• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I knew it would be farm 2.0 as soon as they announced it. If it was anything close to proper housing, they would have just called it 'player housing.'

Can't say I'm that disappointed though. I've never gotten the appeal of player housing. Preferred the simpler stuff like PSO had where it was just a room where you could put up statues based on your accomplishments. And even then, I rarely had a reason to ever go in there unlike the interior of your ship in SWTOR. It was just always out of the way, so it wasn't worth it to me.

edit: Since I got my Kor'kron transmog, I now use my Toxic Wasteling and renamed it 'Foul Slime' to fuck with people. which is extra awesome because it grows whenever there's a nearby critter for it to eat

Berordn

Fuck this shit. They're going back on earlier xpacs with Atonement and I hate it. I had little reason or benefit to use it then.

Not at all a fan of the active mana changes, if only because it seems contradictory to the idea that healers should be spending all their time healing. I get that it's supposed to be a tradeoff, but every implementation of it seems really bad.

Only shitty orc buildings.

Only in that frostfire wasteland place.

I honestly couldn't care less about garrisons anymore. GG blizz.

What a wasted opportunity... At least alliance get shadowmoon...

Eh, They admitted that the BGs and valor quests were pretty bullshit. The rest really wasn't bad. You can have a cloak now in like less than 2 months, including test of valor in its nerfed form.

But it's not fun. Even ignoring the collectable/valor parts.

The legendary daggers quest was very fun, the quests you had to do between each collectibles phase were a great time. The shadowmourne quest was also pretty fun, the stuff you had to do on raid bosses was great, the rp was also p decent. From what I've seen, the legendary staff quest was fun as well.

This cape one was not fun at all, it was boring, obviously the collecting was boring, but even the quests between were boring, the rp was boring, and you didn't have to do anything cool on raid bosses, doing the 2 bgs was actually the funnest part of the quest, that's how bad it was.

They've gone backwards in every way possible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dwarven architecture is the best. And this is coming from someone who lives and loves Orcs above all others.

Ironforge blew me away the first time I saw it. Still better looking than redone SW and Org.

Berordn

Dwarven architecture is the best. And this is coming from someone who lives and loves Orcs above all others.

Ironforge blew me away the first time I saw it. Still better looking than redone SW and Org.

The highlands dwarf stuff is pretty ace, too.

twilightfzktq.jpg

Cata actually had a lot of cool new building themes, it's too bad the only thing they decided to take from it was the really meh Goblin stuff.

I was clearly talking about the Horde, wolf-scum.

Mud Orc > Iron Orc

ampere

Not at all a fan of the active mana changes, if only because it seems contradictory to the idea that healers should be spending all their time healing. I get that it's supposed to be a tradeoff, but every implementation of it seems really bad.

The idea behind 'active mana regen' is cool, but it needs a lot of work.

Big question will be 'is it fun?' Active mitigation tanking is very fun, but active mana regen might not be.

I'm glad the lightning bolt to mana thing is back for resto baseline.

That thing is the only reason I actually somewhat enjoyed being forced to heal hc dragon soul when our 2nd healer bailed even though I hate healing.

Berordn

let's ask mages how much fun it is to press a button to regen mana. The Innervate change is garbage.

Having to waste HoPo on mana is kinda awful too if we're going to be in a setting where HoTs are rarely overhealing. Chakra dancing probably isn't going to be very fun either.

I really don't like any of these, though I can at least understand a scenario where Chastise, Telluric Currents and CJL can be useful by coordinating with other healers so you can have a regen period. Holy Pallies and Disc Priests are kinda SoL on that - Innervate is especially egregious since it doesn't let you do anything.

Every change they've announced kind of just makes me want to reroll Holy Priest because they seem to keep getting the best deal out of this paradigm shift so far.

Robin64

Post-Wrath Orc buildings are indeed pretty cool, but I bet we'll not being seeing much of that in our Garrison. Likely mostly timber.

Firstly, I feel like our Horde would want to go back to being "classic" to differentiate from this new Iron Horde threat.

Secondly, we've seen the stables.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What's the quickest/easiest way to get some greater charm of fortunes?

I'm back to running the world bosses weekly on all my alts.

ampere

Innervate is especially egregious since it doesn't let you do anything.

You can't spend mana on heals, you can use OoC procs and cast Wrath for dps. HotW removes the mana cost of Wrath when activated

So it's not "nothing", but I'm not really defending it since I think the mechanic needs a lot of work

Berordn

You can't spend mana on heals, you can use OoC procs and cast Wrath for dps. HotW removes the mana cost of Wrath when activated

So it's not "nothing", but I'm not really defending it since I think the mechanic needs a lot of work

OoC procs coming from a heal and HotW being tied to an 8 minute talent don't really give you that many options, but it at least is something.

We'll have to see, but I'm rapidly losing confidence that they learned anything from Cata.

Berordn

Blizzard will re-work it AGAIN in the next expansion too. That's how they roll.

But by the end of WoD it's going to be nigh indistinguishable from the end of MoP too. This little healer Merry-Go-Round is getting way tiring, they really just ought to start embracing the old model instead of gutting it every time.

StMeph

Troves of the Thunder King can get you a full stack of them in relatively short time, but you do have to hunt for the keys.

"hunt for the keys" is killing like... 10 mobs on Isle of Thunder. The first one each week usually drops absurdly quickly.

Loxley

The latest issue of Empire Magazine has the first photo from the set of the Warcraft movie - I won't post it since right now only scans of it are available. But it features Duncan Jones looking at some monitors, and on the monitors you can see too humans standing in what looks like an Alliance throne room with the classic Lions-head Alliance flag in the background.

The latest issue of Empire Magazine has the first photo from the set of the Warcraft movie - I won't post it since right now only scans of it are available. But it features Duncan Jones looking at some monitors, and on the monitors you can see too humans standing in what looks like an Alliance throne room with the classic Lions-head Alliance flag in the background.

bolvar's throne room or varian's? Or is it lordaeron's?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Once you get past the awesomeness of hyjal fist weapons, you realize WoW fist weapon designs are really lacking. I hope they fix that in WoD, but the datamined models look pretty boring.

I'm sure we'll get a new Bladefist model from Kargath. Maybe some Arrakoa style claws?

CassSept

Ahhh, expansion beta. That time when every class gets humongous walls of texts listing changes to their class while rogue get a tweak to some cooldown that affects one spec every 3 builds.

mclem

Ahhh, expansion beta. That time when every class gets humongous walls of texts listing changes to their class while rogue get a tweak to some cooldown that affects one spec every 3 builds.

Rogues get a one-liner that nevertheless changes everything.

Combo Points for Rogues are now shared across all targets. You no longer lose your Combo Points when switching targets.

Dawg

Rogues get a one-liner that nevertheless changes everything.

While the combo change will change how rogues play (looking forward to it!), it's always been funny to see huge walls of text with class changes for every class except rogues.

And this has been happening since TBC. It's like Blizzard themselves can't decide what to do with the class. It's like they forgot it exists and then the new expansion is coming and they're like "aww, shit... rogues. Throw in a couple of tweaks disguised as actual changes, maybe they won't notice."

It's not even a surprise rogue is the least played class. It'll always be my main though.

StayDead

While the combo change will change how rogues play (looking forward to it!), it's always been funny to see huge walls of text with class changes for every class except rogues.

And this has been happening since TBC. It's like Blizzard themselves can't decide what to do with the class. It's like they forgot it exists and then the new expansion is coming and they're like "aww, shit... rogues. Throw in a couple of tweaks disguised as actual changes, maybe they won't notice."

It's not even a surprise rogue is the least played class. It'll always be my main though.

You shoud've tried maining a druid since TBC. Rogues get no changes, druids get ALL the changes. I've been resto for so long and now I'm balance, but every single patch I'd have to change what I was doing and it was a constant battle to work out what was good and what wasn't since everything changed so much.

Our set bonuses have always been terrible as well x_x

Dawg

You shoud've tried maining a druid since TBC. Rogues get no changes, druids get ALL the changes. I've been resto for so long and now I'm balance, but every single patch I'd have to change what I was doing and it was a constant battle to work out what was good and what wasn't since everything changed so much.

Haha, I remember that because our druids kept complaining about it back in the day :) I've never played a druid, but it sounded like a real hassle.

Some class changes can be funny though... remember that one time (I think it was TBC) when Blizzard suddenly buffed paladin DPS? Every single one of them was doing PvP the moment it hit live and they were so OP. Didn't take that long until a nerf though :p

StayDead

Haha, I remember that because our druids kept complaining about it back in the day :) I've never played a druid, but it sounded like a real hassle.

Some class changes can be funny though... remember that one time (I think it was TBC) when Blizzard suddenly buffed paladin DPS? Every single one of them was doing PvP the moment it hit live and they were so OP. Didn't take that long until a nerf though :p

Druids got the most changes but Paladins especially in TBC went from being bad to amazing and back again. I'm sure ghostcrawlers wife played ret paladin since they balance wise were the funniest to watch. I almost feel sorry for paladins, or atleast I did until Cataclysm where every fight favoured paladin healers x_x

mclem

We seem to have settled for now, but Paladins had a similarly turbulent development. I think Mists is the first expansion where we play fundamentally the same to how we did before.

Druids got the most changes but Paladins especially in TBC went from being bad to amazing and back again. I'm sure ghostcrawlers wife played ret paladin since they balance wise were the funniest to watch. I almost feel sorry for paladins, or atleast I did until Cataclysm where every fight favoured paladin healers x_x

Back when Ghostcrawler announced he was leaving, there was quite an interesting thread over on Maintankadin about how things changed for us under him. It was *so* bad beforehand, and while there were missteps, things are so much better now.

CassSept

Back when Ghostcrawler announced he was leaving, there was quite an interesting thread over on Maintankadin about how things changed for us under him. It was *so* bad beforehand, and while there were missteps, things are so much better now.

Hah yeah, under GC tankadins were really turned around. In TBC prot paladins were useful for AoE tanking at best, which limited them to, ummm, heroics and Hyjal trash? I guess being considered a necessity by many was something, but it was still being tank for trash packs. On the other hand, WotLK tankadins were just gloriously op at times. It eventually settled down but Paladins were buffed the most of all classes in WotLK, by far.

StayDead

Hah yeah, under GC tankadins were really turned around. In TBC prot paladins were useful for AoE tanking at best, which limited them to, ummm, heroics and Hyjal trash? I guess being considered a necessity by many was something, but it was still being tank for trash packs. On the other hand, WotLK tankadins were just gloriously op at times. It eventually settled down but Paladins were buffed the most of all classes in WotLK, by far.

I think I preffered it when classes had seperate roles. Druids were mainly raid healers, paladins were tank healers. Druid tanks were single target and paladins were aoe tanks. Now it somewhat feels like the classes are melding together in terms of utility. Being a resto druid in TBC I felt like I had a place, in WoTLK same again but as it went into Cataclysm it felt like my job was done by preists but better.

It reminds me of when I used to main mage and I was the king of AOE, then a patch came along in TBC which gave warlocks seed of corruption or whatever it was and all of a sudden they out damaged me on AOE with a single spell. I felt really annoyed by that since AOE was one of the most fun things of being a mage.

frequency

I'm generally happy with the way Rogues are. The combo point change is all I really needed.

I don't want a class overhaul that changes things significantly like they have done with other classes.

It doesn't matter that Rogues are least played. It doesn't mean anything. Some class has to be least played.
Not many changes being made to Rogue to me means it's in a pretty good spot overall and always has been. It doesn't mean that Blizzard doesn't care about this one class. It doesn't get many changes because it doesn't need many changes.

Once you get past the awesomeness of hyjal fist weapons, you realize WoW fist weapon designs are really lacking. I hope they fix that in WoD, but the datamined models look pretty boring.

All 3 of the ToT ones look pretty awesome.

Especially the spinny multiboss and Troll council caster ones.

I always prefered the A'lar ones to the hyjal ones anyways.

I prefer axes as enhance anyways, really would kill to be able to T mog first weapons to axes.

Dawg

I'm generally happy with the way Rogues are. The combo point change is all I really needed.

I don't want a class overhaul that changes things significantly like they have done with other classes.

It doesn't matter that Rogues are least played. It doesn't mean anything. Some class has to be least played.

I kinda like playing an unpopular class like rogues. Being the only rogue in an entire raid feels good.

And yes, it doesn't really matter in the end. I like playing my rogue and that is all that counts. I wouldn't want them to change too much anyway, I might like the class less with certain changes.

I wonder what caused people to stop playing their rogue though. Used to be quite a popular class back in the day, but these days I don't see that much rogues. Most of them do PvP I guess.

Oh yeah, I also hate being a rogue during Pilgrim's Bounty.

Khezu

I think I preffered it when classes had seperate roles. Druids were mainly raid healers, paladins were tank healers. Druid tanks were single target and paladins were aoe tanks. Now it somewhat feels like the classes are melding together in terms of utility. Being a resto druid in TBC I felt like I had a place, in WoTLK same again but as it went into Cataclysm it felt like my job was done by preists but better.

It reminds me of when I used to main mage and I was the king of AOE, then a patch came along in TBC which gave warlocks seed of corruption or whatever it was and all of a sudden they out damaged me on AOE with a single spell. I felt really annoyed by that since AOE was one of the most fun things of being a mage.

I haven't really played my Mage seriously in 5 years and play my Warlock a lot more.

But even after all this time, I still have pent up rage about Warlocks and Seed of Corruption.

CassSept

Well other classes became more roguish. Rogue playstyle was very ahead of it's time and I'm honest. Dynamic, unique, very situational, with a twist in the form of rapidly regenerating energy meter and combo points affecting playstyle. Since then however designers took a few pages from rogue's book, rogue-ized non-caster classes. Rogues had barely any changes for the last 6 years, while other classes attained more dynamic playstyles, while also being much more flashy than rogues ever were.

It's not really surprising the popularity is dropping, but heck, I still love my rogue.

frequency

I kinda like playing an unpopular class like rogues. Being the only rogue in an entire raid feels good.

And yes, it doesn't really matter in the end. I like playing my rogue and that is all that counts. I wouldn't want them to change too much anyway, I might like the class less with certain changes.

I wonder what caused people to stop playing their rogue though. Used to be quite a popular class back in the day, but these days I don't see that much rogues. Most of them do PvP I guess.

Oh yeah, I also hate being a rogue during Pilgrim's Bounty.

I'd have to guess the introduction of Resilience, World PvP mostly going away, locked doors and traps in raid environments not being a thing anymore, and other classes got to be more aesthetically pleasing over time but Rogue is pretty much the same low key animations and effects (which I personally prefer over having fireworks with every hit).

I think Death Knights took a big hit in population over time too and Warlocks have been up and down.

Rogue is the only class I enjoy though so I'd be scared if anything major were to change. I know a lot of people hate energy as a mechanic but I really love it as Assassination. I dislike the spammy press a button every GCD play style of basically all the other classes/specs.

mclem

If they've done the balancing job right - which is variable but tending to be the case of late - then yes, your job may now be done by priests, but whether it's done better is down to you.

The persistent attitude that niches for people had to be preserved was causing significant issues with balance for average guilds, who don't necessarily have the ability to pick-and-choose who to bring depending on demand. Either you build an encounter to cater to that niche and screw over guilds who don't have people who can fill that role, or you build one that doesn't cater to that niche and screw over the players who adopt that role.

Better to minimise niches for the most part, and build encounters such that any healer can be effective. Downside is that gives you - as a designer - more workload in ensuring they're distinct but well-balanced, but on the plus side, it means guilds don't have to be strict about group makeup and players can find a place on fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom