• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox live problem

adam20

ok i cant find any information on this on the help sites at xbox.com...

when i try to get an xbox live account (I have two free months). it sais cerdit card cannot be authorized. and select a different one or something. well visa is all we got. so what can i do? do i need to tell the folks to get some other credit card or renew american express? mom has american express but it expires this month. so um i dont think it would be wize to use it.

is this a common occurance? would fixing it just involve phoning the company? i been trying to hook up xbox live for days and its pi--ing me off. first i had to figure out that i had to update my dashboard and now this.

what can i do :(

ChrisReid

The Amex card expiring this month would be fine. It sounds like the card is declining because a number is typed wrong, there's no money in the account or something like that.

adam20

thanks for the response. i will try it again and this time see my mother's card for myself to see she communicated it to me correctly.

regarding the card expiring this month.... if it expires i still will have the 2 months free correct? like it cannot be shut down i assume or only shut down after the 2 months over? would this be a good assumption to be made?

also my mother claims to be getting the next amex card in the mail this month. should i just so inpatiently wait for it? i mean this is halo2 were are talking about. time is not a realistic option! (gasp).

if the card expiring this month is still fine then that would be great. do new cards coming in have the same number and just a dif exp date? i really hope this old card will work. thanks.

anyone else know how this will work? thanks.

BuddyC

all xbox live wants is a valid cc number. it doesn't care if the cc expires in week, as long as it works now. if you decide you want to stay on xbox live or buy premium content, then yea, you'd want to update the cc number in your profile. so you'll be fine using that american express - just make sure you write down the number somewhere safe in case you need it for account recovery or something of that sort.

BuddyChrist83 said:
just make sure you write down the number somewhere safe in case you need it for account recovery or something of that sort.

Along those lines, for most account verification stuff they only ask for the last 4 digits of your card, so you can get away with just keeping those. The only thing that requires the entire card number is account recovery AFAIK.

adam20

thanks for the advice. and i will try calling that number if i have some other issues. I hope this works. I will try the american express tomorrow morning as i cannot today (god it sucks not having my own stereo tv (need to get rf switch if i want to play here on my tiny 15 inch old sony tv).

it seems on the actual visa card TD Bank Visa there are 3 additional numbers on the other side of the card. i dunno why only on the back. and i dont know why the card number exactly as it was written didn't world and couldnt be authorized. i will try with those additional 3 numbers on the back but it doesnt make sense as the last numbers are supposed to be 4 numbers. not 3. 4 sets of 4 numbers i believe.

if it doesnt work which i may assume it work i will go along with the american express plan. thanks guys. ill let u know if i am finally online tomorrow. i hope it works or earth is doomed.

adam20 said:
thanks for the advice. and i will try calling that number if i have some other issues. I hope this works. I will try the american express tomorrow morning as i cannot today (god it sucks not having my own stereo tv (need to get rf switch if i want to play here on my tiny 15 inch old sony tv).

it seems on the actual visa card TD Bank Visa there are 3 additional numbers on the other side of the card. i dunno why only on the back. and i dont know why the card number exactly as it was written didn't world and couldnt be authorized. i will try with those additional 3 numbers on the back but it doesnt make sense as the last numbers are supposed to be 4 numbers. not 3. 4 sets of 4 numbers i believe.

if it doesnt work which i may assume it work i will go along with the american express plan. thanks guys. ill let u know if i am finally online tomorrow. i hope it works or earth is doomed.

The 3 digits are the CSC code, which is only printed on the card and not contained in the magnetic strip information or on any statements. This helps to prove to a (typically mail-order or internet) vendor that you have the card in your possession.

nasanu

Banned
adam20 said:
mom has american express but it expires this month. so um i dont think it would be wize to use it

Use it dude. I used my gf's cc to sign up and it expired 2 days after. I have bought downloadable content with it (PGR stuff when it came out) and have never been charged for it. Dunno whats going to happen with that, its atleast 6 months down the track now :) But I know for sure its not going to be charged to the card. KInd of a shame really since she is now an ex gf.

Top Bottom