• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox DVD-ROM's swappable?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Okay, it's haxxoring time (but it's legal). Given that:

1.) My Xbox with a Thompson drive has shitted out on me
2.) I keep getting DDE's
3.) Microsoft Japan refuses to fix it (as it's a US Xbox)
4.) I have the tools necessary for openig the Xbox

Is it possible to replace an Xbox DVD drive with a newer one (non-Thompson) from another Xbox? I know the HDD's are "keyed" so you can't move them from one Xbox to another, but I dunno if this is the case with the DVD drives. Could I theoretically swap 'em without problem?

Yes, I would just buy another Xbox, but there's all this Live and DLC and custom soundtracks and other good crap on my current one.

I will paste an image macro deriding you if you make a retarded reply. Thank you!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"1.) My Xbox with a Thompson drive has shitted out on me
2.) I keep getting DDE's
4.) I have the tools necessary for openig the Xbox"

LEOsh's "special" Xbox drive crapped out today.
She's less than happy.
F**king MS !

But if you find out how to replace the drive, i'd be more than interested.

Holywood are selling chipped overclocked Xboxes for....

$790

BARGAIN! .... :(

the staff there are very nice and friendly, but sometimes their prices are too fecked up.
I want La Pucelle in English, but 82$ is somewhat taking the piss.

Sho Nuff said:
I know the HDD's are "keyed" so you can't move them from one Xbox to another, but I dunno if this is the case with the DVD drives. Could I theoretically swap 'em without problem?

Afaik that's only a problem with the HDD, but not with the DVD. What I don't know is if one of the newest Philips drives (the ones used in the latest Xbox models) works with older Xbox models. I have a similar problem with my sep 2001 US-Box which has started showing up DDEs.

SKluck

Banned
http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15858

I did it myself. Get another Thomson though, yes they are generally shit but do you really want to spend $70-100 on a Philips or Samsung when you can just buy another xbox for 50 bucks more? You can get a Thomson for $35, I did. And I haven't had a problem since.

Dunno what prices would be in japan, but being a US xbox I doubt you will pay much more than I did.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
You should grab a broken Xbox from ebay for about $20 at max and pull out the drive, then stick it in your Xbox, it should work unless the broken Xbox you got had a problem with it's DVD rom.

bitwise

Banned
GSG Flash said:
You should grab a broken Xbox from ebay for about $20 at max and pull out the drive, then stick it in your Xbox, it should work unless the broken Xbox you got had a problem with it's DVD rom.

they sell on ebay for at least $60, usually 70. I've been watching :<

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
bitwise said:
they sell on ebay for at least $60, usually 70. I've been watching :<

Yes that's true, but if you do some good last minute bidding, you should be able to get one for under $30, although you will have that shipping cost to pay, it's still a lot cheaper than that $100 deal.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
DCharlie said:
"1.) My Xbox with a Thompson drive has shitted out on me
2.) I keep getting DDE's
4.) I have the tools necessary for openig the Xbox"

LEOsh's "special" Xbox drive crapped out today.
She's less than happy.
F**king MS !

But if you find out how to replace the drive, i'd be more than interested.

Holywood are selling chipped overclocked Xboxes for....

$790

BARGAIN! .... :(

the staff there are very nice and friendly, but sometimes their prices are too fecked up.
I want La Pucelle in English, but 82$ is somewhat taking the piss.

You said the same thing to me.... when I killed my box...
I would give you my drive... but it is crap too!
You are welcome to give it a shot just to see if it works with my old drive...

Top Bottom