• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Headset Shipments Top 1.0M

Hmmmm...

[8/5/2004 10:56:45 AM ET]
Plantronics, Inc., which manufacturers the Xbox Live headset, has now shipped over one million pieces of the product to Microsoft.
Matt Miller, director of product marketing for Plantronics, stated, "With the combination of increased adoption of online gaming through services like Xbox Live and our headset's crystal clear audio, we're able to deliver the most intense gaming experience possible."
Plantronics has been making communications headsets since 1962.

garrickk

I think IJoel just wanted to prevent the, "Yeah! MS lied! They said there were 1,000,000 Live accounts already!" post.

There's a few different situations to account for:

No Headsets
1) 2-Month Free Trial w/most Live games last holiday (no headset)
2) 12-Month Xbox Live Renewal Card (no headset, can be used for new account)

but on the flipside you have:

Extra Headsets
1) Headset sold individually (as replacement, or for one of the 2 cases previously)
2) People who bought Xbox Live, but let thier subscription run out (headset, but No Live)

IJoel

sonycowboy said:

No Headsets

Extra Headsets
1) Headset sold individually (as replacement, or for one of the 2 cases previously)
2) People who bought Xbox Live, but let thier subscription run out (headset, but No Live)

To this day, most high profile Xbox Live games include a 2 month trial card. The last one I got was with ESPN NFL 2K5.

If anything, it's a good sign that a significant number of people (compared to the 1M opened accounts) are buying Xbox Live kits and actually paying for the service.

Stop the:
bait.gif

jedimike

sonycowboy said:

No Headsets

Extra Headsets

Every Xbox sold already has an Xbox Live option in the dashboard. You can sign-up from there. Also, Splinter Cell: PT had free 12 month subscriptions for every one in 20 games sold.

As far as headsets go, it's a standard plug. I have used my cell phone headset to play on XBL. Plus 3rd party manufacturers are also selling headsets that are cheaper than the official ones.

I don't see any foul play on MS's part with this announcement.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
IJoel said:
To this day, most high profile Xbox Live games include a 2 month trial card. The last one I got was with ESPN NFL 2K5.

If anything, it's a good sign that a significant number of people (compared to the 1M opened accounts) are buying Xbox Live kits and actually paying for the service.

Stop the:
bait.gif

Is it one use only for the two month trials? I mean, if I keep buying new live games, can I continually use the trials that they come with? Or is it one trial ever per user.

jedimike

levious said:
Is it one use only for the two month trials? I mean, if I keep buying new live games, can I continually use the trials that they come with? Or is it one trial ever per user.

You could... but you would need a new CC and gamertag for every offer you used.

IJoel

levious said:

One trial per user. I imagine they must control it by CC #. If you have multiple CCs I can't think of why you wouldn't be able to sign up multiple times with different gamertags.

jedimike said:
Every Xbox sold already has an Xbox Live option in the dashboard. You can sign-up from there. Also, Splinter Cell: PT had free 12 month subscriptions for every one in 20 games sold.

As far as headsets go, it's a standard plug. I have used my cell phone headset to play on XBL. Plus 3rd party manufacturers are also selling headsets that are cheaper than the official ones.

I don't see any foul play on MS's part with this announcement.

I'm not trying to say they did. I just found it interesting that they just reached the milestone (although it doesn't mention as of what date, it could have been of June 30th, we just don't know). It doesn't set an upper limit on how many Xbox Live subscriptions are out there as there are numerous ways to have Xbox Live w/o having the official headset.

When you mentioned the headset, don't you still have to have the adapter that goes into the controller? I know you can use many headsets, but the adapter only comes with Xbox Live headsets (1st or 3rd party), right?

My hmmm.. was because it is just another official number out there. Much like knowing how many PS2 NA's have been shipped wouldn't help us out much either, and knowing how many of the official Sony, Logitech, or SOCOM headsets doesn't tell us anything about online numbers either. They're just a nice piece of information to know.

jedimike

sonycowboy said:
When you mentioned the headset, don't you still have to have the adapter that goes into the controller? I know you can use many headsets, but the adapter only comes with Xbox Live headsets (1st or 3rd party), right?

Yes you still need the headset part, I used my cell phone headset as a replacement when I broke mine.

I'm not trying to say they did. I just found it interesting that they just reached the milestone

OK. I just misunderstood the "hmmmmm" part. It sounded like speculation to me.

levious

no, the adapter comes with any iteration of headset, 1st or 3rd party. With the adapter alone, any sort of head set can be used, even hands-free mobile phone headsets.

That's interesting, I'd of figured they'd keep track of what system you're signing up from.

jedimike

levious said:
That's interesting, I'd of figured they'd keep track of what system you're signing up from.

You can multiple XBL accounts on one Xbox. That's why MS needed credit cards. That have to verify that the account is tied to an individual and not an Xbox or address. Credit Cards are the only constant they can use... plus they are very convenient for billing.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I feel so conflicted... on the one hand this is a sales thread so I feel like I should be arguing something.... on the other hand it's a sales thread about headsets.... that's just..... where's that limp wrist smiley when I need it.....

levious

aw crap, I initially came in here to talk shit about the topic... but I got distracted with a legit question... I suck.

Top Bottom