• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Lifejumper said:
How will the Asus PRO78JQ-TY066V run WOW on max settings.

Specs: 17,3 inch
Intel Core i7 740QM with L2 cache 6MB
4 GB RAM
500 GB hard drive @ 5400 RPM
Windows 7 Home Premium
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1gig

Thanks.

It's WoW... so very well. My 4 year old computer still maxes it out at 1920x1200

Alex

Ultra is fairly demanding, even my new PC can fail to hit 60 FPS in Dalaran when it's packed up.

Just remember to leave Shadows down one notch.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
DeathNote said:
:lol

"11/04/2010 14:32:50 PDT
Re: Will Cata honestly be playable at launch?

We would nerf the sun or create a Blizzard time zone in which everyone would live in (in perfect harmony), but unfortunately, we have not amassed enough power for that as of yet.

Nethaera
"
True that. People tend to forget that Blizzard are just another company, albeit a big and successful one at that. If I suffer lag and shit during the first week of Cataclysm, then that is part of the parcel as far as I'm concerned.

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Asus P5Q-PRO
RAM: 2x2GB DDr2 Gskill
HDD: 2x600gb WD
psu: cooler master 1000w
ATI 4870x2

And WoW sucks for me. Some places I get good FPS, but for example in UP on skadi when dragon does ground thing fps goes to single digit, and it usually is around 20-30 in crowded spaces...
I play on max, except shadows and some things, but I'm pretty sure it should run higher...
In old deserted places more, but I'm pissed >.>

Worked on inside of my pc, got it all tidy and stuff, new thermal paste, fixed some noise made by coolers and gonna overclock cpu to 3.2ghz at least but doubt it will help :|

Alex

It will help, WoW likes CPU speed more than anything. People who say that it isn't an intensive game on ultra are clearly not moving past vanilla areas though.

Back on my old rig, let's see, it was:

E8400 Core2Duo @ 3.0ghz
4GB DDR2 Ram
8800 GTX. I had some really icky framerate problems. Like 20 FPS in Dalaran and 25 man raids. This was also at 720p, my PC was super well maintained too. I could've cut down my settings more, I guess, but I didn't really want to! I ran most things at notch below, except for the basics that you really want to look perfect. 2xAA, 4X AF.

That was 2009, around Ulduar, and the specs went up again with Cataclysm too with the new effects and another large asset boost up. Their engine doesn't really resemble their vanilla one at all, it can just run it's assets, so don't look it as a 2004 release.

My new one is:

I5 750 @ 4.0ghz
4GB DDR3 Ram
460 GTX. It's mostly all good now, dips to 50 at full ultra (w/ high shadows) in super intensive spots, like the main drag in Dalaran, but I'm not complaining.

I wish I had an SSD though. And man am I glad Dalaran is basically gone except 70-80 leveling. Fuck you, Dalaran.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
These are the Recommended Specifications

Windows® System Vista64/Windows 7 OS:

- Dual-core processor, such as the Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 X2
- 2 GB RAM
- 256 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 or better
- Multi-button mouse with scroll-wheel

I wonder what the ultra, no dips below 60FPS, ultra shadows, system requirements are. Alex's current rig is beefy.

I'm going to be running single core and 1gig of ram

Alex

Now there's some tweaks on the PTR.

Looks like it's mostly the nerfs to the DPS specs self healing. Basically everything got hit, even things like Glyph of Evocation, cept the S.priest VE which was already hit I believe.

Someone ran tests of the new 1-60 dungeon passes on beta. For an example, Ragefire Chasm trash mobs apparently now have 30% more HP and hit 100% harder. Fellow says their tank ran ahead of their healer once, and got his ass completely beat by trash mobs while in Heirloom gear no less.

The bosses all sound a lot meaner too, with massive increases to HP and had their mechanics tweaked to punishing values to teach people not to do stupid shit, like stand in front and get cleaved.

Sounds a lot better than the original iterations, let alone what those played like when 4.0.1's busted early game scaling hit them.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alex said:
Now there's some tweaks on the PTR.

Looks like it's mostly the nerfs to the DPS specs self healing. Basically everything got hit, even things like Glyph of Evocation, cept the S.priest VE which was already hit I believe.

Someone ran tests of the old content revamps, like the dungeons, for an example, Ragefire Chasm mobs have 30% more HP and hit 100% harder. :lol Guy says his tank, who ran ahead of the healer in Heirloom gear, got his ass beat.
live or ptr? where's the source?

Alex

That is rad.

I never get those fancy mounts since I go thru the same shit every expansion where I app and get into bleeding edge guilds, realize i dont want to be in a bleeding edge guild, and quit.

I mostly regret not doing much ZA back in BC, because I so want that damn bear. That ZA bear mount is the coolest mount in the game, IMO.

Evlar

Banned
Athlon64 3400+ (2.4MHz, single core!)
2gig RAM
7600GS
720p display
Windows 7 64-bit

... and WoW still runs on Medium settings at 60 Hz everywhere except Dalaran and a few other places in Northrend. The trees in western Dragonblight drop me to about 30, for instance.

Alex

DeathNote said:
live or ptr? where's the source?

PTR just got a small patch to nerf self healing.

Beta's patch from yesterday, which had shit tons of undoc'd things like health hikes, resil hikes, new hairstyles, dungeon revamps, etc, had the dungeon changes.

I don't think live will see anything until 4.0.3.a which is prob late Nov.

I always take my data from MMOChampion or the beta boards. You can still view the beta boards without a beta account, i think. It's good to hit up the dungeon ones and the general ones, they got a lot of info that sneaks by my half assed testing and they're usually pretty OK to read, unlike the shitty live forums.

Here's a link to the dungeon revamp discussion:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27495546441&sid=2000

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I like Reins of the Armored Brown Bear better. Brown fur + eyes superior to big red turtle shell bear that can't see where it's going.

Alex

Rated BG FAQ:
Rated Battlegrounds are broken down into three brackets. 10v10, 15v15 and 25v25. These brackets rotate weekly and can be viewed in-game via the calendar by activating the battleground holiday filter.

Players must create a raid with the full number of players required for the current bracket before entering the queue. Any level 85 player of your faction may participate in the battle (regardless of guild association).

When players win a battle, they are rewarded conquest points, up to their weekly cap. Weekly caps are individual for each player and are based on your highest single pvp rating from the previous week (the cap resets on Tuesdays). This rating can be derived from your 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 arena, or your rated battleground rating.

Players start at zero rated battleground rating and progress upward from there. Rating is only reduced after a lost battle when the player is above their internal matchmaking rating. For the most part, a rating only goes up.

Epic ground mounts will be rewarded at the end of each season to the top 0.5% of players. Titles are also available as you gain rating in the system. The titles are rewarded directly from achievements earned from gaining the required rating.

Winning a rated battleground with a team composed of 80% guild members will result in the additional benefit of guild experience gain for your guild. The UI will display a guild banner near the minimap that lets you know if you are eligible for guild achievements and experience.

Evlar

Banned
Watching how rated BGs shake out will be the most interesting part of the first month of Cata, for me. I like the bracket idea in general, though I notice it implies AV and IoC are 25-man rated BGs. Was this previously known, and are they 25-man when unrated, too?

Lolligag

Evlar said:
Watching how rated BGs shake it will be the most interesting part of the first month of Cata, for me. I like the bracket idea in general, though I notice it implies AV and IoC are 25-man rated BGs. Was this previously known, and are they 25-man when unrated, too?
I know AV was cut down to that size in general, so I'd assume IoC is too. Rated/unrated will have the same size.

notworksafe

Alex said:
That is rad.

I never get those fancy mounts since I go thru the same shit every expansion where I app and get into bleeding edge guilds, realize i dont want to be in a bleeding edge guild, and quit.

I mostly regret not doing much ZA back in BC, because I so want that damn bear. That ZA bear mount is the coolest mount in the game, IMO.
You need a guild like mine. Not bleeding edge, but just cool people you like running content with. Helps when they don't have a strict raiding schedule too. Just 1-2 days a week for us, and we managed to get everything we wanted out of this expansion...except H-ICC but ah well. Still got Kingslayer, Starcaller, and Ulduar Drakes. Hopefully Undying after Saturday as well! :D

C.Dark.DN

Banned
shadowmeld seems like it'd be pretty OP in rated BGs if there were a lot of them. lots of places to hide and you can have valuable time to decide on a strat.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
You need a guild like mine. Not bleeding edge, but just cool people you like running content with. Helps when they don't have a strict raiding schedule too. Just 1-2 days a week for us, and we managed to get everything we wanted out of this expansion...except H-ICC but ah well. Still got Kingslayer, Starcaller, and Ulduar Drakes. Hopefully Undying after Saturday as well! :D
yeah i hope to find one like yours. it's hard tho.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
DeathNote said:
shadowmeld seems like it'd be pretty OP in rated BGs if there were a lot of them. lots of places to hide and you can have valuable time to decide on a strat.

It was better before, night elf hunters were top tier WSG flag or AB stables/farm guards :lol

You could load up Aimed Shot while in Shadowmeld, so you basically could kill an enemy with a combo back in lvl 60 before he knew what hit him.

But seriously. Ground mounts for rated BG's? Why ground mounts? Just so you can boast with them in the only place where flying mounts cant be used (BG's and arenas)?

Evlar

Banned
Osaka said:
It was better before, night elf hunters were top tier WSG flag or AB stables/farm guards :lol

You could load up Aimed Shot while in Shadowmeld, so you basically could kill an enemy with a combo back in lvl 60 before he knew what hit him.

But seriously. Ground mounts for rated BG's? Why ground mounts? Just so you can boast with them in the only place where flying mounts cant be used (BG's and arenas)?
Well, yeah. Anyone who wins one of those ground mounts will be spending quite a lot of time in places where you can only use ground mounts.

Alex

My favorite looking ground mount is probably just the Deathcharger. That thing is absolutely perfect looking, IMO. Nice, subdued color scheme, good thematic, it's a great fantasy look without being over the top and that's what I like.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Updated Combat Resurrection Design
The design for combat resurrection effects has changed a good deal for Cataclysm, and we want to make sure players are clear on how spells like Rebirth and Create Soulstone now function. Rebirth has a 10-minute cooldown and Create Soulstone has a 15-minute cooldown. On raid boss encounters, you can only use one of these combat resurrection spells (so one Rebirth or one Soulstone) per attempt for 10-player raids. For 25-player raids you can use three forms of combat resurrection per raid boss attempt (so three of any combination of Rebirth and Soulstone). The count is incremented as soon as a player accepts a resurrection, so one can always choose not to accept if he or she wants someone else to get the resurrection instead. There is no equivalent of the Sated debuff (which tracks Bloodlust/Heroism usage), but you will get an error message if you try to resurrect too many players, and we might add tracking to our raid interface if there is demand for it. Outside of raid content, you can use as many battle resurrections as you have available.

For those of you currently participating in the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm beta test, please note that this functionality may not be fully implemented as of yet. If you notice combat resurrections are not currently functioning as explained here, this is just a heads-up about the updated design intent behind them.

notworksafe said:
We're always welcoming of new people! (except Alliance) :D
i'll holla closer to cat if i can't figure out anything :) for the horde!

actually, do i have a time limit on getting kingslayer?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Updated Combat Resurrection Design

i'll holla closer to cat if i can't figure out anything :) for the horde!

actually, do i have a time limit on getting kingslayer?
If combat resurrections are limited by some secret force, then everyone should have them.

notworksafe said:
I have a level 15 Belf hunter on your realm :lol

Alex

To prevent raid stacking, people have abused these things for quite awhile, but now, especially under the new environment and when healer niches are gone, it would've def played some havoc with composition.

They probably should have done this back when the debuff was added to Heroism/Bloodlust. I remember before that though, when people would make lowbie Warlocks and use them to Soulstone the raids, heh.

Wonder if they'll just wind up leaving Shaman's as it is, since it's personal and not as prone to bullshit.

Either way I'm glad they're cleaning up these things, especially DPS self-healing, before launch and not like in 4.1 or some shit.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
Wait, what? I don't understand the purpose behind this.

And Grimace, PM me your character name and I'll invite you!
Iunno. Maybe to have a more balanced group make up if things are touch.

"One thing we're considering with Soulstone is making it possible, in addition to its current functionality, to be cast on a dead player to give them the option of joining the living again."

C.Dark.DN

Banned
i didin't know the blues were so sassy prior to the past few weeks

Re: SERIOUS QUESTION LOL

If you could take one spell from WoW and be able to use it in real life, what would it be, and why?

Example: Arcane intellect - I'd buff some stoopids and make this world a better place. ;)
Does "toggle caps lock key" count as a spell? I'd use that IRL.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Wait, what? I don't understand the purpose behind this.

And Grimace, PM me your character name and I'll invite you!
sent

cdyhybrid

notworksafe said:

Might have to take you up on that offer once I can server transfer my Goblin...I'll have to see if my guild actually comes back in Cata or if it'll remain 2-5 people online that never talk :lol I probably wouldn't be raiding though, except for the random occurance where I happen to be on and have a few hours free and the guild needs a Rogue. It would just be nice to have people to chat with and occasionally run dungeons/PvP with :lol

notworksafe

Just let me know. We've got people that do everything. Some raid, some just quest and do dungeons, some just do crafting (for some reason). :D We even have PVP lovers as well.

Billen

Banned
Aesthet1c said:
How long has the Naga been available for? Reading everyones opinion of it makes me want one badly. However I don't want to buy one if the Naga 2 is going to come out in a few months (or whatever they decide the successor).

I bought one for my son. Having seen him playing with it made me want one for myself. It really seems to change things for the better.

Rapstah

Scrow said:
he seems much more normal in that vid than he did at blizzcon... not normal, just more normal :p
The setting and recording magnified his awkwardness, he's at pretty normal amounts of awkwardness otherwise.

Just 2manned Magtheridon as a Holy Pally (myself) and my friend on his prot War.

Took like 15 mins with our lack of DPS :lol

251g each for the kill isnt bad though. :p

mclem

Acidote

They've been turned into bags, so I guess somebody wants a realle, really expensive 24 slots bag. Must have been a lore geek, I tryed to find the buyer but he must have used a level 1 alt.

mclem

Acidote said:
They've been turned into bags, so I guess somebody wants a realle, really expensive 24 slots bag. Must have been a lore geek, I tryed to find the buyer but he must have used a level 1 alt.

Given that the only 24-slot (general-purpose) bags currently in the game are 3k gold...

http://www.wowhead.com/item=51809

Though that should be modified in Cataclysm when 24-slot bags, I believe, become craftable.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I seriously hope Deathwing will continue flying in random zones AFTER december 7th until we get to kill him. It would be a nice addition for the game while the expansion last. Even if you are on a PVE server, you can still be ganked, but by Deathwing himself! Much more epic than a blood elf paladin. Because if Deathwing only fly around the world burning shit for less than a month, it would be very underwhelming.

HildyB

markot said:
MX518 fo life!

This.

I have used the Naga, Mamba, sidewinder, and borrowed the Steelseries Wow mouse for a week. I always end up going back to my old MX518. Maybe it's my man hands, but other mice just didn't feel right, even after a month with them.

Naga was a problem for my hand size as my thumb rested right over the left row of buttons, and minor adjustment to get the middle row with the middle of my thumb, but the right row was useless as it took some micro contortion to hit those. Again, if it's made by and for Asian sized hands, it's probably perfect. Then after playing with my UI so much, I had everything keybound to my keyboard anyways, so I ended up not utilizing it.

WoW mouse was same issue with already being set in my ways more than anything. I didn't give it as much time as I did with the others (about a week vs. a month).

Mamba was nice but too ... short hight wise, my palm was almost flat and the button flares were not functional. It's a great mouse on par with the MX518 but just couldn't get used to the grip.

MS Sidewinder was ok, but is smaller than it looks. It was nice, I have no real good or bad on it. It was middle of the road.

Oh, MX518, I can't /quit you.

ToddG15

So with the talk of adjusting the leveling aspect from 1-79 back to a more "normal" scale like it was before..has this gone live yet? Just wondering because I have a 68 priest alt that was previously shelved but I was playing off and on over the last week or so. I was originally shadow since I didn't want to deal with having to heal but decided to dual spec holy to heal for my like leveled warrior tank friend. When the two of us are grouped together, I've not had any problems healing (though it is my first foray into healing and I'm sure I'm average at best at it). Last night I decided to que a random to heal without my friend and I joined a group already in progress (probably a bad sign in itself) and we managed to wipe on the first pull. The tank and dps blamed me for not healing, I blamed the tank for being overly aggressive in his pull and the dps pulling additional groups on their own, not to mention everyone getting feared all over the place. After explaining I was fairly new to healing and couldn't keep up the entire group getting damaged, they still tried to blame it all on me, so I decided to just drop group.

No wonder people don't want to tank/heal, too many people out there can't figure out to focus fire/cc/let the tank do his thing...

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
HildyB said:
This.

I have used the Naga, Mamba, sidewinder, and borrowed the Steelseries Wow mouse for a week. I always end up going back to my old MX518. Maybe it's my man hands, but other mice just didn't feel right, even after a month with them.

Naga was a problem for my hand size as my thumb rested right over the left row of buttons, and minor adjustment to get the middle row with the middle of my thumb, but the right row was useless as it took some micro contortion to hit those. Again, if it's made by and for Asian sized hands, it's probably perfect. Then after playing with my UI so much, I had everything keybound to my keyboard anyways, so I ended up not utilizing it.

WoW mouse was same issue with already being set in my ways more than anything. I didn't give it as much time as I did with the others (about a week vs. a month).

Mamba was nice but too ... short hight wise, my palm was almost flat and the button flares were not functional. It's a great mouse on par with the MX518 but just couldn't get used to the grip.

MS Sidewinder was ok, but is smaller than it looks. It was nice, I have no real good or bad on it. It was middle of the road.

Oh, MX518, I can't /quit you.

Try Razer Imperator, pretty much the same size as MX518. A little lighter, and I think the shape is better at least for my grip. Oh and the mouse is over 3x more precise!

I was a sworn MX518 man too for years, until yesterday!

Acidote

mclem said:
Given that the only 24-slot (general-purpose) bags currently in the game are 3k gold...

http://www.wowhead.com/item=51809

That's why I chose that price =).

mclem said:
Though that should be modified in Cataclysm when 24-slot bags, I believe, become craftable.

And that's why I'm surprised somebody bought it. 24 slots bags are going to be quite cheaper very soon. I expect sky rocketed prices for the first weeks of the expansion, and around 300 gs each afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom