• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually looking at it, Sudden Death does less damage than whirlwind, by a good amount. Really don't see the point of taking it then, not like I'm rage starved, and if I am I'd take the rend talent. Hope blizzard retunes it, Sudden Death should hit as hard as Mortal strike, if not harder, unless it hits harder at 100? Second wind also seems to be garbage at 90.

We got our first few kills without skipping the Terrace. Our guild leader took some goading since he quite liked the mana & CD regen that it allowed us. So, if you need time for healing CDs & mana regen you should just do it and hang back at the start so you can regen in peace.

Yeah our plan right now is to do the AFK Terrace strat to allow CDs and mana to come back up, especially since you need to blow something like 5 raid CDs at once for everyone to stand in the empowered whirling to allow the adds to all be in one spot for the brewmaster kiter (this is for 25). It's possible to skip, but probably less stable for a progression kill.

In other news, downloaded the PTR and made a pre-made, but I can't really test any shit I want to on a 463 iLvl character (ICC and Ulduar right now mainly), especially without all my addons and keybinds setup. Probably just gonna wait till character copy is back up. Getting black screen now anyway after fiddling around.

ampere

I wrote a much longer post, but I kind of wish they revisited the original talent trees.

I like the MoP tree ideas, but I don't think talents should change much when you change specs. The Monk talent tree in MoP is almost perfect, but a lot of the level 100 talents are completely different when you swap specs which kind of defeats the purpose of a class wide talent tree... hope they don't keep going in that direction.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I like the MoP tree ideas, but I don't think talents should change much when you change specs. The Monk talent tree in MoP is almost perfect, but a lot of the level 100 talents are completely different when you swap specs which kind of defeats the purpose of a class wide talent tree... hope they don't keep going in that direction.

A friend on twitter made a good point as well - the new talent system doesn't feel as rewarding. When you got a talent point it was rewarding to be able to assign it in a spot. It's not really rewarding every 15 levels to pick one of 3 items.

And yeah, I can understand the talents having some minor differences based on your spec, but they shouldn't be wildly different.

So i tired out the PTR, made a pre-made DK and Pally and headed off to the timeless isle to mess around. DPS specs seem fine, Ret and Frost were kicking butt as per normal but man Tank specs seem so fragile relative to Live.

Heals for my Pally in Ret form are 5-10k flash heals which are few in number but relatively powerful given his 45k health. but WoD and Flash heal in the same gear on the same character in Prot pect are in the 700-900 range... Just a sliver of their health. Is that intended? does it ramp up once your actually taking damage due to resolve?

I was thinking about leveling Prot in WoD but was pretty disappointed with how prot performed. Looks like i'll be going ret.

You're kidding. :( My DK has been my main since wrath because of blood. I love soloing things. If they took that away I'm going to be PISSED.

Felspawn

You're kidding. :( My DK has been my main since wrath because of blood. I love soloing things. If they took that away I'm going to be PISSED.

aside from the nerf to self healing did they get rid of Blood shield? because DS just seem to be a straight up heal. no additional mitigation, that seems to be relegated to the new rune tap

mclem

I note another mention that 6.0.2 is going to bring Mythic 20-man Siege of Orgrimmar. Has it been established what other raid options will be available at that time? I'm curious whether 10-man groups currently raiding heroic will have to double up immediately to keep going or just abandon it for the remainder of the expansion.

vocab

I note another mention that 6.0.2 is going to bring Mythic 20-man Siege of Orgrimmar. Has it been established what other raid options will be available at that time? I'm curious whether 10-man groups currently raiding heroic will have to double up immediately to keep going or just abandon it for the remainder of the expansion.

Blizzard gave plenty of time for 10 man only guilds to get ready for mythic. If they don't have 20 when 6.0 comes out, they aren't doing mythic, and are limited to heroic(normal).

Peachpies

Siege of Orgrimmar is being transitioned to the new raid format once 6.0.2 is launched. After the Patch you will be able to do Siege on Mythic, Heroic, Normal, and lfr, note that these are the new Normal and Heroic modes which do not have a raid size as they scale with the number of players (lfr scales too but still tries to make a full group). If a 10 man group is currently doing Heroic 10 man after they patch they will have to find more people to do mythic if they want to be raiding the same difficulty as before the patch.

fuzzyset

A friend on twitter made a good point as well - the new talent system doesn't feel as rewarding. When you got a talent point it was rewarding to be able to assign it in a spot. It's not really rewarding every 15 levels to pick one of 3 items.

And yeah, I can understand the talents having some minor differences based on your spec, but they shouldn't be wildly different.

I think the way the talents work now is great. Currently, when you get a talent, it's a HUGE boost. Usually its a completely new spell / mechanic that changes your rotation. No more "oh boy my Corruption casts 0.2 secs faster now!".

Before, each talent build was essentially working itself towards a few new spells. You had your big 31,41pt talents, which were usually spells or mechanics. Now, they've just removed all the excess, given you those bonuses you got along the way (instant cast Corruption!), and made the spells the thing you actually pick.

It would be nice if the talents allowed a little more hybridization (this is where talent trees worked OK), but the way the game is designed (spec system/trinity) having a battle cleric or whatever just will never replace a true dps or healer.

mclem

Blizzard gave plenty of time for 10 man only guilds to get ready for mythic. If they don't have 20 when 6.0 comes out, they aren't doing mythic, and are limited to heroic(normal).

I disagree. Prime recruiting time, in my experience, is the levelling period - so much so that I'm somewhat surprised that they'll be cutting off a raiding avenue before that's had a chance to occur.

Getting people at this stage of the expansion is highly difficult. People who are raidworthy are generally committed to other guilds. Those that aren't - the guilds have given up raiding - are not *that* common (and, to be brutally honest, less inclined to pick *us* to join up with than other options). Compare with the launch of an expansion, at which point there's a lot of people returning to the game, fresh and excited, and possibly looking for a new guild.

TheYanger

Yeah our plan right now is to do the AFK Terrace strat to allow CDs and mana to come back up, especially since you need to blow something like 5 raid CDs at once for everyone to stand in the empowered whirling to allow the adds to all be in one spot for the brewmaster kiter (this is for 25). It's possible to skip, but probably less stable for a progression kill.

In other news, downloaded the PTR and made a pre-made, but I can't really test any shit I want to on a 463 iLvl character (ICC and Ulduar right now mainly), especially without all my addons and keybinds setup. Probably just gonna wait till character copy is back up. Getting black screen now anyway after fiddling around.

Jfc, people do this? =O

Jfc, people do this? =O

Yeah it's one way to do the encounter now is blow a bunch of raid CDs and just stand in the two empowered whirlings (double checked the video and it is 5-6), effectively brute forcing it, rather than having shenanigans with moving as a group and/or gripping to a statue. Might not have been possible as possible before double upgrades, but I don't think people were doing AFK Terrace much before double upgrades hit either. My raid group is overflowing with raid CDs anyway, so it's not an issue.

ampere

Yeah it's one way to do the encounter now is blow a bunch of raid CDs and just stand in the two empowered whirlings (double checked the video and it is 5-6), effectively brute forcing it, rather than having shenanigans with moving as a group and/or gripping to a statue. Might not have been possible as possible before double upgrades, but I don't think people were doing AFK Terrace much before double upgrades hit either. My raid group is overflowing with raid CDs anyway, so it's not an issue.

If you have a Death Knight it's a lot easier to loosely spread around Garrosh and just Gorefiend's Grasp the adds together, then the Monk can pick them up. Sometimes the adds are a bit spread out and it just means I have to be on my A game or call for extra stuns

ampere

The sky is not falling, they said they'll re-tune old stuff so we can still solo. But tanks are less powerful relative to dps in 6.0. Tanks are still the best thing for tanking the boss, but not so ridiculously above dps. Ex: 5.4 a boss 1 shots a dps player, 6.0 the boss 3 shots a dps player. Something like that

aside from the nerf to self healing did they get rid of Blood shield? because DS just seem to be a straight up heal. no additional mitigation, that seems to be relegated to the new rune tap

Blood Shield is reduced, not gone.

I like the number squish. Has blizzard said they completed dps tuning or not? I know they just did tanks and they had done damage first. Just feel that some numbers are off on warrior, whirlwind seems really high, it's actually higher than slam...

ampere

I like the number squish. Has blizzard said they completed dps tuning or not? I know they just did tanks and they had done damage first. Just feel that some numbers are off on warrior, whirlwind seems really high, it's actually higher than slam...

I think tuning is almost done, but some thing will continue to change as Mythic testing finishes up.

IIRC Whirlwind is part of the single target rotation again, so the damage might be where it's supposed to be. I'm not an expert on Warrior dps though.

I don't get what was rewarding about getting a point and then putting it in for 3% extra damage or whatever. What felt rewarding was when you would reach the next tier where you could get a major 41pt talent or whatever. And in terms of levels between these it's not a whole lot different than now.

It was an archaic game mechanic and I'm glad it's gone.

vocab

Yup, it was the same problem d2 had. Cookie cutter builds were inferior and theres always a min/max spec thats better than most.

I disagree. Prime recruiting time, in my experience, is the levelling period - so much so that I'm somewhat surprised that they'll be cutting off a raiding avenue before that's had a chance to occur.

Getting people at this stage of the expansion is highly difficult. People who are raidworthy are generally committed to other guilds. Those that aren't - the guilds have given up raiding - are not *that* common (and, to be brutally honest, less inclined to pick *us* to join up with than other options). Compare with the launch of an expansion, at which point there's a lot of people returning to the game, fresh and excited, and possibly looking for a new guild.

Well we are talking about SoO mythic. A lot of people are coming back yes, but a lot of them are coming back this month and next month as well. SoO mythic still requires some level of gear, and a lot of people coming back might not even have such gear.

There is plenty of time until wod mythic. Most 10 man raiding guilds have made the switch to 25, and some are waiting till wod for the switch.

Just got a Swift White Hawkstrider from Magister's Terrace. That took like 3 days...not even exalted with SSO yet, lol.

Though the drop rate is fairly high, like 4%.

Not that I'll ever actually use it now...

Dicer

Banned
Just got a Swift White Hawkstrider from Magister's Terrace. That took like 3 days...not even exalted with SSO yet, lol.

Though the drop rate is fairly high, like 4%.

Not that I'll ever actually use it now...

CSI-FuckYou.gif

I've got mine, but it took...YEARS

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o128/mindatlrg/CSI-FuckYou.gif[IMG]

I've got mine, but it took...YEARS[/QUOTE]
i should hop over and get this. i tried for it before the farming changes but had no luck. i imagine it wouldnt take very long with 9 chances per day.

Shosai

Banned
I don't get what was rewarding about getting a point and then putting it in for 3% extra damage or whatever. What felt rewarding was when you would reach the next tier where you could get a major 41pt talent or whatever. And in terms of levels between these it's not a whole lot different than now.

The per-level gains were smaller, but they accumulated over time into a build that felt a lot more unique. Because there were more decisions involved in the old talent trees, it felt a lot more accomplishing to plan out where to spread out 30-40 talent points. Sure, there was the occasional "mandatory talent" you had to dump 5 points into, but at least they would serve as a stepping stone onto greater talent unlocks. And often times those talent dumps would be considered mandatory because they were so drat good, it's not every level that you get to boost your base crit rate by 2%. Your character felt more like something carefully hand-crafted, even if it the feeling was a phony sense of accomplishment, it was still there.

And when I did simply look up talent specs online, I felt rewarded by the irrational feeling that I was somehow gaming the system by doing so and building a character that was automatically better than a good 40% of the playerbase. And if you did use a garbage build, it's not like you were hampered from effectively grinding to compensate

Now the talent system feels too much like Diablo 3. There's no consequence and no feeling of accomplishment.

i should hop over and get this. i tried for it before the farming changes but had no luck. i imagine it wouldnt take very long with 9 chances per day.

It's a pretty quick run too, unlike say, going to do Tempest Keep or EoE. Just take the Shattrath port and take the port to the Isle of Quel'Danas from there. I've been killing the trash for rep, but if you don't care you can skip pretty much all of it.

Might have to get back to Rivendare runs at some point too.

And I'm definitely looking forward to being able to solo H Lich King every week however many times at 100 for Invincible. Yogg solos should be significantly easier too without having to deal with Thorim BS (I've done it on my Lock but it's really not worth the effort compared to just duoing).

Sure, there was the occasional "mandatory talent" you had to dump 5 points into, but at least they would serve as a stepping stone onto greater talent unlocks. And often times those talent dumps would be considered mandatory because they were so drat good, it's not every level that you get to boost your base crit rate by 2%.

Clearly we didn't play the same game because I assure you "mandatory talents" were in the trees much more than occasionally. There's a reason cookie cutter builds existed and why some talents were never chosen in any build.

There was obviously some variation - as a Disc Priest in WotLK I was either 54/17 or 57/14 depending on whether I wanted to Smite a lot. But there is more variation in talent choice and changes in gameplay as a result of that variation today than there was back then.

I've always thought things like gems and (to a lesser degree) enchants were better ways to have a "hand-crafted" character. Haste is my favorite stat in the game for a lot of reasons and even when it's not conventional or "optimal" I will almost always go for haste over something like crit or mastery when gemming my gear.

I think tuning is almost done, but some thing will continue to change as Mythic testing finishes up.

IIRC Whirlwind is part of the single target rotation again, so the damage might be where it's supposed to be. I'm not an expert on Warrior dps though.

Yeah I know its a rage dump but its better than slam, a dump that you talent for. They definitely have to do atleast one more pass.

lazygecko

Went to the Ironforge target dummies instead on the PTR since the others are so damn crowded, and was very perplexed over the fact that I was doing way more damage than my total hp, even for white damage. Then I found out that you get a big damage boost against lower level targets, and vice versa versus higher levels. Not sure how I feel abou that change.

Also, the one thing I dislike the most about the new talent design is how they're increasingly relying on contextual talents that change drastically depending on your spec. I don't really like this type of band-aidy design.

The sky is not falling, they said they'll re-tune old stuff so we can still solo. But tanks are less powerful relative to dps in 6.0. Tanks are still the best thing for tanking the boss, but not so ridiculously above dps. Ex: 5.4 a boss 1 shots a dps player, 6.0 the boss 3 shots a dps player. Something like that

Blood Shield is reduced, not gone.

It could be falling. lol

I just hope the tuning isn't so bad that it felt like BC. I remember when my warrior felt powerful in Vanilla, then got nerfed to shit in BC. It made me quit. lol

Jag

It's a pretty quick run too, unlike say, going to do Tempest Keep or EoE. Just take the Shattrath port and take the port to the Isle of Quel'Danas from there. I've been killing the trash for rep, but if you don't care you can skip pretty much all of it.

Might have to get back to Rivendare runs at some point too.

And I'm definitely looking forward to being able to solo H Lich King every week however many times at 100 for Invincible. Yogg solos should be significantly easier too without having to deal with Thorim BS (I've done it on my Lock but it's really not worth the effort compared to just duoing).

Did they bump up the drop rate on Rivendare or the Raven too?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
No he's not. Mine crashes regularly, so does my wife's.

I've heard of a few people have problems with it, and it's always a problem on their end, missing video drivers, corrupt install, etc. They always like to blame the app though instead of their busted shit.

If it was a widespread problem, it'd be addressed more.

The pros of the launcher far outweigh the cons. In game chat, automatic login for all games. The only real con of it is that it isn't built into Steam, but that's never going to happen.

Find your error code, google it, and fix it.

My b.net isn't buggy (thats not to say there aren't issues) but PTR is crashing on weird stuff like when I change video settings. Had to manually change the config video file to get full screen windowed mode. Could be my catalyst drivers though, haven't updated them in a few months.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
My b.net isn't buggy (thats not to say there aren't issues) but PTR is crashing on weird stuff like when I change video settings. Had to manually change the config video file to get full screen windowed mode. Could be my catalyst drivers though, haven't updated them in a few months.

That's a known bug on the PTR, im getting a crash whenever i try to change antialiasing too.

The game, even without the new WoD zones, just looks so much better. It's not just the Character models, although that is huge. A ton of gimpy spells like portals and incinerate look a lot better now, and the highlight feature is great. It must be because I played Wildstar or something, but I love all these things I've seen slowly build up over the past 6 months finally all come together \, and it looks rad.

M.D

Can someone clarify what is the item squish going to affect? Are they just changing the numbers so a raid boss won't have 500 million hp and your damage won't be a huge number, but you will still do the same amount of damage relative to his hp?

Diodiablo

Banned
Can someone clarify what is the item squish going to affect? Are they just changing the numbers so a raid boss won't have 500 million hp and your damage won't be a huge number, but you will still do the same amount of damage relative to his hp?

Exactly this.

Alex

What is a good guess for when the 6.x patch will hit live servers? Isn't typically about a month before expansion launch for these? Coming back with a few friends, haven't played since mid-Cataclysm, expansion looks great though and the current MMO I play is falling short, to say the least.

I have absolutely no damned idea what I will play. I have two expansions worth of class onslaught to read over later.

Guy with apparently 3 Blood DK bots (unkillable) is cross-realming one of them onto Mal'Ganis at my farming spot Zzz.

Was there the other day, but I just figured it was another dude there, fine, cool. But no, some more snooping and it's 3 Blood DKs in the same guild, at the same rank, boosted to 90 on the same day, and the only achievement of note are Looted 10k and looted 25k gold all on the same days. Though I think the guy actually played them through LFR (unless you can bot that too, probably you can) to get them the absolute minimum of gear.

Reported him, but I want to live chat with someone so I can get his ass(es) banned.

Kraftwerk

What is a good guess for when the 6.x patch will hit live servers? Isn't typically about a month before expansion launch for these? Coming back with a few friends, haven't played since mid-Cataclysm, expansion looks great though and the current MMO I play is falling short, to say the least.

I have absolutely no damned idea what I will play. I have two expansions worth of class onslaught to read over later.

Safe bet is first or second week of October.

I've heard of a few people have problems with it, and it's always a problem on their end, missing video drivers, corrupt install, etc. They always like to blame the app though instead of their busted shit.

If it was a widespread problem, it'd be addressed more.

The pros of the launcher far outweigh the cons. In game chat, automatic login for all games. The only real con of it is that it isn't built into Steam, but that's never going to happen.

Find your error code, google it, and fix it.

Is there a reason why you're always seem to go out of your way to respond in the most dickish way you can? Seriously, this is the second or third time you've replied to me like I'm a moron. The only reason I replied to you was because you did the same thing to someone else and said someone was "doing it wrong" because they mentioned an issue with the launcher. Then you do the same thing over again. I'm not some fucking child, and I'm not an idiot. Neither is anybody else in this thread. Don't talk down to me or anybody else. People know how to google. I googled my issue and put in a ticket and Blizzard couldn't help me. So stop being an asshole. It's not unbelievable that something crashes or that something might have a problem, since there are literally hundreds of thousands of pc setups out there. It's also not unbelievable that something could be incompatible, and it's also not unbelievable that the b.net launcher could have issues. Plenty of products have had issues and a company won't come out and go "Yeah, we know there's some issues."

The idea that "if it was a widespread problem, it would be addressed more" is a fallacy. There are dozens of industries where things are not fixed even if there is a widespread problem. Look at all the hardware issues Sony has had over the years, and they still deny them. Asus is catching fire for their current crop of routers because they overheat. Asus knew they had a heat issue because the initial build of the RT series had a fan inside the router but then ASUS removed it. They're handling the warranty issues rather than coming out and saying "THis shit is a problem". With WoW itself, there are tons of people who have things fuck up each time there's a patch. Yes, some if it is because people don't have updated drivers or whatever the fuck, but that isn't always the case. There are legit issues that happen that have nothing to do with the user. Diablo III still has a stutter problem due to server side issues. So no, "If it was a widespread problem, it'd be addressed more." isn't exactly true and acting like this can't happen and everyone should just google their problem and fix it is ridiculous.

Anyway. Got my third set of challenge mode armor last night. I now have the DK, Paladin, and Warrior. The warrior set has an interesting effect. The horns on the helm and the shoulder pads emit an orange glow when I walk or run and then it fades if I stop. I wasn't expecting that and didn't see that in any videos. I think we're going to knock out the lock set next. Anybody here have it? I know it has a wing visual effect, what else does it have? Hopefully it goes well, I'm really bad as a caster class. I'm hoping it'll be relatively easier than doing it on the 3 dps classes I did it on. Challenge modes tend to favor casters rather than Melee.

I know a few people in here have done CMs, what order do you find yourself doing them in, easiest to hardest? We always end up doing the klaxxi one first. I found the Scarlett Monestary CMs to be the easiest. Anybody else?

ampere

Exactly this.

Essentially the squish is doing the following (numbers not exact):

HP -> 1/16, DPS -> 1/16, Healing -> 1/16, Enemy health -> 1/16, Enemy Damage -> 1/16

So player damage to NPCs will stay relatively the same.

Though on top of that, player HP is being doubled. The idea is to make the game less bursty like they tried in Cata. We'll see how it works out. And additionally enemy damage is being reduced by... say 25%, and tank mitigation and health is being reduced by 25% as well.

So TLDR: all numbers are smaller, player health pools are relatively bigger and enemies hit relatively less hard on non-tanks.

Essentially the squish is doing the following (numbers not exact):

HP -> 1/16, DPS -> 1/16, Healing -> 1/16, Enemy health -> 1/16, Enemy Damage -> 1/16

So player damage to NPCs will stay relatively the same.

Though on top of that, player HP is being doubled. The idea is to make the game less bursty like they tried in Cata. We'll see how it works out. And additionally enemy damage is being reduced by... say 25%, and tank mitigation and health is being reduced by 25% as well.

So TLDR: all numbers are smaller, player health pools are relatively bigger and enemies hit relatively less hard on non-tanks.

I got a beta invite. Really tempted to try it out but I don't want to ruin anything for myself and I don't want to download it.

Has anyone messed around with DKs at all? I'm curious about the changes for unholy.

ciaossu, you said they were doing something else to raids (old ones) as far as soloability, right? I remember reading a few weeks ago that people were doing 2 million crits in beta on old raids. Have you run anything lately raid wise? Can you confirm this is still the case? Or do I have it confused and you aren't even in the beta? lol

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
New Lords of War today btw

Durotan

Kind of weird how there even is a Lords of War for him, since the whole premise is Maraad telling Wrynn about the warlords to prepare him for the coming war. Since Durotan isn't part of the Iron Horde, and wasn't even really part of the original horde in our/Maraad's timeline, it seems like he wouldn't even really be relevant in the framing as a sort of war briefing.

Wunder

Kind of weird how there even is a Lords of War for him, since the whole premise is Maraad telling Wrynn about the warlords to prepare him for the coming war. Since Durotan isn't part of the Iron Horde, and wasn't even really part of the original horde in our/Maraad's timeline, it seems like he wouldn't even really be relevant in the framing as a sort of war briefing.

Might be trying to frame it as either a potential non-hostile orc or an ally to the current Horde. We'll see how they set it up

ampere

ciaossu, you said they were doing something else to raids (old ones) as far as soloability, right? I remember reading a few weeks ago that people were doing 2 million crits in beta on old raids. Have you run anything lately raid wise? Can you confirm this is still the case? Or do I have it confused and you aren't even in the beta? lol

Yeah I have beta access and that is still true. I have not personally done any old raids on beta, but I've read posts from people who have. For example if you hit a Squirrel (level 1 critter) on beta as a level 90 you do 2 million damage or something stupid. And that's with the item squish. I think the maximum bonus is 16.5x damage done and the minimum for damage taken is 10%.

Here's the nitty gritty, but this post is old so it's possible these values have changed a bit.

Celestalon on June 10th said:
Players vs Lower Level Creatures, Damage Taken/Dealt Adjustments
Here are the details about how you'll still be able to solo old raids (without being Mione). This includes pseudo-code, so get your imaginary interpreters ready.

Damage Taken Reduction
All players receive a damage reduction factor when attacked by a creature that is lower level. This applies only to creatures from expansions prior to Mists of Pandaria. All damage taken from qualifying creatures is multiplied by DamageTakenFactor, as determined below:
LevelDiff = PlayerLevel - CreatureLevel
if (CreatureExpansion < Pandaria) then
// 10% DR per level diff, with a floor of 10%
DamageTakenFactor = max(1.0 - 0.1 * LevelDiff, 0.1)
else
DamageTakenFactor = 1.0
end

Damage Dealt Increase
All players receive a damage increase factor when dealing damage to a creature that is lower level. This applies only to creatures from expansions prior to Mists of Pandaria. All damage dealt to qualifying creatures is multiplied by DamageDealtFactor, as determined below:
LevelDiff = PlayerLevel - CreatureLevel
if (CreatureExpansion >= Pandaria) then
DamageDealtFactor = 1.0
elseif (LevelDiff < 5) then
// Ranges from 1.0625 to 1.25 vs. 1-4 LevelDiffs
DamageDealtFactor = 1 + 0.0625 * LevelDiff
elseif (LevelDiff < 10) then
// Ranges from 4.0 to 6.0 vs. 5-9 LevelDiffs
DamageDealtFactor = 1.5 + 0.5 * LevelDiff
else
// Maximum factor of 16.5 vs. 10+ LevelDiffs
DamageDealtFactor = 16.5
end

Alternate Inter-Expansion Damage Adjustments
We also want to provide power growth within an expansion, despite the fact that we've flattened the ilvl power curve within each old expansion. This applies only to creatures from expansions prior to Mists of Pandaria. To do that, we calculate an alternate set of damage dealt/taken factors, and use either these ones, or the normal ones, whichever is most beneficial to the player.
MaxPlayerLevelsByExpansion = {69, 79, 84, 89, 0, 0}
IntendedItemLevelByExpansion = {65, 115, 200, 346, 0, 0}
MaxPlayerLevel = MaxPlayerLevelsByExpansion[CreatureExpansion]
IntendedItemLevel = IntendedItemLevelByExpansion[CreatureExpansion]

if (PlayerLevel <= MaxPlayerLevel and
PlayerEquippedItemLevel > IntendedItemLevel) then
AlternateDamageTakenFactor = 1 - 0.01 * (PlayerEquippedItemLevel - IntendedItemLevel)
AlternateDamageDealtFactor = 1 + 5/3*0.01 * (PlayerEquippedItemLevel - IntendedItemLevel)
DamageTakenFactor = min(DamageTakenFactor, AlternateDamageTakenFactor)
DamageDealtFactor = max(DamageDealtFactor, AlternateDamageDealtFactor)
end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom