• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
The soulbound spirits is bullshit.

ANd the rep grind might be a joke now, but it wasn't at launch. How do you have your characters rep that high when they aren't even in pandaria? Tokens? Those weren't in the game at mists' launch.

Right, but the discussion is how alt-friendly Mists is. No need to be alt-friendly in that sense early in an expansion.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Right, but the discussion is how alt-friendly Mists is. No need to be alt-friendly in that sense early in an expansion.

Yes it does. The game should reward skill, not grind time. I shouldn't have to grind 3 reps to get gear to even be able to step into a raid. I obviously shouldn't be able to walk in there with fresh 90 greens and blues, but the progression of a character should not be limited by dailies.

It shouldn't be so obvious when they just try to extend player time to get more subscription dollars out of them.

When I play the first character, sure. Makes sense. But the fact that they made it so you couldn't fly on alts while leveling through Mists is a load of shit.

Bizazedo

The soulbound spirits is bullshit.

ANd the rep grind might be a joke now, but it wasn't at launch. How do you have your characters rep that high when they aren't even in pandaria? Tokens? Those weren't in the game at mists' launch.

The discussion is alt-friendly now, not at launch. They were (deservedly) roasted for the excessive rep grind. The rep grind is a joke now.

Yes, Warbringers / the Scouts drop rep tokens. Mail them to your alts + the double rep from commendations means boom, rep falls like rain.

Even Cloud Serpents is a joke since I believe those eggs that drop on Timeless Isle can be turned in for rep as well.

If that's not enough, Golden Lotus is the easiest of them all now due to the fact that those tokens that come out of Guo Lai chests are account bound and can be mailed to alts.

That's why alts are so insanely easy right now. They have what, two obstacles, Legendary (and it's a Legendary, despite being the most generous Legendary of all time), and soul bound Spirits of Harmonies. There's not even a gear issue since you can just farm Timeless Isle with your main and mail the pieces to your alts. That same Monk who's exalted with every rep except Celestials already has a full set of Timeless Isle gear waiting to be created (multiples of each piece in-case of bad rolls). He even has Valor Points already due to doing pet battle quests with guys like the dude at Darkmoon Faire.

Berordn

When I play the first character, sure. Makes sense. But the fact that they made it so you couldn't fly on alts while leveling through Mists is a load of shit.

I actually don't have any issue with this even if I agree on all the other points. Pandaria was designed for ground-level questing, and Draenor will be as well. Making it an endgame convenience is totally fine with me since flying in Cata kind of killed the zone design.

Robin64

New Artcraft. Female orc!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12845268/artcraft-daughter-of-draenor-2-19-2014

rP9vbSB.jpg

Those expressions! Wow.

Q6LAAM1T0OWC1391792056754.jpg

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I actually don't have any issue with this even if I agree on all the other points. Pandaria was designed for ground-level questing, and Draenor will be as well. Making it an endgame convenience is totally fine with me since flying in Cata kind of killed the zone design.

Getting the BOA book to train your alts flying in Northrend was the best idea they ever had. Having to go through MoP again on a PVP server is a nightmare.

Getting the BOA book to train your alts flying in Northrend was the best idea they ever had. Having to go through MoP again on a (relatively balanced) PVP server is a nightmare.

I assume that's what you mean :p No issues on a lopsided server like Mal'Ganis here.

Anyway in other news, I had something like 2 dreams last night that involved a Warforged Tail-Tip. Please be an omen of things to come tonight ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Enthus

I was hoping to see something from Night Elves or a male human, but this looks nice. I don't think you can really appreciate the new models without animation previews being shown, however. The dwarf, orc, and gnome males really shine in their previews.

mileS

Looks awesome! I bet a lot of people are extremely happy because from what I can tell, the female orc is pretty popular these days.

Berordn

Getting the BOA book to train your alts flying in Northrend was the best idea they ever had. Having to go through MoP again on a PVP server is a nightmare.

That's really got nothing to do with alts though. It's a legitimate complaint against the amount of gear inflation these last few tiers/seasons and the effect flying mounts has on lowbie ganking/griefing, but it's happening to anyone leveling late, not just alts.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I still haven't been able to get the game running in 640 × 480 fullscreen again, and it's been like that since the 17th of September last year (see this thread).

I asked on MMO-Champion and while there were some good suggestions, nothing has worked. I've updated drivers, I've used various configurations of Config.wtf, the Run in 640 × 480 screen resolution compatibility mode setting seems to do very little (it can start up the launcher in this resolution, but not the game itself). The console in the game tells that 640 × 480 is not a supported resolution, but at least one person on MMO-Champion was able to start and play the game in this resolution, so that's baloney.

Here's my current Config.wtf (some things edited out), which does not make the game run in my desired resolution:

SET hwDetect "0"
SET videoOptionsVersion "5"
SET gxApi "D3D11"
SET gxWindow "0"
SET gxMaximize "0"
SET gxResolution "640x480"
SET Gamma "1.000000"
SET readTOS "1"
SET readEULA "1"
SET Sound_MusicVolume "0.20000000298023"
SET Sound_AmbienceVolume "0.20000000298023"
SET gxTextureCacheSize "2"
SET ffx "0"
SET shadowlod "1"
SET showshadow "0"
SET showfootprints "0"
SET showfootprintparticles "0"
SET ffxDeath "0"
SET overridefarclip "0"
SET farclip "10"
SET horizonfarclip "1"
SET detailDoodadAlpha "0"
SET M2FasterDebug "1"
SET MaxLights "1"
SET nearclip "1"
SET ObjectFadeZFill "1"
SET pathSmoothing "0"
SET rippleDetail "1"
SET reflectionMode "0"
SET SSAOBlur "0"
SET textureFilteringMode "0"
SET terrainLodDist "1"
SET wmoLodDist "1"
SET terrainTextureLod "1"
SET worldBaseMip "1"
SET weatherDensity "0"
SET enterWorld "1"
SET readTerminationWithoutNotice "1"
SET accounttype "MP"
SET ChatMusicVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET ChatSoundVolume "0.39999997615814"
SET ChatAmbienceVolume "0.29999998211861"
SET VoiceActivationSensitivity "0.39999997615814"
SET Sound_OutputQuality "0"
SET Sound_EnableMusic "0"
SET Sound_MasterVolume "0.36400002241135"
SET Sound_DSPBufferSize "1"
SET Sound_SFXVolume "0.20000000298023"
SET Sound_EnableDSPEffects "0"
SET environmentDetail "1"
SET terrainMipLevel "1"
SET groundEffectDensity "1"
SET groundEffectDist "10"
SET extshadowquality "0"
SET smallcull "1"
SET SplineOpt "1"
SET useWeatherShaders "0"
SET UseAnimKits "1"
SET emphasizeMySpellEffects "1"
SET screenshotFormat "tga"
SET screenshotQuality "10"
SET readScanning "-1"
SET readContest "-1"
SET statusTextPercentage "1"
SET maxFPS "0"
SET maxFPSBk "0"
SET Sound_OutputDriverName "System Default"
SET mouseSpeed "1.5"
SET maxAnimThreads "0"
SET launchThirtyTwoBitClient "0"
SET lastReadTOS "50402"
SET lastReadEULA "50402"
SET lastReadTerminationWithoutNotice "50402"
What to do?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I'd greatly appreciate a solution because if I can't play World of Warcraft in 640 × 480 my gameplay experience will not be as good as it was. Thanks.
You have to explain this. Because I can't imagine anything other than messing around on an Nvidia shield or something.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
You have to explain this. Because I can't imagine anything other than messing around on an Nvidia shield or something.
I used to be able to play in 640 × 480 before September last year. Then my FPS was around 60-140 (everywhere). When I play in 800 × 600 my FPS is something around 30-40 in open world, in instances (especially raids) it's something between 1-25. It's not enough. I also happen to like playing in low resolutions, in WoW I think it makes things a bit easier to see (and with all the other settings down to very low there's not as much crud on the screen). My computer is not good, the GPU and the motherboard (H-Aira-RS780L-uATX (Aira-GL8)) are especially poor.

aira700b_zps6a68e2fa94ujp.jpg

This thing sucks Thrall's balls!

Dawg

By the gods, you need a new PC Rösti :p

30-40 fps on 800x600 is a whole new level of outdated hardware. That reminds me from when I used to play WoW in 2005 with a 64MB GPU and 256mb RAM.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Rösti;101504489 said:
I used to be able to play in 640 × 480 before September last year. Then my FPS was around 60-140 (everywhere). When I play in 800 × 600 my FPS is something around 30-40 in open world, in instances (especially raids) it's something between 1-25. It's not enough. I also happen to like playing in low resolutions, in WoW I think it makes things a bit easier to see (and with all the other settings down to very low there's not as much crud on the screen). My computer is not good, the GPU and the motherboard (H-Aira-RS780L-uATX (Aira-GL8)) are especially poor.

http://abload.de/img/aira700b_zps6a68e2fa94ujp.jpg[IMG]

This thing sucks Thrall's balls![/QUOTE]

This is like...some weird stockholm syndrome you've developed. Enjoying low resolution is counter-productive.

They've probably updated these to above your system specs, they can update these any time. They probably removed that option in prep for WoD. They don't want people playing their game on crappy settings anymore.

Nvidia just released the 150$ 750ti. Build yourself a computer around that for around 4-500$ and you'll be golden.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You could probably get a computer for less than 200$ that would be better than this old ass computer you have Rosti.

Dawg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
See, I guess I'm a huge sucker for aesthetics, but I have zero interest in paying for a 90 with these new race models because I want to see them grow and get used to them. A big part of my problem with alts is seeing that same run animation, that same exact swing animation, that same jerky movement, etc

JCizzle

YES! I never play betas because I don't like to ruin the content (I play it enough live, no sense getting burned out before that...), but it means we're getting much closer to release!

Peachpies

If you go to your wow folder and change the compatibility setting for wow.exe to run in 640x480 mode and then launch battle.net app and under game settings for wow check the launch 32 bit client it should run in 640x480. I was also able to run wow at 640x480 by setting desktop resolution to 640x480 and then running wow in fullscreen windowed mode which does the same thing as the first method but all the time instead of just when running wow.exe.

Tamanon

Banned
Well.....I guess I better get going on the Legendary on one of my 90s. I'm at the Test of Valor stage on 4 different ones, and the PvP stage on my Warlock I don't play.

Ultratech

Yeah, I've had to start playing on my superior "work" laptop.
The screen is smaller (14"), but because of its ridiculous specs, WoW runs smooth as hell, with only massive 40+ groups slowing it down just slightly.
Basically, a constant 60+ FPS in most environments.

Compared to my current laptop (19" w/Soundbar) which displays the game in a much higher resolution, but with far less FPS, and tends to lag a bit in raid environments or big groups in general.
Basically, somewhere between 15-30 FPS in most environments; if there isn't much going on, then it picks up a bit.
(The more crap on the screen, the worse it gets.)

Since my current laptop is pretty much on its last legs and I won't have my other laptop forever, I've been looking into building a desktop, but I've been putting it off for a long time now.
So I gotta get serious about that pretty soon.

Slayerx

Press event seems to be happening in the next few days, simultaneously in 3 regions lol. Probably means that info NDA drops on Monday and beta Wednesday like MoP.

Edit: oh already posted in gaming :(

Fjordson

Sixth day of camping for the Time-Lost Proto Drake. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, I must have a problem.

Going to start dual-boxing with my brother's account and killing rares around Northrend. Apparently all the rares are linked since Cataclysm, so if you kill a bunch in other zones it speeds up the spawn timer for Vyragosa / TLPD.

I've gotten three Vyragosa kills, and seen the corpse of the TLPD twice so far =[

Anther week, another Thok betrayalton.

Well, he did drop a trinket, but I didn't win it. No Vanq helm though which I had a good chance at getting.

We'll see if I get something on Flex I suppose.

The drop rate on the big love rocket is ridiculous.

One of my friends has 10 90's and runs it every day since the start. Nothing. This is on top of the previous years. I call bullshit that the heavenly onyx serpent is the rarest mount. At least I've seen a few of those around. I've maybe seen one love rocket and that was three years ago.

Looking forward to whatever happens tomorrow though. Something is better than the "kinda" nothing we've been hearing about besides PvP.

Sixth day of camping for the Time-Lost Proto Drake. I'm not sure why I'm doing this, I must have a problem.

Going to start dual-boxing with my brother's account and killing rares around Northrend. Apparently all the rares are linked since Cataclysm, so if you kill a bunch in other zones it speeds up the spawn timer for Vyragosa / TLPD.

I've gotten three Vyragosa kills, and seen the corpse of the TLPD twice so far =[

When I did my camping I originally thought they were linked because that was the original behavior but I had a bunch of people tell me that wasn't the case any longer and looking it up it was confirmed that TLPD/Vyra are no longer linked to the other rares (and I don't believe any rares are linked, not just them). I believe it was around when CRZ was implemented that they the linked rares for all of Northrend because it was causing odd spawn issues. I'd strongly urge you to just pick a favorite camping spot and hang tight. Brunnhilder was my spot and it spawned once or twice and I missed it because I was out of my room or out grabbing food. I finally got mine at the Ulduar gorge spawn when I came back in and saw the npcscan had popped. I flew around for a couple minutes and found it all the way out in the NW of the zone thankfully still flying free.

Fjordson

tumblr_n19ys4EbQH1t6n7n9o4_1280.png

It is finally mine after all these years!
Grats man! I just finished my weekly run. Still no luck =[ I'm coming up on 45 kills total.

When I did my camping I originally thought they were linked because that was the original behavior but I had a bunch of people tell me that wasn't the case any longer and looking it up it was confirmed that TLPD/Vyra are no longer linked to the other rares (and I don't believe any rares are linked, not just them). I believe it was around when CRZ was implemented that they the linked rares for all of Northrend because it was causing odd spawn issues. I'd strongly urge you to just pick a favorite camping spot and hang tight. Brunnhilder was my spot and it spawned once or twice and I missed it because I was out of my room or out grabbing food. I finally got mine at the Ulduar gorge spawn when I came back in and saw the npcscan had popped. I flew around for a couple minutes and found it all the way out in the NW of the zone thankfully still flying free.
Oh shit, they aren't linked anymore? Damn. Supposedly that sped up the spawn timer, so that's sort of a bummer.

Yeah I've been thinking about whether or not I should patrol around, but basically staying disciplined on a single spot is the better course to take? And maybe party up with my brother's account at a different spawn so I can watch two spots? I mean I mostly work from home and have two laptops plus my wife's Mac, so I could get some hardcore camping going here :lol

Getting close on Garrosh now (12-13%), hopefully we get him tomorrow!

Mainly I think we just need to switch to having a kiter for P3 adds (might be me) and save lust for then (for some reason we've been using it at the start, but DPS is good enough now that it's not up a second time anymore). I know you're supposed to save lust for P3, but I don't want to step on anybody's toes too much as a trial still.

Unless you can just ignore the adds in P3, which might be possible as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom