• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF: "Second Sight" is a complete Psi-Ops rip-off

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think it is, though...

I remember hearing about both games around the same time. I don't believe they were copying each other as they were both in development during the same time frame.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The fact that you happen to know about Second Sight after having played Psi-Ops doesn't mean the former is a rip-off of the latter. Second Sight has been in development (by Free Radical Design) for a long time. I actually heard of it prior to Psi-Ops.

Anyway, the more psi / physics based games the better :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Second Sight looks much more badass if you ask me. Saw some movies of it on G4TV awhile back, and I was very impressed.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
...And both games are a rip-off of The Galerians, which itself is a rip-off of countless anime/manga stories HAW HAW HAW!!!11111111111

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
One cool thing about Second Sight is the camera system. You can choose between a free roaming mode where u can rotate the camera around as you desire, and a MGS/Devil May Cry mode, where the camera is fixed. You don't choose it in the option screen. You can switch between both during actual play. DMC3 also offers this kind of choice. I really hope it becames a standard.

Matlock

Banned
Neither is really all that much a ripoff of the other. Even though they share a similar gimmick, the gameplay differs greatly. Second Sight is more of a stealth title than Psi-Ops, and goes far less heavy on the action.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mason said:
But what's the difference? A guy wakes up with mysterious powers and you must figure out why!

You also play in flashbacks. Think about the beginning of the game as the middle point of the story line. You then proceed towards the end in the actual time, and from the beginning to the middle point in the flashbacks. Quite interesting isn't it?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Matlock said:
Neither is really all that much a ripoff of the other. Even though they share a similar gimmick, the gameplay differs greatly. Second Sight is more of a stealth title than Psi-Ops, and goes far less heavy on the action.

The movies on gamespot showed some pretty frantic action...

It does look pretty similar though, i think Free Radical just got served.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
919912_20040513_screen006.jpg

914551_20040228_screen002.jpg

The 'hook' for both games is very similar, slightly different line up of powers though.

MaddenNFL64

Yeah, people are gonna call Second Sight a Psi-Ops rip-off, even though it's been in development longer... *sigh*

Hopefully Second Sight has a better story than Psi-Ops... well, how hard could that be :p.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If my memory serves me right, Psi-Ops started off as a different game that didn't even involve psychic powers. I remember seeing it listed in 2003 as something else, can't remember what it was called back then. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

xsarien

daedsiluap
MaddenNFL64 said:
Yeah, people are gonna call Second Sight a Psi-Ops rip-off, even though it's been in development longer... *sigh*

Pretty much, yeah. That, and let's think about this for a second. "Rip-off" implies that Midway also made a better game than Free Radical. Now, let's all put our heads together for a second and REALLY consider how silly a proposition that is...

MaddenNFL64

Grizzlyjin said:
If my memory serves me right, Psi-Ops started off as a different game that didn't even involve psychic powers. I remember seeing it listed in 2003 as something else, can't remember what it was called back then. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It was still based on Psychic powers, but the name was just idiotic. I can't quite remember it though as well.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
xsarien said:
Pretty much, yeah. That, and let's think about this for a second. "Rip-off" implies that Midway also made a better game than Free Radical. Now, let's all put our heads together for a second and REALLY consider how silly a proposition that is...

You're right, its stupid! We should all assume that the game that hasnt been released is LOADS better than the game we can play right now...

Wheres that rolleyes smilie...

To answer the question, yeah Psi-Ops did have a much stupider name, ESPionage,

Matlock

Banned
YEAH GUYS IT'S NOT LIKE A COMPANY CAN BE COMPLETELY DEVOID OF A GOOD TITLE (Midway) OR DEVOID OF A BAD TITLE (Free Radical).

Gattsu25

Banned
i doubt if they did...seriously...not every comment has a hidden agenda :\

my nose is itchy wich means i MUST HATE NINTENDO

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Gattsu25 said:
i doubt if they did...seriously...not every comment has a hidden agenda :\

my nose is itchy wich means i MUST HATE NINTENDO

I don't think agendas are so hidden, just tiresome. I think a lot of people who didn't play the well-reviewed psi-ops tend to hate on it, actually.

Top Bottom