• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Workmanship in a $1.8M house.

TFW you're a millionaire and your stove wobbles

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is my favourite part of Selling Sunset. Houses costing tens of millions built like absolute shit. Huge skirting boards, no shadow gaps, non-integrated fridges, cheapest possible plug sockets and light switches, three generations old Crestrons, shit flat screen tvs at horrible heights. Having developed three houses myself it’s incredible to witness.

Quasicat

I built our house 2006 and interviewed several general contractors. The one I picked was a dick. He had very little people skills and didn’t like dealing with anyone…yet he came highly recommended from everyone that hired him. Here we are almost 20 years later and we have had very little issues. The man knew what he was doing and got results from his subcontractors.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
People bad at their jobs, you just can’t see it as easily in other professions.

j0hnnix

As someone who has flipped many properties this is what happens when you hire cheap contractors

Without going down this rabbit hole would love to know what was paid for the property, what kind of shape it was in and how much the reno cost
This right here. My fiances father is a contractor for many years and that's the first thing he says. He is constantly called to fix 100s of issues(punch outs)from other contractors even from his own company, ticks him off the amount of shortcuts that are taken.. at least he gets paid well for others shit work.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This right here. My fiances father is a contractor for many years and that's the first thing he says. He is constantly called to fix 100s of issues(punch outs)from other contractors even from his own company, ticks him off the amount of shortcuts that are taken.. at least he gets paid well for others shit work.
Sadly I too learned this the hard way not mainly use the same group for most of my places in and around the Miami area

TransTrender

Gold Member
I had my house newly built in 2014 and another friend had their custom home finished around 2017. However, since then, every new build I've been into has absolutely terrible build quality. It doesn't matter if it's a low-level townhome or a 1.5 million standalone house, they have the same build quality with the same shitty materials.
It's shocking because the materials in my house make it look palatial compared to something new that cost three times as much.

Last edited:

Divus

I have a tub similar to the one in the video. Its terrible. Like in guy in the video water comes up to near the top of my legs, and it's hard to climb out of. My wife will very rare use it, but to me it's just bathroom art.

Also water just tends to splash out of it when you try and fill it up. Previous owners spent $15K on it.

JBat

We bought our home in 2010 it was built in the 60's. Based on records I think there were 2 maybe even 1 previous owners of the property. There are things that annoy me about it. the plumbing needs a complete overhaul and the electrical needs another upgrade but damn if it isn't built solid. Those issues are just due to technology and standards advancing.We have plans to build a forever home eventually but it's going to be hard to achieve the craftsmanship of our 60 year old house.

I do enjoy this guy's channel. Makes you wonder if anybody knows what their doing

bitbydeath

Can’t they get them back out to repair free of charge? Or is that not a thing in the US?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

As someone who has flipped many properties this is what happens when you hire cheap contractors

Without going down this rabbit hole would love to know what was paid for the property, what kind of shape it was in and how much the reno cost
As someone who oversaw renovating our whole apartment - 100% this. I had a plumber putting the water exit pipe incorrectly, another one wanted to attach the water curtain in a way as it would have blocked it from being folded (had to explain to him how to calculate the arc).

On the other hand a guy that assembled our very expensive kitchen furniture was insane - guy was getting it right down to a single millimeter.

nush

When I renovated my 1st apartment I got the contractor to take me to properties he had already renovated (If the current owners were willing) so I could see the quality of his work. He was proud to show me and speaking with the owners they were very happy.
I also visited the site as often as I could to check progress and answer any questions and give feedback.
Contractor did a fantastic job and automatically was chosen to renovate my 2nd apartment.

KrakenIPA

As someone who oversaw renovating our whole apartment - 100% this. I had a plumber putting the water exit pipe incorrectly, another one wanted to attach the water curtain in a way as it would have blocked it from being folded (had to explain to him how to calculate the arc).

On the other hand a guy that assembled our very expensive kitchen furniture was insane - guy was getting it right down to a single millimeter.
Kitchen furniture assembly guy sounds great i would love that as my job title

Outlier

This thread makes me angry. People asking high dollar for low quality. Almost as bad as obligating high quality for low dollar.

MrMephistoX

The builder pocketed $1.4 million of it and hired $10 illegals. It will sell to a product manager that makes $250k/year whose entire days consists of 30 minute meetings about sending emails and eating artisanal concessions in the meditation corner.

You’re not wrong my uncle owns a contracting business and he has a guy who’s sole job is to drive out to Home Depot and other gathering spots to hire illegal immigrants at way below market rates which do not get passed along to his clients. TBH that issue is never getting solved unless business owners like my uncle start going to jail and opportunities to work illegally dry up.

Last edited:
You’re not wrong my uncle owns a contracting business and he has a guy who’s sole job is to drive out to Home Depot and other gathering spots to hire illegal immigrants at way below market rates which do not get passed along to his clients. TBH that issue is never getting solved unless business owners like my uncle start going to jail and opportunities to work illegally dry up.
This is how the Mexicans see ypur uncle

Alebrije

This is how the Mexicans see ypur uncle

It depends of the work, the video shows stuff that is more related to design on specific áreas.

Ilegal inmigrants are more used to builth walls, concrete bases, floors , roofs , "raw" work .Also most of them do a good job.

I've done some new residential work as an electrician and got out as soon as something better came along. It's all about speed and moving on to the next house as soon as possible. In a house I was working on some crew had completely fucked up a doorframe in a basement and apparently to fix it would have involved ripping the whole thing out and doing it over. Crew went and asked the site superintendent what he wanted to do, and his response was "if the homeowners complain we'll fix it, otherwise leave it for now."

On another property I pointed out to someone that a bad pipe job was likely to lead to some flooding a few years down the road. He said "We only have to fix stuff if it breaks within the first year. Not my problem."

There are multiple people to blame for this. Tradesmen are under pressure to get jobs done as quickly as possible, inspectors aren't as diligent as they should be, homeowners are signing off on things prematurely, general contractors are looking to save money everywhere they can, etc.

There's also a bit of a hierarchy to the work you do and for my field new residential is at the bottom of the pack. It's the lowest paid, it's the most monotonous work, tough hours, unreliable scheduling, usually some long drives and more. Lots of smaller contractors are tax cheats, screwing over their own guys out of hours, drivetime, expecting guys to buy expensive tools and more. I don't blame them entirely, in some ways it's the only way to remain competitive with the larger companies, the dudes hiring illegals who can afford to outbid them since they pay guys pennies on the dollar. When covid happened, larger companies were throwing stacks of cash at supply houses to ensure they were getting taken care of at the expense of smaller crews losing out on material to finish jobs. If you're a good all-around guy and you do things fairly you get eaten up for it and spit back out.

I don't know how to fix it. A lot of trade industries are completely fucked and it's the ones at the bottom that end up carrying the heaviest burden for it.

gatti-man

This thread makes me angry. People asking high dollar for low quality. Almost as bad as obligating high quality for low dollar.
Any home you buy is a piece of junk unless you got it inspected before drywall and after. Independently. Even then you’ll find issues but it is unreal the amount of issues inspectors find. Like 60+ in the home I built in 2020 that would now sell for a million.

Home inspectors that aren’t independent ARE A JOKE. City inspectors govt inspectors company inspectors none of them will catch anything. I personally caught more than any of those clowns.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

This is why I prefer renting. Sure, might be more practical to buy a place if all goes well, but my nerves and frustration are worth more than money if I have to stress over shit breaking constantly and needing to find trustworthy humans to fix it.

Had a colleague who wanted to add a second floor to his house. Contractor ended up being a piece of shit and the guy basically needed to move in with in laws for 2 years while having a nasty legal battle and needing to take out another loan to fix additional stuff on the house. Guy probably shaved years off his life with the amount of stress he was under.

When we built our current house misses and I were on-site near daily. Leave nothing to chance. She caught one particular structural issue at our main entrance I didn't even see and we got it corrected during the right phase of the build, saved everyone (builder included) a massive headache and cost. Win. Win.

Don't fuck around with your life investments.

Trogdor1123

yeah, when I used to live in the US I didn't get it. They are placing TVs above the fireplace. Or even when there's no fireplace. bye neck.
I have one mounted like that too and it’s not for sitting by it and watching, it’s for use when people are in the kitchen and doing stuff at standing height. That’s the only reason I can see doing one like that.

DeVeAn

I bought New build Home in 2022, LOTS of minor issues Luckily nothing major. Yeah DR Horton sucks and feels like all the neighbors just accept low quality work. I'll share and issue and I get dogpiled. What happened to quality work man?

Cyberpunkd

When we built our current house misses and I were on-site near daily.
This was my case. We rented another apartment and I was on site at 8am every day before going to work. Every single day. My mother took 5 years to construct her house because she was looking after every tiny detail but that house is perfect 15 years on.

Top Bottom