• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LAN question

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Two Questions:

1) How do I set up two Xbox's and two TVs to play head to head? (assuming its possible...)

2) Will Halo 2 support this type of setup? (will I be able to have 8 player deathmatch?)

I'm throwing a Halo 2 Launch party and this would be the ideal setup for the event, but I've never done anything like this before. I'm assuming all I need is some Cat 5 ethernet cable between the two systems.... but that may be naive of me.

Any help provided will really be appreciated.

Datawhore said:
Two Questions:

1) How do I set up two Xbox's and two TVs to play head to head? (assuming its possible...)

2) Will Halo 2 support this type of setup? (will I be able to have 8 player deathmatch?)

I'm throwing a Halo 2 Launch party and this would be the ideal setup for the event, but I've never done anything like this before. I'm assuming all I need is some Cat 5 ethernet cable between the two systems.... but that may be naive of me.

Halo 2 will let you do 8 players with 2 Xboxen yes. You just need a crossover ethernet cable to link the two xboxes.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
Mr. Lemming said:
Halo 2 will let you do 8 players with 2 Xboxen yes. You just need a crossover ethernet cable to link the two xboxes.

Pardon my ignorance, but is a crossover ethernet cable different from your typical ethernet cable? (i doubt it...)

Actually it is different, two of the wires are switched (Apparently it is easy to convert a regular cable to a crossover cable on your own, but i have never actually done that). If you are connecting the two xboxes directly, make sure it is a crossover cable, if you are going to be connection through a router or hub or switch or something along those lines you can get away with using regular cables.

Allright, all this talk of cross cables and such.. and Monk hasn't put any word in so I suppose I will. If 8 people is all you're going to have, that's fine. But methinks perhaps Halo 2 will gather a bit more of a crowd.

If you've got Highspeed net access chances are you've got some sort of router or hub laying around, I've got my Linksys sitting right next to me. Perhaps I'll lean down a moment and pet it lovingly..

All right, with that out of the way. I'd suggest having your pals bring their boxes over and setting your hub in a central location. Bringing some extra CAT-5 with them would be nice too. Then you can go beyond just the two boxes.. or if you only have 8 people you don't have to go four way split. This of course also requires more TVs, but if your pals have some smaller sets that they don't mind carting over then you're set.

Four guys to a room each with two boxes and two TVs still allows for communication and if need be screen watching without the distraction of three other guys on the same screen.

That's just how we've rolled in my little circle in the past, so maybe I've over complicated things a bit. Also if I've somehow missed that Halo 2 will only allow for two boxes to be linked rather than the original four, I'm sure someone will correct me.

If you don't have a means other than a cross to connect maybe you could ask around and one of your friends could supply the means of a larger connection. While 4 on 4 is all well and good you should go CTF Hogs only to 5 captures with 8 on 8. Now that is some crazy shit.

The Guivre said:
That's just how we've rolled in my little circle in the past, so maybe I've over complicated things a bit. Also if I've somehow missed that Halo 2 will only allow for two boxes to be linked rather than the original four, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Halo 2 lets you link up to 16 boxes, so each of the 16 max players can have their own screen.

With Lemming's comment in mind, I'd say call up the whole block and tell them to get their asses over for some Master Chief action.

aerofx

Datawhore said:
Two Questions:

If you already have regular ethernet cables then just get this crossover adapter.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3638535?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
3638535.box.GIF

Top Bottom