• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

kiryogi

Banned
Gvaz said:
This game looks fucking gorgeous emulated.
Indeed, SD aside, the game is a technical marvel with what they managed to do. And even then, the art direction also helps make up for anything it lacks. Like the millions of 2d grasses on the various plain, Or the amazing draw distance that lets you see Mechonis in the sky.

Xenoblade HD would be so awesome if they went and did it. . .

ivysaur12

Banned
wrowa said:
I'm just waiting for the day Monolith announces Baten Kaitos 3 and Xenoblade 2 for the Wii U.

3274512925_6c166a2131.jpg

2San

Question about parties and other stuff. After colony 6.
So I hear people saying Dunban is a good character, but how do you actually make him useful? Is he useful if you yourself don't control him? Also can he properly hold agro? He doesn't seem to have many hate arts(or does he just deal the most damage?

kiryogi

Banned
2San said:
So I hear people saying Dunban is a good character, but how do you actually make him useful? Is he useful if you yourself don't control him? Also can he properly hold agro? He doesn't seem to have many hate arts(or does he just deal the most damage?
He can do aggro no problem. Honestly, a ton better than Reyn. Once you get Dunban and beyond, Reyn is useless. Dunban's also effective as AI or player controlled.

Antagon

kiryogi said:
He can do aggro no problem. Honestly, a ton better than Reyn. Once you get Dunban and beyond, Reyn is useless. Dunban's also effective as AI or player controlled.

Tried to control Dunban myself, but that didn't exactly go well. To me, Reyn, Shulk and Sharla is the best combo in the game that I can do right now. Might try the Dunban, Shulk and Sharla combo with me controlling Shulk, but I'm guessing that that's still going to be a problem if you're fighting multiple mobs as Dunban doesn't seem to have any skills for aggroing groups.

My characters are level 33 right now and Dunban has at least 1 skill to draw all of the aggro off of another character.

If you're using Shulk's Shadow Eye then Dunban should have no problem dealing with mob aggro.

bubnbob

Banned
2San said:

Soaring Tempest is the answer

I run Shulk, Riki, Dunban. I decimate.

Phenomic

UberTag said:
Would appear that none of the GAME.co.uk orders have found their way to North America yet.

Perhaps tomorrow.

This is strange to me staring to make me question if 4 to 6 business days is even an accurate number, or is that just something they have listed on the website? I mean given it has only been 4 business days if you don't count Saturday, (USPS certainly delivers though) but I imagine they would have been 4 or 5 for the East Coast and 5 to 6 on the West Coast.

I wish I could have paid for tracking or something. I just want to know if it got chucked into the Atlantic Ocean or something.

kiryogi

Banned
Antagon said:
Tried to control Dunban myself, but that didn't exactly go well. To me, Reyn, Shulk and Sharla is the best combo in the game that I can do right now. Might try the Dunban, Shulk and Sharla combo with me controlling Shulk, but I'm guessing that that's still going to be a problem if you're fighting multiple mobs as Dunban doesn't seem to have any skills for aggroing groups.

Once I got Dunban, I did indeed went Dunban, Shulk, Carna/Sharla with me controlling Dunban. I can't completely recall what I did with him, as I'm currently using a very different character. But I was really effective with him.

Got this on Friday but finishing off the surprisingly great Trinity: Souls of Zill'Oll first. One thing I like about Trinity is how the sidequests feel fairly meaningful, get their own journal entries and are sometimes connected to previous quests to create a larger overall story. Anything like that in this game?

Also, are there many missables?

kiryogi

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Got this on Friday but finishing off the surprisingly great Trinity: Souls of Zill'Oll first. One thing I like about Trinity is how the sidequests feel fairly meaningful, get their own journal entries and are sometimes connected to previous quests to create a larger overall story. Anything like that in this game?

Yes, but you get an indicator telling you when you're about to lose that chance.

2San

Alright sounds good. So what are Dunban's core arts I should be looking at? Can you change the party NPC tactics in any way? It's feels so odd, that I don't have any control over them.

Ledsen

RPGCrazied said:
I have no clue what Zavvi ships. Since its free shipping, I doubt its royal mail or whatever that is. It was shipped last Monday. Day 7 of waiting.

Look at the site it says.

What service is used for your deliveries?
-

Is that FedEx? I doubt that either.

Royal Mail is just normal post.

bubnbob

Banned
2San said:
Alright sounds good. So what are Dunban's core arts I should be looking at? Can you change the party NPC tactics in any way? It's feels so odd, that I don't have any control over them.

What do you want them to do, exactly? Each person has their own "persona"

e.g. Sharla uses a gun, so her char will hang back and peck away, and heal when necessary. She will heal when you are injured. Reyn is a tank. He is meant to aggro and take the hits (he has a skill that allows him to equip Heavy Armor), while you go from behind (Back Slash) or the side (Side Slash), etc.

This isn't FF12. You don't have to set up AI scripts.

2San said:

In a party with anyone else but Reyn
Dunban
holds agro just fine. While he doesn't really have any arts to create agro himself, he can draw agro away from another character, plus he has aggro enhancing skills which buff his aggro from regular attacks.

Zafir

Baloonatic said:

I finished Trinity myself 2 months back, really enjoyed it. The sidequests in Xenoblade actually resemble the ones in trinity quite well really. It's the same kind of system, where you'll have a percentage of meaningful quests, and then the rest are filler quests which don't give any story, just killing mobs, finding items etc.

In the same sense of the named NPCs which you bump into in taverns or guilds in Trinity, you'll get the same kind of thing in towns in Xenoblade. Where you'll come across quite a few named individuals which give insight about them and their connections to people when you talk to them. They'll also give quests, which build on them and their relationship to other named individuals in the town. As you progress through the story, more quests unlock which naturally keep building on their story.

Dear RPGCrazied,
USPS didn't deliver my package today. They think following the 8 to 10 day rule is set in stone. Tomorrow we'll get our copy? or today by UPS? lol.

DMPrince.

DMPrince said:
Dear RPGCrazied,
USPS didn't deliver my package today. They think following the 8 to 10 day rule is set in stone. Tomorrow we'll get our copy? or today by UPS? lol.

DMPrince.

I'm loving these open letters.

Alrus

2San said:

Make sure to get his aura that boost accuracy, and the one that gives haste, they're great. I would focus on the "agility when naked" skill tree at the begining, and use skill link to get agility boosting bonus from other characters. I stack him up with agility boosting gems (and aggro/haste/double attack gem on the weapon) and only use light equipment. He handles thing just fine.

If there is multiple aggro, I usally tell my party to focus on the mob I already have aggro on, then attack the other ones to get them to target me (and use his skill that takes aggro from other char) and it goes fine. Honestly I'm unable to play Reyn anymore, he's just too slow and he doesn't deal that much dmg.

Alrus said:
Make sure to get his aura that boost accuracy, and the one that gives haste, they're great. I would focus on the "agility when naked" skill tree at the begining, and use skill link to get agility boosting bonus from other characters. I stack him up with agility boosting gems (and aggro/haste/double attack gem on the weapon) and only use light equipment. He handles thing just fine.

If there is multiple aggro, I usally tell my party to focus on the mob I already have aggro on, then attack the other ones to get them to target me (and use his skill that takes aggro from other char) and it goes fine. Honestly I'm unable to play Reyn anymore, he's just too slow and he doesn't deal that much dmg.

How does the 'agility when naked' work with light armour?

Alrus

Die Squirrel Die said:
How does the 'agility when naked' work with light armour?

It doesn't but considering it is the last skill on that tree, might as well use some kind of armor for gem slotting at the begining. I'll run him naked when he gets the skill, so in about 4000 SP...

2San

bubnbob said:
What do you want them to do, exactly? Each person has their own "persona"

e.g. Sharla uses a gun, so her char will hang back and peck away, and heal when necessary. She will heal when you are injured. Reyn is a tank. He is meant to aggro and take the hits (he has a skill that allows him to equip Heavy Armor), while you go from behind (Back Slash) or the side (Side Slash), etc.

This isn't FF12. You don't have to set up AI scripts.
It's about prioritizing certain attacks over others. I'll have beefed up certain arts and they still pick other less important ones over others. I know it's not necessary to beat the game or anything like that. Still I would've prefered more control.
Alrus said:

Die Squirrel Die said:
In a party with anyone else but Reyn
Dunban
holds agro just fine. While he doesn't really have any arts to create agro himself, he can draw agro away from another character, plus he has aggro enhancing skills which buff his aggro from regular attacks.

Alright thanks. So is the evasion tank viable from the get go?

Is there an 'arts stealth' gem? Are they easy to find/obtain? I would assume if you wanted to play with a main that isn't Reyn/Dunban, using arts would be kind of a pain.

Seik

Banned
Came back from work today, no game in the mailbox...:(

...BUT I received Big Bang Theory: Season 1-2-3...YAY! :D At least I have this to watch while I'm waiting!

HolyTaco

Mistle said:
I'm 10 hours in at lvl 23. Seems odd to have a 7 hour time difference at the same level. I guess this game does let the player decide what to do and such, though.

There may be a little idle time there for me in that 17 hrs :/ I often get up to do little things like make some food or something and leave the game on so I can hear/look at it because it's so pretty. I also went back to colony 9 and spent a lot of time doing low level quests which didn't net me a good amount of xp vs how much time I put into them.

SecretMoblin said:
Is there an 'arts stealth' gem? Are they easy to find/obtain? I would assume if you wanted to play with a main that isn't Reyn/Dunban, using arts would be kind of a pain.
I've used Sharla as my main for hours now. It's fabulous. It's like you can choose what role you want to play within the party and go for it. She's like playing a healer/buffer in an MMO.

Leeness

Oh my god, I just purchased this game, even though I have almost no money. I don't even care, I'm so excited.

33wtytk.jpg

It's zavvi, so I doubt I'll see it for another month or something, but whatever.

ivysaur12

Banned
Leeness said:
Oh my god, I just purchased this game, even though I have almost no money. I don't even care, I'm so excited.

33wtytk.jpg

It's zavvi, so I doubt I'll see it for another month or something, but whatever.

Holy fuck, that .gif

Stage On

8BitsAtATime said:
I just check my status 365games.co.uk - It says being Despatched. Fuck yeah!

Im guessing its going to take a week or so to get here.

Lucky, My status still says processing refund so I had to send em an e-mail asking "what happened to sending it on monday?"

wrowa

Dunban pissed me off when I used him in my party, so I threw him out again. He always left the party in battle and attacked other monsters outside of the mob. He wasn't listening to the focus command either. Total pain in the ass.

RPGCrazied

DMPrince said:
Dear RPGCrazied,

DMPrince.

Tonight would be awesome, but I doubt it. If not by tomorrow, I've lost all hope. :p

Die Squirrel Die said:
Does anybody have anymore tips for getting unique monsters to respawn? I've tried warping there and back, saving and reloading, changing the time of day, everything I can think of and the Violent Andante just will not respawn. It's starting to become a considerable pain in the arse.

Finally it spawned. After an hour and a half of saving, reloading, running around, saving again, reloading again, changing time of day, saving again, etc. Finally ran into him on a rainy day, in a completely different area to where the quest said he would be.

I've taken to running from Unique's fights for now, since I really don't want to go through all that again.

Top Bottom