• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokam

So I'm about 99% sure my nephew got keylogged as I've seen him on super late these past 2 nights and he won't respond to me. He's been running Ramparts over and over. I have no way to contact him as he's at his dads. Is there anything I can do or will I just have to wait till I can get ahold of him?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
scoobs said:
WE DID IT (queue steven colbert gif) 20 straight losses in bgs. not a single win. how is there not an achievement for this?

So it's not bad enough that you get achievements for just playing the game normally, now you want achievements for being bad at it?

Seriously.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Osaka said:
So it's not bad enough that you get achievements for just playing the game normally, now you want achievements for being bad at it?

Seriously.
Pipe down chachi!

notworksafe

Rokam said:
So I'm about 99% sure my nephew got keylogged as I've seen him on super late these past 2 nights and he won't respond to me. He's been running Ramparts over and over. I have no way to contact him as he's at his dads. Is there anything I can do or will I just have to wait till I can get ahold of him?
You've gotta wait for him. Blizzard needs to hear from whoever's name is on the account to start reclaiming it.

Rapstah

Rokam said:
What's up with Ramparts though? I can /who 80 at any time on my server and always get 4-5 80s running it over and over again... I always found it odd but I've never made the "hacked" connection.

Anyone have any suggestions for addons to help a terrible shadow priest? As far as actionbars go, I'm locked down to Naga due to the mouse, but for stuff like DoT management, etc, I could use some advice.

Rapstah

LaserBuddha said:
Anyone have any suggestions for addons to help a terrible shadow priest? As far as actionbars go, I'm locked down to Naga due to the mouse, but for stuff like DoT management, etc, I could use some advice.
This might be too basic for your level of shadow priesting and is just an indirect way of seeing it, but I've found that using Xperl with your target frame set up this way:

framessetupwl41.png

you can keep very good track of the debuffs you need to keep up on your main target. You can set it up to make your own debuffs and specific ones larger too, which helps a lot on my Warlock.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
LaserBuddha said:

Get ForteXorcist, was originally made as a warlock addon by a warlock, for dot management, but it's far more advanced now. Debuffs, buffs, cooldowns..

It even has lines in the timer bars for when the dots tick. Pure brilliance.

SpellTimerCooldownTimer.png

On the bottom there is the cooldown bar, with icons sliding down to 0 with a nice alarm effect when they are ready.

notworksafe

Up to you. Would you rather have a level 80 epic that will be replaced in two levels or a Heroic 5 man blue that will be replaced after your first raid?

Tacitus_

I'd recommend using them for a while and trying to cap them near launch. 264s are supposedly good for almost the whole leveling curve but 251s will get replaced during the first/second zone.

Thanks for the tips!

Another question, is there a way to set profiles for my UI based on what spec I'm using?

For instance, when I'm in Shadow I'd be using something like ForteXorcist, but when I switch to Holy I'd want that to go away and have my Healbot setup, differently organized actionbars, etc.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
LaserBuddha said:
Thanks for the tips!

Another question, is there a way to set profiles for my UI based on what spec I'm using?

For instance, when I'm in Shadow I'd be using something like ForteXorcist, but when I switch to Holy I'd want that to go away and have my Healbot setup, differently organized actionbars, etc.

Default action bars change accordingly on dual spec but there's no addon like that for the whole UI that I know of.

Great idea for an addon though. Don't know if it's possible, however.

What you could try is to make a macro for disabling and enabling spec-specific addons with a macro (dunno how that works nowadays) and then do a /reloadui.

J-Rzez

After using a couple fancy-flashy add-ons I axed almost all of them. They started to annoy me with how much real-estate they took up on the screen, some had developed bugs since the patch, etc. Now I'm left with Recount, DBM, Atlas Loot (which will be gone shortly I'm sure), ZugZug mount mod which plays the theme to Airwolf when you get on a mount, and my AotD mod which plays the Benny Hill Theme song when you channel them and while they're up.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
J-Rzez said:
After using a couple fancy-flashy add-ons I axed almost all of them. They started to annoy me with how much real-estate they took up on the screen, some had developed bugs since the patch, etc. Now I'm left with Recount, DBM, Atlas Loot (which will be gone shortly I'm sure), ZugZug mount mod which plays the theme to Airwolf when you get on a mount, and my AotD mod which plays the Benny Hill Theme song when you channel them and while they're up.

Unfortunately all classes and specs arent in the state yet where the default UI gives good enough information to perform to your fullest. Or rather, the default UI isn't in the state where you can perform to your fullest with certain classes and specs.

I couldn't imagine playing a healer or a warlock without some addons.

J-Rzez

Osaka said:
Unfortunately all classes and specs arent in the state yet where the default UI gives good enough information to perform to your fullest. Or rather, the default UI isn't in the state where you can perform to your fullest with certain classes and specs.

I couldn't imagine playing a healer or a warlock without some addons.

The only add-on I ever found valuable was with my priest, and that's Grid, out of sheer convenience only (i haven't tried with healing with the new raid frames). Other than that, I used some timers on my lock, got rid of them all in the end.

I want to go back to Holy, but all I can remember from the last time I played it was going into Ulduar on patch day and causing us to wipe like 3 times, because I had no time to look at or do anything other than click my healbot grid like crazy. Damn fireballs.

I can't help but wonder how other priests can find time to keep everybody in the raid healed and pay attention to the action itself.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
LaserBuddha said:
I want to go back to Holy, but all I can remember from the last time I played it was going into Ulduar on patch day and causing us to wipe like 3 times, because I had no time to look at or do anything other than click my healbot grid like crazy. Damn fireballs.

I can't help but wonder how other priests can find time to keep everybody in the raid healed and pay attention to the action itself.

That's how you separate the beginner healers from the experienced ones, the latter don't get tunnel vision on the raid frame :lol

Flib

LaserBuddha said:
You aren't locked in to the naga add-on. I use bartender on live and dominos on the beta, never used the official naga add-on.

notworksafe

Osaka said:
That's how you separate the beginner healers from the experienced ones, the latter don't get tunnel vision on the raid frame :lol
Helps to start using the F1-F10 hotkeys instead of clicking too. :D

notworksafe

Ah okay. I haven't seriously raid healed since BC so I guess I'm behind the times. :lol

I just bound everything possible to my keyboard so I didn't really need to use the mouse for much other than turning.

Evlar

Banned
Osaka said:
Pretty sure the majority of raid healers just mouse-over Grid? No clicking needed afaik.

Never played a healer, though.

EDIT:

Ah, this: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/clique.aspx
Mmm-hmm. That's what I use. Vastly increases your response time as a healer.

On the question of keeping the raid up while paying attention to the action, it's a matter of focus. With a really good raid frame/click casting system the healing part can become so much reflexive response that you don't need to expend all your attention on it. It's similar to getting "in the zone" when playing FPS.

scoobs

Osaka said:

Seriously.
lol im not bad its alliance pugs man... nobody even uses the demos on strands of teh ancients they all just pvp on the beach :(

Seeds

Quick question.

Thinking of playing again with the release of cataclysm, and I'm wondering if the amount of mails from sites trying to steal your password etc. is an indication of keyloggers. I didn't recieve any when playing, but after a 3 month break, I'm receiving as many as 5 mails a day.

Wouldn't want to get hacked as soon as I start playing.

notworksafe

Five a day? Wow. I don't even get five a month! I'm don't believe the number of mails is related to how many keyloggers you have though. Now if you were clicking on the links in those mails, that'd be a different story. Have you been giving out your email to WoW sites or other gaming sites/forums?

If you are really worried, just get an authenticator. iDevice/Android ones are free and the other cell phone ones are like $1.

I feel like the authenticator info should just be posted in the OP or at the top of each page. :lol

Seeds said:
Quick question.

Thinking of playing again with the release of cataclysm, and I'm wondering if the amount of mails from sites trying to steal your password etc. is an indication of keyloggers. I didn't recieve any when playing, but after a 3 month break, I'm receiving as many as 5 mails a day.

Wouldn't want to get hacked as soon as I start playing.

I still get Aion phishing emails, and I haven't played that game in a year and never signed up for any Aion website outside of registering with the official website. I don't know how they get the email addresses.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
funkmastergeneral said:
I still get Aion phishing emails, and I haven't played that game in a year and never signed up for any Aion website outside of registering with the official website. I don't know how they get the email addresses.

I never touched anything related to Aion and i still get phising emails saying my Aion account will get banned. I think they just take whatever popular MMO there is and send random phising emails to people who went to some shitty website more or less related to MMOs.

Seeds

notworksafe said:
Five a day? Wow. I don't even get five a month! I'm don't believe the number of mails is related to how many keyloggers you have though. Now if you were clicking on the links in those mails, that'd be a different story. Have you been giving out your email to WoW sites or other gaming sites/forums?

If you are really worried, just get an authenticator. iDevice/Android ones are free and the other cell phone ones are like $1.

I feel like the authenticator info should just be posted in the OP or at the top of each page. :lol

Funny thing is that I never got any mails while playing the game, and since I stopped I haven't even bothered to visit wows official site or battle.net, so I have no idea how they got my email.

And just like funkmaster I've recieved some regarding Aion too, despite never having played the game or even being to their official site.

But yeah, I guess I'll get the authenticator, just in case.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Remember when Blizzard used to be not lazy and actually designed unique items for heroic modes?

Good times.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Angry Grimace said:
Remember when Blizzard used to be not lazy and actually designed unique items for heroic modes?

Good times.

Do you mean models or just items? Because I just saw a huge list of heroic-only items on MMO-Champ.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
notworksafe said:
Up to you. Would you rather have a level 80 epic that will be replaced in two levels or a Heroic 5 man blue that will be replaced after your first raid?
That kind of makes it sound less useful than it is, because you need the Heroic Blue to get the raid gear (well, sort of, but I'm sure you get my drift)

Osaka said:
Do you mean models or just items? Because I just saw a huge list of heroic-only items on MMO-Champ.
That's just Sinestra's loot table.

I meant items that were not just, "Axe of Awesome (Heroic)"

Dunlop

Osaka said:
Pretty sure the majority of raid healers just mouse-over Grid? No clicking needed afaik.

EDIT:

I have everything mapped to my mouse buttons in Vuhdo. I could almost remove all the spells from my actionbars. I pretty much put them on the see the cooldowns that I have not setup in Power Auras

if you are a healer, Vuhdo is pretty easy to use while being extremely powerful. You do not have to configure a second addon like Clique or decursive

Angry Grimace

notworksafe said:

I've never gotten a hacking email ever AFAIK.

As for the healing question, I've never liked healing with mouse buttons, I always write /cast [target=mouseover] Heal macros and bind them to 1-5 with shift modifiers. I just never could get used to modifying left and right click functionality.

notworksafe

Angry Grimace said:
That kind of makes it sound less useful than it is, because you need the Heroic Blue to get the raid gear (well, sort of, but I'm sure you get my drift)
True. I just meant that either way his JP was going to be used on a transitional piece of gear. Either for leveling or getting into raids.

J-Rzez

Angry Grimace said:

Good times.

The days of unique models are gone. You can blame all the Blizztards for relentlessly defending Blizzard for sharing models with everything. Even the freakin' LK loot are recycled models mostly. Just go on wowhead, check "same model as", look at the lists, and vomit.

Now it's just same models, different color, +stats. Boring as hell.

Sciz

Angry Grimace said:
Yes, and it was annoying as hell. I like being able to upgrade my gear from tier to tier without heroics being mandatory because the only pieces that got itemized for a few slots are stuck on heroic and/or 25-man loot tables.

Ulduar was a great raid, but the loot model was insane.

Osaka said:

EDIT:

So I get Clique and Grid, then I just hover my cursor over a party member and press the key for the spell I want?

Pretty slick. Would be even cooler if you could set it to automatically cast what is most needed (like, I click the nameplate and it casts Greater Heal if health<%40, otherwise it cures disease if the target is diseased, etc.)

notworksafe

That type of thing was disallowed in addons long ago. Players were using stuff like Decursive and Emergency Monitor to have the game played for them and Blizzard removed the APIs that made those work.

notworksafe said:
That type of thing was disallowed in addons long ago. Players were using stuff like Decursive and Emergency Monitor to have the game played for them and Blizzard removed the APIs that made those work.

LOL yeah it seemed pretty cheap when I was saying it.

Evlar

Banned
Yeah, Clique is only capable of changing casts based on whether the frame you're hovering over is friendly or hostile or whether you're in or out of combat; you can do the same with macros.

So, considering I'm using the Naga mouse, I would do the following:

Get Vuhdo or Grid+Curse, and set it so that I hover my cursor over the target player and press the corresponding button on the mouse's number pad for the spell I want to cast.

Is this pretty much the most efficient way to do things or am I missing something that would allow me to speed up/streamline the process further?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
notworksafe said:
decursive was pretty badass in MC

C.Dark.DN

Banned
"But Valor, the higher tier currency, will buy tier 11. "

I see iLevel 359(normal) and iLevel 372(heroic) tier 11 gear.

Is valor going to buy a lower iLevel tier 11?

edit: http://www.wowwiki.com/Tier_11 Don't know how accurate this is...
iLevel 359

head- token
shoulder- token
chest- 2,200
hands- 1,650
legs- 2,200

Nymerio

LaserBuddha said:
So, considering I'm using the Naga mouse, I would do the following:

Get Vuhdo or Grid+Curse, and set it so that I hover my cursor over the target player and press the corresponding button on the mouse's number pad for the spell I want to cast.

Is this pretty much the most efficient way to do things or am I missing something that would allow me to speed up/streamline the process further?

The way I've had it is, grid + dominoes. I had one bar in dominoes setup with 4 rows each having 3 buttons bound to the 12 buttons on the Naga. With OmniCC you see directly which button on your mouse is on cooldown. Don't know what you mean with Curse, you can just setup Grid to display dispellable debuffs. I had that corner icon addon where each corner could have four indicators, that way you could have indicators for every debuff type, but since the new blizzard raid frames came out I've ditched grid completly, the standard frames do an awesome job.

For macros I alway use:

Code:
#showtooltip
/stopcasting
/cast [target=mouseover] Renew

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
So does that mean when tier 12 hits, people can run heroics for full 359? There's a lot of people that don't seem to do heroic modes. Perhaps this is a push to do them? How much better will random gear be than tier?
I don't understand your question.

The system is essentially the same as the Badge system used in Wrath but the points themselves never change, just what you can buy with them. The purpose of the system is to avoid having the fiasco of WLK where there were 5 different types which you have to up and downgrade all the time.

AFAIK the design is that as new raid tiers are released, the previous VP tiers turn to JP tiers.

thatbox

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
The key thing is to get a DoT timer addon. There are lots of them to choose from, so just pick one you're comfortable with. I use NeedToKnow, and here is a video of what it looks like in action. Shadow priest mechanics have changed slightly from when I made that for someone else in my guild, so don't pay too much attention to the voiceover, but basically you just need an addon that shows you how much longer you have until it's time to recast your DoTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom