• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Care to give some examples of those epic quest chains? I don't mind spoiling myself since I want my experience in WoW as entertaining as possible.
You really just go by zones. Through questing the game will guide you to chains within zones that are level appropriate for you. Also depends on if you're horde or alliance.

For alliance, I remember loving both Eastern and Western Plaguelands, Blasted Lands, Redridge, Stranglethorn Vale, Duskwood, Darkshore and Westfall. And those are just off the top of my head, probably forgetting some.

60-70 is Outlands and isn't all that great to be honest. I just trying to get to 68 as quickly as possible through dungeons and some quests so that I can go to Northrend.

Nothrend will last you from 68 to 80 and is a massive improvement over Outlands with some amazing questlines. Howling Fjord is the best starter zone there in my opinion, then after that Grizzly Hills and Dragonblight. For your last zone you have either Icecrown or Storm Peaks. Both are great so you can't go wrong.

At 80 most people would say Mount Hyjal, though I like Vashj'ir. But either is good. And then you don't really have choices until you go to Pandaria at 85 and all those zones are good so it doesn't really matter.

Felspawn

Nothrend will last you from 68 to 80 and is a massive improvement over Outlands with some amazing questlines. Howling Fjord is the best starter zone there in my opinion, then after that Grizzly Hills and Dragonblight. For your last zone you have either Icecrown or Storm Peaks. Both are great so you can't go wrong.

At 80 most people would say Mount Hyjal, though I like Vashj'ir. But either is good. And then you don't really have choices until you go to Pandaria at 85 and all those zones are good so it doesn't really matter.

In Northrend i'd be surprised if people need to go past Dragonblight before hitting 78 and being able to start Cataclysm zones.

and no F'ing way with Vashj'ir, i did that place once and will never do it again. Mt Hyjal every time if you ask me.

Karl Hawk

Banned
You really just go by zones. Through questing the game will guide you to chains within zones that are level appropriate for you. Also depends on if you're horde or alliance.

For alliance, I remember loving both Eastern and Western Plaguelands, Blasted Lands, Redridge, Stranglethorn Vale, Duskwood, Darkshore and Westfall. And those are just off the top of my head, probably forgetting some.

60-70 is Outlands and isn't all that great to be honest. I just trying to get to 68 as quickly as possible through dungeons and some quests so that I can go to Northrend.

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. ;)

Whatever the case, I'll try to keep it in mind.

Fjordson

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. ;)

Whatever the case, I'll keep it in mind.
No problem. And if you ever want some guidance from the game on where to level next, go to the Hero's Call Board in Stormwind and accept the quest it gives you. It'll tell you to report to an NPC in a zone appropriate for your level and steer you to some quests. You literally start at the front entrance of Stormwind and run straight for a bit until you hit it: http://www.wowhead.com/object=206111/heros-call-board

In Northrend i'd be surprised if people need to go past Dragonblight before hitting 78 and being able to start Cataclysm zones.

and no F'ing way with Vashj'ir, i did that place once and will never do it again. Mt Hyjal every time if you ask me.
Haha, yeah like I said, most people I know will say Hyjal every time, but I honestly love Vashj'ir for some reason.

Prodigal

Banned
Trying to figure out the best way to use my elixir of ancient knowledge. I havent done much of the pet battles so I can't use the dailies to boost.

Trying to figure out the best way to use my elixir of ancient knowledge. I havent done much of the pet battles so I can't use the dailies to boost.

I think the recommended method right now is to get boosted through Stonecore from 80-85. And it takes like 20 minutes.

Though I suppose it depends on which part if leveling you hate the most.

The problem is that people want to go for gold. I don'T care about the transmog, I just want the mounts! :p

Guy(s) in my guild will do referrals for 9/9 gold for ~70k. Though price may increase the closer we get to 6.0 and depending on class/if you're a big drag. Mal'Ganis as you should know.

Lemme know if interested. Otherwise I wish you the best in your search for a group! Know it can be hard.

M.D

DK is a great class, both fun and effective. You actually start at level 55. Frost tends to be easier to play with better burst damage which makes it popular. also some people dont like the micromanagement needed with a pet. DKs do have a little bit of a scaling issue too which makes them very powerful at lower ilevels but they tend to fall off towards the high reaches of the game. Still a great class and one of my two favorites (along side my Paladin)

No one talks about unholy because it's harder to play.

You do more damage, but it's not just first come first serve rotation.

Thanks for the answers.

What sort of scaling issues are we talking about? I'm looking to play Frost since tank requires a lot of knowledge about the raids that I don't really have

Are they still viable at raids and can solo old content like other classes at 90? I'm assuming just a bit weaker on the damage output?

vocab

Thanks for the answers.

What sort of scaling issues are we talking about? I'm looking to play Frost since tank requires a lot of knowledge about the raids that I don't really have

Are they still viable at raids and can solo old content like other classes at 90? I'm assuming just a bit weaker on the damage output?

A 90 frost dk can blow threw old content like its nothing. You need an offspec though. 25h LK is just so trival when you have blood shield up 100% of the time.

Lower level scaling isnt really something you should worry about. If we were raiding new content in 522 gear sure.

There is no scalable content except CM/proving grounds.

Tacitus_

Care to give some examples of those epic quest chains? I don't mind spoiling myself since I want my experience in WoW as entertaining as possible.

Well to put it simply, the later the quests were put in, the better they are. So Outland has this weird dip in quality now and the lone awesome questline there requires way too much effort to do. Wrathgate has a great payoff in Northrend (Dragonblight chain), then one questchain that stuck to my mind in Cataclysm was the Twilight Highlands quest where you get inside a gaping old god-y maw in the ground.

Karl Hawk

Banned
No problem. And if you ever want some guidance from the game on where to level next, go to the Hero's Call Board in Stormwind and accept the quest it gives you. It'll tell you to report to an NPC in a zone appropriate for your level and steer you to some quests. You literally start at the front entrance of Stormwind and run straight for a bit until you hit it: http://www.wowhead.com/object=206111/heros-call-board

Hmm, that link show hero call's quests for Alliance players. Since I'm on the Horde side, Is there something similar to that for Horde-oriented players?

mylasthope

Neo Member
Can someone explain the carrying process? I recently resubbed and am way too undergeared for raiding. I'd like to get the garrosh heirlooms once 6.0 hits and to make sure I don't get scammed. I play ally on a medium pop server if that makes a difference.

Tacitus_

Good to hear! That should keep myself busy doing those Warchief's Command quests if I ever feel like leveling my character.

Do note that those quests are just breadcrumb quests, ie they telly you which zone to go next for leveling. The NPCs in the zones will guide you further along.

Felspawn

So i tired out the PTR, made a pre-made DK and Pally and headed off to the timeless isle to mess around. DPS specs seem fine, Ret and Frost were kicking butt as per normal but man Tank specs seem so fragile relative to Live.

Heals for my Pally in Ret form are 5-10k flash heals which are few in number but relatively powerful given his 45k health. but WoD and Flash heal in the same gear on the same character in Prot pect are in the 700-900 range... Just a sliver of their health. Is that intended? does it ramp up once your actually taking damage due to resolve?

I was thinking about leveling Prot in WoD but was pretty disappointed with how prot performed. Looks like i'll be going ret.

In a follow up to this , I over reacted to the tanking nerfs. In particular Blood is actually still kicking butt. no worries to anyone that's going to be leveling as blood when WoD lands

ampere

Got my green fire done yesterday. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, took an hour and a half or something (527 ilevel)

Did that just last week. Was a lot harder than I expected, but then again I don't really know how to Warlock. Ended up looking at a guide and prob took 2 hours (flask about to wear off). I think my lock is 511

Fjordson

Hmm, that link show hero call's quests for Alliance players. Since I'm on the Horde side, Is there something similar to that for Horde-oriented players?
Oops, sorry. Yeah, like Tacitus said there will be similar ones in Orgrimmar. Good for leading you to a zone if you don't already have one in mind.

Fularu

Banned
That price for a carry for people who know someone in the guild. Randoms they charge the more typical 90-110k or so. But yeah.
70k? Well I have about 400k between my char and I never use that gold... Maybe... Thing is, I'm not bad and don't need to be caried, I just want the mount :p

Entropia

No One Remembers
Legendary Cloak questline removed when WoD launches. WoD legendary item named (I think this is the first time naming it?)
As your journey takes you from Pandaria to Draenor, we wanted to extend one last opportunity to obtain your Legendary Cloak—and share some important updates related to this iconic item.

Legendary Cloak Changes: Once More unto the Breach
As a part of the transition from Mists of Pandaria to Warlords of Draenor, we’ll be making some changes to the Legendary Cloak quest line and ultimately closing it out as players head into the new expansion. Once the quest is fully closed, the item will no longer be attainable, and the cloak will become a symbol of the great deeds you’ve accomplished in Mists of Pandaria.

With the release of the pre-expansion patch (6.0.2), players who are not already on the journey through this quest line will no longer be able to begin it. We will also be removing the Test of Valor step with patch 6.0.2 as a part of our transition from using Valor as a currency.

Once Warlords of Draenor launches on November 13, the Legendary Cloak quest line will be gone entirely—the quests and the cloak will no longer be obtainable, and any related in-progress quests will be cleared from your log.

But when one door closes, another door opens. In Warlords of Draenor, players will have the opportunity to earn a new Legendary item available exclusively in the new expansion: Khadgar’s Band of the Archmage.

The Gaze of the Black Prince: One Last Look

If you haven’t yet earned your Legendary Cloak, you still have one final opportunity to make accelerated progress on your quest. Rather than end the Gaze of the Black Prince buff on Tuesday, September 16 (as previously announced), the buff will remain active until the release of the Warlords of Draenor pre-patch (6.0.2). This buff increases the reputation gained with the Black Prince by 100%. It also increases the chance of obtaining items from his foes needed as a part of the Legendary Cloak quest line, including Secrets of the Empire, Sigil of Wisdom, Sigil of Power, and Titan Runestones.

Good luck on your quest, but remember that your voyage doesn’t end here. Soon, you’ll be setting your sights on the new Legendary item, Khadgar’s Band of the Archmage, in Warlords of Draenor.

Fjordson

I think they said earlier it was a ring, yah.
Oh :lol mystery solved.

I like the questline legendary idea. It can be a pain in the ass during the process for sure, but I liked the some of the lore and the sense of accomplishment after I was done. And of course the DPS gain.

ampere

Interesting that the cloak quest is going away. I wonder if the Black Prince rep will be impossible to get as well, or if you can still grind mobs for it.

Khadgar's Band..sounds like a ring, no?

They said there is a ring legendary that everyone can get the like the cloaks, and they might add some more rare legendaries as well.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting that the cloak quest is going away. I wonder if the Black Prince rep will be impossible to get as well, or if you can still grind mobs for it.

They said there is a ring legendary that everyone can get the like the cloaks, and they might add some more rare legendaries as well.
I hope Raid Finder won't be a way to obtain this legendary ring. Bring on more challenging content like the scenario The Thunder Forge where you have to defeat a bunch of Sha and and empower a lance, or Celestial Blessings where you have to defeat or defend Wrathion. If I can avoid Raid Finder completely in WoD, at least in terms of aquiring Khadgar's Band of the Archmage, it will be good.

fuzzyset

I started the Cloak quest back in March but stopped playing WoW and that character over the summer. I'm on the Secrets of the Empire and Trillium Bars quest. How much longer do I have? How many SoO clears do I need for the 20 bars (I can do ToT too right?)? I know the quest isn't supposed to be easy but I started a new toon with some friends so most of my WoW time is put towards the new guy. It would be cool to complete the quest though.

Not that I was going to do another cloak anyway, but it's kind of depressing that they're removing the ability to acquire it entirely. That's unprecedented.

Had I known that, I might have put in the effort to earn it on another character or two.

Still having it on two toons is plenty. I'm not one of those crazies with cloaks on 11 characters.

If I started now fresh on a third it would be cutting it extremely close, even without having to do a Test of Valor.

Felspawn

considering how much easier this legendary is relative to previous ones, i guess it makes sense to remove the option to get it. That said i'm glad they didnt remove Shadowmourne, i'll finish that thing one of these days......

I assume you'll still be able to access the stuff from the Black Prince vendors?

Cause I never bought the tanking cloak. I should tweet at them or something about that.

Fularu

Banned
Not that I was going to do another cloak anyway, but it's kind of depressing that they're removing the ability to acquire it entirely. That's unprecedented.

Had I known that, I might have put in the effort to earn it on another character or two.

Still having it on two toons is plenty. I'm not one of those crazies with cloaks on 11 characters.

If I started now fresh on a third it would be cutting it extremely close, even without having to do a Test of Valor.
It's not unprecedented.

You can't get any t3 item, the AQ scepter/mount/quest line items, the ZG/ZA items/mounts, the T7 reward mounts, etc

Fjordson

The ZG tiger still kills me. One of my 2-3 favourite ground mounts in the game. Ran it so many times before they got rid of it, but it just wasn't meant to be =[

Felspawn

The Test of Valor is a big Pita, thats at least 3 weeks of just farming valor by itself, not to mention the need to farm all the various tokens.... i'm on week 3 myself on my Horde Paladin. All this news will get my ass in gear for finishing the cloak on my DK

The ZG tiger still kills me. One of my 2-3 favourite ground mounts in the game. Ran it so many times before they got rid of it, but it just wasn't meant to be =[

It'll be on the BMAH in Warlords. Have fun reaching gold cap!

(I love mine to pieces, though my Spectral Tiger is pretty hot too).

Legendary Cloak questline removed when WoD launches. WoD legendary item named (I think this is the first time naming it?)

So how are you supposed to reach Ordon sanctuary once the questline is gone? Albatross only? Cheese it from the ocean using a flying mount and a pandaren kite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom