• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL Arcade

jedimike

There's a new interview with Greg Canessa (Jesiatha???). Not much new info, but I wonder when we'll actually see this thing. Anyone else excited about this?

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/852/Xbox-Live-Arcade-Greg-Canessa-Interview/p1

Think of Xbox Live Arcade as a service that sits on top of your Xbox Live service. From the Live Arcade launcher interface, users will be able to browse through a dynamic list of games, categorized by genre, along with screen shots, key features and descriptions of each game. The Xbox Live Arcade launcher is Live aware, so you'll be automatically logged in and the list of games and screenshots will be updated in real-time from the Live service. New games will be posted to the service on a regular basis, so the list of available titles will be ever-expanding. Our game portfolio will include classic stuff like retro arcade, old-school genres you can't find anymore (like side scrolling shoot-em-ups and 2D platformers), and games like poker and pool - games that even hard core gamers will think are cool, as well as broader appeal stuff that parents, girlfriends, wives, brothers, sisters, etc. will want to play.

right on!

jedimike

Littleberu said:
More like : "Flash games".

I know you're joking, but in the screenshots we have seen there hasn't been one flash game.

Some of the games from screenshots:

3D MahJong
Bejeweled
Fuzzee Fever (action/puzzle game)
Hexic
Zuma
Trivia (sold in packs)
Dig Dug (my favorite :))
Pole Positon
Tradewinds (looks like an adventure game)
Hamsterball!
Polar Bowler
Ricochet Lost World
Alien Sky
Crystal Maze
Feeding Frenzy

It also sounds like games will be available through a variety of methods... OXM, Exhibition disks, available in demo sections of regular Xbox games, or directly off of XBL of course.

----

Banned
I think they mean they're going to distribute Xbox Live Arcade that way. Which is stupid. I don't understand why it's not a standard Xbox Live download. I guess they don't want to make everyone wait an extended period of time before getting to play on XBL just to download something they may not plan to ever using. So instead it will come on a 1st or 3rd party game DVD and install itself that way. Which would of course be much faster and less noticeable to the user since there would be no download time. Still they're severely limiting the number of people who will ever have access to Live Arcade.

I don't see myself ever using it or paying $10 for those games.

Jesiatha

jedimike said:
There's a new interview with Greg Canessa (Jesiatha???).

Nope, I'm not Greg :)

As far as distribution methods, all games should have a downloadable demo. However, each place we put the launcher can potentially have different demos on the disk.

The reason we're going out on various DVDs instead of as an update is that we will not be part of the dashboard. Which means you need to put in the launcher disc every time you want to play. :(

And don't knock Flash games. All our Messenger games (except for Bankshot Billiards) are done in Flash, and there's some fun stuff in there.

----

Banned
Jesiatha said:
The reason we're going out on various DVDs instead of as an update is that we will not be part of the dashboard. Which means you need to put in the launcher disc every time you want to play. :(
And what is the reasoning behind that? They're bragging about how small XBL Arcade file size will be, so why does it need to be on it's own seperate DVD instead of on the HDD?

Stuff like Music Mixer and XBL Arcade should have been seamlessly integrated into the Dashboard. If MS is serious about broadening the appeal of the system to a wider audience I don't understand why they don't make these applications easily accessible to everyone. All of the revenue would come from software sales or music sales in the case of Mixer.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Jesiatha said:
Nope, I'm not Greg :)

As far as distribution methods, all games should have a downloadable demo. However, each place we put the launcher can potentially have different demos on the disk.

And don't knock Flash games. All our Messenger games (except for Bankshot Billiards) are done in Flash, and there's some fun stuff in there.

wtf. no sale.

IgeL

Jesiatha said:
That's a serious turn-off... One necessary step more to get started.

Despite that XBLA still sounds awesome.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The XBL Arcade concept is something I've been hoping to see happen since online console gaming started to take off, but I have to agree with others here that the execution leaves a lot to be desired in this case.

Jesiatha

I agree with you guys - it is a lousy design, but it's what we're stuck with. Hopefully the team in charge of the dashboard will change their mind.

Top Bottom