• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That is one serious oversight. Honestly, that should be there from day one.

It's not on either console. With followers/general expansion I guess both of them figured the notifications would be too much. I would be surprised if they don't add in an option for it later anyway.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How long did it take your guys xbox one to download the main update. Because mine has been sitting there for 20 mins saying updating.

It only took me 5-10 minutes, but that was a few hours ago. Since then the DR3 patch took forever and Killer Instinct is still crawling along, so they seem to be pretty hammered right now.

Alx

How do you access download queue?

I don't know if you can display the download queue, but I found how you could make a download jump at the start of the queue : set the focus on its tile in the "My games & apps" page, press "Start" (or however it's called now), and select "Install now" in the menu that appears.

anyone else's Xbox one make random noises when playing a game? its happened in both killer instinct and dead rising 3

just like a 10-20 second light buzz noise

its not the predator disc eater noise, maybe a precursor to it 0_o

other then that the system is good. I'm sweat'n

It only took me 5-10 minutes, but that was a few hours ago. Since then the DR3 patch took forever and Killer Instinct is still crawling along, so they seem to be pretty hammered right now.

Thanks. I had hoped that my UPS guy would get here sooner than 4:30. I figured they were going to get hammered once everyone started getting off of work.

Just compared the Call of Duty Ghost Player Online count from Xbox One and PS4, both current.

Xbox One - 23,507
Playstation 4 - 21,146

Xbox One doomed confirmed. ;P That 3 to 1 ratio, if only.

Woffls

Today I walked into the living room and said "Xbox on" in my dry southern English voice. My entire av setup turned on, and Kinect signed me in without having to do a damn thing. Next gen UX, bro.

Man it's so difficult to find stuff on this thing. It's not major, but god damn, how about letting me browse games by, I dunno' genre, name, release date?? Not just your curated lists, MS?

At the moment I'm just watching CPU play Killer Instinct because it's pretty and I can't find any demos to download. I only have Fifa, but will go and buy Forza tomorrow, I think. I was really hoping for just a demo of NBA or NFS or something :( oh well.

Oh and how do I play music in the background, not just snapped?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Thanks and i know why i do not like kinect....i like everything fast, as in when i choose any option on screen it goes where i select.

You have to say things in a certain manner for it to pick up , not to mention specific wording.

Most reviewers said they needed time to see if it will be great, the answer is no because it is actually pretty slow and very very limited.

Will end up selling or trading in for credit but i look forward to the games on xbox one.

I think you're not using it correctly. It seems like you're looking at things already in front of you and thinking that you could select it faster with a controller. Probably, but that's not what makes Kinect faster. You can use Kinect to go from anywhere in the UI to anywhere else. So you can be playing a game and say "Xbox go to settings" and it pops up, whereas that would be 4-5 button presses away. Using Kinect will be much faster to get to many things than using a controller for everything.

EDIT: Case in point:

Today I walked into the living room and said "Xbox on" in my dry southern English voice. My entire av setup turned on, and Kinect signed me in without having to do a damn thing. Next gen UX, bro.

Kysel

Anyone managed to get HDMI pass-thru working with a PC.
My TV is 720p (displays 1366x768 to be exact)
any res on my PC seems to get black border :(
Any ideas?

Miles X

I don't know if you can display the download queue, but I found how you could make a download jump at the start of the queue : set the focus on its tile in the "My games & apps" page, press "Start" (or however it's called now), and select "Install now" in the menu that appears.

Thanks, it's all very streamlined and minimal, I can't even find settings.

Jarrod38

Does anyone know if Logitech Harmony has updated their software yet to support the Xbox One?

Yes they did.

Device
Step 1) Plug in your remote
Step 3) www.myharmony.com
Step 4) Add Device
Step 5) Next
Step 6) Microsoft as Manufacturer and Xbox One as Model
Step 7) Done

Activity
Step 1) Click on Activities
Step 2) Add Activity
Step 3) Pick Additional Play A Game
Step 4) Click Next
Step 5) Name it Xbox One
Step 6) Next
Step 7) Select Game Console
Step 8) Next
Step 9) Pick Input you use
Step 10) Next
Step 11) Click Done

Damn son

I'm using my keyboard and mouse to go through GAF on my left monitor and controlling my right screen completely through voice controls as I install my games, check to see what my friends are doing online, etc

my god

dat next gen feel

EvB

Anyone managed to get PC pass-thru working with a PC.
My TV is 720p (displays 1366x768 to be exact)
any res on my PC seems to get black border :(
Any ideas?

What are you trying to do, plug a PC into the Xbox One or Plug in the Xbox one into a PC monitor?

Lurch666

Some Q's I'd appreciate being answered :)

Are there any demos for anything other than KI (which I've bought anyway) and Xbox Fitness? The store front is very basic so I don't think I'm missing anything but you never know ...

kinect sports has a jetski demo

Yes they did.

Device
Step 1) Plug in your remote
Step 3) www.myharmony.com
Step 4) Add Device
Step 5) Next
Step 6) Microsoft as Manufacturer and Xbox One as Model
Step 7) Done

Activity
Step 1) Click on Activities
Step 2) Add Activity
Step 3) Pick Additional Play A Game
Step 4) Click Next
Step 5) Name it Xbox One
Step 6) Next
Step 7) Select Game Console
Step 8) Next
Step 9) Pick Input you use
Step 10) Next
Step 11) Click Done

I'd love if the Kinect IR blaster could interact with the Harmony Hub so my remote would know when I've turned everything on/off with my voice.

malfcn

I may have to contact Amazon about my controller. :(
Unless there is another channel to get a new one. That great dpad is not so great on mine.

Fiddled around with mine last night. UI feels slick and powerful, esp. with Kinect shortcuts, which worked very well for me. Didn't see any games I felt compelled to buy.

Where are:
- demos?
- DLNA support? (I used my ipad as a bridge to play to the xbox, but I can just do that to the tv directly)
- Browse all games?

The power on/off stuff seems good, except it can't turn my receiver on and off. Haven't figured out how to tell it what receiver I have, or if this is even actually possible/working.

Media services (amazon, netflix, vudu, etc.) seem to work fine, but that's to be expected when all the other devices in my entertainment center, including my TV, already have them as well.

Have not tried Skype yet.

TV integration is pretty cool, worked well with my cable box, even seems to record shows automatically on the DVR while I'm watching so that I can rewind, pause, etc. Too bad I never watch TV outside Netflix etc. except for Archer. It wasn't able to handle muting, though, because my TV's speakers are already off, since the receiver handles everything. Not being able to interact with the receiver seems like a moderately big downside.

Console settings didn't seem to be quite as in-depth as PS4's, although the screen calibration tools and advice are a nice addition for users who have never bothered with such a thing.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I cannot get this thing to turn on. Thing that was posted in a video before launch of the guy trying to turn his on, his power supply going orange white then orange again is happening to me. It shuts itself off before even booting up.

Woffls

And why the bollocks can I not require a password for my account for standard sign-in and not Kinect sign in? I'm sure this is one of the many features that will be added along the way - I'm kinda looking forward to all the updates over the next year.

I love the hardware. Everything from the box to the HDMI cable has been given a lot of attention, so I have a lot of confidence in the hardware this time around. So quiet as well ^_^

Not got HDMI pass-through working from my 360S though :(

Does the day one edition of Forza 5 have special labeling on it in the US?

Just grabbed a copy from walmart and I didn't see any copies with any special symbol saying Day One like the pics I've seen for day one versions

Same goes for Dead Rising 3

Miles X

I bet Amazon would want a full swap out though. :(
And it is really sporadic too. Trying to narrow a way down to consistently diagnose why it happens, if at all possible.

That would be so unnecessary though. You planning on picking up another pad at any point? You could always buy now and send your broken one back to MS, would still be able to play that way.

Also where is the XB1 tech/trouble shooting thread? I can't find it and my friend has a problem.

Top Bottom