• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCizzle

I use oQueue. Plenty of Flex raids that only need 520-530s, which is more than doable through LFR gear alone, without adding Celestials or PvP 550 gear.

This will only serve to push more bad players into flex who currently just LFR and don't know what OQ even is. It's going to dilute the overall quality of players and lead to the exact same issues people have with LFR over time. At the end of the day, it's a PUG tool and content needs to be tailored for those groups. It's going to end up being a cluster (IMO).

Dawg

I love the xrealm stuff, there's 0 horde on Silvermoon and since it's a PvE server (I used to play on PvP) if I ever come across a hordie in lower level areas or even alliance from other servers I'll always fly down and /greet them before running off happy knowing I hopefully made someone a little bit happier :>

You're lucky, most of the Alliance I see are from Stormscale and they ALWAYS attack me. And I swear to god, they wait before I engage a creature before they attack me just so I have an extra handicap.

At this point, I have my main stationed in the same zone I level my alt. I instantly unleash hell upon every alliance in the zone the moment one kills me.

Besides a couple early spots in Northrend, it's largely the same but with humans instead of orcs.

I feel refreshing doing quests in theramore feels like a completely new faction before jugdment day and the way how the alliance killed the ogres in the swamp is sad, I really helped those guys to survive then see this.

PatDH

Sweet after last night all I need is my chest, shoulders, necklace, gloves, legs & a ring then ill have full Prideful.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I need to turn off recount for 5-mans. Fights never last long enough for my procs to do anything, and it just makes my DPS e-peen frown

Killed Galakras. Coalesced Turmoil was Gold. Extra loot roll was Gold. FFFFFUUUUU--

3 weeks in a row of heroic immerseus and heroic protectors not giving me anything with bonus rolls. Get used to it.

Windam

Scaley member
I need to turn off recount for 5-mans. Fights never last long enough for my procs to do anything, and it just makes my DPS e-peen frown

3 weeks in a row of heroic immerseus and heroic protectors not giving me anything with bonus rolls. Get used to it.

Fuck. :'(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why is the Son of Galleon saddle, as current content, drop rate so fucking low? It's not a unique model. It's not like 'oh shit they got that mount' like Mimmiron.

Only reason I want it is because it matches my female Pandaren in the CM gear transmog.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Leveling this priest, I can see why they make so much money with boosting levels. I don't get another ability until 21, and I'm currently 13... And the ability is Rez.

1up

Sweet after last night all I need is my chest, shoulders, necklace, gloves, legs & a ring then ill have full Prideful.

I finally hit 1900 in RBGs. I was stuck at 1600-1700 for so long before I found a couple of decent guys in oqueue that knew what they were doing and were looking for a good hunter.

Only need gloves and 1 trinket for full prideful now. RBG conquest cap is so much higher then arena.

ampere

The leveling perks they're doing in WoD is something I've been wanting for lower levels.

Would be neat, just to have something to look forward to at low levels.

They did say there are a plans to restructure what levels abilities are learned to smooth the leveling flow, but that it won't happen until later in beta.

I'm fine with them keeping tier gear but without set bonuses in LFR. Love it for transmog and the tier gear always looks nifty. Removing tier gear entirely from LFR? WoW lost yet another customer.

Edit: Not a rage quit, though. I came back after an absence for Dragon Soul specifically because I could get tier gear via LFR, and stayed through Mists for that reason. It is pretty much the only goal I have in game, collecting a complete set of each tier (not all the difficulty levels, just one difficulty level). With the exception of a couple of pieces from early-Cataclysm I have it all, and was very much looking forward to doing more in WoD. The other features, and returning to Outland, really don't interest me.

I'm pretty much with you there. My guild basically died, so I was able to do LFR to get enough gear to run pugs. Now since it appears that isn't going to work, I'm not sure why I would keep playing. I'm not sure if my guild is going to reform for WoD so this might end up being the final nail in the coffin for me as far as wow goes. This is disappointing.

lfrdrunkies.png

Found on my guild's forums (which was found on the site written on the image presumably).

StMeph

I'm pretty much with you there. My guild basically died, so I was able to do LFR to get enough gear to run pugs. Now since it appears that isn't going to work, I'm not sure why I would keep playing. I'm not sure if my guild is going to reform for WoD so this might end up being the final nail in the coffin for me as far as wow goes. This is disappointing.

Why would LFR gear not still be something useful to additionally gear for Flex/Normal PUGs in WoD?

Either:
1) LFR drops ilevel higher than Heroic Dungeons, enabling you to PUG for Flex
or
2) LFR ilevel is the same as Heroic Dungeons, in which case one still gears up faster by having an additional source of gear, but then there is no difference coming out of them than anyone else for PUGs

How would it "not work"?

Why would LFR gear not still be something useful to additionally gear for Flex/Normal PUGs in WoD?

Either:
1) LFR drops ilevel higher than Heroic Dungeons, enabling you to PUG for Flex
or
2) LFR ilevel is the same as Heroic Dungeons, in which case one still gears up faster by having an additional source of gear, but then there is no difference coming out of them than anyone else for PUGs

How would it "not work"?

I was using LFR gear to get into regular raids after my gear died and using that as the upgrade path. I'm reading all this on my phone so perhaps I misunderstood something. It looked like tier gear is being completely removed and the only way to really get into gear that would get you raiding is to run normal or flex due to the changes to LFR as the LFR gear will be like 5 man dungeon gear. Is that not correct?

Leveling this priest, I can see why they make so much money with boosting levels. I don't get another ability until 21, and I'm currently 13... And the ability is Rez.

You get one at 15, just like every class.

At the very least the ability curve is vastly better than what it was prior to the revamp in Cataclysm.

StayDead

When I did my paladin 0-60 in 21 hours I although I liked not having to go back to town every 2 levels, especially now it's so fast, but I dunno it kinda felt like some of the experience was removed. There was literally no reason for me to ever go back to a city.

When I did my paladin 0-60 in 21 hours I although I liked not having to go back to town every 2 levels, especially now it's so fast, but I dunno it kinda felt like some of the experience was removed. There was literally no reason for me to ever go back to a city.

I really, really miss classes quests, they were reduced to a two quests at 15 and 30 I think

ampere

I really, really miss classes quests, they were reduced to a two quests at 15 and 30 I think

I had a lot of fun with the Draenei Shaman class quests in BC. Getting my totems and meeting the elementals... was really neat. Kept the totems in my bags for a long time, but eventually deleted them :'(

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I had a lot of fun with the Draenei Shaman class quests in BC. Getting my totems and meeting the elementals... was really neat. Kept the totems in my bags for a long time, but eventually deleted them :'(
Ah, the totem quests were so fun. I even liked the overly convoluted Horde quest chain from way back in Vanilla.

I feel like traversing the world isn't a thing anymore. It's all about instant travel, now... everything feels streamlined.

Also, I got unbanned. Woo!

mclem

I was using LFR gear to get into regular raids after my gear died and using that as the upgrade path. I'm reading all this on my phone so perhaps I misunderstood something. It looked like tier gear is being completely removed and the only way to really get into gear that would get you raiding is to run normal or flex due to the changes to LFR as the LFR gear will be like 5 man dungeon gear. Is that not correct?

In the first tier, that's likely to be correct. However, in the first tier, 5-man dungeon gear is what gets you raiding. LFR would be fine.

And as the tiers increase, LFR would similarly increase to being an entry-level gearset for that tier.

Anyone else see the "Mount 2.0" forum post on MMO Champion? Pretty neat ideas, IMO.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1507012-Mount-2-0-(Mount-Revamp-Fan-Made-Inf ographic-inside!)
Nice ideas... for a different game. It gives mounts a purpose beyond simply being a fast way to get from A to B, but would absolutely have to have content designed with that in mind.

It doesn't strike me as something that can be bolted on to an existing established game.

Anyone else see the "Mount 2.0" forum post on MMO Champion? Pretty neat ideas, IMO.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1507012-Mount-2-0-(Mount-Revamp-Fan-Made-Inf ographic-inside!)

I don't like the idea that a mount would live on after its rider died to fight or heal or revive. I avoid pet classes and it would be weird to have to 'respec' mounts with new abilities rather than just choose amongst the 2-3 I already have with useful features like the yak/mammoth/water strider trio that dominates presently. The idea that mounts would have unique abilities would also blur the line that the pet store hasn't crossed yet, locking useful, non-cosmetic bonuses behind a paywall.

Ultratech

Nice ideas... for a different game. It gives mounts a purpose beyond simply being a fast way to get from A to B, but would absolutely have to have content designed with that in mind.

It doesn't strike me as something that can be bolted on to an existing established game.

Yeah, I feel sorta similar.

Pretty neat ideas, but I don't think they could currently implement it into the game as-is.

That and some abilities would obviously be more powerful than others I imagine.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

So how would that be different, or at a disadvantage? It's not like people are getting gear from somewhere else thats a better step-stone into raiding.

You're acting like they're removing LFR gear just for you or something. Look at the bigger picture.

You basically said the only way to get raid gear, to get into raiding...is to raid.

That's correct I suppose.

Ding 100! -> 5 mans -> Heroic 5 mans/LFR -> Normal(flex) -> Heroic(flex) ->Mythic(20 man)

It's super easy.

So I'm gonna have made something like 4.5k off fish today selling direct to my guild for noodle cart stuffs. Could make more off AH, but that takes more time and is more volatile.

Not bad though for a few hours worth of mindless clicking while watching The West Wing.

ampere

Guys this is why there's not gonna be flying.

And the hardcore Ashran PvP.

Shud be gud.

Yeah, as controversial as it is I am ALL about the no flying. It just 'breaks' travel too much. I mean we already have a bunch of teleport spells anyway.

While they have some neat ideas, I think the existence of like 300 some mounts is involved enough without mount perks, varying speeds, leveling.... It's just not something I think would help the game, just needlessly complicate something that is fine as it is.

So how would that be different, or at a disadvantage? It's not like people are getting gear from somewhere else thats a better step-stone into raiding.

You're acting like they're removing LFR gear just for you or something. Look at the bigger picture.

You basically said the only way to get raid gear, to get into raiding...is to raid.

That's correct I suppose.

Ding 100! -> 5 mans -> Heroic 5 mans/LFR -> Normal(flex) -> Heroic(flex) ->Mythic(20 man)

It's super easy.

At this point the only type of raiding I have time for is LFR. Same for my wife. My schedule consists of working 60+ hours a week, spending time with my family, and trying to enjoy what little time I have for myself. So being able to queue up for LFR and get some meaningful rewards through LFR is really the only chance I have at any sort of progression and experiencing content. I can't commit to raiding 2-4 nights a week, that's just not how my life works, but LFR allowed me to enjoy content that would otherwise be walled off to me, AND I got the same stuff, just lower levels and different colors. It also leaves me in a place where if I can get into a regular pug run I'm not getting assaulted by bullshit like "L2P" because I've at least experiences a version of those bosses before.

If LFR and 5mans spit out the same gear then you can bet that people will avoid lfr and do 5 mans. Less hassle, less randoms, etc. Which takes away chances for someone like me being able to see any content past 5 mans. I know that offends some hardcore people who feel like people who don't play 40 hours a week shouldn't be able to see anything, but they can eat a dick.

What kills me about this whole thing is that people who have regular access to a guild are acting like LFR is something they have to do and I feel like that is why LFR is essentially being marginalized. I saw this same bullshit with LK when people were like "OMFG 10 MAN AND 25 MAN ARE SEPERATE LOCK OUTS BLIZZARD IS MAKING ME RUN BOTH!" and they weren't. People put themselves on the gear treadmill. There's nothing wrong with giving the player populace as many opportunities to move forward as possible and part of those choices were LFR. This really strikes me as blizzard not knowing how to fix LFR, and therefore they're marginalizing it. Another poster mentioned that this is like taking something away and I agree.

*edit* I read some where else that there is going to be a group finder for flex. Is that true? If it is, then that's essentially going to replace LFR and that doesn't bother me.

Peachpies

they haven't release any specific details other than that they are going to have a completely new group finder in warlords, though you can probably expect it to draw heavily from how oque and openraid work, and it will be crossrealm.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
At this point the only type of raiding I have time for is LFR. Same for my wife. My schedule consists of working 60+ hours a week, spending time with my family, and trying to enjoy what little time I have for myself. So being able to queue up for LFR and get some meaningful rewards through LFR is really the only chance I have at any sort of progression and experiencing content. I can't commit to raiding 2-4 nights a week, that's just not how my life works, but LFR allowed me to enjoy content that would otherwise be walled off to me, AND I got the same stuff, just lower levels and different colors. It also leaves me in a place where if I can get into a regular pug run I'm not getting assaulted by bullshit like "L2P" because I've at least experiences a version of those bosses before.

If LFR and 5mans spit out the same gear then you can bet that people will avoid lfr and do 5 mans. Less hassle, less randoms, etc. Which takes away chances for someone like me being able to see any content past 5 mans. I know that offends some hardcore people who feel like people who don't play 40 hours a week shouldn't be able to see anything, but they can eat a dick.

What kills me about this whole thing is that people who have regular access to a guild are acting like LFR is something they have to do and I feel like that is why LFR is essentially being marginalized. I saw this same bullshit with LK when people were like "OMFG 10 MAN AND 25 MAN ARE SEPERATE LOCK OUTS BLIZZARD IS MAKING ME RUN BOTH!" and they weren't. People put themselves on the gear treadmill. There's nothing wrong with giving the player populace as many opportunities to move forward as possible and part of those choices were LFR. This really strikes me as blizzard not knowing how to fix LFR, and therefore they're marginalizing it. Another poster mentioned that this is like taking something away and I agree.

*edit* I read some where else that there is going to be a group finder for flex. Is that true? If it is, then that's essentially going to replace LFR and that doesn't bother me.

The group finder is just a built-in oQueue as far as anyone can tell. It's basically in the game already in the form of an addon. The best it'll do is expand the user-pool, but that's a double edged sword for elitism and bad people just wanting to be carried.

LFR is still gonna be there, and if I were a betting man I'd say they may put some rewards over 5-man heroics in there if not for 6.0 then they might in 6.2. The boss fights will still be the same, and there will be less waiting around in queues because it'll be flex-mode now.

As for what you're essentially saying: "I don't have enough time but I want the same rewards as those no-life nerds who can play all day" I'm guessing this is going to be the vocal minorities battle cry in the coming months when they realize what is happening to them. But I don't really see this changing especially since they're announcing it so far ahead of WoDs release date, this kinda makes me feel like they're really committed to bringing back the hardcore feeling of Burning Crusade while we're revisiting Draenor. The decisions already been set in stone, there isn't any LFR set of tier in the game files, they've already invested in modeling seperate LFR gearsets.

Filling in the slots for LFR especially since it gives you viable gear ahead of normal raid drops with unique loot is most definitely a "must-have" for any raid group. They don't really "need" to do LFR, you're right. But they also don't really "need" to raid at all. The trinket procs and set bonuses are the big things they're taking away, and they're the big things that people are looking for from LFR, especially since tier tokens are shared and slow for a raid group to get. If anything they're removing a step in the progression, and making in an option instead of mandatory.

Blizzard is definitely throwing the casuals under the bus here, they've seen that fatigue kills subs more than repeatable ad nauseam content keeps people on the line. Having a free-viable-loot extra raid you have to do every week that's full of mouth-breathers is turning off a lot of otherwise loyal customers.

If people can't take a step back and see this is a long-term strategy of keeping the 'hardcore' players interested and subbed every month by slowing down their gear progression, instead of giving the casual players who do LFR 2-3 times and then unsub, then there's really nothing more to be said. Blizzard is a business, they will absolutely keep the most loyal of customers happy.

Case in point: WotLK's sub loss during ICCss 12 month draught vs Cataclysmss sub loss during 9 month draught, but with LFR. It was much more drastic. Hardcore players were fatigued, casual players saw all they needed to see. LFR is not a good thing as far as keeping people subscribed goes, period.

Slayerx

Case in point: WotLK's sub loss during ICCss 12 month draught vs Cataclysmss sub loss during 9 month draught, but with LFR. It was much more drastic. Hardcore players were fatigued, casual players saw all they needed to see. LFR is not a good thing as far as keeping people subscribed goes, period.

I agree with this. Some ideas seem good at the time but have unintended consequences in the long run. Flying mounts, lfg, lfr...

Guys I got another sword. From a bonus roll no less!

Unfortunately it's not Warforged or Heroic and is therefore worse than the heirloom, after doing a stat comparison. Shame since I had to upgrade it to figure that out. Not that that's a bad thing since I was Valor capped anyway.

Otherwise tonight's raid kinda sucked. Our raid leader and Disc Priest (read: imba healer) had computer issues and wasn't able to raid. Just threw off everything. Wiped a few times on H: Immerseus which shouldn't really be happening at this point. Didn't even attempt H: Fallen Protectors or Norushen. Tried for H: Galakras, but the lack of shields really hurt. People dying early to stupid stuff + lowish DPS likely stemming from several new recruits made it too hard.

Tomorrow night will be farm with the only thing to really look forward to is the possibility of an heirloom. Hopefully next week we get back on track. I want to at least be killing heroic bosses we've done before, even if we don't have time for new progression every week.

On a positive note, our resident ret paladin finally got an Evil Eye of Galakras (Warforged!) A warrior won the bid, but he decided to give it to the paladin since he didn't even have an LFR version of the trinket. Nice act of selflessness for the benefit of the raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom