• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Day of Reckoning Interview and pics

DMczaf

http://cube.ign.com/articles/529/529080p1.html

IGN: What play style does the game employ? How does the grappling system work?

Kendall Boyd: This is a simulation wrestling experience. Smackdown vs. Raw is the quicker paced game, while we are trying to capture the feel of the N64 days. I've heard so many people pick this up and say, "This is like a modern day No Mercy or WrestleMania 2000."

We've added a lot of new strategy elements to this year's game that are exclusive to GameCube. The first would be the "Momentum Shift." This is basically when you have been beaten to the point of being knocked out or pinned. You will have a small window in which you can execute a shift of momentum against your opponent. When you see the "Danger" icon flash on screen, you must quickly hit your "A" and "B" buttons simultaneously. If you can pull it off, you will steal all of your opponent's momentum and spirit as well as any specials he has acquired. Now, people may think this is unfair to the guy who has worked up his spirit meter, but it actually teaches the player to use more strategy. The "Danger" meter only comes up on screen if you continually pummel your opponent. The trick is to catch your opponent when his spirit meter is in the blue, but not quite at the danger level. Another little mini-game we've included is the "Momentum Lift." This allows smaller wrestlers to pick up the big boys like Big Show via a slider meter that is similar to the Bra and Panties meter.

IGN: What licensed music is in the game?

Kendall Boyd: We are licensing music for the first time in this year's GameCube product, but I can't go into the specific details as of yet. We are still finalizing contracts. But, we have some big names that everyone will recognize as well as some cool old school songs. The genre of music will range from hip hop, metal and alternative.

IGN: How deep is the create-a-wrestler mode? Can you give us a few examples?

Kendall Boyd: Yuke's is truly amazing when it comes to their create-a-wrestler feature. This is a feature that I think the whole industry has followed our lead on. We've been doing create a Superstars since the PSOne and N64 days and each year we add even more detail. You can control everything from appearance, entrance music, movies and taunts to the style of grappler you want your Superstar to be. You will also build your Superstar from the ground up throughout the season mode.

wwe-day-of-reckoning-20040708004755640.jpg
wwe-day-of-reckoning-20040708004756609.jpg
wwe-day-of-reckoning-20040708004753859.jpg
wwe-day-of-reckoning-20040604040635657.jpg
wwe-day-of-reckoning-20040708004752140.jpg

LakeEarth

The change in momentum thing seems a bit fishy... but otherwise, nice. If the reversal system is well thought out, it might be excellent.

lordmrw

Not that I care about wrestling games or anything, but I think this looks amazing. Would be nice if they reduced the amount of reflections though.

DCX

DCX
Actually that Edge shot was from a recent update :) Those shots early on in this thread aren't what the final product will look like...i have a funny feeling.

DCX

LakeEarth

Come on. How many times have we seen an awsome looking game have a bad looking screen? Do anyone remember the first Timesplitters Images? The infamous Matrix box wheels, or that one MGS2 shot which looked like a bland jaggy mess? It's just a bad shot.

DCX

DCX
LakeEarth said:
Come on. How many times have we seen an awsome looking game have a bad looking screen? Do anyone remember the first Timesplitters Images? The infamous Matrix box wheels, or that one MGS2 shot which looked like a bland jaggy mess? It's just a bad shot.
Employee i take it? I'm not trying to offend you dude, or the game for that matter, but funny is funny! LOL

DCX

Mr Gump

Banned
They call it a modern day no mercy, but from watching the vidoes the games flow is totally different, and somewhat unnatural.

DCX

DCX
Mr Gump said:
They call it a modern day no mercy, but from watching the vidoes the games flow is totally different, and somewhat unnatural.
Take a look at that Edge pic, something not right is an understatement. I don't know i like the Smackdown feel. I just didn't get into the No Mercy/Wrestlemania style, but i did like Giant Gram's feel...

DCX

Neo_ZX

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a piece of shit? (without having looked at Edge)

They can't come up with their own innovations so they hope it will live up to a game that's like what, 6-7 years old? And sadly it won't even live up to it.

Smackdown would be great if they fixed the reversal system and slowed it the fuck down for a second. Add a power grapple and boom - greatness.

One last thing: Who the eff is this supposed to be?
wwe-day-of-reckoning-20040604040635657.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
LakeEarth said:

I don't know if the Matrix example is the best example to use in trying to say a final product looks better than some released screenshots.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Those are Christian's pants, I think. So I do believe that's Christian.

how hard is it to code a muscle/skeletal system?

HCTP has something like this where the shoulder/etc muscle contort when the arms move

(altho it isnt perfect by any means)

I mean it just look like cena arm polygons warp aroun his "solid" upper body

Top Bottom