• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthos

Those faces...

Anyone down for challenge modes one of these days? I kinda want to hit at least Silver before the expansion hits.

Cipherr

I just started on Friday with a Starter Account and have made it to level 15. So far I'm enjoying it a bit, but I feel like it's sorta hard to figure out what else I can do in the game. Nobody talks, which I assume is a server population issue, plus the game isn't clear on any sort of direction. I started as a Draenei Warrior and have made it to a second island via a flight station. I'm by the area near Malfurion right now, but I've never seen a single town or highly populated area. Any tips for continuing so it doesn't get stale? I'd like to get into WoW, but feel I need some pointers.

IMO before you get to far, reroll on Stormrage. Most highly populated US server in the game. Its fantastic and you will even see some people in the leveling areas, although its still not going to be packed because you are starting at a dead time just before an expansion launches, so numbers are lower in general, but Stormrage is a madhouse, great population so bustling economy and Auction House, TONS of guilds, people actually use zone/global chat, I love it there.

DarkFlow

Banned
Blizz really wants me to come back, they added Mists for free to my account. I don't think I've had a real sub in over 2 years, it was before mists was even out.

The Iron Horde is coming and to help prepare you for the invasion, we’ve given your account, a FREE digital copy of Mists of Pandaria®. When you reactivate your WoW subscription, you'll be able to battle to level 90 and get ready for the launch of Warlords of Draenor™ on 11.13.14.

To reactivate your subscription, simply click the button below or head over to:

Same..
Subscrtion was due for 11 aug, renewed for 6 months because fuck you..
And instead it was fuck me, expected 1.5-2months top till expansion.. Instead it's 3 more months of soo

TheYanger

Took a look at that human face on beta...a big part of that shot is lighting. The geometry of the faces doesn't really change, but the makeup/eyebrows/features definitely match up decently on all the female humans. They just have the same 'look' because of how the new skeletons and animations and stuff are. But like, you can totally see the originals in them.

My undead hunter though totally came out looking hot so I'm stoked about her.

F7qTzcH.png

Hixx

"Players may not go to Farahlon during this expansion, it depends on if the content is relevant to the expansion."

I don't get it. Surely they have stuff like this planned out? I mean if they're already working on the next expansion, surely they're some way into creating and locking down the art and story for 6.1, .2, .3 etc? Or is this just a way of saying "yeah, that's not going to happen" and we'll just have Tanaan as patch content instead?

Shahadan

"Players may not go to Farahlon during this expansion, it depends on if the content is relevant to the expansion."

I don't get it. Surely they have stuff like this planned out? I mean if they're already working on the next expansion, surely they're some way into creating and locking down the art and story for 6.1, .2, .3 etc? Or is this just a way of saying "yeah, that's not going to happen" and we'll just have Tanaan as patch content instead?

Yeah bullshit excuse. As if a big zone with an important draenei place lore-wise wasn't relevant in WoD :lol:

They were too ambitious for their capabilities.
That said it basically confirms next expansion will be happening on draenor, which is cool.

Even if they put Faralhon in a patch it'll be a boring downgraded island like the isle of thunder was instead of being Zandalar like originally planned.

CassSept

They were too ambitious for their capabilities.

There are so many things about WoD that remind me of Cata it's not even funny at this point.

Cata was overly ambitious and it only hurt the game, ending up with a failed expansion that wasted a huuge number of opportunities. Shame.

TheContact

Question regarding garrisons: are they instanced to your character or do you get to see other peoples garrisons too? And is it just one spot on specific maps and you can only choose one?

strafer

Question regarding garrisons: are they instanced to your character or do you get to see other peoples garrisons too? And is it just one spot on specific maps and you can only choose one?

They are instanced but you can let people visit your garrison.

One spot.

Horde - Frostfire

Alliance - Shadowmoon

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There are so many things about WoD that remind me of Cata it's not even funny at this point.

Cata was overly ambitious and it only hurt the game, ending up with a failed expansion that wasted a huuge number of opportunities. Shame.

I wouldn't consider cataclysm a failure, as the biggest/most important thing it set out to do ( the revamp of all level 1-60 leveling content) was a total success. But since THAT was such an endeavor, everything else suffered a bit. BY FAR the weakest expansion in terms of raid content.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is it not? I thought they were all caught up with the revealed stuff except for Trolls.

CassSept

I wouldn't consider cataclysm a failure, as the biggest/most important thing it set out to do ( the revamp of all level 1-60 leveling content) was a total success. But since THAT was such an endeavor, everything else suffered a bit. BY FAR the weakest expansion in terms of raid content.

Well, tbh not all content was revamped, there were zones that went virtually unchanged... though they did fair job on that front, I agree.

However, a ton of seemingly important plotlines were either dumb, cut or mismanaged. I can't believe Neptulon is still left hanging, or that they butchered Well of Eternity. Maelstrom was a huge disappointment too, as were some other locales (imo they failed to capitalize on Uldum or Grim Batol's inclusion). The scattered nature of the storyline was a huge blow to the feeling of unity within the game and many what-could-have-beens suffered for it.

BearPawB

Banned
Well, tbh not all content was revamped, there were zones that went virtually unchanged... though they did fair job on that front, I agree.

However, a ton of seemingly important plotlines were either dumb, cut or mismanaged. I can't believe Neptulon is still left hanging, or that they butchered Well of Eternity. Maelstrom was a huge disappointment too, as were some other locales (imo they failed to capitalize on Uldum or Grim Batol's inclusion). The scattered nature of the storyline was a huge blow to the feeling of unity within the game and many what-could-have-beens suffered for it.

Biggest to me was old world flying. That was huge

M.D

what the hell

I was so excited to get to 70 and get my swift flight form, then I find out I need Artisan Riding which costs 4250 gold

how am I going to get that gold X_X

Anoregon

Yeah I was always irritated by how they handled Neptulon. They even had the gall to spit their absurd party line about how "oh his story ended in a satisfactory way" even though it didn't even end at all.

It's always a pisser when Blizzard PR turns into just sticking to stuff that they fucking know is total bullshit, but just expecting people to buy it. Like the whole Farahlon thing. "Oh it might really just be Ashran!" el oh fucking el.

fester

Banned
IMO before you get to far, reroll on Stormrage. Most highly populated US server in the game. Its fantastic and you will even see some people in the leveling areas, although its still not going to be packed because you are starting at a dead time just before an expansion launches, so numbers are lower in general, but Stormrage is a madhouse, great population so bustling economy and Auction House, TONS of guilds, people actually use zone/global chat, I love it there.

This sounds almost too good to be true. One of the things that hold me back from returning is how the community has been negatively impacted by all the changes. The server I started on for launch day (Alleria) was a hollow shell of its former self the last time I checked it.

what the hell

I was so excited to get to 70 and get my swift flight form, then I find out I need Artisan Riding which costs 4250 gold

how am I going to get that gold X_X

Crying about that gold amount nowdays lol. Try 5,000 gold in BC. Farming for weeks on end.

Also those faces linked are huge downgrades.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Looking foward to seeing my dwarf warrior in his full new model glory, infact I feel the new male dwarf model is the best, also like the new model for the forsaken.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In beta, if you make a premade you skip Tanaan, but if you copy a character over, you still have to do Tanaan.

Anyone know how to skip it as a copy character?

Hixx

5k in TBC wasn't too bad. I just farmed Thick Clefthoof Leather in Nagrand and fished for Motes. Clefthoof Leather was such an easy farm too... abundant and sold for 120g+ a stack on my server.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You don't?

Don't what? I made a warrior, and he drops off right by Drek'Thar, Thrall, and Durotan. I imported my Shaman, and he stil has to go through Lothar and Tanaan. Which is pretty backwards.

Also, if you want to talk major dumb lorebreaking nitpick: Anybody notice Teron'Gor has the Betrayer regalia on? How in the world would he have an outfit based on something happening to somoene that hasn't even happened yet? ;)

ampere

I think Orcs and Dwarves are my favorite revamped races so far.

I just wish Blood Elf racials weren't so good... AoE silence and 1% Crit (I play Brewmaster), sigh. I'm currently Orc, but honestly quite tempted to go Blood Elf.

They screwed up (they said in the official Nagrand preview that Garadar was built after Draenor was shattered), but now with this expansion they have a nifty all-purpose excuse for any lore mix-up - ALTERNATE TIMELINE!

Yeah some stuff like that you'd wish they could keep consistent. I know it's hard when a series gets this big to not make mistakes though, oh well.

Carlow

In beta, if you make a premade you skip Tanaan, but if you copy a character over, you still have to do Tanaan.

Anyone know how to skip it as a copy character?

theres 2 templates to copy now, 1 before the Intro quest chain, 1 after.

edit: dont think you can skip the intro as a copy from live realms.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think Orcs and Dwarves are my favorite revamped races so far.

I just wish Blood Elf racials weren't so good... AoE silence and 1% Crit (I play Brewmaster), sigh. I'm currently Orc, but honestly quite tempted to go Blood Elf.

I love every revamp. There's yet to be one that I've felt letdown by. I guess I was hoping they could have done more with humans, but it is what it is. I love Male Orcs, Male Dwarves, Female Orcs, and Female Trolls the best, but I like them all. If they do add the upright Orc stance and Mag'har and Dragonmaw skins for the Orcs and Dark Iron and Wildhammer for the Dwarves though, those will be my absolute favorites. Still want playable Ogres most of all though

Wasn't there whole point with the new racials not to make any one race better than the others? Like how Trolls dominated casters and pretty much all specs in ToT as well
Edit: Holy moley my Hunter bars are so empty on beta

Took a look at that human face on beta...a big part of that shot is lighting. The geometry of the faces doesn't really change, but the makeup/eyebrows/features definitely match up decently on all the female humans. They just have the same 'look' because of how the new skeletons and animations and stuff are. But like, you can totally see the originals in them.

My undead hunter though totally came out looking hot so I'm stoked about her.

I think it's less to do with the lighting and more to do with them actually improving things, which is a good sign. That shot was from a few builds ago, taking a look at it again now they've lessened the "old lines" a lot, and the eyes look better. Either way I show helm and that hunter is like a 5th alt character, hah. There will be hell to pay if my human males don't turn out well though! (that gnome is still a nightmare).

The best improvements from these models anyway, imo, are the new animations. That's what you're really going to notice/appreciate as you play.

Draxal

I honestly thought it was a failure in revamping the 1-60 content, the fact that they updated it to post wotlk ... yet keeping bc and wotlk the same just seemed stupid. They should have just cleaned up the original quest chains.

As for WOD, it appears they are really missing GC more than they thought they would.

Anyone knows how to fast track level up the alchemy profession? Kinda like engineering/blacksmithing where you just have to farm a shitton of Ghost Iron bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom