• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox (Mod) Issues: XBMC problems and HDD question

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
We havent had a Mod thread in a while so anyone else with questions feel free to chime in. (that means ask)

Basically SMB has for some reason stopped working entirely from XBMC ( i didnt even have to set it up the first time, i just went into workgroups from the menu and it found my workgroup and my PC then accessed my shares fine ) its saying access denied despite the fact it shouldnt be. Ive tried changing the xml file to include a username and password and directing it straight to the directory but i still get accessed denied. Im using XP, and it worked perfectly before my router broke and i had to get a replacement (is there a setting on there i need to change maybe?)

So i figure as i cant see a solution to that problem (help me please) it is time i upgraded my Xbox hard drive to something more substantial, i really want to rip all my futurama DVDs and all the other random series i watch and stick 'em all on the box so i can enjoy hours of watching pleasure. Anyway, does it matter which Hard drive i get (i did check Xbox scene but the FAQs are so crowded with different opinions i cant really work out what the definitive answer is) should it definitly be a maxtor or a western digitial, is RPM a factor for performance? Are some more likely to be able to lock than others?

I think i decifered what i need to install the drive, i have my slayer cd all burnt and made sure the xbox reads it, now i just need the drive itself.

Ta for the help.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
If SMB stopped working when you changed the router, make sure that if you use DHCP both you Xbox and PC are on the same IP range (who knows what can happen) and that your router is not configured as a domain master for the workgroup (I think some routers can do that).
For the HD I'd go with Seagate, they are really quiet.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
oh wait, seems like its actually my PC that is the problem because my housemate came back and i can get to his shares with no problems...dont you just need a guest account setup for access to be granted?

Thanks for the seagate tip.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I recently tried to make Avalaunch my default dash by following some directions from there site and renaming evoxlaunch.xbe to evox.xbe and renaming avalaunch's .xbe as well. This wasn't such a good idea cause now my Xbox only loads up the default Xbox dashboard, not allowing me to even FTP in and rename the files!

The Faceless Master suggested I make a boot disc with Evox or a file manager program on it, but I've tried that using Qwix ISO on 2 different CDR's and a DVDR, but the Xbox doesn't recognize them :( Any ideas???

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Basically SMB has for some reason stopped working entirely from XBMC ( i didnt even have to set it up the first time, i just went into workgroups from the menu and it found my workgroup and my PC then accessed my shares fine ) its saying access denied despite the fact it shouldnt be. Ive tried changing the xml file to include a username and password and directing it straight to the directory but i still get accessed denied. Im using XP, and it worked perfectly before my router broke and i had to get a replacement (is there a setting on there i need to change maybe?)

That happened to me once, so I just started over and made a totally new music share w/ a very distinct name. I not go to Music_Bitches as my MP3 share in memory of Rick James. The method in which SMB shares are sequenced in the mediacenter.xml has changed in recent versions.

Is your XBOX able to go out to the web? Are you seeing the RSS feed at the bottom? If so, then you just have to iron out your shares.

smartjoy-frag-xbox.jpg

Mouse and keyboard support ahoy!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ghost said:
yeah it does get the rss feed, what do you mean by iron out the shares?

If the RSS feed shows itself, but you can't access your shares it means your Xbox is connected to the PC but your shares aren't properly configured in XboxMediaCenter.xml

My xml goes like this:

Code:
<bookmark>
    <name>My Music</name>
    <path>smb://[b]User:Password@Computer Name/Share Name[/b]</path>
</bookmark>

So if my user name was Ghost, password was Banshee, computer name was FRANKENSTEIN, and share name was My Music the code would go like this.

Code:
<bookmark>
    <name>My Music</name>
    <path>smb://[b]Ghost:Banshee@FRANKENSTEIN/My Music[/b]</path>
</bookmark>

oh wait, seems like its actually my PC that is the problem because my housemate came back and i can get to his shares with no problems...dont you just need a guest account setup for access to be granted?

I turned off my guest account and just used my user name and password from my main profile which is also a admin account.

So i figure as i cant see a solution to that problem (help me please) it is time i upgraded my Xbox hard drive to something more substantial, i really want to rip all my futurama DVDs and all the other random series i watch and stick 'em all on the box so i can enjoy hours of watching pleasure. Anyway, does it matter which Hard drive i get (i did check Xbox scene but the FAQs are so crowded with different opinions i cant really work out what the definitive answer is) should it definitly be a maxtor or a western digitial, is RPM a factor for performance? Are some more likely to be able to lock than others?

RPM: If you get anything below a 7200 RPM HDD you will notice slowdown in any game that uses the HDD constanly.

Brand: Get either a WD, Maxtor, or Seagate. Avoid the IBM/Hitachi Deathstar like the plague.

Cache: The only difference between 8MB and 2MB is $5

Ability to Lock: I haven't had a problem locking any new WD, Maxtor, or Seagate.

Don't forget to visit Newegg when your shopping around for HDD's.

I recently tried to make Avalaunch my default dash by following some directions from there site and renaming evoxlaunch.xbe to evox.xbe and renaming avalaunch's .xbe as well. This wasn't such a good idea cause now my Xbox only loads up the default Xbox dashboard, not allowing me to even FTP in and rename the files!

What kind of drive do you have? Thomsons won't read CD-R and it sometimes takes 2-4 ejects for it to read a DVD +/- R / CD-RW... And have you tried using xISO?

DaCocoBrova

^^

Thank you. I didn't feel like doing all that typing.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
thanks, but ive tried all that (several times with several different shares), still access denied.

Scoobert

RPM: If you get anything below a 7200 RPM HDD you will notice slowdown in any game that uses the HDD constanly.

Really? Isn't the Xbox hdd a 5400 though? I thought 7200 hdd did nothing for the Xbox because the games were designed with 5400 in mind. Hm...I guess not.

DaCocoBrova

^^

The XBOX wasn't designed to play games off the HDD.

Think about that for a second.

open_mouth_ said:

The Faceless Master suggested I make a boot disc with Evox or a file manager program on it, but I've tried that using Qwix ISO on 2 different CDR's and a DVDR, but the Xbox doesn't recognize them :( Any ideas???

Changing over to Avalaunch from EvoX is a snap. And you can stillhave functionality of EvoX. Check your PM. ;)

Nester

Apharmd Battler said:
Changing over to Avalaunch from EvoX is a snap. And you can stillhave functionality of EvoX. Check your PM. ;)

Can I get a PM too? I've been meaning to switch over.

Top Bottom