• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flib

Alex said:
Wrath healing is no real thing, it's edgy and pretty chaotic but it's simple and with little thought involved. The new healing model is in, but the scaling that fuels it is not, so if anything it's easier than ever on live servers.

You should save that respect for the ones that remain in Cataclysm, since healing there can often times make BC look like a stroll. It will be interesting to watch all of the healer rerolls that popped up drop like flies. When people hit that wall that starts OOMing them, it's going to get whiny.

They still have a lot of healing dials and knobs to turn in 5 weeks though either way. My predictions:

-Revitalize redesigned
-Tranquility heavily nerfed
-Effloresce nerfed
-Holy Radiance heavily nerfed
-Large retuning of Priest numbers, especially things like CoH and PW:Barrier
-Resto Shaman given a quick tank-defense cooldown
-Healing Rains altered somehow.

If anything priests and shamans should be brought more in line with druids than anything else.

Sober

HarryDemeanor said:
As long as you took part in destroying it you received credit for it.
You can be in the area when it's destroyed if there's a ton of people without doing anything. I AFK'd for that achievement just by hovering in the air where a ton of people were gathered waiting for it, then alt-tabbed out.

Alex

Flib said:
If anything priests and shamans should be brought more in line with druids than anything else.

Priest and Shaman will get tweaks, probably moreso for Priest as it genuinely lacks some cohesion, but Paladin and Druid have to come down.

Holy Radiance is like the most overpowered ability to ever be placed into the game and Revitalize kinda destroys the entire healing model they're trying to set up, it'll probably be changed to a Spirit hike or something.

I really think Tranquility will go down too, I mean Divine Hymn is a good panic button even on the somewhat lacking Priests and Tranquility is 400% better than it.

But for less shock and horror bits, like Wild Growth kicking Circle of Healing in the head, they'll probably just bring up Priests for that, etc.

It's not too much to worry about, probably. This exact same stuff happened in WOTLK's late beta. Any healer who participated in that knows how wonky that was until some final tweaks went in.

Rokam

So apparently if you step in Eck's water in Gundrak you instantly get dc'd and can't log back on until you're kicked from the group. Watch out!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
markot said:
Also that Priest shiney floor aoe heal now has a 10 sec cd >.> Unless it was changed in beta.
Sanctuary always had a 10 second CD; it has a 40 second CD on Beta.

Holy Priest sucks now. All you do is spam heal and PoM; everything else makes you go OOM instantly.

Alex said:
Priest and Shaman will get tweaks, probably moreso for Priest as it genuinely lacks some cohesion, but Paladin and Druid have to come down.

Holy Radiance is like the most overpowered ability to ever be placed into the game and Revitalize kinda destroys the entire healing model they're trying to set up, it'll probably be changed to a Spirit hike or something.

I really think Tranquility will go down too, I mean Divine Hymn is a good panic button even on the somewhat lacking Priests and Tranquility is 400% better than it.

But for less shock and horror bits, like Wild Growth kicking Circle of Healing in the head, they'll probably just bring up Priests for that, etc.

It's not too much to worry about, probably. This exact same stuff happened in WOTLK's late beta. Any healer who participated in that knows how wonky that was until some final tweaks went in.
Holy Radiance only does like 70% of Paladin healing. It's not that bad.

(If you are actually wondering why Paladins seem to suck at 80: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulbxTAIM38c)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Rokam said:
On another note, man LFD sure is fun. Got a H. CoS group, DK tank dual-wielding in half dps gear (unenchanted ungemmed). So I notice he's not picking shit up besides one mob so I start using Holy Wrath to stun the shit to give time to dps it quickly. Healer yells at me about half way through the first part for not letting tank get aggro. I send him a tell and to watch what happens next pull when I don't. Sure enough I don't do anything and they all converge on the healer, BoP him with about 1k health left. And I just ret tanked the rest of the instance. I really wish this game had a better tutorial system.
The problem is a lot of players seemingly want things put to them on a platter and they want that knowledge right now. The amount of people who were literally freaking out when the talent system was all redone made me realize that most of WoW's population needs to be told what to do. I can understand if people need guidance of some sort to understand how best to go about their class, but a little research into it from the usual places will cure most of their questions.

Unfortunately you'll always get bad tanks, bad DPS, and bad healers simply because they don't fully understand the mechanics involved in the battle system. Nothing can be done about it other than a reassuring prep talk in /party and hopefully you don't get lambasted for telling someone what to do. The random groups I always loved healing were, funnily enough, the new tanks who came out and stated before the first pull that it was their first time or that they still needed better tanking gear - "don't worry mate, you're in safe healer hands so have fun" was the usual reply.

mclem

speedpop said:
Nice. Screw waiting around Northrend shit.

Top tip: Outland. Fewer people farming it, but you can still zip around on flying mounts.

Of course, it doesn't make much *sense* for the elemental rifts to be there, but we'll just paper over that.

mclem

davepoobond said:
and it doesnt make sense that Ulduar is just water behind the gate on the world map.

Actually, if you think about it, that's retroactively explained thanks to Uldum. No idea if it's intentional!

Dina

I'll do the elementals later. Still sucks that they despawn on a 10 minute timer, then you have to wait for 50 minutes.

theultimo

Dina said:
I'll do the elementals later. Still sucks that they despawn on a 10 minute timer, then you have to wait for 50 minutes.
Just had one despawn in FRONT of me :\

Anyway, wheres the Heart elemental?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
mclem said:
Top tip: Outland. Fewer people farming it, but you can still zip around on flying mounts.

Of course, it doesn't make much *sense* for the elemental rifts to be there, but we'll just paper over that.
I was thinking that for my Druid, but for my Shaman I just stood near the first farm in WPL, killed them, then flew to TM and killed more. Hearthed to TB, flew to Thousand Needles and got them, then just waited for the last one near the Great Lift. Only took me 10 mins in between log outs.

Rapstah

Rokam said:
So apparently if you step in Eck's water in Gundrak you instantly get dc'd and can't log back on until you're kicked from the group. Watch out!
That's been going on since the first day of 4.01, I know for a fact we had to two-man the last boss because no one else could log on.

Retro

Angry Grimace said:
The problem is that one of them would just do the best DPS and no one would ever use the other ones and it would just be annoying to have to get more.

That's a result of both Blizzard's inability to think beyond WoW as a numbers game and the community they've fostered's inability to consider anything other than topping arbitrary meters with those numbers.

If all of the ammo types had the same DPS (or DPS wasn't tied to ammo type at all) but granted different utility, you might get somewhere... for a few weeks until some fucktwat calculates the damage per second increase of some minor debuff or effect and suddenly everyone starts using that ammo universally.

Because all that matters is the numbers, and getting a bigger hammer is always better than getting a new tool when numbers are the focus of your game.

mclem said:

I know it's LOLore and all, but... it's a world event. Not a "Stay where you are, it'll come to you" event. Did they really sit down and plan this thing out and have nobody raise a hand and say "Um... why would there be a Cataclysm in Outland?" I guess they were all too busy counting money :lol.

Retro

LaserBuddha said:
So Deepholm is a big undeground cave...but is also an elemental plane?

Fucking Azeroth, how does it work?

That's pretty much the gist of it, yeah. An entire plane of existence is represented by a big cave. It probably won't have any of that invisible wall shit that Azjol Nerub had either, to at least try and convey the scope of what you're seeing... it'll just be a big ass cave.

It takes 14 minutes to cross the Barrens from North to South on foot. It takes longer to walk to 7/11, so... yeah. I'm not a huge fan of ultra-realism in games (because reality by definition isn't fun), so I don't really want each zone to be hours wide... but still, that's ridiculously small.

Then again, if I were running WoW, this third expansion would finally have us in Northrend (having skipped Outland entirely to get there).

Retro said:
That's pretty much the gist of it, yeah. An entire plane of existence is represented by a big cave. It probably won't have any of that invisible wall shit that Azjol Nerub had either, to at least try and convey the scope of what you're seeing... it'll just be a big ass cave.

It takes 14 minutes to cross the Barrens from North to South on foot. It takes longer to walk to 7/11, so... yeah. I'm not a huge fan of ultra-realism in games (because reality by definition isn't fun), so I don't really want each zone to be hours wide... but still, that's ridiculously small.

Then again, if I were running WoW, this third expansion would finally have us in Northrend (having skipped Outland entirely to get there).

I don't think you understand, It's not the size of the zone that's the problem. This elemental plane of earth isn't "represented by" a big cave, it is a big cave, physically located underground somewhere. That's what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. The entire plane of existence for a primary element is a specific place in Azeroth.

Retro

LaserBuddha said:
I don't think you understand, It's not the size of the zone that's the problem. This elemental plane of earth isn't "represented by" a big cave, it is a big cave, physically located underground somewhere. That's what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. The entire plan of existence for a primary element is a specific place in Azeroth.

Oh. I think they said at Blizzcon that the Cataclysm was so powerful it ruptured the barriers between the planes and brought them close enough to Azeroth to 'intrude' upon it.

Malechai

funkmastergeneral said:
Someone told me there are supposedly elemental rifts throughout the world? Anyone see these yet?

yea they're trickling in right now since the event is in phase 1 (out of 4 i believe?). Right now the rifts spawn every hour-ish and last either 15 mins or until 30ish elementals are killed, whichever is first.

go to wowhead and read comments for "Tripping the Rift" achievement to find locations or front page of mmo-champion.com

Flib

LaserBuddha said:
I don't think you understand, It's not the size of the zone that's the problem. This elemental plane of earth isn't "represented by" a big cave, it is a big cave, physically located underground somewhere. That's what I'm having trouble wrapping my head around. The entire plane of existence for a primary element is a specific place in Azeroth.

The elemental plane is a sphere that's roughly the same size as azeroth, basically a sort of inverted planet with different layers. When the shattering occurs, the barriers that keep the plane seperate from Azeroth are shattered, and planes start connecting/manifesting in where they correspond in Azeroth.

So the shattering of the bottom of the sea opens a portal to the Abyssal Maw, the Maelstrom becomes a portal into Deepholm, Skywall starts manifesting above Uldum. The Firelands are a bit different, because the Twilight's Hammer actually sets up portals to the Firelands and somehow summons Ragnaros...but that's dealt with while questing there.

This is discussed more in Cataclysm when you're actually in the zones. For instance, in Deepholm, there is a massive tower in the center called the World Pillar, where the Temple of Earth is. It's shattered by Deathwing when he leaves, Thrall and the Earthen Ring are there to keep it steady for long enough to restore it. Otherwise, it makes Deepholm structurally unstable, and it will collapse into Azeroth (i.e. the planes will merge and mess the planet up really badly).

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
LaserBuddha said:

It's not a specific place in Azeroth. Elemental Plane is a separate dimension that consists of the 4 "prisons" made by the titans for all the elements; The Skywall (air), Deepholm (earth), The Abyssal Maw (water) and The Firelands (fire).

You go into the Elemental Plane through a rift that has opened in the Maelstrom. Deepholm happens to be right under that rift because of the World Pillar.

Deepholm just is some titan-made cave-area inside the Elemental Plane, the other dimension. Not on Azeroth.

I think.

a wizard did it

EDIT: Ok, Flib corrected me for some parts :lol

WoWpedia said:
After Deathwing breaks through the ceiling of Deepholm, the entire elemental plane is brought up (or down, in the case of Skywall), and can be reached through various means by the mortal races of Azeroth.

Flib

Also note that Deepholm is bigger than the zone itself. It's just the central area where Therazene's Throne and the World Pillar/Temple of Earth is. So the entire elemental plane is not just a sort of big cave.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Flib said:
Also note that Deepholm is bigger than the zone itself. It's just the central area where Therazene's Throne and the World Pillar/Temple of Earth is. So the entire elemental plane is not just a sort of big cave.

Yup, the Elemental Plane normally would consist of all the elemental areas.

Cool macro I found for rift hunting. Not tested by me yet.

/cleartarget
/tar surging e
/tar searing e
/tar rumbling e
/tar gusting e
/stopmacro [target=target, noexists]
/run PlaySound("RaidWarning")

Milpool

I decided to try out DX11, but when it's enabled I can see the seams in the world. Mainly in capital cities:

jyXBM.jpg

I'm back on DX9 for now, but has anyone else experienced this?

Milpool

The Lamonster said:
I decided not to fuck with it until the official implementation

I think that's probably what I'll do, I noticed a few other graphical glitches too. I was hoping it might enable player reflections as seen in earlier screenshots.

Haven't really kept up on the elemental things, so I have a quick question. I decided to play with my 48 shaman yesterday and was out killing ogres in tanaris when all of a sudden some water elementals popped up and started fighting the ogres. So I joined in the fight and started killing all of them. Eventually I looted a "magical device". It says I should take it to one of the NPCs in Orgrimmar. What is this thing? Do I get fat loot for it? Should I have gotten it on my 80 instead of a 48?

Aurarian

SnakeswithLasers said:
Haven't really kept up on the elemental things, so I have a quick question. I decided to play with my 48 shaman yesterday and was out killing ogres in tanaris when all of a sudden some water elementals popped up and started fighting the ogres. So I joined in the fight and started killing all of them. Eventually I looted a "magical device". It says I should take it to one of the NPCs in Orgrimmar. What is this thing? Do I get fat loot for it? Should I have gotten it on my 80 instead of a 48?

I'm not sure what you would get at lower levels besides experience and a little gold. If you were 80 then it would just be a daily quest for money.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
SnakeswithLasers said:

Elementals are popping up all over the world to fuck shit up. There's a doomsday cult thing going on in Orgrimmar.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Retro said:
That's a result of both Blizzard's inability to think beyond WoW as a numbers game and the community they've fostered's inability to consider anything other than topping arbitrary meters with those numbers.

If all of the ammo types had the same DPS (or DPS wasn't tied to ammo type at all) but granted different utility, you might get somewhere... for a few weeks until some fucktwat calculates the damage per second increase of some minor debuff or effect and suddenly everyone starts using that ammo universally.

Because all that matters is the numbers, and getting a bigger hammer is always better than getting a new tool when numbers are the focus of your game.

I know it's LOLore and all, but... it's a world event. Not a "Stay where you are, it'll come to you" event. Did they really sit down and plan this thing out and have nobody raise a hand and say "Um... why would there be a Cataclysm in Outland?" I guess they were all too busy counting money :lol.
At that point it's entirely cosmetic.

There's no lore related reason, it's because if you're level 65, there are no rifts you can kill to get the achievement.

Anybody else here play enhancement shaman?

I shelved this guy years ago because it was just so incredibly boring to level. Man, they really seemed to iron out a lot of the issues! Mainly, it was horrible due to low mana and just watching auto-attack. Now I'm having zero problems (at 48 with very basic equip, i.e. no heirlooms) and actually having fun pressing buttons. Drop totems, open with lightning bolt spam, lava lash when they get to me, stormstrike, earth shock, close to dead, pull next one. I can't wait to get maelstrom to add another proc!

I actually might stick with this character for a while. I want a high level healer and of the hybrid classes I've played I am actually liking enhancement more than the other healer's dps trees. Of course, this is just with a level's worth of killing, so maybe I'll get bored.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
At that point it's entirely cosmetic.

There's no lore related reason, it's because if you're level 65, there are no rifts you can kill to get the achievement.

Well, they could still go back to Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms for the achievement. It's not like you need to kill elementals your lvl for it.

mclem

I don't think the rifts are created and spawn the elementals, the impression I got from the buildup questline is that the rifts are created wherever a cultist hides one of those mysterious devices, and the elementals are stored within the device to guard it. Maybe I misinterpreted that.

If you do take it that way, then the rifts in Outland are simply explained by stating that 'they put some devices in Outland too'.

Bisnic said:
Well, they could still go back to Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms for the achievement. It's not like you need to kill elementals your lvl for it.
I think at this point it's more important to Blizzard for a week or two long event to just be experienced by everyone, even those who don't know about it, than to stick 100% to lore rules. So they're going to throw the rifts up everywhere so that most random players will see one and experience the content. Rather than having your casual players who are in Outland right now just completely miss the event because they aren't camping spawns.

Rapstah

mclem said:
I don't think the rifts are created and spawn the elementals, the impression I got from the buildup questline is that the rifts are created wherever a cultist hides one of those mysterious devices, and the elementals are stored within the device to guard it. Maybe I misinterpreted that.

If you do take it that way, then the rifts in Outland are simply explained by stating that 'they put some devices in Outland too'.
Yeah - I haven't killed any rifts for my level yet, but isn't the daily quest item one of those cultist machines?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Damn.

I've been trolling the 10-19 BG bracket. On A Warrior, I pretty much get the Wrecking Ball achievement over and over.

On a warlock, I stand up top and dot the flag carries. They Drop like flies.

This 15 priest.... boy was he pro. It took like 7 people to take him down when I was on the warlock. It was like a pally before the shield nerf.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
wow...

Rogues 1 shouted
Ok so.. last time i made a post about ice lance nerf i got baned for that, but this post not about that atm. hope this time i will not get baned again with reason spaming and trolling ^^. low lvl BGs are just dead, u gona meet there 7/10 rogues and they are 1 shoting everithing and enithing. 2.4k ambush without any enrage efects at lvl 36-39 ??? srsly ppl want to have fun on bgs, not to be farmed with 1 shout, plz think about it and stop killing low lvl bgs (btw i dont know why showing me here as lvl 33. i was 38 when got that 2.4k ambush)

P.S ppl who want to post (CATA WILL BALANCE IT !!!) plz dont post anything, its just anoyed. ty

notworksafe

Bisnic said:
But you need to kill elementals your level to get the daily quest.

LaneDS

Anyone have some links to popular hunter or rogue dps builds? Asking for a couple friends that just returned to the game.

Also, arcane is insane. In gear just from heroics and justice points I can do 13k dps on bosses by mashing one key... seems very silly. Fire is way more fun and seems to require a lot more and I can do about half as much dps. Oh, and do I want to pretty much forgo crit for haste as arcane? I only returned a few weeks back and am still pretty ignorant as how to properly gear the mage.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
LaneDS said:
Anyone have some links to popular hunter or rogue dps builds? Asking for a couple friends that just returned to the game.

2/31/3 MM DPS

I guess this is what I'd use for a hunter. MM seems to be the shit. The points that are in BM and survival can be switched around, but the 31 pts in MM is pretty much the default dps shit.

Survival and BM seem to work alright too but I dunno about the math behind those.

This is for lvl 80, mind.

Rapstah

Two-manned Flame Leviathan, was great fun. Will do every week from now with varying degrees of hard modes enabled.

9aqzbl.png

EDIT: Sorry for the odd resolution, cropped it the wrong way, will change/remove if anyone's bothered.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anybody else here play enhancement shaman?

I shelved this guy years ago because it was just so incredibly boring to level. Man, they really seemed to iron out a lot of the issues! Mainly, it was horrible due to low mana and just watching auto-attack. Now I'm having zero problems (at 48 with very basic equip, i.e. no heirlooms) and actually having fun pressing buttons. Drop totems, open with lightning bolt spam, lava lash when they get to me, stormstrike, earth shock, close to dead, pull next one. I can't wait to get maelstrom to add another proc!

I actually might stick with this character for a while. I want a high level healer and of the hybrid classes I've played I am actually liking enhancement more than the other healer's dps trees. Of course, this is just with a level's worth of killing, so maybe I'll get bored.

Leveling enhancement is fantastic. You can solo up to 5 man quests with combination of wolves/bloodlust/fire elemental totem. However, our position in raids hasn't been very strong all of WotLK.

McNei1y

If anyone is looking to reroll alliance and is considering Mannoroth, pst me on Carmac or Petewarrior! I have a few guys who are leveling with me. I started a warrior a few weeks ago and am in Hellfire. I am about to start a rogue and my friend is undecided. The more the merrier.

Alex

For a heads up, they just announced The Shattering patch would contain the readjustments to 1-79 leveling that got broke in 4.0.1. Seems like it'll dramatically reduce the potency of a lot of abilities in the early game. Sinister Strike now starts at 40% weapon damage, was an example given.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hey guys, first time WoW player really (played like 3 years ago up to level 15) just got my account un locked (hackers had taken over... amusingly now I have all the expansions :lol , thanks hackers)

I'm playing as the hunter class, and I've some how made my pet toolbar dissapear! How do I get it back?

also any first time player tips? I'm talking little things.
like that there is an autorun button, and usefull little things

Narag

Syth_Blade22 said:
Hey guys, first time WoW player really (played like 3 years ago up to level 15) just got my account un locked (hackers had taken over... amusingly now I have all the expansions :lol , thanks hackers)

I'm playing as the hunter class, and I've some how made my pet toolbar dissapear! How do I get it back?

also any first time player tips? I'm talking little things.
like that there is an autorun button, and usefull little things

Pet toobar disappearing is generally a ui error iirc. Restarting or even typing: /reloadui may recover it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Narag said:
Pet toobar disappearing is generally a ui error iirc. Restarting or even typing: /reloadui may recover it.

reloadui does nothing, /reload reloads however.. and theres still no toolbar.

It wouldn't bother me too much, as I'm not at the level where I'm multi tasking my pet and my own spells... but :lol :lol I had my pet set to aggressive before it dissapeared.. so lets just say Grack is getting me into lots of trouble

Narag

If you bring up the spellbook, there should be a pet tab you can click and you change it there, back to passive or defensive.

Reminds me when I was learning the class in TBC. I would have aggressive on without realizing, it'd take off after something and it felt like I was fighitng to get control of it. Thankfully parties actually bought the notion of "buggy pet AI"

Alex

My tip would have been to wait a few weeks for the remade 1-60 game that we'll likely get around Thanksgiving. :p Zones remastered, quests remade and modernized, dungeons remastered, beautiful new soundtrack, etc.

But the autorun key is defaulted to numlock. There's a dungeon finder now (default I key) when you're ready to hit those, you can level through PvP now too, though I DEF suggest you wait for the Shattering patch for that since 4.0.1's scaling changes borked a lot of 1-79 values.

They remade all the talent trees recently, you should be able to pick a proper leveling on on your own even as a novice, so that shouldn't be an issue. Remember to pick your glyphs as they become active, if you want to take some gathering trades to make some cash as you go, they now give EXP.

You're a Hunter, yeah? All your tracking functionality should be done through the mini-map tracker now, i think.

Mounts start at level 20 now, and are really cheap, like 3-4 gold for the first? 60% 20, 100% 40, flying 150% at 60, flying 280 at 70%, etc. To fly in the old world you'll need Cataclysm, since that's how they gate the new zones and raids.

There's a lot of tutorial stuff now as opposed to the nothing when the game launched, so a lot of the basics should just be taught to you by the game itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom