• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

As part of this patch, players will encounter fierce new opponents and get their first chance to experience a number of updates we’re making to the game. In addition to changes to the skills and abilities for every class, this patch will introduce brand new features such as 20-player Mythic-difficulty Siege of Orgrimmar, as well as systems adjustments including stat squish and diminishing returns on crowd control. The next chapter in the World of Warcraft saga is coming at you armed to the teeth.

I wonder if they're adding 20-player Mythic on top of the existing structure for now, or also flexifying normal and heroic (and therefore adjusting the difficulty). As a 10-man raid working through heroic very slowly, it's a bit inconvenient if we'd have to recruit 10 more people to do the same difficulty content we're currently doing.

Guys I have dinged 90 with my warrior and he is still in his quest greens :) So I wonder what kind of old content would I be able to solo and experience with this guy? Or I plan on getting a pally or monk to 90 if they are better option for soloing old content?

And how much difference in soloing would getting LFR and TI gear make?

Xanathus

Hi, as someone who doesn't play WoW but is interested in the story and events in the game, is there a video series like a Let's Play which shows all the major events in the game like the Deathwing and Garrosh stuff? Thanks in advance.

Xanathus

There:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ__nRnO2mE

In his channel he has tons of lore videos that are all pretty good and detailed.

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I basically want to see the events and cinematics and cutscenes from the perspective of someone playing the game, but skipping past all the leveling quests and grinding. I see he has a Lets Play playlist in his channel so maybe that will work.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV3Yvqnl3FYeHENy6wipyBYYcmGlIEjVz

edit: OK that Let's Play is like the exact opposite of what I'm looking for

witness

Guys I have dinged 90 with my warrior and he is still in his quest greens :) So I wonder what kind of old content would I be able to solo and experience with this guy? Or I plan on getting a pally or monk to 90 if they are better option for soloing old content?

And how much difference in soloing would getting LFR and TI gear make?

In quest greens you could solo practically anything through WotLK, I didn't raid in Cata but I doubt it. Warriors are great for soloing the old raids. And yes getting LFR gear would make it an insane amount easier. Your stats get hugely upgraded by the time you get to SoO LFR gear. Go to the timeless isle, loot all the chest and do some of the quests and before you know it you'll have a decent amount if 496 gear without raiding.

TheYanger

Thanks, but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I basically want to see the events and cinematics and cutscenes from the perspective of someone playing the game, but skipping past all the leveling quests and grinding. I see he has a Lets Play playlist in his channel so maybe that will work.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV3Yvqnl3FYeHENy6wipyBYYcmGlIEjVz

edit: OK that Let's Play is like the exact opposite of what I'm looking for

Eh...that would be REALLY hard to do.
A) a lot of the story is in-game events that happen, not cutscenes or cinematics, as well as some of it being in quest text (primarily nuances, they've gotten good about not making the text the vital parts to get what's going on).
B) There's no 'set' way to experience it all, that's just not how these games work.

C) even considering what I've said above, that's only covering like the last expansion, older stuff ABSOLUTELY revolves around reading lots of quests and paying attention to truly get what's going on. I would wager even a lot of the playerbase had to be told what some of the shit was during the early days. Reading a synopsis would honestly be shorter/easier.

Much like how an open world game is both partly about an overall story, but also lots of side stories and more of a 'tone', that's how Wow is, and most MMOs to be fair. It's more like series of events that may or may not be connected that when formed together make the story, and that's difficult to convey in the way that you're asking.

Xanathus

Eh...that would be REALLY hard to do.
A) a lot of the story is in-game events that happen, not cutscenes or cinematics, as well as some of it being in quest text (primarily nuances, they've gotten good about not making the text the vital parts to get what's going on).
B) There's no 'set' way to experience it all, that's just not how these games work.

C) even considering what I've said above, that's only covering like the last expansion, older stuff ABSOLUTELY revolves around reading lots of quests and paying attention to truly get what's going on. I would wager even a lot of the playerbase had to be told what some of the shit was during the early days. Reading a synopsis would honestly be shorter/easier.

Much like how an open world game is both partly about an overall story, but also lots of side stories and more of a 'tone', that's how Wow is, and most MMOs to be fair. It's more like series of events that may or may not be connected that when formed together make the story, and that's difficult to convey in the way that you're asking.

Yeah I get it. Thinking about it through yeah even a normal player wouldn't know there's a major story going on and just click through all the exclamation marks and kill bosses without knowing their story and from what I know of WoW there aren't many (any?) in-game cinematics.

Tacitus_

Yeah I get it. Thinking about it through yeah even a normal player wouldn't know there's a major story going on and just click through all the exclamation marks and kill bosses without knowing their story and from what I know of WoW there aren't many (any?) in-game cinematics.

They started doing ingame cinematics with WotLK. The Wrathgate one is pretty cool.

strafer

Well well...

Look who's in Nagrand.

The dude from Valley of Trials.

wowscrnshot_081514_130lu21.jpg

cross posting from eu forum..

I'll elaborate..
we've had content draught due to last patch overstaying its welcome, and guess what we've been fighting ALL the frigging time in SOO? Orc, mutated orc, orc riding dragons, orc's uderling...
just.. stop...
If Grommash is the final boss for the raid AT LEAST make it count blizzard..
build something up..
something like gul'dan, even while acting as battery is still in contact with the legion, and the when grommash is put in the corner (AFTER TWO RAIDS , PLEASE.. don't make this a 2 raids expac....... it's plain milking your customer for their money's worth) someone important from the legion comes (dunno... archimonde? kill'jaeden? take your pick.. though i wouldn't want sargeras to come and meddle with this), and after someone kills finally (for good) garrosh in the second tier content, gul'dan propose to a sullen and discomforted grommash to take just some "help" from the legion ..
and the final raid is:
1) corrupted orc mage (gul'dan)
2) a somewhat "resurrected" mannoroth or anyway another mannoroth-class demon (brutallus old forgotten brother? something like that)
3) some enslaved&corrupted mix-race brawl-like fight (a-la illidari council//toc "semi-pvp" fight), more demon
4) a natzherim fight
5) a portal overload-like fight, with a portal with some mechanic that will push out every X time a wave of elite demon (between all the "summonable" warlock pet + empowered form)
6) finally fight with grommash somewhat corrupted with some twist, so that it doesn't feel like soo all over again.. in soo, ultimately grom was not "corrupted" by y'saarj, but he was in control... do the other way around, with grommash being first phase, second phase grommash is revelead to somewhat be an empty "husk" for some legion entity and then last part you fight the legion entity with gromm "spirit" (so you somewhat "re-use" the shamanistic component of the orcs) helping you to redeem his misdeeds and the iron horde as a whole..

Of course feel free to add content as you see fit, but after having
1) mantis/mogu first tier content of mop
2) troll content second tier of mop
3) orc content third tier of mop...

making the LAST tier of drenor again orc-centered will feel like a slog.....
Feel free to disagree of course community, but i think we DO need some variation in order to avoid a SoO 2.0 in drenor....
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/11546424786#1

gaf, opinion?

You think they will show us the login screen at Blizzcon?

well why not...
anyway the blizzcon will be like 7-8 november? it's 4-5 days before release, so it's not a big loss..
my qualms is that we have 3 more months of SoO..
worst case scenario, I'll dip into heartstone/d3 or dig into PoE...
I like HotS so far, but frankly getting a reset on every talent/rank i unlock for heroes, after the painful rise to 10 to get the master skins? not cool..
If they confirm a "no reset" policy, by all means I'll play a lot, but as things stands i'll just do dailies every three days and that's that.

Any ppl want to try to do gold CMs sometime. I can heal on my resto drood.

Wouldnt mind completing a set or 2 before 6.0.
If you're alliance, Why not..
I'm still missing rogue (shit gear), monk (upper lfr gear healer), priest (upper lfr shadow or holy), mage (shit gear)..
Already done with all the rest.. Though i can't lead, in cm you need to know what pulls to do, and what you can skip.. I dps and heal like a basse, but c a to take a lead role in a game, i already do that irl, in games i want to relax..

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You think they will show us the login screen at Blizzcon?

We'll see the login screen at the very latest when 6.0 goes live, presumably in October.

I wonder if they're adding 20-player Mythic on top of the existing structure for now, or also flexifying normal and heroic (and therefore adjusting the difficulty). As a 10-man raid working through heroic very slowly, it's a bit inconvenient if we'd have to recruit 10 more people to do the same difficulty content we're currently doing.

Well I mean, is Mythic SoO even really important at that point? Once 6.0 launches we are only going to have a few more weeks of SoO being end-game content, and if your guild wants to do WoD raids at the current heroic difficulty you will need to pick up 10 more for mythic anyway.

Tacitus_

Well I mean, is Mythic SoO even really important at that point? Once 6.0 launches we are only going to have a few more weeks of SoO being end-game content, and if your guild wants to do WoD raids at the current heroic difficulty you will need to pick up 10 more for mythic anyway.

IIRC they up the droprate for the heirlooms a lot in 6.0 and if your character is missing their main spec one, it's guaranteed on the first kill by then.

Manus

Omg the T - Rex boss in SoO is so frustrating. Been tanking it in LFR and no one moves out of the laser. Easiest tank fight ever, but no can't move out of raid with laser on you. I just came back recently after about a year and haven't ran into any idiots yet in LFR till this boss.

mclem

Yeah, but I was rather counting on a gradual ramp-up where we could use levelling and the flex-friendly lower raiding content to accumulate a critical mass of people to do so. This way 'round, we're dumped into the situation much quicker than I'm comfortable with.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Omg the T - Rex boss in SoO is so frustrating. Been tanking it in LFR and no one moves out of the laser. Easiest tank fight ever, but no can't move out of raid with laser on you. I just came back recently after about a year and haven't ran into any idiots yet in LFR till this boss.

I haven't fought this guy on LFR since early 2014. I'm not surprised LFR hasn't improved on this boss.

Entropia

No One Remembers

The funny thing is, it doesn't kill you instantly in LFR. In Flex and above, it will one shot you!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hey Gul'dan, what's the worst part about doing Thok with an LFR group?

iWydHmSRhQF8t.gif

Anoregon

man the hand/head size ratio on orcs is bonkers

dudes can touch their finger tips together behind their head when they facepalm

Anoregon

I'm not gonna miss LFR at all. I'm hoping I barely ever have to set foot in the place.

strafer

So I have played around with Garrisons some more on Beta and it's pretty damn awesome.

You can see your followers walk around your little mini base and even have one of them as your personal Bodyguard.

But what I wish for is if they can add your own alts to Garrisons..seeing your alts walk around instead and follow you around, that would be even more awesome.

I had my Mage follower follow me around in the world and she just melee stuff...n00b. :p

Also, they have rep too.

God, feel like im going to spend some time with Garrisons on LIVE.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have they done anything, recently, to speed up the leveling from 1-Max?

yes, its called the 90 boost >_>

but they nerfed the xp needed btween 85 and 90, the stuff before is the same

Magnus

When's the last time they did a discount on Character Services?

I have several characters I want to server and faction transfer, and $55 a pop is just too much.

witness

I have several characters I want to server and faction transfer, and $55 a pop is just too much.

I bet it'll happen when 6.0 is released. I anxiously await to convert my Draenei shaman to an Orc.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Pretty sure they already said somewhere that the last boss won't "just be an orc." So chances are we'll get a multi-man last boss fight or a mutated Gromm.

Yeah it's kinda meh that the official last boss is an Orc (as far as we know), but I trust blizzard in this regard. Their final boss fights have always been some of the most epic send-outs, even if there were a few bumps leading up to them.

Eh, if anything I think they'll do it a couple months before to get people to resub or a few months after. Character services are going to be in high demand regardless after Draenor and they'll extract every bit of cash from those willing to pay in the first few weeks. Maybe a few months to a year after launch they'll have a discount.

I'm still hoping they still give every char one free re-customization without a race change, since all the faces are changing. What we picked 6 years ago doesn't really reflect what we're getting now, nor the detail we are getting (duh).

Anoregon

That stuff shouldn't cost money tbh.

Same with race change.

Make it free and a 12 month cooldown or something.

ICE CREAM SHOULD COME OUT OF THE TAP AND IT SHOULD RAIN CHOCOLATE

The CM will be gone after patch 6.0 lands ?

I think they will still exist, but you won't be able to get the rewards anymore. Not positive about the first part, thoughl

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i swear to god though imma be pissed if they make the very last bit of story be all about "oh no i gromm hellscream can't stop these random heroes, gul'dan was right all along; I gotta drink more powerful blood, Sargeras or Kil'Jaedan blood! I, demon gromm, will show you what it means to be called hellscream! O wait, uhahahaha the legion was behind this time travel thing all along in order to create an even more powerful and loyal army of orcs blablabla 'you actually can't change history' lesson from chris metz--i mean nozdormu."

Magnus

Darn, re: no character services soon. Alas. I guess I'll just level new ones. Or maybe use my boost on a fresh character for a class I already have, just so I can have it on my current new server. I was saving it for a Rogue, the one class I don't have at higher levels...but maybe it's smarter to use it on something I'll actually play, since melee dps is my least favourite kind of play in this game, and that's all a rogue can do.

Also, re: Orc as a final boss, I really fucking wish they wouldn't be discussing this shit so early. Expansion's not even out. I hated that Garrosh was revealed as a boss that fucking early. Why in the world would you intentionally spoil that shit for your entire audience? Speculation's half the fun.

i swear to god though imma be pissed if they make the very last bit of story be all about "oh no i gromm hellscream can't stop these random heroes, gul'dan was right all along; I gotta drink more powerful blood, Sargeras or Kil'Jaedan blood! I, demon gromm, will show you what it means to be called hellscream! O wait, uhahahaha the legion was behind this time travel thing all along in order to create an even more powerful and loyal army of orcs blablabla 'you actually can't change history' lesson from chris metz--i mean nozdormu."

That's....probably exactly what we're going to get. :( Keep this prediction safe for reference in two years.

:( There'll almost certainly be a 'lesson' imparted somewhere, maybe from Thrall to Garrosh, or whoever, about how some things "will never change".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom