• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Day of Reckoning

I really wasnt paying attention to this game untill I caught wind that bret hart is a legend in it (supposedly, im looking fora source here)

But I decided to take a look at the developer interview on gamespot
Its the first movie

and from what hes said and from whatI can see on the gameplay it seems like Smackdown minus the speed.

He even states in the video this is more of a methodical sim based gameplay while their other products namely smackdown vs raw are more faster paced. He also states that he was a fan of the n64 aki games such as wresltemania 2000 and no mercy, and that this game has the "Strong/Weak" grapple system (dictated by the pressure sensitve A button?).

Anywho I would normally let it pass but since SD Raw isnt till november and this hits 3 weeks we will see how it turns out. (even thought I think the modeling is kinda bad)

So far these are ALL CONFIRMED :

WRESTLERS

1. Triple H
2. Chris Benoit
3. John Cena
4. Randy Orton
5. Kurt Angle
6. Ric Flair
7. Hurricane
8. Kane
9. Christian
10.Batista
11.Booker T
12.Chris Jericho
13.Eddie Guerrero
14.Eric Bischoff
15.Rey Mysterio
16.Charlie Haas
17.Shelton Benjamin
18.Big Show
19.Undertaker
20.Rock
21.Hardcore Holly
22.Mark Jindrak
23.Rhyno
24.Danny Basham
25.Doug Basham
26.Val Venis
27.Edge
28.Garrison Cade
29.Rob Van Dam
30.D'Von Dudley
31.Lance Storm
37. Molly Holly
38. Victoria
39. Trish Stratus
40. Stacy Keibler
41.Said to have over 40 Wrestlers
L1.ANDRE THE GIANT
L2.Sgt. Slaughter
L3.Bret Hart
L4.Brutus Beefcake
L5.Roddy Piper
L6. Will have 5-20 Legends

for what its worth....

also check out the dev interview with nick wyloodka I notice they sell alot longer than in hctp (insteada the standard limb sell then quick forward roll the sell the damage then kinda try and get up a little and fall down)

Memles

Bret kind of sealed my purchase too...but not sure when I'll pick it up. It's that or Pikmin 2, and I'm not sure I'll be able to decide.

evil ways

Still looks like it has the same problems as Wrestlemania XIX, which was a disappointment.

It may have the AKI controls but this isn't even close to the AKI gameplay. It still lacks a decent collision detection and animations looks poor and jumpy, like they're missing several frames of animation, especially when wrestlers get hit and fall down.

Not only that I'm watching videos where the matches end on 3-4 minutes, with a single Special even when the opponent still doesn't have a single body part in his damage indicator showing any sign of damage. Plus the sound effects are terrible, I said it in another thread and I'll say it again, those lame woosh sounds annoy the hell out of me, it sounds like a plane flies by everytime a move is performed.

Penguin

I don't know, this game has been weird to me. I was eager for WM X8, I was eager for XIX for the most part I wasn't too disappointed with them.

This game, I'm not too eager to get, but till interested in it. Really helped that GameStop had free overnight shipping with a mini-poster yesterday so of course I pre-ordered it since not many game stores near my school.

Anyhow, I want to hear more about the season mode before I buy.

yeah bret sealed it for me too

I need to relive survivor series 97 and have the true ending

with HBK Kicking brets teeth down his throat :D

Ryck

I don't understand why they don't just use the No Mercy engine (that game wasn't made by aki)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Ryck said:
I don't understand why they don't just use the No Mercy engine (that game wasn't made by aki)

It most certainly was. Have you even played it? It's an obvious extension of Wrestlemania 2000.

Ryck

Minotauro said:
It most certainly was. Have you even played it? It's an obvious extension of Wrestlemania 2000.
I know it is I have it , But it was made by jakks Im looking at the box right now...they used the same engine (aki engine from revenge) which is why I don't understand them not using it now....

Matt

Ryck said:
I know it is I have it , But it was made by jakks Im looking at the box right now...they used the same engine (aki engine from revenge) which is why I don't understand them not using it now....
Aki made No Mercy.

Ryck

Matt said:
Because they were the developer.
When you start the game it makes no mention of aki it again says jakks.... I used to think it was aki as well... can anyone confirm or deny this with something a little more than "aki made no mercy"

Matt

Ryck said:
When you start the game it makes no mention of aki it again says jakks.... I used to think it was aki as well...
Jakks isn’t a gamer developer, they are a toy maker. They own the WWE licence for games, toys, etc., and so all wrestling game are from THQ\Jakks. At least, that’s how I understand it...

Matt

Ryck said:
When you start the game it makes no mention of aki it again says jakks.... I used to think it was aki as well... can anyone confirm or deny this with something a little more than "aki made no mercy"
This is the page from Aki’s website about No Mercy.

Ryck

That's what I thought but then when Djv came out the hype was that they had developed Revenge , I was like wtf they developed no mercy (which was much better) why not boast abotu that , one of the resident wrestling nuts around here corrected me on it thats when the original discussion came about......

Memles

http://cube.ign.com/articles/536/536621p1.html

Full Roster (Minus Legends)

SmackDown! Talent

* Kurt Angle
* The Undertaker
* John Cena
* Rey Mysterio
* Eddie Guerrero
* Big Show
* Charlie Haas
* Chavo Guerrero
* Hardcore Holly
* Rhyno
* Doug Basham
* Danny Basham
* Booker T
* RVD
* Mark Jindrak

Raw Talent

* The Rock
* Triple H
* Chris Jericho
* Kane
* Randy Orton
* Shawn Michaels
* Christian
* Val Venis
* Garrison Cade
* Batista
* Matt Hardy
* Ric Flair
* Chris Benoit
* Lance Storm
* Shelton Benjamin
* Edge

Divas

* Molly Holly
* Victoria
* Trish
* Stacy

Non-playable Talent

* Mike Chioda
* Paul Heyman
* Coach
* Eric Bischoff
* Vince McMahon

Missing: Dudleys, JBL, The Hurricane, Rene Dupree, Tajiri, La Resistance, etc.

Worst Roster in a Next Gen Video Game? I think so.

TheRob

Oh man, that's just terrible. That is completely and utterly disappointing that the roster be that bad. There is no excuse for this. I haven't been following the game, but I figured it would be good. But now--I just don't know. Ah well...

Memles

TheRob said:
Oh man, that's just terrible. That is completely and utterly disappointing that the roster be that bad. There is no excuse for this. I haven't been following the game, but I figured it would be good. But now--I just don't know. Ah well...

The improved story mode was really going to make me consider this...but this roster is weaker than X8's, for goodness sake.

I'm picking up Pikmin 2 over this now, for sure.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Wow.. in this day and age they should have most of the Velocity and Heat rosters..

but they are missing mid card and ME level players?

Smackdown champ is missing, Smackdown cruiserweight champ is missing, smackdowns tag team champs are missing (as well as the people they have been semi-feuding with).

Raw is missing the womens champ (or any of the women) as well as the tag team champs and the people they are feuding with.

and HBK's intro needs more gay pumped in, stat.

Edit: is there any word on WM21? screens? anything? WIth the new developer I think we can all be ensured that it will look very pretty, but likely suck ass.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
evil ways said:
Well that about wraps things up for this game, and the possibility of me spending any money on it.

Yep. Another crappy GC WWE game in the making.

Shinobi

ZombieSupaStar said:
yeah bret sealed it for me too

I need to relive survivor series 97 and have the true ending

with HBK Kicking brets teeth down his throat :D

Bastard.

Boy, this news is big though...obviously Bret and the WWE have patched things up really well, if he's being included as a legend now. Hope he's in the other games. But I need to see this first before I believe it.

Memles said:
http://cube.ign.com/articles/536/536621p1.html

Full Roster (Minus Legends)

SmackDown! Talent

* Kurt Angle
* The Undertaker
* John Cena
* Rey Mysterio
* Eddie Guerrero
* Big Show
* Charlie Haas
* Chavo Guerrero
* Hardcore Holly
* Rhyno
* Doug Basham
* Danny Basham
* Booker T
* RVD
* Mark Jindrak

Raw Talent

* The Rock
* Triple H
* Chris Jericho
* Kane
* Randy Orton
* Shawn Michaels
* Christian
* Val Venis
* Garrison Cade
* Batista
* Matt Hardy
* Ric Flair
* Chris Benoit
* Lance Storm
* Shelton Benjamin
* Edge

Divas

* Molly Holly
* Victoria
* Trish
* Stacy

Non-playable Talent

* Mike Chioda
* Paul Heyman
* Coach
* Eric Bischoff
* Vince McMahon

Missing: Dudleys, JBL, The Hurricane, Rene Dupree, Tajiri, La Resistance, etc.

Worst Roster in a Next Gen Video Game? I think so.

If Bret Hart is indeed in the game, it instantly becomes one of the best rosters ever!! Though er, that lineup does seem rather small.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
As much as I would love to see 20 or so 'legends' in the game, I would prefer that the active roster be present just as much if not more. I mean, if you want to leave Test out of it I dont think anyone will care, but to leave JBL out? Thats unforgivable, no matter what extra charachters they ad.

Shinobi

lol.gif
Even THQ knows he sucks...

Yeah I know Bret is being listed, but I still wanna see some pics first. I think Ultimate Warrior was all lined up to be in Smackdown, but got nixed at the last second.

Memles

The lineup is too small for a Third-Run Wrestling Game on the system, it's very simple to say. They should be doing better, not worse as time goes on. It took them three tries to get the Story Mode right, if it comes out half decent, and it seems like they still don't have the rest of it down.

I'll pick it up at $30.

Syckx

I haven't watched wrestling in a long time, but I still regularly play the games since they are amusing. With that said the inclusion of Bret Hart, a return to the Undertaker's old gimmick (albeit a bit different), and Shawn Michaels makes this one of the better wrestlers around. I don't know who half the people are on that roster that is posted but so long a Jericho, Angle and Kane are in it, I'm a happy man. Besides, I usually play with a created wrestler.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Memles said:
The lineup is too small for a Third-Run Wrestling Game on the system, it's very simple to say. They should be doing better, not worse as time goes on. It took them three tries to get the Story Mode right, if it comes out half decent, and it seems like they still don't have the rest of it down.

I'll pick it up at $30.
That's THQ for ya. The current Smackdown Vs. RAW roster the same size (36 currently known). They are claiming that there will be more characters then that in the final games (both PS2 and GCN game).

I don't know why THQ has the WWE license. They really do suck. The only reason I can fathom is that THQ and Jakks Pacific are just down the street from each other (Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon Rd.).

Does anyone know what the upcoming Xbox WWE game is?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
LakeEarth said:
No JBL? Has there ever been a game where the champion wasn't in it?
JBL will probably get his ass kicked at Summer Slam and never be heard of again. Such a pussy. By far, the worst champion in "WWE" history.

What the hell was that midget-Undertaker nonsense last week?

Penguin

Well, I know some of you are disappointed in the roster, but the game still looks pretty solid.

You should head over to www.gamingring.com they have extensive exclusive coverage on the game. It shows lots of entrances including Kane's, Taker's, Angle's, HBK's, Orton's and much more. Also videos of TLC and Cage match.

It shows tons of sweet stuff like a re-animated RKO as well as the ability for someone to fall out of the ring when the ladder is toppled over.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
ASl;kasgkljlakhHSGsgjh

wqrtpoituetuwjkln

gaaaah

Time to repurchase a Gamecube!

edit: and he's beating on HBK in that video, haha

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well, they're still tweaking. I'm hoping this stuff will get caught before ship.

And I have to say, Evolution's theme song is the best in wrestling right now. Absolutely perfect for the group - gives me chills. Lemmy!

G4life98

why do they always limit the rosters of these games...half the fun for is taking a jobber and whipping on big show or trips.

i hate thq.

Top Bottom