• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBMC 2.0.0 is OUT

Ecrofirt

XboxMediaCenter 2.0.0 - Released! said:
>> Team XBMC released the highly anticipated XboxMediaCenter(info) v2.0.0 point-release:
Team-XBMC and The XBMC Project is proud to announce the release of XboxMediaCenter 2.0.0. XBox Media Center (XBMC) is an award winning, free, open source media player for the Xbox™ game-console. The XboxMediaCenter 2.0.0 point-release source code has now been set in our CVS. We consider that the current code in the XBMC CVS is as stable as a point-release should be. All XBMC users are highly encouraged to upgrade to this stable Xbox Media Center 2.0.0 point-release. Remember, the XBMC source code needs to be compiled with the XDK, and requires a modded Xbox to run. Our thanks goes out to everyone who has tested, reported bugs, and helped fix them in order to make this release possible.

There are many new features and functions that have been introduced since the 1.1.0 point-release, that we cannot list them all here. A few that are especially worth mentioning are; the enhanced GUI/skin-engine, the Project Mayhem III skin, DVD-Video menu/navigation support (with ISO/IMG image parsing), RAR/ZIP archive parsing, a new audio/music-player (PAPlayer) with crossfade, gapless playback and ReplayGain support, Karaoke CDG-file display, Xored Trainer Engine (gaming-cheats), XLink Kai(info) (online-gaming) front-end, iTunes 6.x DAAP and UPnP-clients, and two surprise features; read-only support for FAT12/16/32 formatted USB Mass Storage Devices up to 4GB in size, and a brand new "skinnable" 3D visualizer.

For a full list of all features/functions and codecs/formats supported by XBMC please visit the "XBMC Features and Supported Formats/Codecs" page in our new online manual.

Help is wanted to get our online-manual (WIKI), and all the language translations up-to-date.

XBMC official web-site: www.xboxmediacenter.com (manual and FAQ)
Full changelog since the v1.1.0 pointrelease: here
Download Binaries: n/a (built with XDK) - T3CH release should be available soon.
Download SourceCode: here
Discuss this news item on our forums: forums.xbox-scene.com
(Friday 29 September 2006 17:47 EST) - (direct link to article)
(Posted by:: XanTium)
Joy!

mollipen

I'm not looking for somebody to do a lot of work in this answer, so it can just be a quick response. That said... is there a way to put this on my Xbox without slapping some sort of chip in there?

I originally wasn't going to screw with my Xbox, because I thought I'd still keep it online for those games that I can't get online with on the 360. Now that I've got my 360, though, I couldn't give a crap about the few games I have that can't run under BC, so I might as well do something with the old Xbox. If I can avoid having to get a chip installed, though, I'd rather do that.

shidoshi said:
I'm not looking for somebody to do a lot of work in this answer, so it can just be a quick response. That said... is there a way to put this on my Xbox without slapping some sort of chip in there?

I originally wasn't going to screw with my Xbox, because I thought I'd still keep it online for those games that I can't get online with on the 360. Now that I've got my 360, though, I couldn't give a crap about the few games I have that can't run under BC, so I might as well do something with the old Xbox. If I can avoid having to get a chip installed, though, I'd rather do that.

Yes, you can soft-mod your system.

border

Is there anything here that someone that's not a power-user would be interested in?

My major beef with XBMC so far is that SD resolution H264 video really brings the system to its knees. I dunno if that 's the sort of thing that can be fixed by the XBMC team, or if the hardware itself is just being pushed too far.

EGM92

border said:
Is there anything here that someone that's not a power-user would be interested in?

My major beef with XBMC so far is that SD resolution H264 video really brings the system to its knees. I dunno if that 's the sort of thing that can be fixed by the XBMC team, or if the hardware itself is just being pushed too far.

I believe the lack of ram in the console is the cause of the serious H264 slow downs. I've seen people who have the mame modded versions (with extra ram chips soldered inside) run H264 encoded videos with no lag issues so it's probably just the hardware limitations.

Ecrofirt

Goddamn, I love this YouTube script.

The videos (so far) look nice on my TV, which they never do on my monitor (due to their resolution), AND they're loading lightning fast.

im kinda disappointed with 2.0, i was expecting a new feature for 2.0 an internet explorer like linksbok, shitty.
it's the best dash of all xbox dash tho, with mc360 skin, and tons of features.

Gaspode

read-only support for FAT12/16/32 formatted USB Mass Storage Devices up to 4GB in size

Waaaait a minute. Does this mean I can stick a USB pen drive to a controller port (using an aproppiate cable) and XBMC can play a movie from there? Please tell me it means that!

callous

Gaspode said:
Waaaait a minute. Does this mean I can stick a USB pen drive to a controller port (using an aproppiate cable) and XBMC can play a movie from there? Please tell me it means that!
That's what I took it as meaning. How awesome if true!

Manp

Naked Snake said:
Before you guys get too excited about the USB mass storage support, remember it's slow-ass USB 1.1

it's still 12 Mbps... seems enought to stream SD DivX movies, isn't it?

:)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Anyone use their PSP to control XBMC? I do and I love it but it crashes (on the PSP) a lot. Way too much. I'm using the XBMC Remote Interface v.07 mod.

Also, which build has been the best for you guys as of late? I'd rather hop on a stable CVS release that just get the most recent just cuz.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
DaCocoBrova said:
Anyone use their PSP to control XBMC? I do and I love it but it crashes (on the PSP) a lot. Way too much. I'm using the XBMC Remote Interface v.07 mod.

Also, which build has been the best for you guys as of late? I'd rather hop on a stable CVS release that just get the most recent just cuz.

I've been using "XBMC-2.0.1-FINAL-FAT-T3CH". Have had a few lockups but it's usually nice and stable.

Orlics

Despite being one of the latest "official" builds, this is really outdated, the SVN builds are far ahead of this.

badcrumble said:
port/compile to PS3 Linux please

One of the developers said on the forum that they don't want to since it's really, really difficult without the RSX. If you have normal PC Linux though, you're in luck since XBMC will soon be ported to that.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^

Can yo share the exact build name? Do I still have to hit up XBINS? I haven't installed mIRC in years.

DaCocoBrova said:

It crashed often on a PC for me too.

Barnolde

Banned
Goldrusher said:
PS3 version plz. :) :(

They said they're working on a Linux version, so maybe :eek:

I use the Xbins 2007-07-30 version (XBMC-SVN_2007-07-30_rev9731-T3CH), most stable and functional for me. Moreso than the 08-12 one.

Orlics

DaCocoBrova said:
^

Can yo share the exact build name? Do I still have to hit up XBINS? I haven't installed mIRC in years.

Get the latest build here.

(Is this allowed?)

Barnolde said:
They said they're working on a Linux version, so maybe :eek:

I want a PS3 version as much as you do, but they don't seem to think it will be possible anytime soon because of the lack of the RSX, as I mentioned above. XBMC is basically mplayer for Xbox - and mplayer doesn't look like it will be optimized for Cell for the foreseeable future.

DJ Sl4m

EGM92 said:
I believe the lack of ram in the console is the cause of the serious H264 slow downs. I've seen people who have the mame modded versions (with extra ram chips soldered inside) run H264 encoded videos with no lag issues so it's probably just the hardware limitations.

Yep, it's true. I have a modded Xbox with extra ram.

All SD videos run with no hiccups plus it loads most large file roms in MAME, CPS1 & 2, FBX etc etc that the regular modded Xbox can't fully load.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Tmac said:
Anyone having problems to make imdb lookup work?

You need a newer version of XBMC. The IMDB website has changed since last official release in Nov 2006. The newest T3CH weekly release has loads of cool shit in it.

Loads of pics from my setup:
5x7wpcy.jpg

53enu3b.jpg

5zoob3l.jpg

4uwrw3q.jpg

4zn7o83.jpg

4lh76n8.jpg

Top Bottom