• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Burdened some legs, so now I'm up to 534 ilevel and my hit is no longer 1% above 7.5. So pretty much all my stats are where they need to be til reset when I can start getting some new gear.

educator

Hey,

I played WoW between 2007-2008 and haven't touched it since. I enjoyed it very much but but I lost interest when it became clear that it required too much of my time. Fast forward 'til today and I don't really play that much, and I've been looking for one game that I could play and spend some time on.

My question is; I if buy WoW today (with a new account, my old one is long gone), do I have to start from level 1 or do I start from 80/85. I think I read somewhere that new players are auto-leveled, but I might be wrong.

Anyone care to answer?

Thanks! =)

Tamanon

Banned
Hey,

I played WoW between 2007-2008 and haven't touched it since. I enjoyed it very much but but I lost interest when it became clear that it required too much of my time. Fast forward 'til today and I don't really play that much, and I've been looking for one game that I could play and spend some time on.

My question is; I if buy WoW today (with a new account, my old one is long gone), do I have to start from level 1 or do I start from 80/85. I think I read somewhere that new players are auto-leveled, but I might be wrong.

Anyone care to answer?

Thanks! =)

1 for now unless it is a death knight. Soon you will get a free 90 with the new expansion. The old world has changed at least so it is easier and better leveling.

fuzzyset

Hey,

Anyone care to answer?

Thanks! =)

If you get a scroll of resurrection, you start at 80 (new toons or old toon leveled straight to 80). They are removing these on Tuesday, so you basically have to do it now. PM me if you want one.

I just started (got a scroll). It's so much better now. It's so much more accessible. There's a lot to do. I play with 2 other friends and scenarios are a lot of fun.

educator

1 for now unless it is a death knight. Soon you will get a free 90 with the new expansion. The old world has changed at least so it is easier and better leveling.

Thanks, I'll probably wait until that expansion comes out though. I find Pandaren very interesting, so im really keen to start playing, but going from 1-90 seems like a pretty tough (?) ride playing solo.

fuzzyset said:
If you get a scroll of resurrection, you start at 80 (new toons or old toon leveled straight to 80). They are removing these on Tuesday, so you basically have to do it now. PM me if you want one.

I just started (got a scroll). It's so much better now. It's so much more accessible. There's a lot to do. I play with 2 other friends and scenarios are a lot of fun.

Thanks! I'll wait though. Do they hand these out from time to time or was it a limited thing?

fuzzyset

Thanks! I'll wait though. Do they hand these out from time to time or was it a limited thing?

This isn't the first time they've done it. It was for the lull between patch 5.4 and the new xpac. Apparently if you pre-order WoD, you get a free 90, so there's definitely no rush, but the Scrolls will probably be gone for a while.

That being said, there's a lot of fun content to see if you've been gone for a while. The new raids are fun + duo/solo-ing old content I haven't done. PVP is enjoyable as always. If you're looking for something to play, a scroll will get you into the fray pretty quickly. 'Gearing up' isn't much of an issue anymore. With Timeless Isle, you can get into LFR raids within a few hours of hitting 90. I've been steam-rolling Heroic 5mans for Justice --> Honor points, so I'll have a decent set of PVP gear waiting to be purchased when the new season starts tomorrow.

edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/1mkwf8/faq_im_a_fresh_90_how_do_i_gear_up_patch_54/ is a good guide. I've been 90 for ~week and already at ilvl 502. ilvl 496 within a day or so. It'd probably be higher but I've been hesitant to Q for ToT/Siege LFR because I'm not super confident in my healing yet. Still getting used to raid healing.

educator

This isn't the first time they've done it. It was for the lull between patch 5.4 and the new xpac. Apparently if you pre-order WoD, you get a free 90, so there's definitely no rush, but the Scrolls will probably be gone for a while.

That being said, there's a lot of fun content to see if you've been gone for a while. The new raids are fun + duo/solo-ing old content I haven't done. PVP is enjoyable as always. If you're looking for something to play, a scroll will get you into the fray pretty quickly. 'Gearing up' isn't much of an issue anymore. With Timeless Isle, you can get into LFR raids within a few hours of hitting 90. I've been steam-rolling Heroic 5mans for Justice --> Honor points, so I'll have a decent set of PVP gear waiting to be purchased when the new season starts tomorrow.

edit: http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/1mkwf8/faq_im_a_fresh_90_how_do_i_gear_up_patch_54/ is a good guide. I've been 90 for ~week and already at ilvl 502. ilvl 496 within a day or so. It'd probably be higher but I've been hesitant to Q for ToT/Siege LFR because I'm not super confident in my healing yet. Still getting used to raid healing.

Thanks again, I might just pre-order it then! Do you know when it comes out?

Sounds good, it would be very difficult to join the rest of the community if it was as "hard" to level as it was back in vanilla. I actually have no interest in raiding or PVPing, I prefer RP. I know that might sound weird, but the world of Warcraft (pun intended) really fascinates me. Beautiful scenery, interesting lore and cool characters is what makes me want to come back and play it. I might be wrong, but I don't have to raid to progress right?

I'll look into the guide, I've forgotten a lot of things! Also, I have no idea what 'ToT, LFR, xpac or Q' is, haha. =)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
educator said:
I find Pandaren very interesting, so im really keen to start playing, but going from 1-90 seems like a pretty tough (?) ride playing solo.

Lvling in WoW these days is so stupid easy that some people hit a brick wall when they reach lvl 90, because raids are asking for you to pay attention and know a good spell rotation for your class, which isn't the case while lvling. You could basically go from 1 to 90 by spamming 1 spell and by standing on fire and never interrupting any enemy spells if you want.

Salamando

Thanks again, I might just pre-order it then! Do you know when it comes out?

Sounds good, it would be very difficult to join the rest of the community if it was as "hard" to level as it was back in vanilla. I actually have no interest in raiding or PVPing, I prefer RP. I know that might sound weird, but the world of Warcraft (pun intended) really fascinates me. Beautiful scenery, interesting lore and cool characters is what makes me want to come back and play it. I might be wrong, but I don't have to raid to progress right?

I'll look into the guide, I've forgotten a lot of things! Also, I have no idea what 'ToT, LFR, xpac or Q' is, haha. =)

We have no clue when the next expansion is coming out. Best guesses are July-Sept.

You only want a Scroll of Res. if you're reactivating an old account. If you're buying a new one, PM someone to Recruit-a-friend you. You get a trial up to lvl 20. PM someone here to ask for one.

Leveling now is very easy. You don't have to go back to the trainer to learn new skills, talent points are learned every 15 levels and there are no real wrong choices, and they put out breadcrumb quests to direct you to the zone you should be leveling in. They also implemented a thing called "Looking for Dungeon". You specify a role, and it automatically finds you a group for a level-appropriate dungeon.

fuzzyset

It'll probably release in the fall, but apparently if you pre-order the digital edition, you'll get the free 90 right away. They should open pre-orders soon as the patch going live tomorrow includes the infrastructure to create insta-90s.

Sorry for the acronyms: ToT = Throne of Thunder (2nd hardest raid currently), LFR = Looking for Raid (basically pick-up raids that are easier than normal raids. drops worse gear but its a good way to get into it). SoO = Siege of Orgrimmar (Last/Hardest raid of Mists of Pandaria). Xpac = Expansion. Q = queue (you have to get in line for LFR :) ).

Berordn

I find Pandaren very interesting,

You're a smart one.

25-0rsufg.jpg

educator

Lvling in WoW these days is so stupid easy that some people hit a brick wall when they reach lvl 90, because raids are asking for you to pay attention and know a good spell rotation for your class, which isn't the case while lvling. You could basically go from 1 to 90 by spamming 1 spell and by standing on fire and never interrupting any enemy spells if you want.

Thats comforting to hear, but pretty sad too. I know players have criticized Blizzard for making it too easy, but for a player like me who wants to jump on the bandwagon again it feels good to know that I have the possibility to "catch up".

Salamando said:
We have no clue when the next expansion is coming out. Best guesses are July-Sept.

You only want a Scroll of Res. if you're reactivating an old account. If you're buying a new one, PM someone to Recruit-a-friend you. You get a trial up to lvl 20. PM someone here to ask for one.

Leveling now is very easy. You don't have to go back to the trainer to learn new skills, talent points are learned every 15 levels and there are no real wrong choices, and they put out breadcrumb quests to direct you to the zone you should be leveling in. They also implemented a thing called "Looking for Dungeon". You specify a role, and it automatically finds you a group for a level-appropriate dungeon.

Alright, that would give me some time to get used to it again and hopefully get me up to level before the new expansion is out. Im thinking about buying in about a week or two. I'll ask for recruit-a-friend here sometime soon, a trial is always fun.

fuzzyset said:
It'll probably release in the fall, but apparently if you pre-order the digital edition, you'll get the free 90 right away.

They should open pre-orders soon as the patch going live tomorrow includes the infrastructure to create insta-90s.
Sorry for the acronyms: ToT = Throne of Thunder (2nd hardest raid currently), LFR = Looking for Raid (basically pick-up raids that are easier than normal raids. drops worse gear but its a good way to get into it). SoO = Siege of Orgrimmar (Last/Hardest raid of Mists of Pandaria). Xpac = Expansion. Q = queue (you have to get in line for LFR :) ).

Thanks for clearing that up! =)

Berordn said:
You're a smart one.

Haha! Pandaren monks with skills in martial arts looks really awesome. You could probably guess what animated movie of 2008 was my favorite...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I would suggest to wait for the pre-expansion patch before starting again. There is no point in learning how WoW MoP works when they're going to change (yet again) how the game works in WoD.

Berordn

I would suggest to wait for the pre-expansion patch before starting again. There is no point in learning how WoW MoP works when they're going to change (yet again) how the game works in WoD.

That's very likely months from now though, and if we can trust them this time the changes won't be *too* massive. I imagine most of what you pick up from playing MoP would translate into WoD well, and Pandaria's a great place to see.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember someone saying it was too late to do the legendary cloak quest like 4 months ago when I started. As if the expansion was coming out in April or something.

Nokterian

All right finally i have Zygor guides i bought Alliance and Horde leveling guide. Next month or later on i will buy it for mounts and pets. Pretty fantastic addon works very well i am just tired of doing alll the quests so this will make it easier to go from 1 to 90.

You know since I've bested Garrosh in Hearthstone. Can't they make that account-wide for my WoW account? :p

Don't know if we're extending or not but I dearly hope we get him this week. Not sure if I can take 9 hours of wipes if it is indeed an extend.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
All right finally i have Zygor guides i bought Alliance and Horde leveling guide. Next month or later on i will buy it for mounts and pets. Pretty fantastic addon works very well i am just tired of doing alll the quests so this will make it easier to go from 1 to 90.

You really shouldn't be buying that.

There are plenty of places to get things that are just as good for free.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Goblin engineering logic
A sky golem is made by engineers
Engineers use mining typically
What can sky golems do?
Pick flowers.

Hell, if they want to make it 'fair' just have it be a trick to the golem only engineers can use where it concerts one hand to a mining pick

I would say if he wants to "catch-up" his best bet is to start as soon as possible. You always want to be leveling in new content at the same time a majority of players are to get the most benefit. Yes, you'll have to fight for gathering nodes and quest mobs, but everything you get (in terms of BoE items and reagents) will sell for its highest right when the expansion comes out, and that gives you a nice heads up on everyone. Money may not buy happiness, but in the World of Warcraft it makes your life 100x easier.

On top of that, any group quests and dungeons will be a lot easier to get into when the content is fresh since people will be doing them to level and for the sake of seeing new content. Compare that to a few weeks after it launches and some people have already quit, or don't need the gear/achievements anymore, and it becomes a lot harder to get these things taken care of. I remember I lost my WoW account halfway through Cata and restarted before MoP came out. I over a few weeks (4-5) managed to get a new character to 85 and get all my professions squared away with some money in the bank, it made everything a lot easier than if I have waited.

Berordn

Mandokir's raptor eludes me still but I got Kilnara's ugly-ass panther today.

I'd take a picture but nobody wants to see that.

Mandokir's raptor eludes me still but I got Kilnara's ugly-ass panther today.

I'd take a picture but nobody wants to see that.

Such an underwhelming mount for being a rare drop. Got me so mad when I got it after having gotten the raptor first. The raptor looks neat but the panther is a turd.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm just hoping it doesn't explode my addons

So I guess I got picked to try out for Group 2 because I had an invite to a G2 run tomorrow. Which is cool, but I was also supposed to mooch a normal protectors off group 1, so I don't know if the group 1 and group 2 raid leader know that or what's up. I don't mind if group 2's doing normal, but it'd suck it says if we don't have enough, we'll do flex. And I don't want to miss out on a normal item to do flex. I'm wondering how I can not sound like a jerk and say 'hey can i skip out real quick to kill this hten come back?'

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The preorder allows the boost immediately? Not at release? Hm I may just boost my mage then and finish sham.

Robin64

I boosted a beastmaster hunter on the PTR. Had no idea what teh fuck I was doing. Just seemed like a hundred buttons.. Shots, pet stuff, cooldowns, buffs, traps, evasive things, what the hell. Without coming across them naturally through the course of levelling progression, it was pretty hellish.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I boosted a beastmaster hunter on the PTR. Had no idea what teh fuck I was doing. Just seemed like a hundred buttons.. Shots, pet stuff, cooldowns, buffs, traps, evasive things, what the hell. Without coming across them naturally through the course of levelling progression, it was pretty hellish.

Read any pvp or pve rotation guide and you'd be fine after a few days practice.

Tamanon

Banned

As long as you know how to turn growl off, you're already ahead of a lot of hunters in LFR.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeah I am not looking forward to the level boosted 90s and them having no clue how to play the class. :\

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm really worried the 'learning the 90' shit won't be in until WoD to help boost their preorder numbers.

Like REALLY worried

i-dont-want-to-live-o9zudt.jpg

What ilvl do they start you at on the PTR? Is it high enough that you can queue up immediately or lower to force you to spend time with your character on Timeless aisle or something to familiarize yourself with your character?

They should just require you to meet small milestones such as running five scenarios and five dungeons before you can queue LFR or something like that. Not saying everyone would put in the proper effort to learn their new character in that time but it could help?

Tamanon

Banned
What ilvl do they start you at on the PTR? Is it high enough that you can queue up immediately or lower to force you to spend time with your character on Timeless aisle or something to familiarize yourself with your character?

They should just require you to meet small milestones such as running five scenarios and five dungeons before you can queue LFR or something like that. Not saying everyone would put in the proper effort to learn their new character in that time but it could help?

ilevel 483 to start.

StMeph

..pay..for free information...

wut

You really shouldn't be buying that.

There are plenty of places to get things that are just as good for free.

Yeah... it apparently costs $60 for both faction guides. Sixty. USD.

I don't think Timeless will be useful for learning a new class. Especially since anyone who's spent any amount of time on Timeless killing rares will have a full set of gear, excluding a weapon and second trinket, for any alts they want to roll.

I suspect that the "getting-to-know-your-90" tutorials will probably be solo Scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom