• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal

Banned
I'm about to jump in again..haven't played since a month or so after SoO launched. Did I miss anything significant? I have a feeling it's a "no".

antonz

Collectors Edition info
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/15...rds-of-draenor™-collector’s-edition-8-14-2014
DUZXEJ6825VV1408059653688.jpg

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Trailer was cool, but I've been clean for years and I haven't had the urge to play in a very long time. Still amazing how the game is still going strong after all these years.

CassSept

Btw, how is the Dark Portal going to be fueled now that the Burning Legion, Sargeras and Medivh are out of the picture? Lore magic?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If Grom really is the final boss, I really hope there's more to it than just beating Grom as-is. I mean we fought Garrosh when he was fully hooked up to Old God juice, I'm guessing Grom is going to end up getting desperate after we take out all the other warlords
and his son
and go full fel-orc or something similar.

Btw, how is the Dark Portal going to be fueled now that the Burning Legion, Sargeras and Medivh are out of the picture? Lore magic?

It's literally the first thing you find out as a fresh 90 in Draenor :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The retcons suck.. i mean the ideas and story seems awesome but i would have preferred the world building and backstory be a little more solid. Otherwise it seems great.

Some thoughts about the overall story.

Why was Garrosh sent back in time?

In Black Morass we foil the Infinite Dragonflights plan to halt the opening on fhe Dark Portal on Medivhs side.. is WoD the Infinites reaching their goal but doing so from the other side of the portal?

Also in Black Morass we learn that Alliance players should help keep the Dark Portal open because Azeroth succumbs completely to the Burning Legion unless the orcs invade. Are familiar faces from Alteroth going to make an appearance but bearing a Legion banner?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm not defending them because I think this whole expansion idea is ridiculous, but none of you are calling retcons are retcons. This isn't the past, or out past, what happened happened, they aren't retconing any of that.

I'm not defending them because I think this whole expansion idea is ridiculous, but none of you are calling retcons are retcons. This isn't the past, or out past, what happened happened, they aren't retconing any of that.
I'd have to agree. This is basically like opening up a parallel universe - just not in present day. Everything that exists now still does unless they plan on mindfucking us later.

CassSept

If Grom really is the final boss, I really hope there's more to it than just beating Grom as-is. I mean we fought Garrosh when he was fully hooked up to Old God juice, I'm guessing Grom is going to end up getting desperate after we take out all the other warlords
and his son
and go full fel-orc or something similar.

Isn't Garrosh dying in a scenario?

It's literally the first thing you find out as a fresh 90 in Draenor :p

I didn't get in the beta but I've heard it's because
blah blah Gul'dan fel power, unless they changed it
, but it's still stupid. No reason why it should work tbh. Still feels like lore mental gymnastics are through the roof.

Magnus

The past before Garrosh's arrival in it is indeed our past - it should be the same past. Things should only begin changing from the moment he arrives. Anything from his arrival onward can begin to change, and should change.

I mentioned this in the other WoD thread, but what some people are calling retcons are the changes to the history of the orcs in Draenor before Garrosh even went back in time. That should be identical to main timeline events.

I think these people (like Cass) recognize that the main timeline's events aren't being scrapped, but if character histories in the history of Draenor are being rewritten, those are retcons, plain and simple.

If it was indeed established that Kargath, for example, lost his hand in one fashion, but this new Lords of War series says he lost it another way (again, before Garrosh ever goes back and changes anything), than that's a retcon.

Now, I'm not totally bitching about character origin retcons and shit - comics and other media do it all the time, and sometimes, it ends up being for the better, even if it's not 100% true to the original material. For something like an MMO's story, if they bend a few things and change a few things, all in the service of telling a larger, more coherent, more entertaining story, then I'm happy about that.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Isn't Garrosh dying in a scenario?

It's basically the very end of the leveling experience, the last quest in Nagrand. You literally kill Garrosh (or well, Thrall does) and the npcs are like "good job now do the max level stuff"

Also, I don't really mind the portal stuff. They have bronze dragon help, after all, aint gotta explain shit.

Regarding retcons: I'm mostly fine with them, because the existing history/lore for a lot of the characters in WoD is pretty sparse. They changes Kargath's (and the shattered hand in general) story, but it's a lot cooler imo and integrates the ogres into the history of Draenor in a good way. Ogres have virtually no existing Draenor lore/history as is so it makes sense they are going to want to flesh that out by relating it to existing characters.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The past before Garrosh's arrival in it is indeed our past - it should be the same past. Things should only begin changing from the moment he arrives. Anything from his arrival onward can begin to change, and should change.

I mentioned this in the other WoD thread, but what some people are calling retcons are the changes to the history of the orcs in Draenor before Garrosh even went back in time. That should be identical to main timeline events.

I think these people (like Cass) recognize that the main timeline's events aren't being scrapped, but if character histories in the history of Draenor are being rewritten, those are retcons, plain and simple.

If it was indeed established that Kargath, for example, lost his hand in one fashion, but this new Lords of War series says he lost it another way (again, before Garrosh ever goes back and changes anything), than that's a retcon.

Now, I'm not totally bitching about character origin retcons and shit - comics and other media do it all the time, and sometimes, it ends up being for the better, even if it's not 100% true to the original material. For something like an MMO's story, if they bend a few things and change a few things, all in the service of telling a larger, more coherent, more entertaining story, then I'm happy about that.

no, its not our past even before Garrosh gets therel, as there are NPCs alive in the beta that should be dead long before Garrosh got there, proving that this is not only the past, but an alternate reality where things can be different

again, im not trying to defend them...well I am, just based on facts, I still maintain its a fucking awful idea, especially after we got teased that the legion was coming by wrathion, this should have been a legion expansion, making getting to level 100 much more meaningful (yes I know there will still be more expansions), this whole thing feels even more like a side story than MoP did

It's basically the very end of the leveling experience, the last quest in Nagrand. You literally kill Garrosh (or well, Thrall does) and the npcs are like "good job now do the max level stuff"

if this is true, as in if they stick with it and
Garrosh is actually dead, it makes the whole thing a little better, he went back, fucked up things for everyone, and died in the process while the damage has been done.

Magnus

no, its not our past even before Garrosh gets therel, as there are NPCs alive in the beta that should be dead long before Garrosh got there, proving that this is not only the past, but an alternate reality where things can be different

again, im not trying to defend them...well I am, just based on facts, I still maintain its a fucking awful idea, especially after we got teased that the legion was coming by wrathion, this should have been a legion expansion, making getting to level 100 much more meaningful (yes I know there will still be more expansions), this whole thing feels even more like a side story than MoP did

Whaaaa.....??

Source? Is this a thing?

I've never heard about this before.

If it's acknowledged somewhere that this is a totally different reality, and not meant to merely be a changed past, then yeah, every rule can be thrown out the window.

Rhaknar

Whaaaa.....??

Source? Is this a thing?

I've never heard about this before.

If it's acknowledged somewhere that this is a totally different reality, and not meant to merely be a changed past, then yeah, every rule can be thrown out the window.

spoilers obviously

Rulkan, Ner'zhuls mate is alive and a npc in WoD, and she had been dead long before Garrosh got there 35 years ago in our timeline. Also more changes that have nothing to do with Garrosh arriving

wow insider article with those changes

Magnus

spoilers obviously

Rulkan, Ner'zhuls mate is alive and a npc in WoD, and she had been dead long before Garrosh got there 35 years ago in our timeline. Also more changes that have nothing to do with Garrosh arriving

wow insider article with those changes

Woah.

I mean, the reason I'm inclined to take this article more seriously is Blizzard's comment that "this isn't time travel". I suddenly remember them saying that; but when/where?

Otherwise, I could write off lots of little changes as light retconning, to make for a more interesting world for WoD players to enjoy. For example, if an area was described as 'rolling green hills' in an earlier piece of WC lore, but in this game is a 'rocky crag', I wouldn't count that as evidence of this not being simple time travel. Light retconning. You know? Something like Gul'dan's wife being alive again is a bit more serious, especially if she's as important a character to the story as this article suggests.

Shit. If this article's right, then things are suddenly very interesting, though suddenly a bit less meaningful. We're not really delving into legendary figures of WC history anymore; we're checking out alternate versions of them. Huh.

Rhaknar

Shit. If this article's right, then things are suddenly very interesting, though suddenly a bit less meaningful. We're not really delving into legendary figures of WC history anymore; we're checking out alternate versions of them. Huh.

that was always the case, I dont know why you thought it wasnt :)

we're not just dealing with dead people, Velen is a big part of WoD and its clear its not our Velen

Anoregon

we're not just dealing with dead people, Velen is a big part of WoD and its clear its not our Velen

Pretty sure WoD Velen dies in Shadowmoon Valley, unless that's what you are referring to.

Magnus

I haven't played the beta, man. I don't know what's happening in it yet as far as characters and quests go.

Most everything in Blizzard's PR about this so far has just indicated time travel, though. "Going back to interact with Warcraft legends". And there's the whole catalyst being the Bronze Dragonflight/Kairoz, which is plain and simple time travel. So that's why I and almost everyone else rightly thought this was just time travel. ;)

Rhaknar

Pretty sure WoD Velen dies in Shadowmoon Valley, unless that's what you are referring to.

I didnt know that, but thats even more proof lol

I haven't played the beta, man. I don't know what's happening in it yet as far as characters and quests go.

Most everything in Blizzard's PR about this so far has just indicated time travel, though. "Going back to interact with Warcraft legends". And there's the whole catalyst being the Bronze Dragonflight/Kairoz, which is plain and simple time travel. So that's why I and almost everyone else rightly thought this was just time travel. ;)

im not in the beta either (Ive never been in any warcraft beta in 10 years because Blizzard hates me), but even at the announcement at blizzcon last year they specifically said this was an alternate dimension Draenor and went out of their way to say this wasnt
just
a time travel story:)

TheYanger

I'd guess that it's still just alternate timeline, but one that Kairoz mucked with more than he wanted to let on to Garrosh. Alternate realities that somehow the bronze can travel to makes a lot less sense.

JSoup

Banned
So, does all of those in-game goodies come with the digital deluxe edition? I got the mount and pet, but not the D3 pennant of Hearthstone card back.
Edit: Pardon, I have the pennant, I forgot what that was for a moment. The card back is new to me, though.

Rhaknar

So, does all of those in-game goodies come with the digital deluxe edition? I got the mount and pet, but not the D3 pennant of Hearthstone card back.
Edit: Pardon, I have the pennant, I forgot what that was for a moment. The card back is new to me, though.

the card backs werent announced before, I also have the digital CE and i really fucking hope we get the card backs aswell, it would be lame if it was for the physical version only. I bet we will tho

edit: started selling my mats today in anticipation of warlords. I have so many epic enchanting shards its not even funny, they sell nicely tho so im not complaining. also turned all my golden lotus into flasks and sold those (no idea how I had so many lotuses, im not a herbalist), so now im back at 10k on my mage (lol im poor I know) with about 1-2k on each of my other alts, probably have around... 20k in total. Pretty shit but should be fine to start warlords with

It's still a bit too early for me to start liquidating MoP mats, but any new stock I acquire will definitely be in small batches. I've already minimized my involvement or haven't been in a few markets for awhile.

Rhaknar

It's still a bit too early for me to start liquidating MoP mats, but any new stock I acquire will definitely be in small batches. I've already minimized my involvement or haven't been in a few markets for awhile.

well im not in a raiding guild (thinking about it for warlords tho) so all ill do up to warlords will be LFR, and ill still enchant that gear (even in my most casual days, I still always do the best enchants and gems on all my characters, my moto is try to be the best at what you have access to), im just selling the epic enchanting thing atm because i have so many, im not selling dust or anything else

really want to complete my mage t15 seeing as im not going to do challenge mode, t15 is probably my favorite mage set on a male draenei, thing just looks amazing (even the LFR one)

I still need to finish my lock t8 one of these days too, still need the chest :/

I can just imagine the nightmare it's gonna be now to level ~9 characters to 100, or at least far enough to access Warlords professions.

Working on my Rogue who's 83 right now and I dread doing Mists content for the 8th time.

Rhaknar

I can just imagine the nightmare it's gonna be now to level ~9 characters to 100, or at least far enough to access Warlords professions.

Working on my Rogue who's 83 right now and I dread doing Mists content for the 8th time.

why would you level all of them? I had 6 90s (7 now with the boost) in MoP, but for example only 1 85 (lol) in Cataclysm, Wrath I think I had most but not all at 80. Its not an obligation, especially since I doubt you like all the classes

Is anyone getting the Collector's Edition of Draenor that doesn't play Hearthstone? I'm trying to collect all the card backs, but I can't justify buying the game just to get the card back. :c

tl,dr; Begging for Draenor card back.

I love you all.

Rhaknar

Is anyone getting the Collector's Edition of Draenor that doesn't play Hearthstone? I'm trying to collect all the card backs, but I can't justify buying the game just to get the card back. :c

tl,dr; Begging for Draenor card back.

I love you all.

I dont think they are seperate codes. certainly isnt in the digital CE

My man. When I used to play WoW I did the same thing, I had enough alts to be mostly self-sufficient as far as professions went. I liked being the guy guild-mates could reliably turn to whenever they needed something from a profession they didn't have.

Rhaknar

I just noticed the thread title works both as a time travel nod (BTTF reference) and as a "no flying in draenor" nod.

so good

RPGCrazied

How much gold would it take to buy the mats for a Mechano-Hog? Seriously want it for my Alliance toons, cause I'm not even going to try and save up 100k for the chopper mount.

Rhaknar

How much gold would it take to buy the mats for a Mechano-Hog? Seriously want it for my Alliance toons, cause I'm not even going to try and save up 100k for the chopper mount.

is that the old engineer bike? if so its around 24k, or at least used to be

Rhaknar

Does any retailer have WoD CE up yet for pre order?

amazon at least

I forget, are extra rolls (with coins) tied to the weekly loot or seperate?

example: can I kill a boss I already killed this week in ToT and use a coin (err...mogu rune) for a chance of loot again?

I know this isnt viable with warforge coins, but you can get a ton of mogu runes easily and I really want to finish my damn t15

Corsick

Anyone else most excited by the fact that we can send NPC companions off to do chores for us? I know it sounds monotonous but compared to what WoW has been it and garrisons seem the most compelling. I always love CPU vs CPU stuff or the ability to control a CPU army (I know we won't have an army or use them like that, but it reminds me of it in a way). Games like Mount and Blade for example are really cool. I understand it won't work like that with garrisons and such, but having my own base and followers is a very interesting concept. I won't get this at launch most likely (or perhaps at all since I'm close to swearing off monthly fees for any kind of game/game service), but it adds a dimension I didn't think WoW would ever have. The improved models and new content are just icing on the cake, but expected nonetheless.

antonz

Anyone else most excited by the fact that we can send NPC companions off to do chores for us? I know it sounds monotonous but compared to what WoW has been it and garrisons seem the most compelling. I always love CPU vs CPU stuff or the ability to control a CPU army (I know we won't have an army or use them like that, but it reminds me of it in a way). Games like Mount and Blade for example are really cool. I understand it won't work like that with garrisons and such, but having my own base and followers is a very interesting concept. I won't get this at launch most likely (or perhaps at all since I'm close to swearing off monthly fees for any kind of game/game service), but it adds a dimension I didn't think WoW would ever have. The improved models and new content are just icing on the cake, but expected nonetheless.

I do like the mission system but they need to work on it a bit more. right now its mostly fluff. 80% of the missions you get are just for xp for followers. Very useful mind you but that's it just he xp. No money or anything. Every quest should have some kind of monetary reward etc. especially with the lack of dailies

Rhaknar

Hopefully we get less scenarios and more dungeons or raids this time.

The only scenarios in WoD are story single player ones while leveling, like the ToT ones (which were awesome)

vocab

Ya those are fine. Doing the heroic ones over and over gets tiring. A lot of the regular scenarios are very forgettable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom