movie domestically, doubling the money that #2 brought in (9 to 5, 103mil)

For its Special Edition release, it just barely missed that year's top 20, but it still beat out Dante's Peak, Anaconda, L.A. Confidential, and the Fifth Element

I remember seeing Anaconda in theaters. I also traded a stack of Nintendo Powers for an EP VHS worth of Playboy TV. I was robbed.

Ridley327

That title.

At least Cure's budget is low for a Verbinski film.

Yeah, it's on the lower end of his usual output. Surprisingly, The Ring a bit more expensive than this, though I'm sure star power played a big part in that, as Dane Dehaan is no Naomi Watts.

....buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut to put things into perspective, his cheapest film was The Weather Man at $21 million, and even that couldn't make its budget back.

Jawmuncher

I can't get over how much money XXX has made.
Overseas love Vin Diesel.

Makes me wonder if a new Riddick could make that much now.

Schlorgan

Yeah, it's on the lower end of his usual output. Surprisingly, The Ring a bit more expensive than this, though I'm sure star power played a big part in that, as Dane Dehaan is no Naomi Watts.
Cure also has Jason Isaacs, but I don't know how much he goes for, but I can guarantee he's more than DeHaan.

Ridley327

Cure also has Jason Isaacs, but I don't know how much he goes for. I guarantee more than DeHaan.

Given the amount of roles he's had in this past decade, I don't think that the Harry Potter association really counts for that much, especially since it's for a rather minor role. If the company that put out El Shaddai can afford him, he isn't that picky.

Litan

Xaoss is probably reading this thread right now. How do you guys think these kinds of posts make him feel? You heartless bastards...

Xaoss is probably reading this thread right now. How do you guys think these kinds of posts make him feel? You heartless bastards...

Oh he knows full well how we felt about his puns.

He doubled down, years ago so in moments like this, we playfully jab him. We love him though and he knows that.

Bobby especially loves his tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom