• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

xbox died :(

iyox

So tonight my xbox kicked the bucket. I went and got it back from my brother and as i go to boot it up it no longer boots, just three failed power ups and then green/red blinking. So i've been searching for info on this so i can hopefully fix it for halo2 tomorrow night. I think it is a bios issue(the xbox isn't modded). My question is: Is it possible to replace the bios? Can i reprogram the chip with a bios image on the net? I have an eeprom programmer, my concern is whether and image i find on the net will work with a non-modded xbox.

When you turn it on does it turn off, or just blink? If it just blinks wildly make sure you have the A/V cable in there. I had a problem where I had to push really hard to try to get it in.

iyox

I am pretty sure it isn't the A/V cable, the documentation says it will blink orange. I did try it without the a/v cable and it blinked orange instead of red but when it is plugged in it goes back to the green/red blinking. I think it is a bios issue.

iyox

Man...I am so pissed. Halo2 is why I got it back from my brother. I've had Halo2 pre-ordered for like a year. No way I can afford to go and get another xbox plus Halo2. This fucking sucks...

lexi

Banned
That's rough. Give MS a call in the morning, perhaps. It might be something relatively simple.

nitewulf

probably the dvd drive, arent replacement widely available on ebay? check with some of the xbox modders here, they may be able to help.

Mine started doing the same thing a month or two ago. First it started freezing midgame, then it would freeze during the bootup screen, then it would power on and off three times and flash red and green. Recently it's started getting further into the bootup screen, and twice I got it to boot (long enough to rescue my saves). The thing's long out of warranty period, and it's modded anyway (though that doesn't seem to be the cause - it functioned perfectly well while modded for over a year). I'll probably pick up another one soon.

iyox

Well it's not the dvd drive as i have it booting up my knoppix right now, on my server.( this thing is rigged up let me tell you).

Dyne

Haha, I've been bragging that my Xbox hasn't bitten the dust yet. It's a Thomson first gen. It's been working strong ever since I got it, with only one freeze the second day I had it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
WELL THAT ABOUT WRAPS IT UP FOR MICR...oh, wait. Nevermind. :|

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
jiji said:
Mine started doing the same thing a month or two ago. First it started freezing midgame, then it would freeze during the bootup screen, then it would power on and off three times and flash red and green. Recently it's started getting further into the bootup screen, and twice I got it to boot (long enough to rescue my saves). The thing's long out of warranty period, and it's modded anyway (though that doesn't seem to be the cause - it functioned perfectly well while modded for over a year). I'll probably pick up another one soon.

Lemme guess -- Xenium chip? The 3-time-reboot-to-frag problem is not uncommon, nor is it uncommon that it just happens out of the blue. You might want to have a look at your D0 wire and make sure it's as short as it can be, and/or use the recovery mode switch to reflash the OS.

I honestly used to get a little more juice out of it by giving the xbox a good thwack on the side -- that'd get me playing for another few hours (I once extended the life of a TV for a year the same way), but since resoldering the chip with a shorter D0, I haven't had the problem again.

brandonnn said:
Lemme guess -- Xenium chip? The 3-time-reboot-to-frag problem is not uncommon, nor is it uncommon that it just happens out of the blue. You might want to have a look at your D0 wire and make sure it's as short as it can be, and/or use the recovery mode switch to reflash the OS.
Nah, it's an Xecuter2 Pro. My Xbox does the same thing whether or not I've got the chip on or off, and whether or not the ground wire and the header pins are connected. I think it must be some other component...I just wish I could figure out what it was. It's not the DVD drive, either, because it does the same thing whether or not that's hooked up. It could be an intermittent hardware failure in the HDD, I suppose.

iyox

Well i've pretty much ruled out that is the DVD drive or the hard disk. I have used the DVD drive in my computer fine(by hooking up the ide cable and turning on the xbox to power it). The hard drive was trickier due to the locking by MS. It was recognized at the very least by my server. I've looked inside and really don't see anything out of the ordinary, so as to which component is causing this I am unable to figure out at this point. Any ideas? I need to play Halo 2 tonight!!!!! I don't have the cash for another xbox. I think god hates me. :(

Ryck

What happens when you turn it on with no game inside the drive? ( whats on the screen ) it should give you the green screen of death in various languages and an error code on the top left . You can check that error code online (not sure which sites just do a search) the code tells you what the problem is.

What happens when you turn it on with no game inside the drive? ( whats on the screen ) it should give you the green screen of death in various languages and an error code on the top left . You can check that error code online (not sure which sites just do a search) the code tells you what the problem is.

It shows absolutly nothing on the screen.

Edit: I'm Iyox's brother, who had the X-box in my room for a while and when we out it in my bro's room it wouldn't work.

Ryck

It might be an av problem then because all xbox's flash red and orange if you turn them on with no av cable in the back ..... at least both of mine do. If it wasn't you would be gettign the green screen saying it needed maintnance (sp)

iyox

I don't think it is an A/V problem because it would flash green/orange, rather than green/red. I have tried it without the A/V cable in just to see if it would give me the green/orange, and sure enough it did, so i have come to the conclusion it isn't an A/V problem.

iyox

Ugh this sucks so much. This is the first console i've had die on me, freaking pain in the ass to figure out if i should go buy a new one or call it a loss and sell all my stuff. So fucking pissed right now.

I had this happen to me when I brought my XBox to a friends house.
After it was broken for a few days, one day I picked it up and shook it gently and in miraculously started working again... so I guess something wasn't in it's proper place and shaking it put it back.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
And there's no error code?

That's really strange.

What spins? Disc? Fans? Any audio...?

The XBOX is pretty much off the shelf parts. You shouldn't have to get another unless it's the HDD and you don't want to mod it.

iyox

What spins? Disc? Fans? Any audio...?

It starts, then turns off, starts turns off, starts then turns on nothing on the screen just the blinking red light. The cd spins up but only because it is connected to the power i believe.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Oh...

That's called a FRAG (Flashing Red and Green). Happens when the BIOS is corrupted.

Mod it.

iyox

Thanks everyone for the help. I guess i am going to mod it and see if that works. I guess we probably can't talk about modchips or that sort of thing on here, but if anyone can help me out with modchips it would be appreciated :)

Top Bottom