• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade - IGN review(s)

Deku Tree

To steep for me. Usually games get severe price drops because stores need to clear the shelf space. With no shelf space problems, I wonder if these prices will ever come down.

Xellos

$9.99-$14.99 is outrageous for these games. They'll never sell. Considering the kind of compilations Midway is willing to release for $20, these games should be $2, max.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
$10 for Bejeweled... when I can download it for free... or play it at yahoo games IIRC.... ok....

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
We just have to hold out and Microsoft will drop the price. This pricing structure is a bit ridiculous considering these games are free on PC. On console, you can get a high quality title for $20, no need to settle for mediocrity in 'budget titles.'

Mrbob

These titles need to go the music route.

$.99-$1.99 per title to download.

10-15 bucks is ridiculous.

I really hope these bomb so MS has to lower the price.

Fifty

Interesting idea, but an epic fuckup on the pricing. Itunes works because the prices seem fair (they are) and people can justify purchasing them. Paying 10-15 bucks...almost as much as a "budget" (many quality games launch at 20 bucks now) is just stupid.

DarienA said:
$10 for Bejeweled... when I can download it for free... or play it at yahoo games IIRC.... ok....

Or you could buy Animal Crackers or Zoo Commandant or whatever the fuck it's called on the DS. The N-troops were eating that shit up yesterday.

I guess you have to recieve MS type money for this pricing structure to make sense. I'll be damned if I pay 10 bucks for something like Zuma.

jedimike

DarienA said:

For fucks sake... bejeweled is not free. $19.95 You are playing the trial version, just like you can with Xbox Live.

I'll be damned if I pay 10 bucks for something like Zuma.

For fucks sake... Zuma is not free. $19.95 You are playing the trial version, just like you can with Xbox Live.

This pricing structure is a bit ridiculous considering these games are free on PC.

For fucks sake... yah, these games ain't free either.

Ranger X

I'm sure the casuals will pay the fees like fucktards. Remember that the Nintendo classics series on SP are selling pretty well. It's a sad world i guess...

Renegade

Banned
A bit high, but I guess at the current model, it's the only way to make decent profit. Remember that they're only working with 1.5 million Live users.

MrparisSM

Banned
jedimike said:
For fucks sake... bejeweled is not free. $19.95 You are playing the trial version, just like you can with Xbox Live.

For fucks sake... Zuma is not free. $19.95 You are playing the trial version, just like you can with Xbox Live.

For fucks sake... yah, these games ain't free either.

Thanks for putting that into perspective. I just might try them out now.... So the Xbox live "full" versions are actually cheaper than what you can get on PC?

thorns

Banned
Some of the games are definately overpriced (namco vintage) and $20 for games that are going to offer multiplayer is too much also IMHO. Most of those games would be better off being sold at $5, but if the game sells for $20 on pc , I guess it's hard to convince them to sell at $5 on xbox live.

Teddman

Way overpriced, the Xbox Arcade sales system will flop. It should be a flat rate for all the arcade titles per year--say, $5 on top of an annual LIVE membership.

Anyhow, is Ricochet: Lost Worlds a different game from Ricochet Xtreme on PC? As in all new levels.. I dig Breakout-style games.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
jedimike said:

I know the retail version costs... actually at the developers site it costs $19.99.

But if I want to play Bejeweled for free I can play the web version at the developer's site as well.

or I can play Diamond Mind at Yahoo's game site again for free.

So by buying the Xbox version do I get multi-player? Nope. And that's available in other versions. Oh I do get persistent high scores though.

It's not a bad deal, but multi-player would have been better.

Good defense mike, good defense.

I'm not sure what you mean about playing the trial game on XBL. I can download Diamond Mind/Bejeweled on my PC and play it for awhile before I have to purchase it... or I can play the web version free forever... if I want the XBL version I have to get the free launcher disc then by Bejeweled immediately for $19.95... or are they offering a trial period? If so I didn't see that in the IGN article(It's very possible I missed it if it is there).

Jesiatha

DarienA said:
or are they offering a trial period? If so I didn't see that in the IGN article(It's very possible I missed it if it is there).

Every game on Xbox Live Arcade has a free downloadable demo version to try before you buy. Just like the versions on the web.

:)

Also - the demo versions may not be identical - we don't have ad revenue to support the XArcade version, but you will at least be able to play some of the Xbox version for free. And I agree that the pricing structure is crazy - but I also think that $20 for the deluxe downloads is insane, and those things sell like hotcakes.

Top Bottom