• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBN confounds me...

B E N K E

This year's NHL game from EA is vastly improved. I don't even think ESPN get's distribution in Europe this year. Take Two sucks.

I mean, if you like NHL 2005 better you're definitely entitled to that opinion. But a 7/10 is harsh for a game so many consider to be a superior hockey game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
enjoy bell woods said:
I mean, if you like NHL 2005 better you're definitely entitled to that opinion. But a 7/10 is harsh for a game so many consider to be a superior hockey game.

considered? it IS the superior hockey game. ESPN NHL is a hockey game, EA NHL is a game that resembles hockey but isn't close to the actual game.

DopeyFish said:
considered? it IS the superior hockey game. ESPN NHL is a hockey game, EA NHL is a game that resembles hockey but isn't close to the actual game.

The sh*t is getting a liitle too thick around here. EA's game isn't even out until the 21st and without minute 1 with the game, so many of you can clearly crown the victor.

Must be nice to not have to think.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
sonycowboy said:
The sh*t is getting a liitle too thick around here. EA's game isn't even out until the 21st and without minute 1 with the game, so many of you can clearly crown the victor.

you are talking to a former fan of the EA games. It's been downhill since NHL 99. NHL 98 and 94 were awesome. But, EA decided not to go the way of sim and has been liken to NHL Hitz in a lot of ways.

As a hockey fan, EA hockey games absolutely blow.

DopeyFish said:
you are talking to a former fan of the EA games. It's been downhill since NHL 99. NHL 98 and 94 were awesome. But, EA decided not to go the way of sim and has been liken to NHL Hitz in a lot of ways.

As a hockey fan, EA hockey games absolutely blow.

But, shouldn't people wait to play the game before they call it crap?

Dave Long

Banned
The GMR review for NHL 2005 was like 6/10 while ESPN got 8/10 or something like that. Reviews are based on personal opinion and all that, but my God, how can you completely reverse it like that? The EA games have been pretty much sucking the life out of hockey for years now. Sega's game IS hockey with a few quirks that keep it a videogame.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
...why, just the other day, i was trying on my new moneyhat in the mirror and my wife says to me...

WarPig

sonycowboy said:

Naw, they got the phenomenal psychic powers and shit. I betcha these guys make a mint betting on the Super Bowl every year.

DFS.

Also, what's the point of the sort of review the magazine gave the new Army Men game? That sort of thing reminds me of what Maxim does, and really bothers me. No matter the quality of the game, writers should try to give a little bit of pertinent info regarding the quality of a game.

(I really like XBN. It's the only gaming magazine I read and enjoy.)

Spike

Does ESPN have the World Cup of Hockey tourney? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

EA NHL 2004 turned out to be a damn good hockey game. I love the on-ice sound option. The sound the pucks make when they hit the goalies pads, hearing the players call out the line changes, and the fighting is absolutely superb.

I love ESPN as well, moreso than EA, but I do have one gripe with it. Why can they not get the corners rounded properly. It just doesn't feel right.

WarPig

enjoy bell woods said:
Also, what's the point of the sort of review the magazine gave the new Army Men game? That sort of thing reminds me of what Maxim does, and really bothers me. No matter the quality of the game, writers should try to give a little bit of pertinent info regarding the quality of a game.

Even Army Men games?

Slightly more seriously, though, I think that's sort of a hangover from a few years ago when 3DO seemed to be shipping an Army Men game every four months. Eventually Army Men games seemed to trigger this in-built asshole reflex in reviewers, and we've all still got that reflex long after 3DO's kicked off.

DFS.

WarPig said:
Even Army Men games?

Slightly more seriously, though, I think that's sort of a hangover from a few years ago when 3DO seemed to be shipping an Army Men game every four months. Eventually Army Men games seemed to trigger this in-built asshole reflex in reviewers, and we've all still got that reflex long after 3DO's kicked off.

DFS.
Well, you know, I'd like to hear something about gameplay.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
sonycowboy said:
But, shouldn't people wait to play the game before they call it crap?
I have played it. It's not crap, but it isn't hockey. It's still pinball on ice. XBN is a pretty good mag, but that opinion veers into the realm of the ludicrous. In my opinion, of course. :D

This is what happens when you give Americans free speech! They go and waste it!

DopeyFish said:
NHL 98 and 94 were awesome.
Thank you, sir!

Top Bottom