• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

I've been playing enhancement for over two years and love it. And I didn't think I'd really get into anything other than tanking after doing that for four or five years nearly exclusively prior to starting an enhancement shaman.

With WoD changes this could be different then but the amount of versatility shamans have is pretty great and we do wonderful burst damage which can be really fun. In terms of what I do recall from the WoD alpha patch notes most everything is changing for the better for enhancement shamans so if that's the spec you have in mind things are looking good.

Couple things to note. We've very weapon dependent so if you're having bad luck on weapon drops it can get annoying. Also, and this really fits any dps, it takes some effort to actually play the class well. I've seen some drastic dps differences between myself and other enhance shamans despite being close in ilvl and odds are it's because they're not using every ability as well as they could.

Also, I wish we could solo as well as some other classes but we can still have fairly squishy moments. There's a decent amount of stuff to help keep us alive but I do still miss the survivability of being a tank at time when I'm trying to solo something silly.
Thanks for the info. I definitely think I'm going to boost him. I've never had a max level shaman and I haven't played melee DPS since vanilla, so it'll be a nice change of pace. Even just leveling in the 50's I'm already feeling a certain "rhythm" to enhance DPS. It's fun.

Just need to decide on professions now. Having a 600 enchanter will be nice, but I'm not sure on the second one. Maybe JC or something.

Fished up Old Ironjaw then finally went and got my Kael'thas Sunstrider gold coin to finish off that achievement set.

All that's left is the fishing contest and mr pinchy. BRING ON THE SALTY!

Stupid fucking fountain coins. Must've spent hours in front of the thing and I'm still not done with it. Winning the contest is easy in comparison (have done it multiple times) in that it's not a horrendous RNG timesink.

Thanks for the info. I definitely think I'm going to boost him. I've never had a max level shaman and I haven't played melee DPS since vanilla, so it'll be a nice change of pace. Even just leveling in the 50's I'm already feeling a certain "rhythm" to enhance DPS. It's fun.

Just need to decide on professions now. Having a 600 enchanter will be nice, but I'm not sure on the second one. Maybe JC or something.

Unless you're upper-50s you've yet to get into the actual fun part of being enhance unless they lowered the level you get maelstrom weapon. Once you get maelstrom weapon you lose most any semblance of a simple rotation since you now work with RNG procs. And can heal up MUCH easier. You go from plodding along mindless killing things to being able to run willy-nilly dealing double the damage you were doing and healing up effortlessly. I started my shaman when there were still the large talent trees and I remember feeling godlike once I finally got all three points into maelstrom weapon. It was incredible!

I honestly think that's the biggest factor into what makes enhancement it's only unique feel and it takes far too long to be given to the player. It really should be something given at like 15-20 even if they have to weaken stuff like lightning bolt and have it scale up later on or whatever.

Fjordson

Unless you're upper-50s you've yet to get into the actual fun part of being enhance unless they lowered the level you get maelstrom weapon. Once you get maelstrom weapon you lose most any semblance of a simple rotation since you now work with RNG procs. And can heal up MUCH easier. You go from plodding along mindless killing things to being able to run willy-nilly dealing double the damage you were doing and healing up effortlessly. I started my shaman when there were still the large talent trees and I remember feeling godlike once I finally got all three points into maelstrom weapon. It was incredible!

I honestly think that's the biggest factor into what makes enhancement it's only unique feel and it takes far too long to be given to the player. It really should be something given at like 15-20 even if they have to weaken stuff like lightning bolt and have it scale up later on or whatever.
Totally. Maelstrom weapon is when it became a lot more fun. I got it at level 50 I believe.

Totally. Maelstrom weapon is when it became a lot more fun. I got it at level 50 I believe.

Ah, alright. I thought it was given at 58 or something along those lines. I know that's roughly when I got it with the older leveling system. Actually it was probably level 60, 62, and 64? Gosh, we sure miss that talent system, right?

Fjordson

Ah, alright. I thought it was given at 58 or something along those lines. I know that's roughly when I got it with the older leveling system. Actually it was probably level 60, 62, and 64? Gosh, we sure miss that talent system, right?
Haha, yeah. I was surprised when I got it but it's awesome.

I'm also a max leatherworker on my hunter so I'll be able to make the 561 belt and legs for my shaman =D help me get rid of some of that timeless gear.

ampere

Stupid fucking fountain coins. Must've spent hours in front of the thing and I'm still not done with it. Winning the contest is easy in comparison (have done it multiple times) in that it's not a horrendous RNG timesink.

I used to sit there fishing when waiting for a group to form or a dungeon queue in Wrath and I got them all... it wasn't quick, it just shows how much time I spent waiting for groups lol.

Ultratech

Finally looking through the latest Alpha notes from the other day.

Hunters finally get to tame Hydras (legit)!

Hook Wasps seem interesting. Their Flutter (slows fall speed) should be a neat gimmick.

River Beasts look like meaner hippos. lol

Not so sure about some of the other pet changes, but we'll see how they play out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No one posted the leaked first WoD tier set? It's Paladins
tier17_paladin_m.jpg

Kinda lokos like the Justicar set(tier 4). Makes me think they'll all be like that
Also Stormlash is getting removed entirely. Don't know why, probably Windwalkers bitching about no utility
Also
Ascendance for the Enhancement specialization now changes the Shaman's auto attacks and Stormstrike to deal Wind-based physical damage that bypasses armor.

No one posted the leaked first WoD tier set? It's Paladins

Kinda lokos like the Justicar set(tier 4). Makes me think they'll all be like that
Also Stormlash is getting removed entirely. Don't know why, probably Windwalkers bitching about no utility
Also

Not sure what your comment means regarding monks. Stormlash was just a short damage boost set to be timed with burn phases/heroism/whatever. Not much more to it than that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Windwalkers tended to complain that they brought no utility and no one would bring them to raids(even though they bring the best melee cleave in the game, and I say that as someone who's raided as a WW), so I can imagine this is WoW making all the classes the same and removing a raid-wise damage boost.

Clipse

There are a number of Rogue changes listed under Ability Pruning, but there are a few additional changes to note. The biggest of which is a fundamental change to how Combo Points work. They're now shared across all enemies; you can swap targets and you won't lose your Combo Points.

Combo Points for Rogues are now shared across all targets. You no longer lose your Combo Points when switching targets.
Holy crap.

ampere

Also

Stormlash Totem, along with Skull Banner, is getting removed because CD stacking, and they want the only raid dps CD to be Heroism. Which is also a healing CD and tanking CD nowadays.

The Ascendance change for Enhancement is actually a nerf. It used to be Nature damage which bypassed armor and scaled with mastery. Now it's just physical damage which bypasses armor. They didn't like that the CD scaled with mastery.

Holy crap.

Change also applies to Feral Druids.

It's great and long overdue. Monks essential use a variant of Combo Points that stack on the player, so why couldn't Rogues/Druids?

Touch

Echo of the Elements has been redesigned. The Shaman's spells and abilities have a chance to trigger Echo of the Elements, causing their next short-cooldown spell or ability to not trigger a cooldown.

Elemental: It may be used on Earth Shock, Flame Shock, Frost Shock, Earthquake, or Lava Burst.
Enhancement: It may be used on Earth Shock, Flame Shock, Frost Shock, Fire Nova, Lava Lash, or Stormstrike.
Restoration: It may be used on Healing Rain, Purify Spirit, or Riptide.

Not sure what to think about this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My worry is that all the WoD sets will look BCish. Maybe that's ok if you're a Draenei, but the BC sets looked way too ridiculous to me. Especially the Shaman ones. Didn't look Shamanistic at all. Lightning Ninja is not shamanistic.

I'm sure they'll remake the Demon Stalker set for Hunters. Hopefully we'll finally get some decent looking Monk sets

Because of a bunch of different things this was our first time doing heroics in about 3 weeks. One shot heroic Immerseus, spent about an hour on heroic Protectors because we kept screwing up interrupts and had it glitch one time where Rook's adds weren't sharing health, one shot heroic Norushen, and spent the rest of the night wiping on heroic Sha of Pride. Got 3 upgrades tonight but can only use two because I'd lose my 2 piece. Thinking of trying Arcane since so much of my gear has mastery now.

CassSept

Holy crap at that Azeroth Choppers thread in Gaming. I don't think I ever saw that many people blindly hating on GAF.

Holy crap.

Yeah this is the biggest change for rogues since WotLK. I wonder how it will affect playstyles? Especially with the incoming insane cp generation from FoK

I got a warforged ring tonight. Neat I guess since it's pretty much one of the few possible upgrades left I could get out of normals. All my armor now aside from tier pieces and a neck is warforged. Only missing out on WF weapons. Belt is Ordos WF, but as good if not better than any belt WF or not from normal SoO.

Might be a couple weeks before heroics that actually drop things for me are back in the rotation. This week we only did H: Immerseus due to some internal turmoil/roster issues.

TheYanger

Holy crap at that Azeroth Choppers thread in Gaming. I don't think I ever saw that many people blindly hating on GAF.

Yeah this is the biggest change for rogues since WotLK. I wonder how it will affect playstyles? Especially with the incoming insane cp generation from FoK

Yeah it's pretty hard to resist going off on people and getting a temp ban. I think Blizz has made plenty of mistakes but they're definitely moving in the right direction the past 2 years or so, and wow specifically really has only had one misfire in its entire lifespan. It's comical how much people dislike something they don't play.

Dawg

Is there any optimal battle pets guide or should I just continue battling the trainers and level up my pets here and there?

Ultratech

My worry is that all the WoD sets will look BCish. Maybe that's ok if you're a Draenei, but the BC sets looked way too ridiculous to me. Especially the Shaman ones. Didn't look Shamanistic at all. Lightning Ninja is not shamanistic.

I'm sure they'll remake the Demon Stalker set for Hunters.
Hopefully we'll finally get some decent looking Monk sets

Now I want this so bad. (Granted, I like the Black Arena version of it better look-wise.)

Or they may just redo T6 instead since the Gronns are still around.
(I always thought that T4 and T6 were supposed to be swapped around.)

RPGCrazied

By the way, I heard the only way to use the old models is setting the graphics to low. Whatever happened to the option to just use them, but max everything else out? I don't need to worry, cause I can probably use the new models and use ultra settings. But its got to suck for the people with ancient computers.

1up

By the way, I heard the only way to use the old models is setting the graphics to low. Whatever happened to the option to just use them, but max everything else out? I don't need to worry, cause I can probably use the new models and use ultra settings. But its got to suck for the people with ancient computers.

There is a seperate option to use the older models. You do not have to set all settings to low.

hlpY56f.png

ampere

Yeah it's pretty hard to resist going off on people and getting a temp ban. I think Blizz has made plenty of mistakes but they're definitely moving in the right direction the past 2 years or so, and wow specifically really has only had one misfire in its entire lifespan. It's comical how much people dislike something they don't play.

There's the general dislike of MMOs and then there's the fact that WoW has been going for 10 years which is insane so I think a number of people think it must be about to go F2P or fail somehow because 10 years of that kind of success is impossible.

I don't understand why people felt the need to hate on a silly/fun webseries for the game though lol

There is a seperate option to use the older models. You do not have to set all settings to low.

http://i.imgur.com/hlpY56f.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's a good thing. I personally love the new models and my machine should be able to handle them, but for people who don't like them or have a really old machine this is a good option.

Rizific

need some clarification for a friend who wants to start playing. which expacs does he need to get playing NOW? does cata provide all previous expacs? or does panda? if he pre orders WoD, does that include any expacs?

edit: i bnet shop answered my questions. thanks for playing!

StayDead

need some clarification for a friend who wants to start playing. which expacs does he need to get playing NOW? does cata provide all previous expacs? or does panda? if he pre orders WoD, does that include any expacs?

edit: i bnet shop answered my questions. thanks for playing!

He doesn't need any expansions to start playing now, just the base game.

When he hits 60 he needs TBC, then he needs WoTLK at 70, then he'll need Cataclysm at 80 and finally Pandaria at 85.

TheYanger

He doesn't need any expansions to start playing now, just the base game.

When he hits 60 he needs TBC, then he needs WoTLK at 70, then he'll need Cataclysm at 80 and finally Pandaria at 85.

Nah, the game is usually inclusive of everything btu the latest these days. They don't make you drop 5 seperate purchases

ampere

TBC, WotLK and Cata are all included in the $20 'battle chest' now. The only expac you have to buy is MoP and then WoD obviously

StayDead

I've fallen into a pit and I'm not getting out any time soon.

Decided I'd farm Karazhan for the mount/some transmog gear and from there I've decided to farm the Ashes of Al'ar, the Blue Proto Drake, Sethekk Halls, Sunwell for transmog gear, Magisters Terrace for Orb on my main and a few other little things.

This happened to be at the beginning of Cataclysm as well but back then I was raiding and never really got anywhere with it. This time I'm not so lucky x_x

Rizific

TBC, WotLK and Cata are all included in the $20 'battle chest' now. The only expac you have to buy is MoP and then WoD obviously

for anyone else wondering, this is correct. now my decision is which class to roll? ive got pretty much all boas. leaning towards maybe mage or monk.

Touch

Two stormstrikes or lava lashes in a row sounds pretty great!
I'm just thinking when it procs for ele shamans you are going to be using Lava Burst, right? So it's just going to be use as a mini ascendance...

It cool for a more controlled rng but at the same time it's a little well "meh".

I love my passives on my shaman so hopefully this works out to be on par with the other talents in the tier.

daedalius

I'm just thinking when it procs for ele shamans you are going to be using Lava Burst, right? So it's just going to be use as a mini ascendance...

It cool for a more controlled rng but at the same time it's a little well "meh".

I love my passives on my shaman so hopefully this works out to be on par with the other talents in the tier.

I don't know, seems much cooler than double lightning bilts

Holy shit there are a lot of abilities and cool downs for enhance shamans. My bars are completely filled.

Yeah, I definitely feel like I have more possible things to use as enhance than when I played prot pally all that time.

I'd suggest an add on for totems. I use FloTotemBar but I'm sure there's others.

The other thing I do, that I doubt too many others worry about, is using the second action bar that's hidden behind your main one. What do they call that bar? Anyhow, I set it with mostly duplicate rotation abilities but make it more AoE focused in a couple spots so Fire Nova and Chain Lightning are easily within finger reach. I then just hold shift and use the scroll wheel on the mouse to toggle between the two bars so I can very quickly go from a more single-target focused bar to AoE without having to think about it. It boosted my dps quite a bit by being able to change my focus mid-fight when things change with adds and such.

But I also stick to Blizzard action bars so if you have adds on with a bunch of different stuff and you keybind 40 abilities or whatever then you're likely already fine. I mainly just use 1-6 so having the action bar easily swapped is convenient for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, I'm starting to feel the end of expansion boredom even though I barely played much of MoP beyond the last few months. I don't really care much about alts and I've never gotten that hooked on pvp, so I'm at the point that I do dailies on my Shaman, and now all I have left is Heroic Raiding, Cloak grind(on the last part), Trying to get SoO achievements which I'd rather not pug, and... I guess that's it? Already finished Brawler and CM.

Fjordson

Yeah, I definitely feel like I have more possible things to use as enhance than when I played prot pally all that time.

I'd suggest an add on for totems. I use FloTotemBar but I'm sure there's others.

The other thing I do, that I doubt too many others worry about, is using the second action bar that's hidden behind your main one. What do they call that bar? Anyhow, I set it with mostly duplicate rotation abilities but make it more AoE focused in a couple spots so Fire Nova and Chain Lightning are easily within finger reach. I then just hold shift and use the scroll wheel on the mouse to toggle between the two bars so I can very quickly go from a more single-target focused bar to AoE without having to think about it. It boosted my dps quite a bit by being able to change my focus mid-fight when things change with adds and such.

But I also stick to Blizzard action bars so if you have adds on with a bunch of different stuff and you keybind 40 abilities or whatever then you're likely already fine. I mainly just use 1-6 so having the action bar easily swapped is convenient for me.
There are definitely more than on my hunter. I have some mouse buttons that I'm not using so I'll have to get those binds going for this character I guess.

And some of the abilities seem sort of worthless. Like will I ever use any weapon enchants other than Windfury and Flametonge?

JCizzle

Boredom is setting in for me only because Draenor is so damn far off. Pretty depressing to finally get confirmation that we have SOO *again* for 12+ months. I love Blizz, but that shit is inexcusable! Will probably get my rogue LFR geared and take off a few months to play other shit for a change.

There are definitely more than on my hunter. I have some mouse buttons that I'm not using so I'll have to get those binds going for this character I guess.

And some of the abilities seem sort of worthless. Like will I ever use any weapon enchants other than Windfury and Flametonge?

Frost Shock is meant for PVP and some PVP gear bonuses reference it but I believe it's set to be removed in the latest WoD alpha patch notes. Rockbiter is also getting removed but I have had to use it on a very rare occasion. This was helping my guild pull down drake trash before Ultraxion and then anytime I pick up the slack acting as a bad tank when shit gets bad. Typically I'm not looking to quickly change my enchants but if a fight looks like I'll need to tank for a prolonged period of time I'll try to get rockbiter on. Is the last one earth or something? I don't have that one on any action bars simply because it's purely meant for resto. I honestly can't recall what it does but I know it's resto related.

There are definitely a few abilities that I typically don't bother remembering I have. Bind elemental? I've used it but so rarely that it's like an, "Oh yeah!" thing when it actually comes to mind. Honestly Healing Rain is one I could probably remove from an action bar because it's rare that I'd need to cast it. Perhaps I should cast it more but since I throw out the other heal (greater heal something or other) quickly with maelstrom procs I'm not usually thinking about a healing rain placement. I did use it on the cloudserpent boss in ToES during the healing phase to help the healers out.

Those are probably my least used abilities as a non-PVPing enhance shaman. I guess I'd really have to dig through them to see if there's others I'm forgetting.

Oh, and Far Sight. Not sure if I've ever cast it.

Fjordson

Frost Shock is meant for PVP and some PVP gear bonuses reference it but I believe it's set to be removed in the latest WoD alpha patch notes. Rockbiter is also getting removed but I have had to use it on a very rare occasion. This was helping my guild pull down drake trash before Ultraxion and then anytime I pick up the slack acting as a bad tank when shit gets bad. Typically I'm not looking to quickly change my enchants but if a fight looks like I'll need to tank for a prolonged period of time I'll try to get rockbiter on. Is the last one earth or something? I don't have that one on any action bars simply because it's purely meant for resto. I honestly can't recall what it does but I know it's resto related.

There are definitely a few abilities that I typically don't bother remembering I have. Bind elemental? I've used it but so rarely that it's like an, "Oh yeah!" thing when it actually comes to mind. Honestly Healing Rain is one I could probably remove from an action bar because it's rare that I'd need to cast it. Perhaps I should cast it more but since I throw out the other heal (greater heal something or other) quickly with maelstrom procs I'm not usually thinking about a healing rain placement. I did use it on the cloudserpent boss in ToES during the healing phase to help the healers out.

Those are probably my least used abilities as a non-PVPing enhance shaman. I guess I'd really have to dig through them to see if there's others I'm forgetting.

Oh, and Far Sight. Not sure if I've ever cast it.
Yeah, some of the healing things seem a bit weird as a damage dealing spec. Though I've seen blue posts talking about cutting down ability bloat and making specs more focused so I'm guessing enhance will be cleaned up a bit in WoD.

Also, I have unleashed elements for my sixth tier ability. I know that, if possible, you should only refresh flame shock when you have the buff from unleashed elements, but I don't need to wait for the flame shock cooldown to use unleashed elements right? I should just use that as soon as it's off cooldown since I think it gives you a windfury buff or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom