• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: The War Within Early Access now live

Comandr

I bought the collectors edition of this game in 2004. The one with the baby panda, mini diablo, and zergling pets. It came in a HUGE box. I used to run around in the barrens with my friends. Running dungeons or just hunting for that super rare drop from monsters. I remember scrounging up enough gold for a mount was like, a real big deal. I stopped playing sometime after WotLK. Maybe it's me, but the story is so melodramatic now. It's been 20 years. I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I assume Dalaran actually still exists in the game world if you're phased to WotLK content or whatever?

Not that it really matters these days but you can't take cheevos away from the collector masses, someone's gotta be trying to fish coins from the fountain right now

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is it f2p yet? No? Then it can fuck off. WoW is just a massive bloatware these days.

It's never going f2p when the sub pays for 4 versions of the game now, and they make like $300m+ from each expansion launch alone. Part of me wondered if they'd roll subs into the new Game Pass higher tier but it's not looking that way.

Luipadre

Im going back when they remove the monthly payment and starts supporting controllers, so never :)

I played the game when it came out until the 3rd expansion, then stopped playing. I still have so many great memories and some IRL friends i found during that period. It remains my favorite gaming period, but i just cant get back to it now

Last edited:

AV

Im going back when they remove the monthly payment and starts supporting controllers, so never :)

Controllers have been supported for a while now, although you're never gonna be able to do the proper end game content with one, better for just chilling and levelling.

AV

Through mods but not officially no?

Officially, type "/console gamepadEnable 1" into chat. No idea what it's like personally as the idea just seems alien to me, but I guess lying in bed farming on a Steam Deck is pretty neat.

It's never going f2p when the sub pays for 4 versions of the game now, and they make like $300m+ from each expansion launch alone. Part of me wondered if they'd roll subs into the new Game Pass higher tier but it's not looking that way.

I know I know. Server costs and all that stuff even tho a lot of realms are pretty much dead across all versions and the popular ones are onesided af, either full alliance or full horde and they dont seem to give a shit. The only reason I returned last year was for classic and to experience the good old days but world pvp is practically dead which I enjoyed the most 15+ years ago. I dont like retail version at all. MoP was the last one I enjoyed.

Catacylsm killed the game for me, haven't been able to get into any expansion since, and I kinda stopped trying after Legion. Thankfully there's this fairly active private WotLK server that's been around for 15+ years, so whenever I get the urge to play, that's where I go.

AV

I know I know. Server costs and all that stuff even tho a lot of realms are pretty much dead across all versions and the popular ones are onesided af, either full alliance or full horde and they dont seem to give a shit. The only reason I returned last year was for classic and to experience the good old days but world pvp is practically dead which I enjoyed the most 15+ years ago.

Yeah, wPVP has been dead as a dodo since TBC, but even in Classic I think people quickly realised that it's almost always bullshit anyway. Those magic moments where you get a great 1v1 are drowned out by 2v1s, ganks at low health, ganks by 60s, server imbalances etc.

The best private server ever made will be launching (hopefully) within the next 6 months and that's PVE, I think people have firmly grown out of it now for better or worse. The owner knows that most PVP servers end up massively imbalanced because of the domino effect.

Yeah, wPVP has been dead as a dodo since TBC, but even in Classic I think people quickly realised that it's almost always bullshit anyway. Those magic moments where you get a great 1v1 are drowned out by 2v1s, ganks at low health, ganks by 60s, server imbalances etc.

The best private server ever made will be launching (hopefully) within the next 6 months and that's PVE, I think people have firmly grown out of it now for better or worse. The owner knows that most PVP servers end up massively imbalanced because of the domino effect.

THe one that theyre remaking in UE5? A bit off, but how bug free/popular are private stuff these days?

AV

THe one that theyre remaking in UE5? A bit off, but how bug free/popular are private stuff these days?

Nah that's Turtle's upgrade, and while very cool it'll be sort of a miracle if they can pull it off.

Project Epoch is vanilla plus using TBC talents/spells as a baseline in the smooth WotLK client. Tons of custom content and changes, way too many to rattle off here but it's been years in development and the owner is making all the right decisions, I say that as a goblin who's been playing privates for over a decade much like him. Played 3 betas and it's brilliant but they've still got a few thousand bugs to squash.

Privates are generally very bug free these days given how long they've been in development but the scene is a little dead until Epoch drops. Warmane WotLK still gets thousands of players although it's always been P2W and the community is dogshit, but it's there if you ever wanna play Wrath I guess.

That was fast, there mustn't be much content in this one for you have seen it all and formed an opinion already.

What didn't you like about the endgame?

Couldn't give a single shit about the endgame. I watched the video of them teleporting into the mage city and blowing up dalaran because metzen is a hack that's ran out of ideas. He already did that with theramore and back in Warcraft III.

Diddy X

What if they ever put the wow sub into game pass - does that change your assessment

Maybe they could try that sometime , the price for the sub is about the same as GP sub but mtx could make up for it and also they would have more wow players which would revitalize the game if needed and more GP subs.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I played through the intro quests, up until arriving at the new area, but then Wukong pulled me back in. It's shocking to see Dalaran treated so! Good stuff, think I'll enjoy the new content.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Liking the new expansion so far. I popped a level 70 boost I had on a zandi troll shaman. Went in enchantment so you’re like an explosive monk. Really fun so far.

Also a comment above talks about WoW looking dated…. Bro if you have the graphics card and cpu for it, max everything out including ray Tracing, and WoW looks gorgeous. Far better than Ffxiv which even after its update looks like a ps3 game still. The only bad thing to look at is Anduins model in game. In cut scenes and cinematic he looks great but in game he looks like a bigger bitch than ever.

AV

Liking the new expansion so far. I popped a level 70 boost I had on a zandi troll shaman. Went in enchantment so you’re like an explosive monk. Really fun so far.

Also a comment above talks about WoW looking dated…. Bro if you have the graphics card and cpu for it, max everything out including ray Tracing, and WoW looks gorgeous. Far better than Ffxiv which even after its update looks like a ps3 game still. The only bad thing to look at is Anduins model in game. In cut scenes and cinematic he looks great but in game he looks like a bigger bitch than ever.

Then there's me who bought a new PC in time to play TBC Classic for maximum good old graphics

ManaByte

Gold Member

Holy shit, just got to Hallowfall.

QEhhwNf.jpeg

Sethbacca

Man, I can't believe this game has been on for 20 years now and that there are people that have paid for it the entire time.

Mortisfacio

EA is over now so The Poors Within have brought login servers down.

Enjoyable expansion so far. Personally the leveling experience is some of the most enjoyable I've played through. Arguably a better intro than WoD and a better story than Legion. Everything flows so well and the zones are top notch (by WoW standards). My biggest gripe with Legion was the zones didn't "flow". They just felt like various zones that just happened to be next to each other. Each with their own independent ecosystems.

ManaByte

Gold Member
EA is over now so The Poors Within have brought login servers down.

Enjoyable expansion so far. Personally the leveling experience is some of the most enjoyable I've played through. Arguably a better intro than WoD and a better story than Legion. Everything flows so well and the zones are top notch (by WoW standards). My biggest gripe with Legion was the zones didn't "flow". They just felt like various zones that just happened to be next to each other. Each with their own independent ecosystems.

It's basically the leveling experience from Dragonflight, and yes it's great.

Mortisfacio

It's basically the leveling experience from Dragonflight, and yes it's great.

Mechanically it is, but I've never personally cared much for the Dragon aspects as far as story goes. I do however like the Old Gods, Light vs Void, Dwarves and Nerubian's so I'm much more interested in this expansions story.

Cyberpunkd

I still remember circa 2009 when WotlK came out and we rushed to Northrend. I remember Azjol-Nerub, snow plains, Storm Peaks, etc. Didn't play for a few years now, but WoW will always be part of my life.

Mortisfacio

I got my Druid, DK and Warlock to 80 before the hotfix/nerf to scaling at least. Feel bad for the non-EA to an extent, but that EA period was definitely pretty smooth.

Top Bottom