• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
Nooo. Same thing will happen with both Razorfen dungeons too now. And Shadowfang Keep. Because no Alliance goes near Silverpine at early 20s.
I wouldn't go that far.

South Barrens has a nice pvp battle scar and Alliance base.

JesseZao

Narag said:
If you're queueing directly for it, the eligible player pool will be diminished as one has to physically enter WC to be able to access it via the DF, I think.

Don't think that's how live is at the moment. I queued for wrath dungeons specifically because I was tired of getting UK and I was able to get in groups for them before I discovered any of them.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
JesseZao said:
Don't think that's how live is at the moment. I queued for wrath dungeons specifically because I was tired of getting UK and I was able to get in groups for them before I discovered any of them.
I couldn't queue for WC without discovering yesterday, but I could queue for Deadmines.

Go figure...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lolligag said:
If you're Alliance, good luck ever getting a group for that place again.

You can't queue for that place unless you discover it now. -_-
It won't be that bad, honestly. You guys are being dramatic. You SHOULD have to discover it, it makes no sense otherwise. As long as the game actually provides you with some kind of direction as to where to find it, it's not going to be a super big deal, really.

Besides, if it doesn't work with randoms, seems like a good way to avoid getting certain shitty dungeons.

Angry Grimace said:
It won't be that bad, honestly. You guys are being dramatic. You SHOULD have to discover it, it makes no sense otherwise. As long as the game actually provides you with some kind of direction as to where to find it, it's not going to be a super big deal, really.

Besides, if it doesn't work with randoms, seems like a good way to avoid getting certain shitty dungeons.

I don't understand people complaining about it either; most fun I had with the game was actually exploring and finding these places (i.e. the paladin hammer quest you get @ around lvl 20, which I did in classic beta, the trek from Ironforge to Shadowfang keep, completely on foot, was wonderful.)

Lolligag

Bisnic said:
Nooo. Same thing will happen with both Razorfen dungeons too now. And Shadowfang Keep. Because no Alliance goes near Silverpine at early 20s.
WC seems to be the only place that I have to discover first. Already finished through all the continent/expansions since the patch now.

Powdered Toastman said:
I don't understand people complaining about it either; most fun I had with the game was actually exploring and finding these places (i.e. the paladin hammer quest you get @ around lvl 20, which I did in classic beta, the trek from Ironforge to Shadowfang keep, completely on foot, was wonderful.)
Herp derp, some people make more than one character.

Sure, exploring was exciting when you first started the game, but after 20 or so play throughs? Heh.

Anyway, I was never complaining about it. I simply frowned that I will be unable to do it again as Alliance. Cataclysm might change this since Alliance can quest in Barrens. But at this moment, I will not be wasting my time to run there without a mount so I can queue for that place once before I'm too high for it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
did some testing. the level 1 botters are getting about 10 hk's a minute. 1 point every kill.

they can get 90 honor, what random BG's award, in 9 minutes.

seeing a 20 minute queue time for random bg's too.

To go even further... They can make 1,000g in 3 hours based on selling gems 100g a pop.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Some people noticed that the digital download of Cataclysm doesn't include the pre-rendered cinematics. Contradicting blue posts say that they never will be, or that they will be in the near future.

MMO-Champion said:
Digital Download Rumors

I got a crazy amount of mails from players concerned about the digital download version of Cataclysm. Someone pointed out that a post on the customer support forum mentions that pre-rendered cinematic are not part of the digital download anymore.

I usually do not comment that kind of stuff, but I would like to point out that people are going crazy over a post made 2 weeks before the sale of the Cataclysm digital download started and things are very different in this case. There aren't any official confirmations that the cinematics will not be part of the Cataclysm digital download and I strongly suggest that you all wait for a blue reply, I really don't see Blizzard slapping a huge % of their playerbase in the face by not including cinematics in the Cataclysm client.

This is most likely just a bug and we will probably have an official post about that very soon.

I dont think they'd screw people over like that either, but I'm very bummed if they will.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
markot said:
Doubt its true, they use torrents to distribute it so its not like they have to deal with huge bandwidth costs.

Blue post said:
This change comes to help decrease the overall size/download requirement of the game and the cinematics can always be view at the Blizzard Entertainment YouTube page.

Other one said that "after some investigation this is a known issue and will be fixed in the near future" or whatever.

-NeoTB1-

Interfectum said:
hallow's end is now over.... no horse mount. :(

i killed the dude every day with four level 80 characters and no drop. /wrists

Yeah, it's weird. One of my guildmates had no mount drops, despite running it on 5 level 80 toons every day. Yet, this other guy with only 1 level 80 gets the mount the first day. :eek:

I was initially pissed to get the mount on my alt DK, but honestly, I'm just happy to have got one.

Dunlop

-NeoTB1- said:
Yeah, it's weird. One of my guildmates had no mount drops, despite running it on 5 level 80 toons every day. Yet, this other guy with only 1 level 80 gets the mount the first day. :eek:

I was initially pissed to get the mount on my alt DK, but honestly, I'm just happy to have got one.

Everyone I know (including myself) got the mount on an alt, no mains

mclem

Rapstah said:
I was comparing max HP and damage dealt of Naxx 10 normal mobs compared to Halls of Reflection HC gauntlet mobs, and it struck me: if you had five really well-geared players over-using crowd control, would Naxx be five-mannable? Obviously not counting boss mechanics that require more than five.

Trash definitely would be, and I'm pretty sure that's Naxx-25, too, not just 10. As you say, bosses would be interesting. I tanked one side of Gothik The Harvester with only a lightwell keeping me up back when it was relevant content, so that's probably workable.

I did think about this a while back for some other fights. Thaddeus himself would probably be impossible. I could see Four Horsemen working with some clever positioning (bring the mobile mobs up to the static ones)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dunlop said:

Same thing for me, the mount drop 3 times on barely played alts, and TWICE on the same alt. So in the end, only 2 of my alts got it. And worst, one of them is a tauren druid, so not only do horse mounts look stupid with them, but flight form is always better than a flying mount.

TomServo

Got my DK tank to 80 this morning in UP. With defense cap no longer a concern, what's my next step? Spamming the regular versions of ToC / FoS / PoS / HoR for iLvl 200-219 gear? Or should I go with the old heroics? Any craftables that won't be quickly replaced?

Currently in iLvl 175-187 blues from quest rewards and regular dungeons.

Sober said:
Also, I wish 4.0.3 was out already. My guild has a DK tank I tank with but I thought his threat was garbage, but goddamn, the new rune system seems so frustrating when I tried it. And the fact they can't RS on demand in BP yet is so annoying.

The extremely frustrating thing about no RS on demand is that it makes it harder to pull threat back once you've lost it. Since the mob is hitting someone else, you're not dodging / parrying to trigger it, so if you're in that shitty place where your runes are on CD you're pretty much hosed.

Bisnic

TomServo said:
Got my DK tank to 80 this morning in UP. With defense cap no longer a concern, what's my next step? Spamming the regular versions of ToC / FoS / PoS / HoR for iLvl 200-219 gear? Or should I go with the old heroics? Any craftables that won't be quickly replaced?

Currently in iLvl 175-187 blues from quest rewards and regular dungeons.

The extremely frustrating thing about no RS on demand is that it makes it harder to pull threat back once you've lost it. Since the mob is hitting someone else, you're not dodging / parrying to trigger it, so if you're in that shitty place where your runes are on CD you're pretty much hosed.

If you're going to tank, i suggest you go with regular dungeons rather than heroics. Not only do bosses drop better gear than most heroics, but there is always less gearscore elitist jerks who will laugh at your health and lack of threat against their 8k DPS.

You'll get Justice Points at a slower rate than random heroics, but at this point in the expansion, its not like it matters much.

Dunlop said:

I only did Headless Horseman on my main and got the horse after about 4-5 tries. Too be honest, it's not as cool as it was in years past since everyone and their mom has a HH mount now. I'm even getting bored of my Raven Lord mount because of all the people I see idling in Orgrimmar on them. Need to get myself a ZG tiger so I can be a unique butterfly again!

joelseph

I recently re downloaded the entire game digitally for a reinstall. Now whenever a cinematic is triggered I get a pop-up stating Cinematic Movie is missing. I wouldn't be surprised if digital downloads of Cata will not include cinematic moives. =/

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
joelseph said:
I recently re downloaded the entire game digitally for a reinstall. Now whenever a cinematic is triggered I get a pop-up stating Cinematic Movie is missing. I wouldn't be surprised if digital downloads of Cata will not include cinematic moives. =/

If I knew that I wouldn't have bought the digital version of Cata :( Damnit.

I wonder if there's a way to obtain the missing files? Without buying an another copy of the game, that is.

Osaka said:
If I knew that I wouldn't have bought the digital version of Cata :( Damnit.

I wonder if there's a way to obtain the missing files? Without buying an another copy of the game, that is.

What's the big deal? There are 4 cinematics and all you have to do is spend 5 seconds on Youtube to see them.

yacobod

Banned
ya i got the mount on my dk and hunter, never did drop for my warrior, i think i did the HH every day except one day where i didnt even feel like logging in for 5 minutes

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
funkmastergeneral said:
What's the big deal? There are 4 cinematics and all you have to do is spend 5 seconds on Youtube to see them.

The big deal is that I'm paying more money (almost 10 euros) than what I would've paid for the boxed version, and apparently the only good thing about that is getting it ready for launch-night, and I'm actually getting less content for more money spent.

I guess I'll do the same as joelseph and just obtain the whole client somewhere.

TomServo

Osaka said:
The big deal is that I'm paying more money (almost 10 euros) than what I would've paid for the boxed version, and apparently the only good thing about that is getting it ready for launch-night, and I'm actually getting less content for more money spent.

Not to rain on your parade more, but anyone can "get ready" for launch night. There's a setting in the config.WTF file that flags the install for Wrath vs. Cata. Change the value from "LK" to "CT" and the next time you start the launcher you'll download the same Cata files the folks who paid for the digital download have.

Of course, that means those of us who want the boxed copy will still have to go out and buy it to get the code to unlock Cata, but there won't be any more downloading.

Of course, I'm going to be on a business trip when Cata goes live, so you've all got me beat.

EDIT: Granted, I hated the Wrath launch experience. I remember questing in BT and there were so many people that mobs had an instant respawn time. It wasn't until I got to Grizzly Hills that things returned to normal questing... the hardcore ahead of me, the more casual behind me.

DarkJC

funkmastergeneral said:

It's the little things. Blizzard is already using BitTorrent to use their customers' bandwidth and save costs. The cinematics are 50-70 MB a piece. I could see not including the intro cinematics of the old games, but to not include the Cataclysm intro just feels like penny pinching, from a company that doesn't need to penny pinch. I have a feeling the Cataclysm intro will be included with the digital download anyway though.

Question to those who did the new digital install that doesn't include them: Does the download also exclude things like the Fall of the Lich King cinematic and the Wrathgate cinematic (both of which are in the "Cinematics" folder with the intros)?

DarkJC said:
It's the little things. Blizzard is already using BitTorrent to use their customers' bandwidth and save costs. The cinematics are 50-70 MB a piece. I could see not including the intro cinematics of the old games, but to not include the Cataclysm intro just feels like penny pinching, from a company that doesn't need to penny pinch. I have a feeling the Cataclysm intro will be included with the digital download anyway though.

Question to those who did the new digital install that doesn't include them: Does the download also exclude things like the Fall of the Lich King cinematic and the Wrathgate cinematic (both of which are in the "Cinematics" folder with the intros)?

Well, we could always just blame Kotick.

joelseph

I never completed the Dragonflight quest line and never saw the cool cinematic. I recently went back and completed it and instead of being rewarded with one of the only ingame cinematics I got the popup warning because I digitally downloaded. It wasn't a huge deal but it doesn't sit right.

vilmer_

Interfectum said:
hallow's end is now over.... no horse mount. :(

i killed the dude every day with four level 80 characters and no drop. /wrists

I did it everyday with three 80's :( Disappointed am I. Curse you Horseman!!

DarkJC

joelseph said:
I never completed the Dragonflight quest line and never saw the cool cinematic. I recently went back and completed it and instead of being rewarded with one of the only ingame cinematics I got the popup warning because I digitally downloaded. It wasn't a huge deal but it doesn't sit right.

See, I was under the impression this only applied to the intros. Watching the intro cinematics on youtube is one thing, you'll only watch them once or twice anyway, and they're not 'part of the game' so to speak. Getting a popup after completing a quest line to go watch the epic ending cinematic on youtube ruins the gameplay experience. Regretting my decision to grab the digital cata preorder if this remains the norm.

DarkJC said:
See, I was under the impression this only applied to the intros. Watching the intro cinematics on youtube is one thing, you'll only watch them once or twice anyway, and they're not 'part of the game' so to speak. Getting a popup after completing a quest line to go watch the epic ending cinematic on youtube ruins the gameplay experience. Regretting my decision to grab the digital cata preorder if this remains the norm.

I agree. If you put down the $39.99 for the digital download you should be able to download everything that comes with the expansion including the cinematics. If their reasoning is that it'll make the download longer or ISP bandwith caps then add in a check box that people can tick if they want to download those cinematics as well. I mean it's the same price as the boxed copy, why would you make it look like the inferior version next to the retail copy?

The goblin cinematic is already in the beta and it's a streaming client too. What made them change their mind?

EDIT: Also no horseman mount for me this year either. It's funny seeing tons of horseman mounts during Hallow's End but during Brewfest there's barely any. Everyone got one instead of me. :lol

Aesthet1c

DarkJC said:

That's exactly how I feel. I wasn't going to be too worried if it was just the intro cinematics. But not being able to see any of the other stuff is pretty game breaking to me. I can't imagine that this is isn't going to be fixed. However, if it doesn't, I won't be buying digital.

Aesthet1c said:
That's exactly how I feel. I wasn't going to be too worried if it was just the intro cinematics. But not being able to see any of the other stuff is pretty game breaking to me. I can't imagine that this is isn't going to be fixed. However, if it doesn't, I won't be buying digital.

How many in game cinematic even exist? Wrath Gate, Lich king, and ... ? I don't get how this is game breaking at all. Cheap yes, but game breaking? Chill out.

mclem

HarryDemeanor said:
I agree. If you put down the $39.99 for the digital download you should be able to download everything that comes with the expansion including the cinematics. If their reasoning is that it'll make the download longer or ISP bandwith caps then add in a check box that people can tick if they want to download those cinematics as well. I mean it's the same price as the boxed copy, why would you make it look like the inferior version next to the retail copy?

The goblin cinematic is already in the beta and it's a streaming client too. What made them change their mind?

I wonder if the plan is to get the critical data out to people in time for the launch, then slowly feed the missing content after the initial rush is out of the way?

Heck, maybe that's what the mysterious "Downloading non-critical files" thing is, even when everything else suggests that the download is complete.

Evlar

Banned
I understand there are at least a few cinematics associated with the Goblin and Worgen starting zones. I don't believe Blizzard would leave those out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
mclem said:
I wonder if the plan is to get the critical data out to people in time for the launch, then slowly feed the missing content after the initial rush is out of the way?

Heck, maybe that's what the mysterious "Downloading non-critical files" thing is, even when everything else suggests that the download is complete.
"Non-critical files" my ass. My computer just crashes every time it tries to run that.

I think a better term would be immersion breaking. Or just plain inconvenient depending on how you look at it.

When I did the Wrathgate quest line, I had no idea it was coming. All of a sudden, I'm watching this awesome cutscene with all this awesome shit happening. Then I come back to the ground burning and Alexstrasza standing at the gate's steps like a boss.

If that experience were replaced with "Cinematic Missing" or whatever it says, the impact of it happening right then and there would have been completely lost. The zone would change and I'd be asking myself why the ground was on fire and why Alexstrasza was there in dragon form. It's about a cohesive experience more than anything else.

Angry Grimace

The Pre-Cataclsym event has apparently started. People on SA reporting some quests are even coming up.

notworksafe

Seems even Blizzard doesn't know what's up.

US Blue:
Fair day all,

Alright, so we've completed the investigation and it appears that from this point forward, the digital download will no longer include the game Pre-rendered Cinematics/Cutscenes as part of the download. As such the Wrath loading cinematic, Wrathgate, etc... will no longer be installed with the game when using the digital streaming download. This may change in the future(no promises, heh) however for right now they are not part of the digital download.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27189094900&sid=1&pageNo=1#19

EU Blue:
Hi,

After some investigation this is a known issue that will be fixed in a future patch.
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=15042105895&sid=1&pageNo=2#23

My guess is that the EU guy is right. It'd be silly not to include cinematics in the download. They only add up to like 1GB max total, I'm sure.

Bisnic

Blizzard should put the CG of Cataclysm for everyone when they log the first time when 4.0.3 hits. At least it would make a little more sense than logging off at Auberdine the last day of 4.0.1, and logging on the next day with the town completely destroyed with no idea how it happened. Adding the cinematic would be a nice touch if destroying the world live ingame is too much to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom