• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
alright that doesn't sound too bad then.

also, is this game more solo friendly now? i don't feel like joining a guild and my friends don't play so i would probably get to 100, do some 5-mans, then heroics, and so on.

can i do that? then just use LFR (i don't even know how this works) and get geared?

Yup. It's probably the most solo-friendly in years. Basically everything beyond Arena and actual raiding can be done solo/through a group finder. You'll never be as powerful as raiders, but you won't need to be to see almost all the content.

bcl0328

Yup. It's probably the most solo-friendly in years. Basically everything beyond Arena and actual raiding can be done solo/through a group finder. You'll never be as powerful as raiders, but you won't need to be to see almost all the content.

awesome. i don't need to be the best, just something i can play casually since i don't have a lot of time.

so if i pre-order i can instantly get a level 90. does that also include professions? and what about gear?

Entropia

No One Remembers
awesome. i don't need to be the best, just something i can play casually since i don't have a lot of time.

so if i pre-order i can instantly get a level 90. does that also include professions? and what about gear?

A few notes on the 'instant level 90'

• You need to have made the character already
  • You do not have to to do the upgrade immediately. You can do the pre-purchase and then upgrade when you decide what you want to boost.
  • It comes with ilvl 483 gear. You can go to the Timeless Isle where you have the opportunity to get ilvl 496 gear. You can also do the world bosses there which drop 553 tier pieces(legs, gloves) or ilvl 550 PvP gear.
  • You choose what spec you want it to be.
  • It does not come with glyphs
  • If you are under level 60, you do not get a profession boost.
  • If you are level 60 or above and have professions, they are automatically boosted to 600 (cap)

bcl0328

• You do not have to to do the upgrade immediately. You can do the pre-purchase and then upgrade when you decide what you want to boost.
  • It comes with ilvl 483 gear. You can go to the Timeless Isle where you have the opportunity to get ilvl 496 gear. You can also do the world bosses there which drop 553 tier pieces(legs, gloves) or ilvl 550 PvP gear.
  • If you are level 60 or above and have professions, they are automatically boosted to 600 (cap)

thank you for all the information.

sounds like it would be easier (and faster) to level professions than to do 1-90. that way i can jump right in the game. i don't really need them anyway i guess until i feel like leveling them.

does that include archaeology?

Veezy

que?
So, I hit 90 on my Priest over the weekend. Get excited.

Now, I'm a bit confused as to the best way to get geared up to be a decent Disc Priest. I've done some grinding on the Timeless Isle, but I'm still in mostly greens and trying to solo some of the mobs as Shadow just takes a lot of time, and leads to a lot of deaths. Is that the most efficient way to go about it, or am I missing a better way to get some early gear?

StMeph

also, is this game more solo friendly now? i don't feel like joining a guild and my friends don't play so i would probably get to 100, do some 5-mans, then heroics, and so on.

When was WoW *not* solo-friendly?

Even in vanilla, it was solo friendly up to the cap, and if you're willing to do 5-mans and Heroics, that about covers everything outside of raids. LFR is just the last piece with a guided zerg through all tiers of sharply nerfed raid content.

sounds like it would be easier (and faster) to level professions than to do 1-90. that way i can jump right in the game. i don't really need them anyway i guess until i feel like leveling them.

does that include archaeology?

Archaeology not included. Only primary professions + First Aid.

I personally think the 1-60 is faster than leveling the tradeskills.

So, I hit 90 on my Priest over the weekend. Get excited.

Now, I'm a bit confused as to the best way to get geared up to be a decent Disc Priest. I've done some grinding on the Timeless Isle, but I'm still in mostly greens and trying to solo some of the mobs as Shadow just takes a lot of time, and leads to a lot of deaths. Is that the most efficient way to go about it, or am I missing a better way to get some early gear?

Buy the BOE crafted belt (but not legs) for your class. That's usually second-BIS if you don't plan to raid Normal/Heroic. With the influx of new 90s with max trades, prices have been tanking on these.

Trade 50 lesser charms for 3 runes each week to reroll world bosses and run+reroll Celestials. They have 553 tier gloves and legs, and drop most pieces of the current season (Prideful) PvP gear at 550.

Grinding BGs for Honor will get you ilevel 522 gear in every slot, though the trinkets aren't as useful for PvE. The PvP Power stat doesn't actually eat much into an item's ilevel budget. The only thing you really lose is the socket bonus of some items, because THOSE get PvP Power instead of your primary stat.

Arena for Conquest will net you 550s, but that's capped to 1800 a week. You can run with a carry, or pay for one, and that's still cheaper than buying BOE crafted items.

Those are all better than Timeless items (496). I wouldn't count on Burdening them much. Maybe 1-3. I didn't really get a bunch of them until well after I needed them, and they were all useless vendor trash at that point.

Honor will get you the most slots without any time constraints like caps or lockouts. Conquest will get you stuff about on par with upgraded Flex (548). You'll want to run the raids for PvE trinkets though. Those aren't really replaceable.

Don't they give you new bags too? Do they throw the new gear in your bags or equip it?

And what happens to the existing bags and existing loot in your bags and bank and what's equipped?

Berordn

Archaeology not included. Only primary professions + First Aid.

I personally think the 1-60 is faster than leveling the tradeskills.

It also helps that professions won't be "mandatory" for raiders in the future, since they're removing the bonuses. They'll be nice to have to make money but with the changes they're (planning) on making to make them all easier to level, just jumping in will be fine.

Don't they give you new bags too? Do they throw the new gear in your bags or equip it?

And what happens to the existing bags and existing loot in your bags and bank and what's equipped?

It gets mailed to you.

StMeph

You get 4x Embersilk Bags, ilevel 483 green gear, and all of your old stuff/bags is mailed back to you.

And mount training includes everything up to 280% and Pandaria riding, so you're only missing the 310%.

^ that's great!

On another note, I need to get my lvl 87 to 90. Are "monkey runs" the fastest way still?

Assuming I can't find a group, what's the next fastest way? I'd prefer to mindlessly run dungeons over having to quest...

Diodiablo

Banned
^ that's great!

On another note, I need to get my lvl 87 to 90. Are "monkey runs" the fastest way still?

Assuming I can't find a group, what's the next fastest way? I'd prefer to mindlessly run dungeons over having to quest...
The faster way is to grind the small worms in Timeless Isle. They pay you exp as l90 elite mobs(each) and are relatively easy to kill, you only need to have a class with a good AoE.

The faster way is to grind the small worms in Timeless Isle. They pay you exp as l90 elite mobs(each) and are relatively easy to kill, you only need to have a class with a good AoE.

News to me...I'll look into it, thanks!

my 87 is kind of weak though, if I grouped with a 90 who did most of the killing would I still get just as much EXP?

Tamanon

Banned
Eh, I'd suggest just putting the nose to the grindstone and questing. Staying current on your zone helps it go faster. I know I usually do 87 and almost all of 88 in Kun Lai summit just because all the quests are in nice-sized chunks. Plus, there are plenty of rare items to get bonus XP and rare mobs that aren't too tough(except that Mantid guy in the mountains can be a pain). Throw in each dungeon at least once for the great quest XP and you'll be 90 in no time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been away from the game for that extended time, so maybe it happened then, but anyone else notice there's WAY more Shaman than their used to be?

I resubbed to WoW after sometime and just finished installing the game a bit ago. However, my game crashes everytime I try to change the video settings. Have a GTX 770 with the latest Nvidia drivers. Running the repair at the moment as my google fu failed me.

Anyone encounter something similar or have any advice?

StayDead

I decided to go back to Grizzly Hills to farm the turtle as it has the highest drop rate.

It's not going to make a difference is it.

I wish I could get the 90 boost now and commit to the physical CE pre-order. Sucks that I won't be able to get the 90 boost until basically launch day.

zychi

Banned
As far as leveling up goes, don't stay in one place for too long.
Leveling has been streamlined, so you're be busting through areas pretty quickly and quickly outleveling the stuff there.
Additionally, there's other ways to get experience if you get tired of doing quests.

Doing random dungeons isn't a bad idea since they almost always have quests you can pick up at the entrance to get some very nice EXP and gear.

As for more info for Shadow Priests (I don't play one really) or just whatever, here's some links:
howtopriest.com - Good stuff on Priests in general
MMOChampion Priest Forums
r/wow (Reddit)
i'm a day late, but thank you for all of this. i've been read a bunch while i was at work today. really appreciate it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My CM transmog on my hunter almost makes me want to play her more seriously.

Then I realize I'd have to LFR and do even MORE SoO and I lose interest.

Ultratech

I decided to go back to Grizzly Hills to farm the turtle as it has the highest drop rate.

It's not going to make a difference is it.

Probably not. RNG is RNG.

I don't think I've actively tried to farm for it, but since you just get it from pools, just find one of the Fish of the Day spots in Pandaria and fish from the massive amount of pools available.

Pandaren Fishing Charm is also supposed to work on helping you get it, but that just vaguely increases your chances.

i'm a day late, but thank you for all of this. i've been read a bunch while i was at work today. really appreciate it.

No problem!

vilmer_

What's the word on battlegroups now? I was told that they are just using the old datacenters for grouping for a larger pool of players.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I've got a question for you folks. How long before you figure out if a guild is for you or not? I ask because I haven't been able to find a truly stable home, and I've jumped from guild to guild based on my class not necessarily on my experience. Which I don't mind, but I can't seem to find a group for either outfit that I want. I can't find a progressive heroic guild that needs me and gets me in on a large chunk of fights, and I can't find my other option. I can't find a decent group of normal raiders that I have a good time with.

I guess the frustrating thing is just how hard it is to 'come back' this late in the tier. I'm still trying to piece together gear, and I'm running out of options, and I am SO sick of pugging raids.

TheYanger

So I've got a question for you folks. How long before you figure out if a guild is for you or not? I ask because I haven't been able to find a truly stable home, and I've jumped from guild to guild based on my class not necessarily on my experience. Which I don't mind, but I can't seem to find a group for either outfit that I want. I can't find a progressive heroic guild that needs me and gets me in on a large chunk of fights, and I can't find my other option. I can't find a decent group of normal raiders that I have a good time with.

I guess the frustrating thing is just how hard it is to 'come back' this late in the tier. I'm still trying to piece together gear, and I'm running out of options, and I am SO sick of pugging raids.

Eh. That's up to you. I'd definitely try to make friends and be social more than anything. That's the most important thing to finding a guild you like. Stick around after raids, before raids, etc in mumble.

If you want to jump right into a 'heroic' guild that needs you, you can't just guild hop and have little experience.
A) new members/trials/initiates are NEVER going to 'get in' for every fight unless it's a farm mode guild who is solely testing the shit out of apps.
B) Even as a member you can't be too selfish about this unless you've proven yourself to be the ebst of the best in the guild.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No, I definitely try to be social and get ignored 9 times out of 10. That's more of what's bothering me. Try to get people to do things, try to talk, get shit in response.

No, I definitely try to be social and get ignored 9 times out of 10. That's more of what's bothering me. Try to get people to do things, try to talk, get shit in response.

How big are these guilds you are joining? If you're joining small time guilds you're going to have a hard time. Try joining guilds that have raid slots open and then do your social networking with them.

Speaking of which, I still need to do CM Golds. I hate WoW-GAF because they are all filthy horde.

Damn you filthy horde GAF

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Add another thing to my 'haha stuff i have that won't obtainable in WoD'
wowscrnshot_041514_024al7f.jpg

Fuck Hexos. The snake wasn't that bad.

Tamanon

Banned
Garrisons
After rescuing members of the Frostwolf Clan in the Warlords intro quest experience, Durotan will give you a plot of land. This is where you start building your garrison.
After you complete their quests, some questgivers will be available for you to recruit as a follower for your garrison.
You will be redirected to your garrison frequently throughout the leveling experience, as it is integrated into the zones and leveling experience. Every time you go back, you will see familiar faces from your questlines.
Garrisons offer lots of hard choices that give you nice rewards, such as the buildings you choose for your limited plots. Buildings and followers aren't a permanent choice though, so if you change your mind you can change things out.
As you go out and adventure in the world and irritate the enemies in Draenor, they will attack your garrison. You and your followers will need to fend off these attacks.

From dev interview at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CG53OjeStw

Garrisons are sounding cooler and cooler. I'm really looking forward to it.

StayDead

Well back to Pandaria to fish. Got bored of Grizzly Hills pretty fast haha.

I also found out from the help of a fellow angler that you don't even need the mount for the title x_X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom