• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WonderSwan Color/SwanCrystal appreciation thread

cvxfreak

...for those who own either one, or both. I only own FFII and FFIV, but I bought the system and the two games, all brand new, for about $45 (1980 Yen for the SC/1480 Yen for FFIV/980 Yen for FFII). I don't like this handheld much, it's small and the screen size sucks, the button placement is odd, the sound bites since there's no headphone jack and the battery cover protrudes. However, for one AA battery, there's quite a lot of life in this handheld, and the graphics are pretty good, somewhere just a notch or two below GBA but not too much. Ultimately, I can see why GBA smashed this handheld like there was no tomorrow. Although at the price I bought it for, I'm surprised it sells less than 100 units a week in Japan.

7.5/10

bjork

I own the beatmania game for it, but not the WS itself. I need to get one... it's got Klonoa, One Piece, and Go, so it can't be all bad.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Weren't they planning on releasing it here but decided not to at the last minute? Maybe I thinking of something else entirely.

I would have loved to see it released here (at a cheap pricepoint). It seemed to have some interesting titles for it and I'm a sucker for the handheld market. Sad to see it wasn't that succesful or have that great of a library.

cvxfreak

TekunoRobby said:
Weren't they planning on releasing it here but decided not to at the last minute? Maybe I thinking of something else entirely.

It might've been the Korean GamePark32...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
wonderswan.jpg

I love this little bitch.
Its not the best, and I can only play it in high light areas, but its cheap fun.
Edit: Yeah its that cheap that I own both a SwanCrystal (out of box) and the SwanColor in the FFII box.

bjork

What the hell, WSs start at $68 on NCS. Does anyone sell them online for the prices you guys got them at?

ferricide

TekunoRobby said:
mattel interactive had some sort of partnership with bandai and was working on preliminary plans, but MI disappeared quickly (bernie stolar!!!)

as for getting them cheap: you've gotta go to japan, really. i think they're decent on ebay right now, though. there's zero demand in asia and not much more in the US, so the prices are closer to street prices than collector prices.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
bjork said:
What the hell, WSs start at $68 on NCS. Does anyone sell them online for the prices you guys got them at?

$$
Haha! I guess don't buy them online.
I got the FFII set for 2000 yen (about $20). And I saw quite a few other ones for a lot less.
I bought the WSSC years ago though, so I paid a bit more for it and FF4 due to shipping and whatnot. I think I got Hataraku Chocobo at the same time....I think it totaled about $100 with shipping from Japan, but this was freaking more than 2 years ago.

cvxfreak

bjork said:

Your best bet is Akihabara itself, but unfortunately that's a bit far to reach.

cvxfreak

Shouta

It actually feels fairly comfortable. My only major complaint is the sound and the dark screen. Battery life rocks.

I got a Swan Crystal, FFIV, and a HxH game for 30 bucks in Aki. Also picked up the Arc game on the Swan Crystal. That one was hard to find o_O.

cvxfreak

Semjaza Azazel said:
How does that thing feel anyway? It always looks insanely cumbersome in photographs.

If you have big hands, the small buttons and small shape of the handheld will bother you. For big hands, it's even worse than the SP if you ask me.

Top Bottom