• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

I'm looking for the same thing in regards to enchanting and tailoring. Anybody know?

Wow-professions.com's 1-600 guides. Fast. Efficient. Sink a bunch of gold in to power level them and make most of it back selling your byproducts.

It's what I've used consistently over the years to much success and little frustration.

lazygecko

I'm not sure the game would really benefit from throwing in yet more classes. The only thing I really felt was missing was a pet-less archer class, but AFAIK they are adding that functionality to hunters via a talent or glyph?

Can someone sum up the whole Faralohn issue to me? I haven't really been paying attention.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WoW doesn't need new classes. I don't even think Monks and DKs were that great of additions to be honest.

And balancing is already a nightmare for them(though I imagine the squish of abilities is something to help them plan for a new class), you're more likely to see a new race in the next expansion than a new class. And if there were a new class, it'd likely be a new mail class, so I think a bard would fit that.

Still, I really don't think WoW needs any new classes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Can someone sum up the whole Faralohn issue to me? I haven't really been paying attention.

Basically, the Farahlon landmass (What would become Netherstorm in Outland) has always been there but undeveloped in alpha/beta, and it always seemed to be planned as patch content. In a Gamescom interview, tom chilton basically said they probably won't get around to adding it at all and his excuse was "well maybe Ashran is really Farahlon anyway", which is just fucking stupid nonsense.

The prevailing theory is that Tanaan is eating the development/patch slot that Farahlon was going to take, because despite Blizzard's twitter comments, it's pretty god damn clear Tanaan was always expected to be a fully-featured, 6.0 launch zone for WoD.

Entropia

No One Remembers
WoW doesn't need new classes. I don't even think Monks and DKs were that great of additions to be honest.

And balancing is already a nightmare for them(though I imagine the squish of abilities is something to help them plan for a new class), you're more likely to see a new race in the next expansion than a new class. And if there were a new class, it'd likely be a new mail class, so I think a bard would fit that.

Still, I really don't think WoW needs any new classes.

I don't really think Bards as wearing mail. They seem more cloth or leather.

If it is a mail wearing class at the very least I would like it to have a caster DPS spec.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Basically, the Farahlon landmass (What would become Netherstorm in Outland) has always been there but undeveloped in alpha/beta, and it always seemed to be planned as patch content. In a Gamescom interview, tom chilton basically said they probably won't get around to adding it at all and his excuse was "well maybe Ashran is really Farahlon anyway", which is just fucking stupid nonsense.

The prevailing theory is that Tanaan is eating the development/patch slot that Farahlon was going to take, because despite Blizzard's twitter comments, it's pretty god damn clear Tanaan was always expected to be a fully-featured, 6.0 launch zone for WoD.
The development of WoD has been a mess. I think the character models took up way more time/resources than they expected. This is the first I hear of Farahlon being excluded... very upsetting. So far this marks the third time something major that was promised us has been changed:

1. No more cities for factions, just hubs
2. Tanaan Jungle
3. This

Not to mention that this is the longest time WoW has gone without an update patch since its release.

Shahadan

The problem with Blizzard is they are focused on making people come back, and not making people stay, which is the dumb way to do it.
Almost everything they do is to appeal to people who left and probably won't come back (and even if they do, not for long).

Meanwhile active subscribers are left out and will progressively be willing to quit for good.

Worse, they have said that expansions make people come back, not content patches, so expect less of those and less work put into both.

tariniel

So how am I supposed to heal 25 mans on resto Druid? I did LFR for the first time over the weekend and found myself struggling with mana about halfway through each boss. I casted rejuv on people, hit wild growth a lot, dropped the mushroom on melee, tried to use clearcasting procs, used super tree/tranquility when I thought I needed to, innervated myself at every opportunity...

My ilvl is like 520 or some such, and I queued into first 3 wings of siege. We won but I felt like I was doing it wrong or something.

Also LFR sucks, no one explains anything.

Schryver

The development of WoD has been a mess. I think the character models took up way more time/resources than they expected. This is the first I hear of Farahlon being excluded... very upsetting. So far this marks the third time something major that was promised us has been changed:

2. Tanaan Jungle
3. This

Not to mention that this is the longest time WoW has gone without an update patch since its release.

Well as I believe they said this last week at Gamescom they have been hiring new people and trying to figure out the best way to create and organize new teams to better handle the aspects of development. They said it's been a struggle the past year or so but are hopeful that the new structure will help to decrease development time and make the patches come at the right times as they promised and seemed to initially deliver on in MoP. But yeah it sucks

ampere

Wasn't there whole point with the new racials not to make any one race better than the others? Like how Trolls dominated casters and pretty much all specs in ToT as well

Well since they removed snapshotting you have Troll Berserking and Orc Blood Fury losing a lot of value, but they're probably still decent. Orc's other racial is +pet damage which is only applicable when I have the Xuen talent (pretty often). My complaint is just that Orc racials are only +attack power when something like Crit gives me more active mitigation.

From a dps standpoint, the racials probably are a lot closer together. For tanking/healing there's still some that are quite a bit better than others, depending on class.

TheContact

I don't really think Bards as wearing mail. They seem more cloth or leather.

If it is a mail wearing class at the very least I would like it to have a caster DPS spec.

I think in EQ bards wore Plate and in DAOC they were reinforced. I guess they could wore whatever the developers want bards to wear. But leather would make the most sense

TheYanger

The racials are very closely balanced now. That said, the intangible racials now seem a LOT nicer because of it. IE: Runspeed on night elves? Diplomacy which and EMFH etc.

Deathknights were a huge mistake. The entire "hero" classes project instantly ceased after that. Monks were the only other thing they could do.

Let's not be silly now. Hero classses were a mistake, Death Knights were the first modern class design they had. A huge step up from every other class in the game in terms of complexity and elegance of playstyle at the time. There are STILL classes that aren't there, but I don't think it's unfair to say that Rogues were the first 'best' resource design they had, and DKs were the iteration that got us where we are now. I don't just say that because I play one, but the level of interplay between the various mechanics and resources was super synergistic and every other class has moved in that direction since then.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have no idea why EMFH stayed the same. It's like they made notice of Trolls dominating PVE but when they saw humans dominating PVP it was kinda like '....Eh it's fine'

Valnen

You think that's bad, look at my hunter =P

hunterdkcob.jpg

They plan on fixing this right? The face on the right needs SERIOUS work.

BearPawB

Banned
Deathknights were a huge mistake. The entire "hero" classes project instantly ceased after that. Monks were the only other thing they could do.

Why were death knights a huge mistake?
Serious question, not being snarky

So how am I supposed to heal 25 mans on resto Druid? I did LFR for the first time over the weekend and found myself struggling with mana about halfway through each boss. I casted rejuv on people, hit wild growth a lot, dropped the mushroom on melee, tried to use clearcasting procs, used super tree/tranquility when I thought I needed to, innervated myself at every opportunity...

My ilvl is like 520 or some such, and I queued into first 3 wings of siege. We won but I felt like I was doing it wrong or something.

No one explains anything because the content is so old at this point that everyone assumes everyone knows what they are doing.
If i were you i would youtube fights at least once before doing them. Learn the mechanics, then try.

Your ilvl is plenty for LFR, and if you won you werent doing anything too wrong.

Deathknights were a huge mistake.

I wouldn't go that far. DKs were initially ridiculous for having viable tank and dps specs down all three talent trees but once that got yanked out they're back down to earth with the rest of us mortal classes. The whole 'hero class' nomenclature was a debacle, on the other hand.

The game could tolerate another RDPS/Healer hybrid class maybe but I'm pretty content with 11 classes as it is.

BearPawB

Banned
I wouldn't go that far. DKs were initially ridiculous for having viable tank and dps specs down all three talent trees but once that got yanked out they're back down to earth with the rest of us mortal classes. The whole 'hero class' nomenclature was a debacle, on the other hand.

The game could tolerate another RDPS/Healer hybrid class maybe but I'm pretty content with 11 classes as it is.

that is my biggest thing with a new class....im not really sure what hole they would fill.
But i guess more options are always ok

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The face thing wouldn't be such a big problem if Blizzard wasn't so adamant about, 'No you see, it's totally the same face! No free recustomize for you!' There's some great Orc faces on beta that I'd love to switch to, for example.

Blizzard needs to focus even more on making individual specs different from cosmetics to gear rather than more focus on a new class.

Why were death knights a huge mistake?
Serious question, not being snarky

The abilities were amazingly good, the balance (lol Blizz specialty right there) was non-existent and they have self sufficiency that is only rivaled by maybe a Druid. If you look back you'll notice its always a Deathknight soling raid content during the same that expansion.

BearPawB

Banned
The abilities were amazingly good, the balance (lol Blizz specialty right there) was non-existent and they have self sufficiency that is only rivaled by maybe a Druid. If you look back you'll notice its always a Deathknight soling raid content during the same that expansion.

Well, ok, huge mistake temporarily. But i don't think the idea of a class that doesn't start at zero is such a bad idea.

strafer

I would have loved if they had kept the original idea of sacrificing one of your level 80's to make a DK, makes sense in that they are reborn as a DK.

I also said that shot was a few builds ago and that they've made improvements, noticeably the eyes and looking less old. I wouldn't say it was an awkward moment though, she really did look 80 all the time =P

Here's a current build shot.

chf2ycsuz.jpg

And in a different spot

chfuqslw.jpg

Edit: Lots of people will never be satisfied with the faces, but I think they're doing their best to try to get them "good enough" in most cases, and it's still a work in progress.

Schryver

I'd rather see some new specs next expansion rather than a new class.

Except the QQ would be too great when only 3 or 4 classes get new specs and everyone else is left out. The logistics and amount of work involved in developing, implementing and actually balancing 9 or 10 new specs is insane. Probably impossible actually

Valnen

Except the QQ would be too great when only 3 or 4 classes get new specs and everyone else is left out. The logistics and amount of work involved in developing, implementing and actually balancing 9 or 10 new specs is insane. Probably impossible actually

Yeah, specs are basically classes in themselves in this game.

Blizz couldn't balance what they had in vanilla lol. There's a reason the "flavor of the month" phase became a thing.

The racials are very closely balanced now. That said, the intangible racials now seem a LOT nicer because of it. IE: Runspeed on night elves? Diplomacy which and EMFH etc.

Let's not be silly now. Hero classses were a mistake, Death Knights were the first modern class design they had. A huge step up from every other class in the game in terms of complexity and elegance of playstyle at the time. There are STILL classes that aren't there, but I don't think it's unfair to say that Rogues were the first 'best' resource design they had, and DKs were the iteration that got us where we are now. I don't just say that because I play one, but the level of interplay between the various mechanics and resources was super synergistic and every other class has moved in that direction since then.

Yanger, help me be a better DK.

Anyone have a list of stuff over the years that was supposed to happen, didn't, and why it wasn't implemented? I'm really curious to see what could have been.

TheYanger

I haven't seen a screenshot where they look like that in game. And honestly, that still isn't as good as the original low res faces.

Should I take more screenshots? The humans look good, they just suffer from the fact that they have a LOT of faces in the old style and the differences are mostly emotive rather than structurally. So when they make new faces which are totally devoid of emotion by default, the differences tend to just be lipstick, eyebrow thickness/position, and wrinkles. Like, my DK when it was human had the 'mean' face.
8kw1nJU.png

I couldn't find a better screenshot of her, but that was her. When you look at the beta faces, you can tell that that's got the right eyebrows and lipstick ( I realize I made her skin a shade or two too light, so ignore the slight color difference) but no, she no longer looks 'mean' by default. That's just not gonna happen with the new animation system. But you're high if you don't think the model on the right looks really good.

Yanger, help me be a better DK.

Anyone have a list of stuff over the years that was supposed to happen, didn't, and why it wasn't implemented? I'm really curious to see what could have been.

What spec? At a basic level it's 3 energy bars and a rage bar of sorts. You spend runes to gain RP, you spend RP to gain runes (through your level 75 talent).

Dance Studio is the obvious cut content heh. Emerald Dream I suppose. The underwater raid.

Valnen

Should I take more screenshots? The humans look good, they just suffer from the fact that they have a LOT of faces in the old style and the differences are mostly emotive rather than structurally. So when they make new faces which are totally devoid of emotion by default, the differences tend to just be lipstick, eyebrow thickness/position, and wrinkles. Like, my DK when it was human had the 'mean' face.
8kw1nJU.png

I couldn't find a better screenshot of her, but that was her. When you look at the beta faces, you can tell that that's got the right eyebrows and lipstick ( I realize I made her skin a shade or two too light, so ignore the slight color difference) but no, she no longer looks 'mean' by default. That's just not gonna happen with the new animation system. But you're high if you don't think the model on the right looks really good.

The model on the right looks alright mainly because you can't see the eyes. The eyes really weird me out on the new human females. The transition from a 2D texture to 3D eyes just looks really bad in the case for human females in particular to me for some reason. It doesn't seem faithful to the original art.

They need more work. Badly. The artcraft blogpost about models not being done yet gives me hope, but my gut says I'm gonna be turning off the new models.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There was also supposedly going to be an Uldum raid which I would have killed for, but that got cut. Flying PVP combat which THANK FUCKING GOD that got cut. I think they said the big ziggaurant in Zul'Drak was supposed to be a raid too but lolno to Troll raid.

Owensboro

Holy crap, I had a friend show me through the whole Timeless Isle thing for the first time and... what the hell man? Free Epics? That's freaking craaaaaaaaaazy. That whole zone seems a hell of a lot more fun on a non-PvP server. When I tried it back on Emerald Dream forever ago I just kept getting killed over and over. It was decidedly not fun.

Now I'm starting to get this chest-hunt bug and I'm terrified to open some of these items since there is an upgrade coin or whatever. What a cool little zone! I also tried out some Scenarios and had a really good time. They're like little WoW episodes, but I can see them getting real boring once you do them for the 100th time. I got lucky and kept getting new ones each time. The
Theramore bombing
was freaking insanity.

Is anything on the Thunder Isle (or whatever) worth it other than the story? I was thinking of trying that place out but am afraid it's just a horrible grind kind of place with no payoffs. With an expansion coming so soon it seems almost silly to just grind rep for gear at this point.

They need more work. Badly. The artcraft blogpost about models not being done yet gives me hope, but my gut says I'm gonna be turning off the new models.

Look, you're never even going to see the face, unless you play with your camera looking behind you. You're going to drop the new smooth amazing animations because of a face you're dissatisfied with and can't even see 95% of the time?

StMeph

2. Tanaan Jungle
3. This

Agreed. In this sense it's similar to Cataclysm in that they focused on stuff that "everyone" would use/have access to, like character models and animations, but the amount of overhaul that went into that is going to be vastly disproportionate to how much people actually care about it, or even view it as real content. Similarly, the 1-60 overhaul was really good, but at the expense of other stuff, and that already existing analogue makes WoD seem really sketchy for max level content.

Why wait for someone to explain things? Read a guide online.

And yes, LFR sucks.

Edit:

Look, you're never even going to see the face, unless you play with your camera looking behind you. You're going to drop the new smooth amazing animations because of a face you're dissatisfied with and can't even see 95% of the time?

Dat login screen, bro.

that is my biggest thing with a new class....im not really sure what hole they would fill.
But i guess more options are always ok

I made a diagram of the various roles (RDPS, melee, tank, healer) primary stats (AGI, STR, INT) and armor class (cloth/leather/mail/plate) and discovered there's just enough room for a class that's either RDPS/Healer or RDPS/Tank hybrid that wears Strength Mail.

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom