• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickD

Im so glad i got to level 58 this week so i could go explore outland. I Was getting bored with Azeroth.

Im finding the game to be a bit easy at the moment, I can fend off 5 or 6 similar or higher level mobs at the same time and im playing a RET Paladin. Im assuming this is going to change in the near future?

I managed to find WOTLK for £5 at Toys'R'Us the other day as well, so had a crack at a death knight, didn't particularly like the class so moved back to the Paladin as it seems to be a better character for solo play. I'll investigate that class a bit more when i've hit 80 for the first time.

The problem i've found with wow is the game always seems to have an expectation that you should know what you are doing rather than showing you.
Its not a concern now though as i've been playing for a while, but it was a frustration to have to alt tab out and search the web for something the game should really tell you. Its a bit like when you let programmers write documentation for software that is supposed to be used by none technical users lol
It does mean that levelling up my other characters is going to be faster now I (mostly) know what i'm doing. It is a annoying though that you read about things you never knew existed in the game on the web rather than finding them in the game, but i suppose you can't have the same experience for everyone.

I did join a guild for a bit which was good for sharing information because there were quite a few new players as well as people who had been playing a while. The only problem was it seemed to die. That may be due to the imminent arrival of cata i don't know, so I dumped a few decent pieces of blacksmithed items in their bank and left. I want to join another guild that actually does go raiding now i think, as solo'ing dungeons isn't as fun.

Rokam

You're playing one of, if not the easiest class to solo stuff with: Self-sustaining mana pool, Free heal every 3 CS's. I solo'd nearly all the group quests on my Ret pally in Outland/Northrend. Not to mention mob health and damage is pretty piss poor at the moment. Once Cata hits the mobs 80+ won't be as easy, or so they've said.

Alex

Easier spec or not, the new 81-85 designs broke 1-79 values. They're being fixed in 4.0.3a, i.e. heavily nerfed. The first pass of them went into today's beta build.

RickD

Before 4.0 hit, I was also playing a hunter, which i found easier than the paladin to solo. It was just a lack of healing that made a difference.

I was definately expecting it to change, hence im trying to get through as much as possible before i get nerf'd :lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Alex said:
Easier spec or not, the new 81-85 designs broke 1-79 values. They're being fixed in 4.0.3a, i.e. heavily nerfed. The first pass of them went into today's beta build.

I havent lvled a low lvl alt since 4.0.1 went live, but i heard its making lvling even more easier than it already was, which is hard to believe. Are people in greens in 4.0.1 killing mobs as fast as someone in heirlooms pre-4.0.1?

Acidote

I was doing around 5k-6k dps on instance bosses with my Frost DK, two tankards o'terror and two ilevel 200 epics. The rest are greens and quest blues. So yes, leveling must be even easier.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Let's just say that I solo'd the 4 Alliance elites that patrol southern Barrens on my (then lvl 28) Warlock when I saw them trot by, and that was without breaking a sweat.

Narag

speedpop said:
Let's just say that I solo'd the 4 Alliance elites that patrol southern Barrens on my (then lvl 28) Warlock when I saw them trot by, and that was without breaking a sweat.

I did the same about level 25 on my boa'd warrior. I could outheal the last three too as soon as the first went down. Victory rush is amazing.

Dunlop

Has anyone done the Sindrosa achieve (kill her before 5 stacks in phase 3) since the patch?

She would not go to the air phase a second time on us,we would get unchained magic and pulled in multiple times when we tried to limit the DPS.

But in phase 3 we would get 2 tombs as if she was in the air effectively taking out 2 of our DPS right at the beginning of the phase.

wasted almost 90 minutes before we moved on.

I had also never noticed that unchained magic will alway hit the healer (our single healer had it every single fucking time) and anyone with a healing OS

C.Dark.DN

Banned
RickD said:
Im so glad i got to level 58 this week so i could go explore outland. I Was getting bored with Azeroth.

Im finding the game to be a bit easy at the moment, I can fend off 5 or 6 similar or higher level mobs at the same time and im playing a RET Paladin. Im assuming this is going to change in the near future?

I managed to find WOTLK for £5 at Toys'R'Us the other day as well, so had a crack at a death knight, didn't particularly like the class so moved back to the Paladin as it seems to be a better character for solo play. I'll investigate that class a bit more when i've hit 80 for the first time.

The problem i've found with wow is the game always seems to have an expectation that you should know what you are doing rather than showing you.
Its not a concern now though as i've been playing for a while, but it was a frustration to have to alt tab out and search the web for something the game should really tell you. Its a bit like when you let programmers write documentation for software that is supposed to be used by none technical users lol
It does mean that levelling up my other characters is going to be faster now I (mostly) know what i'm doing. It is a annoying though that you read about things you never knew existed in the game on the web rather than finding them in the game, but i suppose you can't have the same experience for everyone.

I did join a guild for a bit which was good for sharing information because there were quite a few new players as well as people who had been playing a while. The only problem was it seemed to die. That may be due to the imminent arrival of cata i don't know, so I dumped a few decent pieces of blacksmithed items in their bank and left. I want to join another guild that actually does go raiding now i think, as solo'ing dungeons isn't as fun.
Give some examples of things you needed to look up. There's no doubt web info is relied on, but they've added huge things before 4.0.1 that should cover a lot for new players.

1. The quest helper shows you where to go. Picture not having this. There was a time!
2. Guards giving directions in cities.
3. Dungeon finder saying the instances that exist and level ranges. Not making you run to them anymore.
4. BG finder telling you what you can do, not having to find queues in the world or run to the city and queue.

(speaking of number 4, is there an eye of the storm and etc portal in the world? Lol, the irony, my post is making me need to research.)

Things not really added but can be used to self teach in game:

1. Bosses are pretty much tank and spank at lower levels. You'll learn by being guided or trial and error.
2. Trial and error specs/rotations.
3. Reading the character page stat info to figure out gear you need. Not a lot of option at low levels. Pretty take what you can get.
4. A lot of races should have seen mount vendors for their race plainy. Easiest question to get an answer to tho.

After 4.0.1:
1. Great spell book to show upcoming talents. You could still read the trainer pop up box.

Upcoming things in cat:
1. They are gonna give some info on what bosses do. Not strats tho.
2. They are going to show pictures of target npcs and mobs by quest text.
3.Zone progression can be confusing, and people have favorites and avoid some, but it's safe to assume the one next to the one you just did is an option. You can always check the level of the first mob. Zone progression will be better in cat.

Things I can think of off the to of my head they should add.
1. What gear is dropped in each instance. It's logical that lists could be compiled by a research NPC.
2. Professions. It's hard to know all the different ones, but maybe they expect you to atleast explore every inch of the first city you meet.
3. Holiday and events are confusing, but since everyone is doing it, you can ask easily.

yacobod

Banned
Dunlop said:
Has anyone done the Sindrosa achieve (kill her before 5 stacks in phase 3) since the patch?

She would not go to the air phase a second time on us,we would get unchained magic and pulled in multiple times when we tried to limit the DPS.

But in phase 3 we would get 2 tombs as if she was in the air effectively taking out 2 of our DPS right at the beginning of the phase.

I had also never noticed that unchained magic will alway hit the healer (our single healer had it every single fucking time) and anyone with a healing OS

this was so easy with the 25% or 30% buff a few months ago, that you could just save blood lust for when phase 2 starts and just zerg her, dont even worry about clearing stacks, should be able to nuke her before 5 stacks with how broke dps is now

RickD said:

Alt-tabbing has always been the case in the game. I remember my first night with WoW, back in November 2005, and I was immediately told by my friend Thottbot is almost necessary for leveling. However, now with the in-game questhelper it shouldn't be as needed.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Alt-tabbing has always been the case in the game. I remember my first night with WoW, back in November 2005, and I was immediately told by my friend Thottbot is almost necessary for leveling. However, now with the in-game questhelper it shouldn't be as needed.
omg, that shit sucked.

"ok, i'm doing these quests.
/lookup quest locs online
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
"

Dunlop

yacobod said:
this was so easy with the 25% or 30% buff a few months ago, that you could just save blood lust for when phase 2 starts and just zerg her, dont even worry about clearing stacks, should be able to nuke her before 5 stacks with how broke dps is now

that's what we thought as well as we have been chewing through everytning else np.

As soon as it hits phase 3 we lose 2 players instantly to tombs (as if she flew in the air), with our single healer totally screwed from having unchained magic the whole time.

We got her to about 3% but had wasted so much time off of these weird glitches that we moved on. Our first attempt the entire party froze like someone had become the tomb in the middle of us but DBM did not warn us and we could not see an entry for it in any of our combat logs

Bisnic

DeathNote said:
omg, that shit sucked.

"ok, i'm doing these quests.
/lookup quest locs online
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
/tloc x,y
"

I remember some quests having no indications at all for where to find the quest items. I think the lvl ~40 quests from the dwarf in Westfall were especially bad about this.

"I need some quest item, go find it somewhere in the world. Good luck!"

Tacitus_

Dunlop said:

We did a few tries on it last night (didn't get it due to people being more retarded than normally), she behaved as she had before.

RickD

funkmastergeneral said:

oh yeah, I'm aware i've got it a hell of lot better than "back in the day"

I'd been using Questhelper before Blizzard integrated it, as well as a few other add-ons.

I've seen quite a few of those rifts open up and been the only one around to kill all the elementals three times now. I've got two quest items to turn in at SW. Is that all you get besides the buff? the elementals have been below and above my level?

Flib

There is one thing in the beta which I've never mentioned and I never hear anyone mention. When you mouse over enemies in dungeons now, you get a list of abilities below their tooltip. Just the name (not what it does), but it lets you quickly determine which mobs are casters. It's helpful for marking targets in dungeons you aren't really familiar with.

Aesthet1c

DeathNote said:
Things I can think of off the to of my head they should add.
1. What gear is dropped in each instance. It's logical that lists could be compiled by a research NPC.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are doing this in Cataclysm.

CAW

funkmastergeneral said:
I've always played windowed mode because I find I'm always using WoWHead (thottbott before then) for items, quest information and other searches. Check out this helpful Google Chrome extension for WoWHead (works great!): https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/dacifobcnooehikjifpjadpegohopnda

glaurung

I have always played in windowed mode because I always look some TV series or other media on top of it. Though I guess I might just get another display for home.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
Mind Blown!

Thanks for the link, that is awesome!
You're really that impressed? I just keep wowhead.com open, which has a search bar you don't have to click.

Then again, it's probably hover. Maybe.

I still wish they'd do what LOTRO does in that quest items don't take up inventory space.

It sucks to be knocking out a bunch of quests only to find you don't have room for the quest item.

A few times I thought I looted it only to find out back at the quest giver that my bags were full at the time and I never picked it up :lol

Xiaoki

Angry Grimace said:
The question was why they are nerfing Rune Strike. My response is that the reason why Rune Strike is being adjusted to do less damage in 4.0.3 is because the class as a tank is balanced around the assumption you'd use a mix of DC and RS as a Runic Power dump because RS wasn't always going to be available, therefore, Rune Strikes high threat + damage balanced out Death Coil's low damage + threat.
No, the AP modifier was lowered on RS because of Vengeance.

RS was already doing way too much damage because of Vengeance and Blizzard stealth buffed stamina this patch. Level 85 tanks are almost up to 150,000 unbuffed now. Raid buffed they would be over 200,000 which with full Vengeance would be 20,000 AP.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
so you could pull it out for say, dragon air phases (Lots of Dragons in these new raids!) when you still have a full bar of runic power.
The only dragon boss with an air phase where the tank would be free to attack is Atramedes but you'll probably be running from fire to have time to attack.

HildyB

Aesthet1c said:
Mind Blown!

I was excited too, till I realized if I have access to this extension, I already have a browser open and may as well just use the website. lol.

Flib said:
There is one thing in the beta which I've never mentioned and I never hear anyone mention. When you mouse over enemies in dungeons now, you get a list of abilities below their tooltip. Just the name (not what it does), but it lets you quickly determine which mobs are casters. It's helpful for marking targets in dungeons you aren't really familiar with.

I believe they talked about this a bit during Blizzcon, so that people facing bosses can have a look at their abilities before going into the fight. I think bosses will also have some lore information about them in the window, can't quite remember.

Flib

funkmastergeneral said:
I believe they talked about this a bit during Blizzcon, so that people facing bosses can have a look at their abilities before going into the fight. I think bosses will also have some lore information about them in the window, can't quite remember.

That's something different, the enhanced map where you can click on bosses on the map and get abilities and lore. This is just simply being able to get the abilities of trash mobs by mousing over them, and it's been in the beta for a long time (the enhanced map isn't in yet).

I got to try Halion on 10man normal mode last night. We made pretty quick work of the trash and the sub bosses. We had 5 people, including myself, that had never seen the fights in there. We are officially called the newbie group or affectionately called the little kids. We don't get to play with the big kids often because we're still learning.

That didn't stop us from playing like the big kids though.

That big bitch went down after about 8 wipes or so. Our guild leader was with us and he kept encouraging us and telling us that it's just a matter of practice at this point. Nobody died to the cutter in phase 2 and we finally got to phase 3 alive and that was all she wrote. The guild leader even stopped and asked what my gear score was because I was right on his heels as far as DPS goes. Him and I were top 2 dps on just about every fight. He actually commended me on my gemming, enchanting and reforging decisions.

PS... reduced by 12%, reduced by 12%, reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%,reduced by 12%

There goes my dps... =(

So does ret ever get more fun? I mean, it's "fun" blowing shit up, I guess. But I'm 47 or 48 now and, man, there just isn't enough for me to press. Judge, crusader, waaaaaaaaaaaait, crusader, judge, wait, wrath.

The irony is that I was enjoying my paladin until I unshelved my 50 shaman, who used to be the king of boring. Now, with enhancement, I feel like I'm actually pressing buttons most of the time during a fight. It's a lot more stimulating. I also don't feel invincible, which helps.

So yeah--more buttons for ret ever? Or do I go prot and just cry about having no use for this BoA arcanite reaper anymore?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
So does ret ever get more fun? I mean, it's "fun" blowing shit up, I guess. But I'm 47 or 48 now and, man, there just isn't enough for me to press. Judge, crusader, waaaaaaaaaaaait, crusader, judge, wait, wrath.

The irony is that I was enjoying my paladin until I unshelved my 50 shaman, who used to be the king of boring. Now, with enhancement, I feel like I'm actually pressing buttons most of the time during a fight. It's a lot more stimulating. I also don't feel invincible, which helps.

So yeah--more buttons for ret ever? Or do I go prot and just cry about having no use for this BoA arcanite reaper anymore?
i could log on, make a level 1 pally, then look at the spellbook and see, but... :)

SnakeswithLasers said:

Ret is faceroll spec, it's gonna be like that later too.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SnakeswithLasers said:

You get DS back in 4.0.3, which means if you have absolutely nothing to press, you have another button.

DeathNote said:
i could log on, make a level 1 pally, then look at the spellbook and see, but... :)
:lol I looked through the spellbook last night and nothing jumped out at me as being another button to press, but I wasn't sure. I mean, there are several cooldowns I guess... But nothing that goes in your rotation. I was just trying to confirm that it really is basically an auto-attack spec.

I guess I'll get on my prot warrior and farm JP until I can afford the 1H hammer. I hear prot is more fun as a pally. Maybe that'll be true. It's just that I have been prot on my warrior since vanilla and was looking for a switch... (I made the pally to heal at max level.)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
:lol I looked through the spellbook last night and nothing jumped out at me as being another button to press, but I wasn't sure. I mean, there are several cooldowns I guess... But nothing that goes in your rotation. I was just trying to confirm that it really is basically an auto-attack spec.

I guess I'll get on my prot warrior and farm JP until I can afford the 1H hammer. I hear prot is more fun as a pally. Maybe that'll be true. It's just that I have been prot on my warrior since vanilla and was looking for a switch... (I made the pally to heal at max level.)
you could do a free and instant exorcism if speced for art of war, hammmer of wrath when below 20%

templar's verdit and divine storm isn't in the game right now?

edit: oh wait, you do hammer. then there's also Holy Wrath?

notworksafe

SnakeswithLasers said:

You get three extra buttons to press. Exorcism, Templar's Verdict, and Divine Storm. You also get Zealotry which gives you max Holy Power for a few seconds in order to maximize your ass kicking-ness.

EDIT:

Here ya go. My current ret bar:

XhLIX.png

There's a healthy amount of buttons there. Judgement, CS, Templar's Verdict, Exorcism, Holy Wrath, Divine Storm, Consecration, Avenging Wrath, Hammer of Wrath, and Zealotry. Plus Repentance up in the corner, though that's just a stun.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Aesthet1c said:
Mind Blown!

slow down there mate. read the comments below.

this extension has access to your browsing history. if that's a privacy concern for you, think twice about installing.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
You get three extra buttons to press. Exorcism, Templar's Verdict, and Divine Storm. You also get Zealotry which gives you max Holy Power for a few seconds in order to maximize your ass kicking-ness.

EDIT:

Here ya go. My current ret bar:

XhLIX.png

There's a healthy amount of buttons there.
you use that in pvp too? what do you use for movement?

notworksafe

I usually PvP as Prot, though I rarely PvP at all anymore. And I use WASD for movement. X and V are tied to spells (Repentance and Rebuke for Ret, my two taunts for Prot). I should probably bind Q and E but I still sometimes use them for strafing (instead of just moving with a mouse button held down).

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
I usually PvP as Prot, though I rarely PvP at all anymore. And I use WASD for movement. X and V are tied to spells (Repentance and Rebuke for Ret, my two taunts for Prot). I should probably bind Q and E but I still sometimes use them for strafing (instead of just moving with a mouse button held down).
do you use 1-=? cause i find 1-4 hard while wasd movement. gotta get a gamepad for constant thumb movement before i get back into it.

notworksafe

Yeah I use 1-= and Shift+1-=, plus X and V. It helps that I have huge hands, I think. :lol Let's just say I love the old Xbox Duke controller because it is the only one that doesn't crap my hands. Plus I use the mouse a lot with movement too, like strafing and such.

iiiiiunicorn

Neo Member
What's a good rotation for an Arcane Mage in my lvl 30's? So far I've just been doing Arcane Blast 4 times and then Arcane Barrage but that's mostly in dungeons. I haven't quested much and I'm thinking this rotation won't be as ideal when I'm pulling aggro.

notworksafe

iiiiiunicorn said:
What's a good rotation for an arcane mage at level 26? So far I've just been doing Arcane Blast 4 times and then Arcane Barrage.
That's it...forever. Doesn't really change much at 80, sorry.

Bisnic

Yeah i really enjoy Frost now with all the procs for Ice Lances & Firebolts/Firefrost Bolts. Even for PVE is does really nice damage. More interesting than the boring Arcane Blast spam.

DeathNote said:
do you use 1-=? cause i find 1-4 hard while wasd movement. gotta get a gamepad for constant thumb movement before i get back into it.
How would you play WoW on a gamepad?

I use WASD to move and for abilities:
1-5, Sh+1-3
Q, E, R, T, G, V, C, X, Z and Sh modifiers on all of those except C, X, Z.

How does that fit onto a pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom